Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Fruits: treating soil for mealybugs?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Fruits
bookmark
Forum: Tropical FruitsReplies: 3, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

December 22, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8939628

The mealybugs are after my Meyer Lemon and Mexican Sweet Lime again. Aaarrgh. They had them last winter, but once I got them outside this spring I treated them with Sevin and I thought I'd gotten rid of them. All summer they looked good. Now that they are back in, the mealybugs have shown up again. I've got three nice lemons coming along - one starting to ripen and I don't want the plants to get too stressed.

I think I remember reading somewhere that you really have to treat the soil in the pot in some way to really get rid of them. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #8973000

90% rubbing alcohol from the drugstore. Spray it on the plant and yes, if needed, soak the soil. Lots of those bugs hiding underground. Perhaps even take the plant, roots and all out of the pot, spray and report with new soil.
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

January 29, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #8987015

What about using 70% isopropyl? I have almost a gallon of that. I imagine it would work just as well.

gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #8987940

Some people do prefer the 70%. I have never seen any damage using 90% and am indeed intent on killing those bugs.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America