Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sustainable Alternatives: The Bugs That Ate Monsanto - New Info

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 33, Views: 291
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8937899

Grist reports that the EPA is acknowledging the rise of Bt and Roundup-resistant insects in Monsanto crops; EPA scientists are insisting that Monsanto implement a "remedial action plan" - but will they?

http://www.grist.org/industrial-agriculture/2011-12-13-the-bugs-that-ate-monsanto

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8938268

GG - not if they can buy there way out of such a plan!

Here's some history about Monsanto:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8938292

Oh, I'm familiar with Monsanto. I just hope the EPA will stick to their guns; they so often don't.
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 25, 2011
12:58 AM

Post #8942056

who run's the EPA...??? any guesses...
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 5, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #8995634

This graphic explains the cryonysm going on - the head of the EPA is a former Monsanto lackey.

Thumbnail by SoFlaCommercial
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #8996589

My family is seriously thinking about moving back to Europe!

http://www.pan-europe.info/Archive/Banned and authorised.htm
ErzsebetF
Swansea, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #8996599

I urge all of you to check out the Mother Earth News website on all the information about Monsanto! Find the petition to sign to protect the small farmers and big farmers from Monsanto! They are bad, bad, bad, bad. Can you imagine being sued because your crops have been cross-pollinated with Monsanto GMO crops and Monsanto suing you for patent infringements? What a crock!
I think Monsanto and GMO crops are the bane to the small gardener and large farmers of this country. They don't help quality of life, they wreck it!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #8996648

Honeybee, Europe does permit GMO crops, though. Specific countries like France don't allow them, but others do.
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

February 6, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #8997481

Greenhouse ...they have recently been banned from seven other Euro Nation's...I have been deleted here twice so far not looking for a third... so I'll stop there, there also banned in Mexico...
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 7, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #8997657

MrPappyG: I hate to see your posts deleted, but the Sustainable Forum deals with topics often that get close to political discussions. Don't know why but political discussions get slashed. So just stick to the facts and concerns to gardeners so we can see all your posts!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #8997873

GG - my brother and sister-in-law have already sold their home (in England) and are moving to France next week. It'll probably be a couple of years before we can follow them.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 7, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #8998206

What a shame that we can't just stake out parts of our own country to be GMO free. We can't all move to Europe, and there are other downsides besides the cost. You know once we were so proud of this country and its ability to grow safe healthy food. I still remember Victory Gardens. Where I am in W. Alabama there is still a predominance of rural folk, raised on corn, black eye peas, and mustard greens.

It is not unusual to see 100 + year olds pushing carts in the grocery store.

Im not giving up yet on the USA.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #8999134

Honybee, where are they moving to in France? And are you busy learning French yourselves?

Gloria, that's heartening but this country is still very frustrating if you're trying to avoid certain subtances and practices...
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 9, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9000129

greenhouse gal: still the bottom line of what is available in any (non dictatorship) market is supply and demand. If the people demand clean air, fewer toxins, and healthy food they will get it eventually.

Recently a Walmart produce manager said to me "the future is organics". Walmart is trying to shape-up.
I can't see that they have accomplished that yet, but they say they are trying.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9000199

GG -
Quoting:Honybee, where are they moving to in France? And are you busy learning French yourselves?

They are moving to Lourdes (Midi-Pyrénées) with the plan to purchase their own B&B business. My sister-in-law is a native German, and also speaks English, French and Spanish.

My hubby knows French and German, my daugther knows Spanish. I can only speak English.

I think between the lot of us we have it covered! LOL

Growing vegetables is probably the same in any language ^:-)^

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9000225

In Europe, regulations state that all food and animal feed containing more than 0.5 percent GM ingredients are required to have strict labeling and traceability, and many supermarkets proudly boast the fact that they don't sell GM foods.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9000253

Honeybee, we have friends in the Aude and the Dordogne; we love the south of France! I don't know the Midi-Pyrenées though.

Darius and Gloria, labelling is the key. We can't vote with our wallets if we're not told what's in the food so we can make that choice. Unfortunately the FDA isn't willing to impose that obligation on food producers, using the cop-out that there is no difference between GMO and non-GMO so labels aren't necessary.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9000276

GG - my brother is an avid cyclist and enters many competitive races. He also loves to garden. I think he's hoping to marry the two! He and his wife are both vegetarians so they are planning to purchase a home with a large gardening area.

The Midi-Pyrénées is quite mountainous from what I can gather.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9000574

I think that would include the Aude department, and yes, it's very mountainous. In the recent snows the little peaks were closed to traffic. We have driven them often and would not want to do that if there were any ice or snow!

The vegetable gardens in France are wonderful; they should love it!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 9, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9000910

Unfortunately, with GMOs you have to assume that it is, unless there is a specific statement that the product contains no GMOs.

http://opposingdigits.com/forums/post-62.html

Actually most GMOs and also high fructose corn syrup are in things that you shouldn't be eating anyway if you care about your health.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9000983

Monsanto corn: coming soon to a Wal-Mart near you
http://sumofus.org/campaigns/walmart-monsanto/
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

February 9, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9001214

I love this post, I work diligently to try to stop this, Monsanto is the most Heinous Corporation in the world...when I started working on this four years ago nobody even had an Idea who or What I was talking about, I'm glad to see it's come this far. They were stopped once in 1996, for selling GMO Tomato's and Corn to unsuspecting Farmer's, Kind of Curious that was the year when a lot of "FOOD" ALLERGIES", showed up, Monsanto was forced to label, and no one bought they're seed, a few Years Later all they needed was a friend in the White House and they got that, and here we are.
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 12, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9004630

Okay, so totally NOT trying to get too political here (politics is too toxic), but OMG - I just found out that Monsanto actually has a 40%-80% market share of the HOME VEGETABLE MARKET! Check out this link for dealers. There's also a 'products' tab which lists the actual names of the varieties of seeds that they have developed. I had no clue!

http://us.seminis.com/products/hg_dealer.asp

There some favorites like san marzano which although they are not GMO, that particular variety is owned by Monsanto. So now, I have to totally go over my tomatogrowers.com catalog and re-figure everything out what I'm going to buy - dangit!

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9004673

Whoa, now, SoFla...

I think you are confusing Hybrid veggies with being part of the devil's workshop. No need to fear. As for your preference to San Marzano, the hybrid version is Super Marzano; don't buy it if you are looking to save seeds.

As for looking at your favored seed suppliers, if you see a hybrid and it worries you, don't buy it. Tomato Grower's Supply list products as OP, heirloom, or hybrid so that should not be an issue, just read their description.

As for other companies listed, those don't mean they sell GMO products either, better to check the Safe Seed Pledge for companies if you want the real scoop.

And yes, Monsanto does own a large share of the vegetable seeds available, this is why so many of us are alerting others to either buy OP or from SSP companies or to encourage seed saving so we can maintain a diverse seed supply.

Shoe

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9004778

Good points about OP seeds, and those vendors who use the SSP, Shoe!

Boulder CO bans GM crops on county-owned land
http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/boulder-co-bans-gm-crops-on-county-owned-land/
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 13, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9004967

Here is Seed Savers' Safe Seed Pledge Page:

http://www.seedsavers.org/Content.aspx?src=Copy [2] of aboutus.htm

Seed Savers has been an advocate for heirloom seeds for quite a while now.

Safe Seed Pledge Page for Italian Seed & Tool company.

http://www.italianseedandtool.com/category/italian_seed_and_tool.your_safety.safe_seed_pledge/

This message was edited Feb 13, 2012 8:59 AM
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9004996

darius, that is the best and most hopeful, and helpful article of good news I've read regarding GMO in the U.S. Thanks!

Shoe

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9005026

ditto what Shoe wrote.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9005161

Monsanto inaddition to holding patents on seeds and owning seed companies, they have begun to invest in and acquire honeybee biogenetic technology companies .

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9Q1M0UO0.htm

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9005445

Yeah, and that's been awhile. I haven't heard anything new.

Right now the country of India is suing Monsanto, a first. In my opinion it's about time... with multiple thousands of farmer suicides over GMO cotton. (This lawsuit doesn't address that fact.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EHUp21Qw2A

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9006009

Maybe the world is waking up, Darius.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9006200

Here's a Flashback that's really funny...

Flashback: GM food banned in Monsanto canteen
[HYPERLINK@www.sott.net]

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9006271

That's an old article, but I love it anyway!
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 14, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9007168

i wasn't saying any of those seeds were GMO's - just stating that many varieties of seeds, whether they're OP/Hybrid are actually owned by Seminis, which is owned by Monsanto, that's all.

it's just them hedging their bets. they realize that there's a niche in 'non-gmo' seeds, so they're buying certain varieties of 'regular' seed so they can still make money. It's like a dairy farmer who milks cows also getting a whole bunch of goats because he realizes that some people like goat's milk.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America