Photo by Melody

Article: Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady of wildflowers!: Wonderful article Carrie.

Communities > Forums > Article: Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady of wildflowers!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady of wildflowers!Replies: 9, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8939152

Thank you, I learned some facts about Lady Bird that I didn't know.
She was a wonderful person and one of the reasons that why I love native plants and wildflowers.
We visit the Wildflower Center often, it is a wonderful place and every time we go there we come back excited and recharged with renewed passion for our wonderful native plants.
Here is a picture I took along I20 near Dallas, a field of Lupinus texensis.

Thumbnail by frostweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 22, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8939177

Hi Carrie: I really enjoyed this article, and I appreciate all of the research you put into. So often we don't apreciate the women who have contributed to our garden sense on "this side of the pond". Lady Bird Johnson is one of them. It is to her that we owe the summer blooming flowers along our Southern Highways. Some times a trip worth taking is just a drive to see what the Highway Department is growing this year!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8939658

Thank you both for your kind comments. There is A LOT about LadyBird online. It was more deciding what not to include...she worked hard for Civil Rights, for instance, and was very interested in education. She was a role model in many ways.

gardenpom

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

December 22, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9364477

Very interesting. I knew a lot about this woman, but we certainly owe her a debt of gratitude. Anyone who has been in Washington and seen the beautiful flowers there can attest to that.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9364755

I totally agree, gardenpom, Washington DC's landscaping is beautiful. Thanks for your comment.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9365460

Loved the article, Carrie. Very informative and well-written. I have been to the LBJ ranch. Maybe on my next visit to TX I will walk the trails around the lake and visit the wildflower center. Would love to go when the bluebonnets are in bloom.

Karen

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9365551

Now don't misunderstand me, Karen, because although I live in Texas, I have never been to the wildflower center. I went once to Austin (my older daughter was looking at UT Austin) but didn't know about Lady Bird Johnson then. Now it is not really handy to go. However, we did drive up from Austin to Dallas once when the bluebonnets were blooming. They reminded me very much of grape hyacinths--maybe that color has a fragrance. Thanks for your comment.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9367959

I hope you get a chance to visit some of those places someday. When I get a chance to go back to TX, I hope maybe I could come and visit you. Have no idea when that would be.

Karen

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9367967

Let me know, Karen, for sure. In fact, I dropped in on you un-announced, didn't I?

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9367975

LOL! Well, it was a matter of confusion. He, hee!

Yes, when I do go the TX again, I will be sure to let you know.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady of wildflowers! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Delightful and informative CLScott 4 Dec 23, 2011 8:32 AM
Very nice article Cville_Gardener 1 Dec 22, 2011 3:37 PM
Wonderful CajuninKy 1 Dec 23, 2011 8:27 AM
Well done! Thanks for sharing. Ludwigsfriend 1 Dec 26, 2011 7:59 AM
I live in Austin soive2000 1 Dec 26, 2011 7:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America