-
AuthorContent
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8938880

An aunt who has been gone for years owned these pitchers. They now sit on a shelf in my kitchen. Just wonder if any one can tell me when these styles were popular?

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8939576

I'll take a wild guess and say the 40"s your are so fortunate to have them, they are really nice.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8943257

40's would be my guess as well, however it that is true flow blue for the pitcher that is in middle back row, then you are looking at 1800's. Do you see any markings on the bottom of the pitchers?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8943258

40's would be my guess as well, however it that is true flow blue for the pitcher that is in middle back row, then you are looking at 1800's. Do you see any markings on the bottom of the pitchers?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8944183

I believe the little red one on the top right, as well as the lime green one, may be Hall Pottery.
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8944213

Carolyn22, there is a mark on the bottom. Am attaching a photo of actual mark. 'milk jug' seems to be a bright gold fired into finish; other part of design is a dull gold color

gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8944223

Merrymary, they are indeed Hall Pottery. Here is a photo of the marks. What does this tell me?

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8944275

Hall China started somewhere around 1902 in East Liverpool, Ohio. That area was the main mecca for potter for quite some time. As pottery in the USA became in higher and higher demand, many of the companies moved across the river, to West Virginia. Hall remained behing and expanded in Ohio. They were known for developing the single-firing technique, by eliminating lead in their glazes...therefore becoming far more prevelant in the food-use potteries. Their tea pots are very collectable...and I personally collect their Golden Glo pieces. Keep checking on places like ebay, to get an idea as to what your pieces are worth.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8944302

Just an FYI... keep in mind when looking at referance books and price guidelines, of which Hall has many, that current prices are determined by whether the writer has the item and wishes to sell (the price can be inflated) or wants the item to buy (the price can be artificially low). I like to think of the price guide quote as a 'wishful thinking' price.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8944639

FLStu...I totally agree...I use multiple listings on ebay to get a bisic "area" price range...and then look to see what items SELL for, not what they're listed for.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8944643

MM - I do that as well!

Gessie - I was trying to see the hallmark that is under the stamped word 'milk jug'. I cannot make it out, can you?
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8945082

C22-not really. The top part seems to be an elaborate script type E??SCC (little teapot emblem); a line; the word 'winona'; a smugmark then the number 946.

the ? means an illegible letter.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8945408

Is this the flow blue pattern?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/flow-blue-winona-4pc-place-setting-1910
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8945491

CGardener-that is the pattern.

Anybody tell me how to know if the pattern is fired or a transfer. I always viewed these as a group of interesting old pots. This detective work is intriguing.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8945498

Flow blue should be fired. The blue pattern tends to spread or 'flow' during this process.

I love flow blue. Typically pieces like pitchers, tureens or platters tend to bring more than plates. This is of course, depending upon the shape of the peice.

C

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8945511

gessie, the difference between those things is something you learn to recognize after you've handled and looked at enough pieces. If you look up transferware and flow blue and study some pictures, you will begin to see how they appear and how they differ. Better yet, visit an antique store and hold them in your hands and examine the pieces close up.

The flow blue part is a technique where the transfer with the blue is applied and fired, causing the blue to spread or "flow", hence the name ... the floral pattern on your flow blue pitcher is most likely a transfer. I can't imagine it was painted by hand. You can have transfers on pieces of flow blue.

The term Flow Blue itself broadly describes predominantly hard, white-bodied earthenwares decorated with underglazed transfer printed designs. Once applied, these designs were caused to bleed or "flow" into the undecorated portions of the vessel. The addition of lime or chloride of ammonia into the protective shell of the fire-clay sagger surrounding the wares while firing the glaze produced the desired "flowing" effect.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2011 2:08 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America