Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: morning glories

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 89, Views: 598
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 27, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8944115

here is a close up picture of what someone has said is a flower starting to bud, if so the flowers won't be very big will they?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8945358

Impossible to tell how big the flowers will be, Teddy. Those buds may continue to increase in size before they open. That is another "P" word process...grin
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 28, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8945369

I HATE that word! They should take that word out of the english language! I am just glad that they are still growing, as I said before, it was an experiment and I will say that it is a rousing success! I have the clamp on light and the regular light on it and it is plenty warm back here beside my desk, the windowsill was too cold, and not enough light. Here is another pic of another bunch of pods(I guess).

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8945378

Even though you hate the word Teddy, it too must be cultivated...you only make yourself crazy trying to rush Nature.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 28, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8945383

My hubby says God bless you, I have been driving him crazy with all my experiments. Is it crazy to talk to your plants? I always say good night to my flowers and praise them and tell them they are doing a great job, is that nuts? Have I finally gone around the bend? I love them and they are growing like crazy, I was so excited when I saw the buds on the mg vine, I did not think they would bud yet because the plant is not that big, but I guess with the extra light and loving care I think it will survive.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8945447

No, it is not crazy to talk to them. Some growers even play music for them.

http://www.dovesong.com/positive_music/plant_experiments.asp

http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/plants-respond-to-music.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_effects_of_music_on_plants

This message was edited Dec 29, 2011 9:34 AM edited to repair link

This message was edited Dec 29, 2011 9:37 AM
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 28, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8945480

never thought about doing that.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 28, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8945552

I decided to give it a go, I have light classical music on now, we are getting ready to go to the club and I thought I would let it play while we are gone. I have it on low and I hope that helps them out.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8945782

I heard that talking and playing certain types pf music actually help plants grow! I thought that was interesting...
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 28, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8945808

I thoughtso too, that is why I am going to have classical music on sometime during the day.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8946708

Lets find out if it truly works.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8946754

I repaired the link in the post above...there is some info on music for plants.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 29, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8946923

I think it really works, when I left tonight the Amaryllis leaves were leaning toward the wall, I had soothing music on while we were gone, when we came back, I noticed that some of the leaves were leaning toward the speakers. I am going to try to find some way to put a speaker closer to the plants. The radio is the computer and the speakers are kinda far away, I wonder if distance has any part to play just as long as the plants can "hear" the music.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 29, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8946961

I have a tape that is called Oceans by Ed Van Fleet, it has sounds of the oceans on it, do you think that will be soothing enough for the plants? I tried to find some more soothing than that, but will look tomorrow in the bedroom. I have some smooth jazz and some soft music I was thinking of the Gregorian Monks, but not sure how they would react to that. Will let you know what happens. If anybody has any suggestions to what kind of music to play, let me know, the radio won't pick up any soft music stations around here and I don't want my computer on while I am at work, so will play the music before I go to work for a couple of hours and see what happens.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8946968

Teddy...look at the links I posted a few posts back...some plants like heavy metal...grin
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 29, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8946982

I am sorry, the plants might like heavy metal, but I don't, heavy metal makes me nervous and jittery and the ocean music soothes me. So the plants are just going to have to listen to the music I like on that particular day. Like one of the paragraphs said, plants have evolved and grew without any kind of special music, why would it matter now, this is my Amaryllis leaves. Just thought you might like to see them, I say goodnight to them before I go to bed and praise them and they love it.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 29, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8946992

This is my little garden, I turned off the clamp on light, do you thin it will have a negative impact on the morning glories, I don't want to cook them as I have gotten them this far? I don't know about the plants but the music calms me down.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8947015

Teddy-
You may have to wait a while to see the impact the music has on the plants, but it should work for you. As for the type of music, maybe it varies. Vigorous and fast-growing plants may like rock, while slow growing and beautiful plants may grow better with soft relaxing music like your ocean music. I'm not sure if that's right, but i use it and its proven to be a good way.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 29, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8947064

Bloomfly22, I like the relaxing music, I think I will use it and see what happens. There is nothing like relaxing to Kenny G or the Oceans with Ed Van Fleet, I can actually sit back and feel the tension leave me. I could probably go to sleep with Kenny G playing in my ear,grin! I am going to see if I can find my MP3 player and see if he is on there, I think I have some of the Monks of Santo Domingo on there and if I can't get to sleep better. Their chants do a good job of relaxing me too. Hey themoonhowl, how about that light? Do you think the regular lamp will be enough light?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8947396

I think you need to be consistent with lighting...it confuses the plants. You are having success with the extra light from the clamp on...so why sabotage yourself? If the light change is too drastic, the MG plant may drop its buds.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 30, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8947491

Ok, thanks again, I was afraid it was getting to be too much heat, as you can see it is not very far away from the plant. I sure do not want to sabotage myself, I am so anxious to see the flowers, I know, I know that word again, but I still talk to all my plants and play the music for them. They are really getting pampered! Do you have a link to where I can go about transplanting mg when it comes time to, I sure don't want to kill them, can you do the same hardening off with them as the other ones?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8947641

You can simply move the bulb a little farther from the plant to reduce the heat. But you don't want to reduce the amount of light, so keep the lamp on.

Yes, you can harden off the MG the same as other plants. Typically, MG's resent having their roots disturbed by transplanting. since they are annual plants, after hardening off, I would stick the whole pot in the ground...the roots will climb out of the drain holes. Otherwise, if you can prepare a hole and gently slide the whole rootball out of the pot and into the hole. then that might work.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7546845_transplant-morning-glory-plant.html
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 30, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8948035

I replaced the clamp on light bulb with one of the newer flourescent bulbs. It seems to be brighter than the regular ones. It is one of the kind that are curlique ones. Is that a good one to use? The other lamp is a regular one and has a regular bulb in it. I hope that it is one to use. The clamp on light is a little more than a foot from the plant, is that too close?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 30, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8948087

Here is a picture of the new light bulb that I have replaced from a regular one to one of the cooler ones. I put my hand in front of the new bulb and it WAS cool! Could not believe how cool it was.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8948177

I've always used fluorescent light for my plants--that way you get the light without extra heat. Plus they're more energy efficient. I use shop lights with the long fluorescent tubes because I use it to light trays full of seedlings, but if you've just got one plant the compact fluorescent would probably work OK. With the fluorescent bulbs it's ideal to have them only a few inches above the plant. With incandescent lights since they put out heat you may need them farther than that, but then you don't get as much benefit from the light (light intensity drops off pretty quickly with increased distance from the bulb)
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 30, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8948355

I have the clamp on light about 11 inches away from the morning glory plant, also it is shining on the Amaryllis bulbs too. I can't believe how much cooler it is around my desk, when I had all regular bulbs the heat was unbelievable, now with the fluorescent bulb it is much cooler. My hubby don't like all the bright light, but I told him it would not be on all the time(it will be until I go to work). Would it be better if I put the fluorescent bulb in the regular lamp so it would be shining on all the plants, or is the arrangement I have alright? Would it be ok to turn the clamp on light off for the time I am at work and at night and then turn it back on when I get up?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8948372

Turning it off at night is fine. Do you work during the day? If so, the plants will be better off if you can leave it on while you're at work unless they're getting a lot of light from a window. You might consider getting a fluorescent bulb for your other lamp too. It doesn't matter what lamp the bulbs are in, what matters is how close the light is to the plant. A few inches away from the plant is best and the farther you go beyond that the less good the light does. With incandescent bulbs you'll have to keep them farther away because they generate heat, but because you have to keep them farther away you won't get as much benefit from them.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 30, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8948437

Here is how far they are from each other. As you can tell, this little one has some color to it. Not sure what that means, but it is pretty, if I put another bulb in the lamp, will I be able to shut one off while I am at work?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 31, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8948746

As you can see, this one is getting some color to it, I can't put the fluorescent bulb in the other lamp because the shade won't fit on it right. I already tried that. But I think the other bulb is helping, that one bud is getting to be very pretty. I love watching flowers grow from my desk, just sitting here and looking at them is a joy especially when you know you have started them from seed and are growing them yourself, it gives you a sense of peace and contentment. Except when you are driving your friends here and everyone else crazy with them! Thanks for not deserting me, since I don't have have much patience, yes, I actually typed that word, and no I am not going to try experiments like this next year. My hubby would probably kill me if I did.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8948964

Teddy, you can have the fluorescent bulb as close as 4 to 6 inches from the plant and can clamp it on so that the light reflects off the wall rather than into the room. It is best if the light goes on around the same time in the morning and stays on until sunset each evening. (sort of mimicking Nature)
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 31, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8948981

that sounds like a very good idea. I have a lot of little buds coming on and I would not like to mess them up at this stage especially. So even if I don't have the regular light on all that time, the fluorescent light will do the trick?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 31, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8949022

The thing is that sunset happens close to 5 pm every night, so i am going to tell Dana to turn off the clamp on light every night at 5.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8949054

It's OK if the light stays on for a bit after it gets dark. It's fine to turn it off at 5 if you want, but if it's an extra hassle to do that you don't need to worry about it if it stays on for another couple hours.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 31, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8949068

When I go back to work, I don't get home until after 11, will it hurt for the lamp to be on that long? And sometimes my hubby goes places and don't come back home until we get back together, how will that affect them? I tell them good night and turn off the lights, is that a problem?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8949113

No. It is better that they have a little too much light rather than too little.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 31, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8949165

ok thanks themoonhowl, thanks for letting me pick your brain. Does this setup look ok to you? The light is 6 inches away from the plants and shining in the corner of the wall instead if out in the room like you said.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8949184

You are welcome Teddy. That should work fine and be less intrusive into the room.

Hope you have a safe Happy New Year.

Moon
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 31, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8949208

You too.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 1, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #8950340

It looks like the bud is starting to twist like they do before they bloom, it is interesting to watch the different positions they do before they get to the point where they are blooming, I never saw the entire process before. I am SO GLAD that this is going to bloom, I was wondering, does anyone know why they twist like that? I think I am going to go to a page on them and see if it says why they do that.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #8950854

It will be beautiful teddy! Also, is that an amaryllis bulb sprouting? Do you know the variety?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 2, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #8951332

The Amaryllis is the kind that you see outside in the late summer, and look what I found when I got up today, my hubby had to take the pictures because my camera kept showing the flower as blue instead of purple. I am so excited, it is snowing like crazy, and I have a tropical flower blooming right beside me! Thank you for helping out.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #8951400

Bravo Teddy...see what rewards that "P" word brings...LOL
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #8951406

Teddy--if your "amaryllis" is something you see outdoors in the late summer in your area, it's probably not Amaryllis but instead it's Lycoris squamigera since that's the one that's hardy in OH and lots of people grow them. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/517/

Pretty morning glory flower!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 2, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #8951456

Yup, that is what it is, thanks for clearing that up ecrane3.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #8952009

If the morning glory plant is big now, imagine the size by fall!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 4, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #8954247

Got another one starting to bloom, I love it, warm weather flowers in wintertime! This one was hiding under a leaf.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #8954682

I don't know how long it will last, but the weather where I live has stayed up in the 70's. I'm afraid that my rose will die because of freezes that may come. It has begun to grow, and I don't know what to do to save it. Any advice? Also I planted some morning glory seeds to plant out in spring.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #8954756

Roses are plenty hardy, there's no way your weather would ever get cold enough to kill it. Worst case is tender new growth gets zapped by the frost, but it won't hurt the rest of the plant
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #8954915

To clear this up, the winter weather at my house is usually at a high of 65 on the hottest days, and a low of as far as 26. The weather was unusually warm, even on Christmas it was hot! Well, back to the real reason I replied. I started some Mimosa Pudica seeds today, and even though I've grown them before, I want to know if anyone else has, and if they have any advice would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 6, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #8956488

Yep, it is doing it again! And there is 3 more coming right behind this one, man, when they get started, they get started!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #8956520

They really do teddy. I saw one once that was covered in blue flowers, and the plant was huge!

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #8956521

And another photo.

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 7, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #8957870

This is what I found when I got up this morning, is it my imagination or are the blooms getting bigger? My aunt said they were purple but they look blue to me. Don't care, they are still gorgeous! There is another one that is going to bloom in a couple of days and a few more behind that one, I did not know they were going to take off like that especially when the plant is not very big to start with.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #8958190

Yes, the flowers should be betting bigger. The plant , as you said, was small, but as it ages the flowers will increase in size, as well as beauty.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 7, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #8958352

Here is another bloom and there is another one behind it, I never thought when I started this project it would actually bloom or so many at a time. It is such a wonderful thing when you can start things like this in the house when it is cold outside, they are such beautiful blooms and such vibrant color! I wonder how many it will make before I can put it outside and how long it will keep blooming, does anybody have any ideas on that?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #8958460

I am fairly sure your plant is Ipomoea purpurea (annual morning glory) that means that it has a life span, usually from sprouting to first frost...a few months at most. Annual plants generally grow, bloom, set seed and then die.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7751887_long-morning-glory-plant-grow.html

http://www.wildflowerinformation.org/Wildflower.asp?ID=23
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 9, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #8960645

This is the color of the morning glory, it is a little blurry but it is purple.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #8976694

Nice pictures Teddy. Make sure to save your seed pods, if you get any. I don't know if M.G.'s need to be pollinated or do it themselves. I'd have to check into that. When I lived up north, we put some leftover chicken wire on a shed wall (12 ft high), and they covered it like ivy. It really dressed up that old shed! Every fall we would break open the seed pods along the ground for next spring's display. I know there are different varieties and I don't know if they all climb but this is just one idea for someone who might have an unsightly shed, or even a trellis in mind. At any rate, save your seeds to enjoy these flowers next year too!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 25, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #8981728

This is what I found this morning, and there are still several more to come.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 5, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #8995820

another bloom for my friends.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 6, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #8996691

Can someone tell me why when I take a picture of my PURPLE Morning Glory, the picture is always blue? This is the bloom after it opened up.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #8996715

It is the way the light and lens on the camera read the color and then translate to the monitor.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 6, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #8996737

ok, themoonhowl, thanks, I am eager to plant these in the ground and see what happens, I was wondering, I did not pull up the Cosmos when they died, should I when it gets warmer? I do not want to mess up any new plants that might be coming up. I was thinking of pulling up the new shoots when they start coming up and finding a sunnier place for them. Although that might be a little difficult considering our place is surrounded by trees, I could put them in the back yard, it is sandy and very poor soil and there is only 2 trees back there. I have some tiger lilies back there, do you think the Cosmos will do ok back there? The rest of the morning glories that my aunt sent me will go next to the fence so they will have something to grow on, and I have quite a few Irises next to the trellis and also the morning glories that were there last year.
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #8997061

Hi Teddy.
I had to deal with sand a lot where I used to live but I also had horses. The problem could easily be fixed.
Get yourself a bag or two of composted manure and mix that in real good. Add some dried leaves if possible for water retention and mulch around the flowers for added moisture retention.
You'll want to get it down a good foot or so and then the water will take the nutrients the rest of the way.
Not knowing your soil, I can't tell you exactly how much to use. You'll have to use your best judgement or get soil tests done. As long as it's composted, you can hardly add too much in my experience anyways.
That's just one suggestion that's relatively easy and inexpensive.
Good luck with whatever you try.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 7, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #8997811

thanks, I moved my Morning Glory so it would have more room to spread out. Does this look like there is enough flourescent light getting to it? I thought maybe it would start to spread out and get bigger, or do you think it is as big as its going to get?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #8997828

It probably will not grow any more until it starts getting strong sunlight...and no, I do not think that is enough light...it was happy and blooming where you had it, I would put it back where it was.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #8998498

If the light is that far away from the plant it really doesn't do it much good, I also would recommend you put it back where it was.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 11, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9002866

from bud to bloom, especially nice when there is snow outside. Looking at this flower lets me know that no matter how bad and cold it gets now, we all know that sooner or later it is going to get warm and all the flowers that were asleep will wake up and our cameras will get worn out with all the pictures of the beauties. Hopefully I wont be driving you all crazy with questions, I planted my Irises that a friend gave me, he GUARANTEES me that they will be purple, it is going to be interesting when they bloom, my copper color and his purple ones, I mixed them together, one copper, one purple, one copper and so on. Also going to plant the morning glories by the back fence, they get lots of sunlight there.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Click an image for an enlarged view.

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 12, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9004145

Would it be a good idea to give the Morning Glories some Miracle-Gro? I have gotten 2 seeds from them already,which I did not think I would not get any since there were no bugs or birds to pollinate them. But I got 2 anyway, There are two buds getting ready to bloom, so it is still doing its thing. But I just wanted to know if I should put any on there.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 12, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9004158

As you can see, my morning glory is indeed purple, I had to get it away from the flourescent light to do it. Should I add any more potting soil to it, it looks kinda sparse on the soil, or is it ok?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9004554

It would not hurt to give it a good watering with some 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer, but it will probably be okay soil-wise til Spring...unless you see roots coming from the drain holes.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 16, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9008722

when is the best time to put the morning glory in the widowsill? The daytime temps are going to be in the high 30's and 40's. It is still blooming and I don't want to screw it up. The naked lady plant is still short and not doing anything and I have gotten patience and not going to bother anyone with any questions for a while.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9008730

It is doing what it is supposed to do, Teddy. It is blooming...in a few weeks it can go outside, so I would just feed it and leave it where it is...like the old saying...Don't mess with success...grin
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 19, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9012122

I love seeing my Morning Glory blooms, some are the regular size and some are smaller. Here is the one from this morning. This is my whole plant, for some reason it has not gotten bigger, it does not trail around or climb on anything and I had a string for it to climb on. But I guess it is alright anyway, it is blooming and they are beautiful to see. Hopefully it will survive until spring so I can plant it along with the other seeds and the back fence will be covered in purple mg blooms, and you can bet your last dollar you my friends will be the ones to see the pictures. It is good that the memory sticks on the camera have a lot of space, I am going to need it!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 20, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9013217

Sorry about that, the last photo was messed up, this is what the flowers look like, for some reason the last one was totally screwed up and I wanted you folks to see what they really look like when they bloom. Got a question, will it get bigger and start to vine when it gets warm enough to put it in the window? I never saw a mg that did not vine but still lived and bloomed. Advice and suggestions needed, thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9013233

Light and temperature have a strong effect on a plant's size. Once it gets good all day sun it should grow well.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 21, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9014554

pictures of 3 more buds from my mg plant. I LOVE this multiple pictures format. It is a lot easier than going down and posting one and then having to post again and again. As you can see, my little plant is thriving where I have it, and I hope it stays alive till I can plant it outside.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 22, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9015817

This is not a morning glory question, but I was wondering, when do I pull up the old stalks of the Cosmos plants from last summer? Or do I pull them up at all?
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9015997

Which species are they? Cosmos grown in our gardens are annuals, like C.bipinnatus and C.sulphureus.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 23, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9016948

I think it is C.sulphureus, I really can't say because I don't know what the difference is. All I know is that they are really pretty.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 24, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9018333

This greeted me when I got up today, I was wondering, why are some of them full size like this one and some are smaller? I am getting in the gardening frenzy, I want to get out and clean up the flower beds and watch for new growth, and the weather keeps me from doing that. But I can enjoy my mg while the cold wind blows.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 29, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9024512

It is 64 degrees outside so I put the morning glories in the windowsill so they could get some sunshine. I obviously did not pull up all the naked lady plants outside, I was taking pics of the flowers coming up and there were naked lady leaves coming up. When I download the flower pics I took this afternoon, you will see I will have a lot of Irises this summer, I pulled up the dead stems of my Cosmos too, the Morning Glory vines are very hard to pull down I have to be careful so I don't pull the trellis down. They are really there to stay. But there will be pictures and hopefully no questions this summer and spring.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9027850

C.bipinnatus has pink, white, and red flowers, (also mixed- red and pink etc.) while C.sulphureus has yelow, orange, and redish flowers. And wonderful mg flower teddy! Are you going to move it outside when it is warm?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 3, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9028032

If it survives that long, the Cosmos has pink,red, and white flowers but mostly pink and white and yellow.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 4, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9029394

My Morning Glory is starting to grow and vine out, remember the other pics when it was so compact and small? Not now, it is starting to go places. Here is the picture I took this morning, another bloom and I wanted to show you how big it has gotten.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9029431

The sun is getting brighter and that triggers it to grow...it has been semi-dormant til now.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9032858

Imagine the day you look outside and see your morning glory shrouding the trellis or what ever you put it on with flowers! It will be breathtaking!
phillipsdav
Taylor, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9192289

morning glories are just a beautiful think to awake to! I love eating breakfast looking out at them and then me and my boy go guide them to there next fence board. they grow like crazy overnight with lots of sunlight in the daytime. Beautiful large flowers that almost look fake.

Thumbnail by phillipsdav   Thumbnail by phillipsdav

Robynish
Lakewood, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9195414

I love morning glories! I have a pot of pink ones growing on my porch for the banister. They aren't blooming yet, but I am pretty certain they are pink as the plants I took them from last fall were pink. Speaking of them, what is most likely eating mine?

Some one mentioned Mimosa Pudica seeds? I have limited success with them. The only one I managed to grow was after I had knicked the hard outer shell (maybe I knicked it in the right place?). It later died after getting about 4 inches tall, from to much heat/sun. =(

Thumbnail by Robynish   Thumbnail by Robynish

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
11:54 PM

Post #9232594

That was me Robym i bought some and wanted to se if anyone knew about them. i recently visited texas and saw some pretty wild Ipomea, forgive me if i spelld the wrong! They were a lovely pink.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America