AuthorContent
jojoe70
Thomson, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8937052

Hello all,
I am a new newbie with my collection of hoya's.I have a H. carnosa 'Rubra' Krimson princess.I bought one labeled H. linearis an EA plant that turned out to be a Rhipsalis 'sulcata'.Not a good day!!!

I had to have surgery and the DH got me a Hoya from lowe's.It's an EA plant, labeled H.Bilobata and under that it had Hoya 'tsungii'.It's different than my carnosa,the leaves are thin and velvet feeling.The leaves almost feel brittle.I know there are a lot of different Hoya's,even succulent ones.The care varies from plan to plant.I can't find much about this one besides the fact that someone made a mistake naming it or something & you can find it under 3 names that I've found.I also found it being called DS-70.

All I need is care instructions,potting information,likes & dislikes,water,humidity needs ,light requirements etc...
If anyone will help me with this I will appreciate it greatly!!!! Have a lovely day.

Jo

Thumbnail by jojoe70
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jojoe70
Thomson, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8937058

Here's another picture of it.The leaves are brittle or fragile feeling and the smallest break white sap drips every where, that's what I think the white spots are that's all over the leaves.The leaves also feel kind of like velvet.They're just thin and brittle feeling.

Thumbnail by jojoe70

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8938534

jojo,
they are "different' but very similar. There's alot of debate over Hoya names, and as they get more popular some vendors start attaching their own names to them. Best to always do your research before purchasing.
General rule, while most hoya's like to be grown a bit on the dry side, especially in winter, thin/small leaved ones will want more water than others. Also, while alot of Hoya's can take quite cool temps, some do not like at all.
I have H.bilobata and it is one I don't leave outside if the temps are going below 60 for any extended period of time. A few hours won't hurt but continuous would not be good for it. One thing no Hoya likes, is to be wet and cold. So always time your watering to make sure your plant will dry some before cooler temps set in.
There's tons of info on the web, just pick google "Hoya bilobata" and I'm sure you'll find the info you need.
Good luck with it and have fun, Hoya's are one of my favorites.

Hoya multiflora ( or javenica depending on who you ask LOL) Blooming now

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Vestia
San Francisco, CA

January 2, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #8951457

Hoya sp. DS-70 is very similar to H. bilobata, but not the same exactly. For a long time DS-70 was distributed as H. tsangii, which is quite different, and not widely available.

I find them easy to grow in morning sun or very bright diffused light, just drying between waterings, except in very warm weather.

It's easy to root cuttings on these too, so you can make some "back-up" plants.

Somebody should get around to naming this plant, so we can all stop saying DS-70...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America