morning glories

Lakeview, OH

here is a close up picture of what someone has said is a flower starting to bud, if so the flowers won't be very big will they?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Impossible to tell how big the flowers will be, Teddy. Those buds may continue to increase in size before they open. That is another "P" word process...grin

Lakeview, OH

I HATE that word! They should take that word out of the english language! I am just glad that they are still growing, as I said before, it was an experiment and I will say that it is a rousing success! I have the clamp on light and the regular light on it and it is plenty warm back here beside my desk, the windowsill was too cold, and not enough light. Here is another pic of another bunch of pods(I guess).

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Even though you hate the word Teddy, it too must be cultivated...you only make yourself crazy trying to rush Nature.

Lakeview, OH

My hubby says God bless you, I have been driving him crazy with all my experiments. Is it crazy to talk to your plants? I always say good night to my flowers and praise them and tell them they are doing a great job, is that nuts? Have I finally gone around the bend? I love them and they are growing like crazy, I was so excited when I saw the buds on the mg vine, I did not think they would bud yet because the plant is not that big, but I guess with the extra light and loving care I think it will survive.

No, it is not crazy to talk to them. Some growers even play music for them.

http://www.dovesong.com/positive_music/plant_experiments.asp

http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/plants-respond-to-music.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_effects_of_music_on_plants

This message was edited Dec 29, 2011 9:34 AM edited to repair link

This message was edited Dec 29, 2011 9:37 AM

Lakeview, OH

never thought about doing that.

Lakeview, OH

I decided to give it a go, I have light classical music on now, we are getting ready to go to the club and I thought I would let it play while we are gone. I have it on low and I hope that helps them out.

Palmdale, CA(Zone 8a)

I heard that talking and playing certain types pf music actually help plants grow! I thought that was interesting...

Lakeview, OH

I thoughtso too, that is why I am going to have classical music on sometime during the day.

Palmdale, CA(Zone 8a)

Lets find out if it truly works.

I repaired the link in the post above....there is some info on music for plants.

Lakeview, OH

I think it really works, when I left tonight the Amaryllis leaves were leaning toward the wall, I had soothing music on while we were gone, when we came back, I noticed that some of the leaves were leaning toward the speakers. I am going to try to find some way to put a speaker closer to the plants. The radio is the computer and the speakers are kinda far away, I wonder if distance has any part to play just as long as the plants can "hear" the music.

Lakeview, OH

I have a tape that is called Oceans by Ed Van Fleet, it has sounds of the oceans on it, do you think that will be soothing enough for the plants? I tried to find some more soothing than that, but will look tomorrow in the bedroom. I have some smooth jazz and some soft music I was thinking of the Gregorian Monks, but not sure how they would react to that. Will let you know what happens. If anybody has any suggestions to what kind of music to play, let me know, the radio won't pick up any soft music stations around here and I don't want my computer on while I am at work, so will play the music before I go to work for a couple of hours and see what happens.

Teddy...look at the links I posted a few posts back....some plants like heavy metal.....grin

Lakeview, OH

I am sorry, the plants might like heavy metal, but I don't, heavy metal makes me nervous and jittery and the ocean music soothes me. So the plants are just going to have to listen to the music I like on that particular day. Like one of the paragraphs said, plants have evolved and grew without any kind of special music, why would it matter now, this is my Amaryllis leaves. Just thought you might like to see them, I say goodnight to them before I go to bed and praise them and they love it.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

This is my little garden, I turned off the clamp on light, do you thin it will have a negative impact on the morning glories, I don't want to cook them as I have gotten them this far? I don't know about the plants but the music calms me down.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Palmdale, CA(Zone 8a)

Teddy-
You may have to wait a while to see the impact the music has on the plants, but it should work for you. As for the type of music, maybe it varies. Vigorous and fast-growing plants may like rock, while slow growing and beautiful plants may grow better with soft relaxing music like your ocean music. I'm not sure if that's right, but i use it and its proven to be a good way.

Lakeview, OH

Bloomfly22, I like the relaxing music, I think I will use it and see what happens. There is nothing like relaxing to Kenny G or the Oceans with Ed Van Fleet, I can actually sit back and feel the tension leave me. I could probably go to sleep with Kenny G playing in my ear,grin! I am going to see if I can find my MP3 player and see if he is on there, I think I have some of the Monks of Santo Domingo on there and if I can't get to sleep better. Their chants do a good job of relaxing me too. Hey themoonhowl, how about that light? Do you think the regular lamp will be enough light?

I think you need to be consistent with lighting....it confuses the plants. You are having success with the extra light from the clamp on...so why sabotage yourself? If the light change is too drastic, the MG plant may drop its buds.

Lakeview, OH

Ok, thanks again, I was afraid it was getting to be too much heat, as you can see it is not very far away from the plant. I sure do not want to sabotage myself, I am so anxious to see the flowers, I know, I know that word again, but I still talk to all my plants and play the music for them. They are really getting pampered! Do you have a link to where I can go about transplanting mg when it comes time to, I sure don't want to kill them, can you do the same hardening off with them as the other ones?

You can simply move the bulb a little farther from the plant to reduce the heat. But you don't want to reduce the amount of light, so keep the lamp on.

Yes, you can harden off the MG the same as other plants. Typically, MG's resent having their roots disturbed by transplanting. since they are annual plants, after hardening off, I would stick the whole pot in the ground...the roots will climb out of the drain holes. Otherwise, if you can prepare a hole and gently slide the whole rootball out of the pot and into the hole. then that might work.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7546845_transplant-morning-glory-plant.html

Lakeview, OH

I replaced the clamp on light bulb with one of the newer flourescent bulbs. It seems to be brighter than the regular ones. It is one of the kind that are curlique ones. Is that a good one to use? The other lamp is a regular one and has a regular bulb in it. I hope that it is one to use. The clamp on light is a little more than a foot from the plant, is that too close?

Lakeview, OH

Here is a picture of the new light bulb that I have replaced from a regular one to one of the cooler ones. I put my hand in front of the new bulb and it WAS cool! Could not believe how cool it was.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've always used fluorescent light for my plants--that way you get the light without extra heat. Plus they're more energy efficient. I use shop lights with the long fluorescent tubes because I use it to light trays full of seedlings, but if you've just got one plant the compact fluorescent would probably work OK. With the fluorescent bulbs it's ideal to have them only a few inches above the plant. With incandescent lights since they put out heat you may need them farther than that, but then you don't get as much benefit from the light (light intensity drops off pretty quickly with increased distance from the bulb)

Lakeview, OH

I have the clamp on light about 11 inches away from the morning glory plant, also it is shining on the Amaryllis bulbs too. I can't believe how much cooler it is around my desk, when I had all regular bulbs the heat was unbelievable, now with the fluorescent bulb it is much cooler. My hubby don't like all the bright light, but I told him it would not be on all the time(it will be until I go to work). Would it be better if I put the fluorescent bulb in the regular lamp so it would be shining on all the plants, or is the arrangement I have alright? Would it be ok to turn the clamp on light off for the time I am at work and at night and then turn it back on when I get up?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Turning it off at night is fine. Do you work during the day? If so, the plants will be better off if you can leave it on while you're at work unless they're getting a lot of light from a window. You might consider getting a fluorescent bulb for your other lamp too. It doesn't matter what lamp the bulbs are in, what matters is how close the light is to the plant. A few inches away from the plant is best and the farther you go beyond that the less good the light does. With incandescent bulbs you'll have to keep them farther away because they generate heat, but because you have to keep them farther away you won't get as much benefit from them.

Lakeview, OH

Here is how far they are from each other. As you can tell, this little one has some color to it. Not sure what that means, but it is pretty, if I put another bulb in the lamp, will I be able to shut one off while I am at work?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

As you can see, this one is getting some color to it, I can't put the fluorescent bulb in the other lamp because the shade won't fit on it right. I already tried that. But I think the other bulb is helping, that one bud is getting to be very pretty. I love watching flowers grow from my desk, just sitting here and looking at them is a joy especially when you know you have started them from seed and are growing them yourself, it gives you a sense of peace and contentment. Except when you are driving your friends here and everyone else crazy with them! Thanks for not deserting me, since I don't have have much patience, yes, I actually typed that word, and no I am not going to try experiments like this next year. My hubby would probably kill me if I did.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Teddy, you can have the fluorescent bulb as close as 4 to 6 inches from the plant and can clamp it on so that the light reflects off the wall rather than into the room. It is best if the light goes on around the same time in the morning and stays on until sunset each evening. (sort of mimicking Nature)

Lakeview, OH

that sounds like a very good idea. I have a lot of little buds coming on and I would not like to mess them up at this stage especially. So even if I don't have the regular light on all that time, the fluorescent light will do the trick?

Lakeview, OH

The thing is that sunset happens close to 5 pm every night, so i am going to tell Dana to turn off the clamp on light every night at 5.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's OK if the light stays on for a bit after it gets dark. It's fine to turn it off at 5 if you want, but if it's an extra hassle to do that you don't need to worry about it if it stays on for another couple hours.

Lakeview, OH

When I go back to work, I don't get home until after 11, will it hurt for the lamp to be on that long? And sometimes my hubby goes places and don't come back home until we get back together, how will that affect them? I tell them good night and turn off the lights, is that a problem?

No. It is better that they have a little too much light rather than too little.

Lakeview, OH

ok thanks themoonhowl, thanks for letting me pick your brain. Does this setup look ok to you? The light is 6 inches away from the plants and shining in the corner of the wall instead if out in the room like you said.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

You are welcome Teddy. That should work fine and be less intrusive into the room.

Hope you have a safe Happy New Year.

Moon

Lakeview, OH

You too.

Lakeview, OH

It looks like the bud is starting to twist like they do before they bloom, it is interesting to watch the different positions they do before they get to the point where they are blooming, I never saw the entire process before. I am SO GLAD that this is going to bloom, I was wondering, does anyone know why they twist like that? I think I am going to go to a page on them and see if it says why they do that.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Palmdale, CA(Zone 8a)

It will be beautiful teddy! Also, is that an amaryllis bulb sprouting? Do you know the variety?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.