Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Oh Nuts: Multi Resource Hickories: hickories , good if you can beat the

Communities > Forums > Article: Oh Nuts: Multi Resource Hickories
bookmark
Forum: Article: Oh Nuts: Multi Resource HickoriesReplies: 3, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dordee
Silex, MO

December 26, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8943287

SQUIRRELS to them! I have 2 shagbarks in my yard, but the squirrels always beat me to them. I can only reach so high and tey get the best ones at the top. Get enough to eat while watching tv, keeps my hands busy. Thanks for the tips abut the husk and shells. Usually just throw them down the bluff.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8943341

Those pesky thievin' varmints take what few hickory nuts we have too! I'm wondering if the nuts farther up in the trees could be harvested with a fruit picker (basket on an extension pole)? I'll give it a try next year and report back.

I'm so glad I could relay info you could use.
Thanks for reading and posting,
Bev
Lorra
Indianapolis, IN

December 30, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8948322

Most of the few hickory nuts I get is by digging them up as soon as the critter leaves the site. Even with careful scrutiny, sometimes they are so well hidden I can't find it!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8948405

I found out the hard way that the squirrels bury black walnuts in our garden, after all my plants died at the end of one bed. I haven't found where they hide their cache of hickory nuts yet though, still looking!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Oh Nuts: Multi Resource Hickories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
i love em too taynors 4 Dec 28, 2011 5:53 AM
Hickory tree planted by nut delbertyoung56m 1 Dec 26, 2011 11:33 AM
Hickory trees swamporchid 1 Dec 26, 2011 11:53 AM
Hickories SoftAnnie 1 Dec 26, 2011 7:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America