DAILY BIRD PICS VOL. 426

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Please take a minute and enjoy all the photos and sightings in our last thread-

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233645/

Thought I'd start off with the birds and the berries-here's a Robin filling up.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

A White-crowned Sparrow. I've never seen these birds eat the berries, but they do look pretty sitting amongst them.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

The Cedar Waxwings are sure enjoying the berries.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

A few more Cedar Waxwings just because I do love their colors and masks.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2011 8:40 PM

Thumbnail by ducbucln
(Zone 5a)

Ah, you posted while I was working on mine. These are a beautiful start to the thread, makes me wish we had some berry trees bearing fruit. We planted some, but I am sure it will take a couple years.

One of the children took this one and it actually shows why a Red-bellied woodpecker is called a "Red-bellied".

Thumbnail by Chillybean
(Zone 5a)

Oh, I decided to fiddle with my photo editor to see if I could do anything with the picture. I am not real familiar with all it is capable of, so usually wind up messing up a picture more than improving it. Well, I tried something called "Curves" under the Color options, and a couple clicks did this.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Lakeview, OH

Could you tell me if I closed in the spaces beneath the birdbath, would it help keep it from freezing? I was thinking of putting cardboard in the spaces to stop the air from freezing the water. Do you think it will work?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Duc......absolutely stunning!! LOVE, LOVE that last one!

Good try with the editing CB!

No that won't help teddy.

Cooper's today......

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Norman, OK

Good start, duc. I'm really envious of those berries-- and the birds. :-) I can do without the Coopers and sharpshins in the yard, though.

Shot this fellow earlier in the month behind the house. Meadowlark.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful start duc!

Chilly, Your child did a great job with that photo!

Handsome Coopers nanny!

Love the Meadowlark red!

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

ducbucln - Absolutely stunning photos ! Great shots everyone !

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Chillybean :
Oh, I decided to fiddle with my photo editor to see if I could do anything with the picture. I am not real familiar with all it is capable of, so usually wind up messing up a picture more than improving it. Well, I tried something called "Curves" under the Color options, and a couple clicks did this.

Had a try, but don't think it is really very rescuable

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread Duc...those birds with the berries look like the cover of Birds and Blooms...all are gorgeous!

Nice ones Chilly, Nanny and Red!

Haven't taken many photos lately but have a few from earlier this month. I was surprised to see this Myrtle Warbler eating something on a tree. Don't usually see them this late in the year.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Same bird.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I've never seen so many Carolina Chickadees. They seem to be all over the farm this year...

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Lots of White-breasted Nuthatches too!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

The Eastern Towhee is still around...he sure likes to hide!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Last one for now...juvie Red-winged Blackbird.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Norman, OK

Good birds, dell. I seldom see towees here. Only recall seeing one in Norman. I see the spotted ones in the Wichita Mountains, quite a few. Lots of ducks on the pond again this a.m., mostly ringnecks with a few gadwall and redheads.

(Zone 5a)

Thank you for trying, Resin. I know that was a toughie.

Reddirtretiree, Do you get both varieties of Meadowlarks? I was thrilled when I learned we did. It was their songs that gave them away.

What a delightful variety, Dellrose! We are still hoping to see a Nuthatch this year. We had them last winter and they liked the suet.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Chilly, that red-bellied is a sweet one.

Nanny, sorry your Cooper's is like my sharpie and won't leave.

Red, that Meadowlark is a beauty.

Rose, pretty photos of all your birds. That red-winged sure looks cold.

Red, love your pond photos. Always something there to enjoy.

This Bald Eagle finally flew a little closer while I was out on the deck.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

He sure had something in his sights because he wasn't watching me.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

This female Brewer's Blackbird looked up to watch for the hawk that's still around.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Sure enough, the sharpie was hiding in a pine tree nearby.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's a pretty Mourning Dove.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Norman, OK

Great pics, duc. You have a wonderful place for a nature lover. The birds on the red dirt hill had a tough morning. I saw the sharpshin make a couple of low-level raids and come up empty. After the second pass, about 30 minutes after the first, he perched on a stump up on the hill where he could watch my feeder. Then this guy comes along and checks out the birds scent.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2011 12:31 PM

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

reddirtretiree - Is that a wolf ? It comes right up in your yard ? Great photos everyone. The eagle is beautiful - almost like a painting !

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from dellrose :
I was surprised to see this Myrtle Warbler eating something on a tree. Don't usually see them this late in the year.[/quote]

Maybe Waxmyrtle berries? Looks like maybe some wax on its bill. That's why they're called Myrtle Warbler, because of their unique ability to digest the wax, which other birds can't do. Being able to eat Waxmyrtle berries enables them to winter further north than other warblers.

[quote="Countrymom"]reddirtretiree - Is that a wolf ? It comes right up in your yard ? Great photos everyone. The eagle is beautiful - almost like a painting !

Too slim; looks more like a Coyote to me.

Resin

This message was edited Dec 28, 2011 9:05 PM

Norman, OK

It's a young male coyote in the pic. He was healthy looking and had a great coat. One of two pups born to his mom this past spring. I've seen them several times with her. First there was three, then just two by late summer. It's usually dark or nearly so when I see them. His grandmother curled up on my patio door mat to die. She was so weak she couldn't get up, so I called animal control to come and get her. I have her pic, too, but not a pretty picture. I also have some pics of his sire. Here is another view when he was coming to one of the feeders. He stopped and was really nervous. He ran off when he saw the camera lens, then I whistled to stop him and shot a few more of him farther away. He was really interested in the bird scent around the feeders.

Marlton, NJ

He is gorgeous!

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Wow! This thread is loaded with gorgeous shots. I love them all. Handsome coyote Red.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Red...I'm very jealous of your ducks! I occasionally see them land on our pond but there's no way to sneak up and see them. Your coyote doesn't look like he's missing any meals...he is gorgeous!

Duc...beautiful shots...love your Bald Eagle. We have one that circles the farm but doesn't get close enough to get a good shot.

Resin that is very interesting about the Waxmyrtle berries. I will have to check out that tree...thanks for the suggestion.

Chilly...those Nuthatches go nuts over peanuts too!!

We have had 3 or 4 Rock Doves adopt our farm as their new home. They spend most of the time on DH's shop roof or under the canopy. Of course the old barn is also a favorite
perching place for them. DH really loves them!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This one has some white on it's tail.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Sandusky, OH

Great shots everyone!! Thanks for starting the new thread Duc! Hoping everyone has a great 2012 in life and in birdwatching!!!
A few shots to share...added 4 more bird's to my life list. Rough-legged Hawk, Cackling Goose and I finally found the Lapland Longspur...actually quite a few.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

And got lucky and found a Snowy Owl..pic not great but it was snowing and the bird was quite a ways off.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

A few shots from the last week. American Kestrel

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

a Common Goldeneye...

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

a Blue Jay from the backyard...

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

a male Red-breasted Merganser...