Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Wish List

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 35, Views: 385
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8942409

I will be making an order in the next few days.

Topping my wish list is:

Lakeside Paisley Print

What's on yours?

Thanks,

Brenda

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8943900

Hi Brenda, are you as excited about spring as me? Sounds like it :) I love Lakeside Paisley Print, where are you ordering from?
I put in my order last week but it will not ship till spring. I got Eternal Flame Hosta , Brass Ring starter plug,Great Expectations Hosta, Midnight at the Oasis starter plug, Andrew Hosta starter plug. I have ordered from New Hampshire Hostas and they are a very good company I have ordered from them before and have left feedback on the Garden Watch Dog, also I started a thread under Hosta forum called 'Mail Order experiences,good or bad' I have a lot of pictures and a lot of comments. The pictures were the important thing to me, I wanted to document what the Hostas look like when they arrive, You can see how they are packed and everything. Hope you enjoy your new Hostas I will post when mine arrive.
susan
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8943940

I am ordering from "In the country garden and gifts". What are you ordering?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8943991

I have to admit... I have nothing on my list for this year.

I may just wait to see how the gardens look this year... I have a few larger ones i need to move from IL to Wisc.

I know I have a sheet of paper in a file that lists a few wants, and i have a few in my "wants list" as reminders...

but last year I picked up quite a few -- so i think i'm content for a while. Though I have not looked at Naylor's catalog yet... that is such eye candy.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8944351

Oh well when you look at Naylor's catalogue you will probably go crazy. There is definitely eye candy!

Plantnutz, This is what I am getting:
Eternal Flame Hosta
Brass Ring, starter plug
Great Expectations
Andrew, starter plug
Midnight at the oasis,starter

This is the fourth 'Great Expectations' I have ordered, I got the first two from Yahoo coop so they were tiny liners and the third one was a free gift from Hallson's or something, and it was also a liner. I just want a big hosta!! If I don't get a big 'Great Expectations' this time I will give up or maybe I will call Hallson's...Hummmmm.
susan

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8944530

Susan -- GE, from what I have heard, is a SLOW grower. mine have been in the yard since i bought in 06, no idea how long before that... they still look like liners. OH -- I did purchase one, to put next to the one i already had... they are the same size. small.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8944680

Yes, that is what I heard. That they are slow growers I mean. That's why I wanted to start off with something bigger so I can enjoy it sooner and I keep getting stuck with liners! :( sigh.
hostages
Wyoming, MN

December 28, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8945590

GE is a beauty with size. Mine is 8 yrs old and about 2'x3' with very large leaves. A favorite as it has matured.

Gary
dhaven
Solon, IA

December 29, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8946609

GE is my favorite hosta, and I have 3 mature ones in my garden, as well as a dozen younger plants. The largest of the mature plants measures approximately 28 inches tall by almost 6 feet across, and these first 3 were grown from tissue culture tiny starts, each with a single leaf the size of a thumbnail, and a single tiny root. There are three key factors to growing GE well. It is one of the few hostas that actually requires specific conditions to grow well. Or at all. If not given these conditions, it will, over the course of a couple of years, dwindle and disappear. The requirements are as follows.

First and most importantly, plant GE very shallowly. It will be a large plant, so the natural inclination is to plant it deeply, but this is the cause of the notorious GE dwindle and die. This one wants the crown right at the surface, barely covered with dirt. Don't mulch it heavily, either, and don't put any mulch at all right around the base of the plant.

Second, and almost as important, GE likes sun. Lots of sun. I've grown it in absolutely full sun, but at least 1/2 sun is essential for good growth as well as for the best coloration, and 2/3 sun is probably better. Anything less than 1/2 sun, and even if GE is planted at the correct shallow depth, it will be very, very slow to grow.

Third, lots and lots of water. I water my mature hostas very deeply and less frequently, but until a new GE is well established, I recommend watering it at least once a week, fairly heavily. I do not fertilize, but do amend the soil with peat moss and a bit of compost at planting time, mostly to make it loose enough to promote easy root growth.

Given these three things, GE will grow well and be one of the most beautiful hostas in your garden. I grow around 900 varieties, and GE remains my favorite. I've sold a great many GE with these planting instructions, and never had anyone come back for a replacement. And I've planted out several hundred GE for later sale, many in full sun, and been delighted by the good growth rate.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that it is often possible to find a nice sized GE in a pot at a local nursery. Just remember that these plants have been greenhouse grown and heavily fertilized in order to produce as much foliage as possible. This means that after they are planted in the ground, they typically will come back with less foliage, and will take 2-3 years to put on much new growth, as the root growth catches up with the foliage. You should also plant these potted GEs at a shallower level than they are potted, or you will face the dreaded GE dwindle/die problem.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8946619

Mine is complete shade. I have maybe two areas in my yard that gets about an hour and half of sun - mid day... I guess that will have to do, unless i bring it "home" to IL where I can give it full sun.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8947294

Thanks dhaven!!! That sounds like very good advice. I will check my babies in the spring and move them to a more sunny location, also make sure their crowns are not too deep. My nursery bed is in full shade but as I create wider beds I move them around when they get bigger. I love GE and hopefully with your advice they will have a very good year! :)
susan
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8947800

I'll have to see if I still have a GE and try your secrets. I think mine have diminished and possibly even disappeared!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2012
10:52 PM

Post #8952374

So far I've ordered:

'Moon Shadow'
'Raspberry Sundae'
'Irish Luck'

I almost always overestimate my ability to clear space for new hostas, so this year I kept my order from Hallson's small. But I can 100% guarantee that I'll have more plants on this list before you can say "last frost date." :P

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2012
3:07 AM

Post #8953868

Just got two more off eBay, a company called 'Gardengreezehostas'. I have done business with them before and I gave it a big thumbs up they were great. Anyway I got:

'Valley's Glacier'
'White Feather'

I know! Clear more space.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #8970598

Hey Kayly, I think we're working on being twins, because I already ordered 'Raspberry Sundae' and Irish Luck' too!

My spring orders so far (I'm REALLY trying to go slowly this year):
Raspberry Sundae
Irish Luck
Purple Heart
Dancing Queen
Majesty
Manhattan
Thunderbolt

I bought a lot last fall when my local hosta supplier cut prices, so I'm kind of waiting to see what they will carry in the spring. =)
I like seeing the plants in person!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #8970889

I just ordered from Hallson's, got Emerald Ruff Cut and Lakeside cup cake, that's it for the hostas the rest were coneflowers. On ILoveHostas.net I have an unconfirmed order for 'Remember Me', does anyone have that?
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #8980674

Hah! Eleven, I was very close to also ordering 'Purple Heart.' I held off for the moment because I have some similar-ish plants in the only space I have right now to put it, but if I clear space somewhere else...it's all mine.

I got 'Thunderbolt' last year. So, yep...twins so far. :)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #8981159

K -- i think i lost my thunderbird last year... it was a decent size when i bought it, and each year it got smaller, and last yr it just disappeared.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #8981840

Aw, sorry Terese. Mine was new (but also decent sized) last year. I hear it's a slow grower, but worth the wait. I thought it looked pretty last year even though it was smallish.

This year I think I'm going to lay down soaker hose under new mulch to combat the soul-sucking maple in my front yard. It's a red maple, and seems to be less assertive than others, but it's still a maple. Hopefully if I keep things well watered I won't have to struggle to get decent size out of my hostas. I hear water is the key if you're going to choose to fight a thuggish tree.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #8993736

I just filled up my virtual shopping cart at Naylor Creek...and then decided I should really wait until my husband finds a new job. :(

Items in the abandoned cart included...

'Cranberry Wine'
'Olympic Sunrise'
'Fragrant Queen'
'Dragon Warrior'
'Obscene Gesture'

*sigh*
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #8994179

Oh Karly, I feel your pain; my hosta addiction has been challenged the last couple of years as I am the only one employed in my household the past couple of years - it is Ruff! I keep praying my DH will find a good job with benefits so I can retire in a couple of years!!!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #8994273

I'm sorry to hear this ladies, I know things can get Ruff, My husband retired early on disability about 7 years ago and I have been the only one working. I thought things were looking pretty good till he was in an accident last Wednesday now I'm out of work too because I have activated FMLA. I'm glad it happened during tax season because at least I will get a little money from that. I will also be praying that your husbands find a job and please pray that mine gets back on his feet soon.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9006023

There sure are some nice people left in this world !! :)))
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

February 14, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9006267

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. The discussion re 'Great Expections' has been enlightening. My GE bought in 2006 has been slow to increase. I may dig it up and plant a little higher. In the meantime my 'Dream Queen' is growing gangbusters. 'Dream Weaver' was a pricier plant at purchase but not doing as well. I believe both are sports of GE.

Thumbnail by irawon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9006325

That is a very, very beautiful hosta irawon, Is that Great Expectations' mine are still small I think I ordered a bigger one for spring. I also enjoyed the post about Great Expectations, it was great information. My Dream Queen didn't do anything last year. I think it was in shock from shipment, then I had it in the shade. Hope this year is better.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

February 14, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9006397

No Virginia, that's 'Dream Queen', bought in 2007. This is 'Great Expectations' bought in 2006and then "Dream Weaver' next bought in 2008.

Thumbnail by irawon   Thumbnail by irawon
Click an image for an enlarged view.

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9006599

'Dream Queen' is a really pretty one!

Are the rest of you like me at this time of year? I become completely and totally obsessed with looking at hosta photos from February through April, when I become more obsessed with combing the garden for pips and counting eyes. lol
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

February 14, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9006729

Sure am, like the rest of you can't wait till spring. I've been listing hostas by date of purchase and just finished making an alphabetical list A to Z, to which I can refer quickly as to whether I have purchased it or not. There are so many hostas beginning with Shade, Paradise and so on that it gets quite confusing. It's getting harder to remember what I have. Last year I bought a second 'Paradise Joyce' , not realizing that I already had it. It would be interesting to start threads with Shade in the name etc. I would do it but I don't have any pictures at the moment. Perhaps, this summer!!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9006858

I love that 'Dream Queen' and the other two are beautiful also. I got two GE from yahoo coop last year in spring and they did pretty well, then I ordered a larger one that has not come yet.
I spend a lot of time looking and have actually gotten some good deals but I do not want any more liners, less they are free. :)

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9006883

I had my Great Expectations for about 20 years. Barely grew at all. I moved it from its spot so I could plant a Redbud tree and it died a year later. I like my Dream Queen better. I won't buy another GE.

Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim
Click an image for an enlarged view.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9006948

dhaven wrote:GE is my favorite hosta, and I have 3 mature ones in my garden, as well as a dozen younger plants. The largest of the mature plants measures approximately 28 inches tall by almost 6 feet across, and these first 3 were grown from tissue culture tiny starts, each with a single leaf the size of a thumbnail, and a single tiny root. There are three key factors to growing GE well. It is one of the few hostas that actually requires specific conditions to grow well. Or at all. If not given these conditions, it will, over the course of a couple of years, dwindle and disappear. The requirements are as follows.
First and most importantly, plant GE very shallowly. It will be a large plant, so the natural inclination is to plant it deeply, but this is the cause of the notorious GE dwindle and die. This one wants the crown right at the surface, barely covered with dirt. Don't mulch it heavily, either, and don't put any mulch at all right around the base of the plant.
Second, and almost as important, GE likes sun. Lots of sun. I've grown it in absolutely full sun, but at least 1/2 sun is essential for good growth as well as for the best coloration, and 2/3 sun is probably better. Anything less than 1/2 sun, and even if GE is planted at the correct shallow depth, it will be very, very slow to grow.
Third, lots and lots of water. I water my mature hostas very deeply and less frequently, but until a new GE is well established, I recommend watering it at least once a week, fairly heavily. I do not fertilize, but do amend the soil with peat moss and a bit of compost at planting time, mostly to make it loose enough to promote easy root growth.
Given these three things, GE will grow well and be one of the most beautiful hostas in your garden. I grow around 900 varieties, and GE remains my favorite. I've sold a great many GE with these planting instructions, and never had anyone come back for a replacement. And I've planted out several hundred GE for later sale, many in full sun, and been delighted by the good growth rate.
The other thing you need to be aware of is that it is often possible to find a nice sized GE in a pot at a local nursery. Just remember that these plants have been greenhouse grown and heavily fertilized in order to produce as much foliage as possible. This means that after they are planted in the ground, they typically will come back with less foliage, and will take 2-3 years to put on much new growth, as the root growth catches up with the foliage. You should also plant these potted GEs at a shallower level than they are potted, or you will face the dreaded GE dwindle/die problem.

This article from dhaven was very helpful for me. I will move mine to a sunnier spot in the spring. I think most people think hostas need shade but some actually do need some sun. I will not give up on GE! I ended up with three liners last year, nothing wrong with that except they are slow and so I ordered a large one for the spring and I know just where to plant it. :)
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9006980

My GE received full sun from noon on. It really liked it and the centers would turn pure white. It stayed in that same spot for 10 years. The spot I moved it to received the same amount of full sun. It was watered a lot in both spots. We have the highest water bill in the neighborhood because I water so much.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9007145

I hear ya! Dido on the water bill.

i
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

February 22, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9015963

I've heard that GE doesn't liked to be moved. I'm a little conflicted about digging mine up and planting it higher. Any comments and advice would be appreciated.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

February 22, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9016008

I have to narrow down this wish list:

Alligator Shoes
Alvatine Taylor
Amazing Grace
Arc de Triomphe
Atlantis
Awakening Angel
Band of Gold
Blue Baron
Blue Boy
Blue Ice
Blue Krinkles
Blue Whirls
Captain's Adventure
Center of Attention
Charlotte's Web
Christmas Pageant
Clifford's Forest Fire
Clovelly
Dancing Mouse
Darwin's Standard
Deane's Dream
Devon Green
Dixie Chickadee
dream Maker
Emerald Scepter
Eye Declare
Fickle Blue Jeans
Fragrant Dream
Gemini Moon
Georgia Sweetheart
Ghost Spirit
Goodness Gracious
Gunther's Prize
Hadspen Heron
Hands Up
High Tide
Hollywood Lights
Hudson's Bay
Ice Age Trail
Irish Luck
Jaz
Key Lime Pie
Kinbotan
Korean Snow
Lakeside Butterball
Lakeside Cupcake
Lakeside Elfin Fire
Little Bo Peep
Lonesome Dove
Manhatten
Panache
Paradise Power
Prairie Moon
Prairie Sunset
Praying Hands
Rainbow's End
Raspberry Sorbet
Rootin Tootin
Royal Mouse Ears
Silver Star
Solar Flare
Sparkle
Tom Schmid
Whee

Hope I can control myself, when I go hosta shopping this spring.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2012 4:01 PM

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9016446

I usually dig them up when they are still dormant or just as the first sprout appears and they don't really seam to even notice. But if yours is big then just wait and see how the small ones do, I have two small ones and I don't mind experimenting, I will let you know. I am a little worried about my hostas because I hear they need a cold period of 40 days at below 40 and so far all winter we have only been below 40 6 times. It dips down to 20 or 30 but only for a couple of days then it's right back to 60 and tomorrow will be 70. Everything is sprouting and even the daffodils are blooming.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America