Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What's for dinner? (Part 26)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233352/

Tonight we'll resurrect the remaining Christmas prime rib roast in the form of hot sandwiches. The dough for making crusty French rolls is in its final rising - hopefully we'll be ready to pile on thin-sliced beef, sauteed peppers and onions and some melty Provolone cheese on them by 7-ish. A side of warm German potato salad will accompany.

Tomorrow night I'm tentatively planning either chops or chicken enchiladas. Stay tuned :-)

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I was hoping some of you would post photos of your holiday dinners to go along with the delicious descriptions. Sigh. Maybe?

Tonight is the last night of Hanukkah. Then on to the New Year's eve/days menus. The later is plural because we go up to Maypop, meet the family there and friends join us for a quiet mountain eve of food, fire and a jigsaw puzzle. We stay for several days to do outdoorsy things, including garden chores, and couch potato by the fire in the evenings. Anyway, back to the menu...it is German Hanukkah tonight. I'll finally break down and make latkes. They will be served with the remaining creme fraiche and cranberries. I assembled beschwipster huhn, which is German for drunken chicken/hen, earlier in the day. This dish is similar to coq au vin. There are carrots, onions, celery and garden turnips under all that boozy chicken goodness.

Here's last night's Spanish Hanukkah table. The Spanish flag is red and yellow and so was the table plus some of our Spanish ceramics. When the kids were here Hanukkah dinners opened the door for conversations about world history, current events, food and other cultures. You can bet our kids know what color the Spanish flag is. :) All three are Spanish fluent.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

The salad with artichokes, eggs, olives and Pyrenees cheese was dressed in sherry vinegar from Juarez, Spain and Spanish olive oil.

Papas fritas con huevos (fried potatoes with eggs). This was served with allioli (Spanish aioli).

The dish plated with albondigas (meatballs).

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Laurel, I checked and although I thought I had taken photos of a couple if dishes to write about off-site, they are not to be found. Sorry.

Anyway, you have gifted us with enough dinner photos to make up for the rest of us!

I have always been attracted to certain words, just for their sound regardless of their meanings. Albondigas is one if those. Go figure. LOL

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Indeed Laurel! I have so enjoyed the concept of the international days as well as the photos and descriptions of each nights' dinner.
I've been travelling and only helping with the cooking at each place I've visited. I'm home now. I'll see if I can get photo's of the New Years' tappas spread, though I highly doubt they will be as lovely as yours.

Tam

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Terry – Thanks for the new thread.

Laurel – Sorry. No photos of our holiday meal either.
The recipe is a throw together. It needs a little tweaking. The black lentils with veggies tasted great but the combination with light quinoa was not as great. I think there was too much quinoa to lentil mixture or maybe should have been another grain. Added too much quinoa and it should have had its own seasoning. Should be more like 1 part quinoa to 5 parts lentil mix.
Recipe is cook lentils. In a separate pan sauté onions, leaks, and carrots until onions are translucent. Stir in enough lentils so it is of equal mix as one of the veggies. If you are adding a green like Kale then add it to the pan. Cook until green is slightly wilted. Cook quinoa separately. Put Quinoa on a plate; add lentil & veggie mix on top of quinoa; and serve.

Darius and Celene – I’ve seen some articles on stuffing collard green leaves so they should also work. Another idea would be to shred the cabbage leaves that have holes and use them to make a make a stuffed cabbage casserole with the extra filling.

Same here on enjoying the photos of the international days and associated feast foods/décor.

Thanks all for sharing our holiday with us. Will try to post photos tomorrow. A major muffin top is forming above the waistband of my jeans. The range needs to be sent out for pressure washing. Then there is the miracle of Hanukkah...we survived eight days of fried foods! lol Night night.

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
A major muffin top is forming above the waistband of my jeans. The range needs to be sent out for pressure washing.

It must be contagious - my tighter jeans are now uncomfortably tight.

The holidays were bad enough, but our YMCA chose the month of December to do major renovation, which meant we endured yoga in the racquetball court, a scaled-back number of exercise machines in half of the basketball court, etc. Made it difficult to be really motivated to go as often as I usually do. However, they are supposed to be finished on January 1, so I'm planning to take full advantage of the new-and-improved facility come January 2 and most every day thereafter.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We said good-bye to Hanukkah last night, too (see photo) but not with an accompanying special meal; it was deer cutting-up and sausage-making day, so for dinner we just had my go-to easy meal - linguine with white clam sauce. Our friends had already cut up our deer, but we helped them with theirs and then made sausage. It wouldn't have been such an ordeal except that our grinder wasn't working properly at first. And our friends do the meat processing in their unheated barn; luckily it was in the fifties today, but it was warmer outside than in there, that's for sure! I thought this would only take a couple hours, but we got there after 10, because the husband had a meeting earlier, and didn't leave until after 5. That's a long day!

We ran out of hog casing for the sausage. I had bought two packs but the guy at the store said each would do about thirty pounds of meat so I only prepped one package. Unfortunately they weren't a very good quality, so I had to discard quite a few because they tore as we were filling them. That seems to be a real problem with those things. As a result we couldn't finish, since I really like my sausage in casings. Our friends don't bother with them, but just put a wodge of ground sausage in each bag and then thaw them and make patties out of them, but they don't do Italian sausage either - just breakfast sausage with salt, pepper and sage, so that works well.

Anyway, we brought the rest of the sausage meat home to process today with the second pack of casings - in the comfort of my heated kitchen, thankyouverymuch. I also like to weigh the packages and mark the weight down, so I know how much I need for the number of people I'm trying to serve; they don't do that. Plus our friend doesn't label the cuts according to standard nomenclature; instead of writing "Bottom Round" or "Sirloin Tip" or "Loin" as we do, he puts "Good Muscle" and "Lesser Muscle," depending on the tenderness of the piece. And this guy is a retired veterinarian. But hey, it was a free deer so I'm not complaining. It will definitely be a challenge to decide what to do with these, though!

Thumbnail by greenhouse_gal
Dahlonega, GA

I order my casings from Cabella's They have a good selection, but expensive. There is another place much cheaper and wouldn't you know , I can't find it . It's the same place I bought my grinder , on line . What does everyone else use for the grinder ? maybe I'll recognize it and put the address in a file so I'll have it .
Had leftover chicken fried steak , reheated in the skillet,and green beans for D H . I had green beans and clam chowder soup .Made a monkey bread for snack after dinner .

I have a grinder on my WishList... but don't remember right now what brand it is. I also have a sausage stuffer on the List, a LEM Products 5 lb. Vertical Stainless Steel Sausage Stuffer which runs around $150. Meanwhile I make do with the grinder and stuffer attachments for my KitchenAid mixer.

My casings came from Butcher & Packer.

Dahlonega, GA

I remembered my grinder was here , in Tex . and looked at it . Googled , and recognized the name where I bought it .
Darius , It has the stuffer and power wise , it's more powerful and cheaper than any others I found anywhere for the price . Check out
onestopjerkyshop.com . they have all the casings choices you want and sooo inexpensive . This one does venison without gumming up the cutter with membrane and threads from the meat . Cuts right through them . It's the model TS-108 and I gave my new one to a D-in- L that cost the same but wouldn't do the job ,only good for veggies and light stuff. It runs about 150.00 plus shipping and I promise you , it's worth every dime .Has the stuffer for sausage , does good work . Look at all they have and you'll be pleased . Sally
P S ,The knife was a gift to my son's wife , and she was so pleased that I think she actually likes me after 34 years .She thought her knife was sharp , until she minced with this one .She cooks all the time , from scratch and takes good care of my son , so she deserved it .lol

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I was amazed to find my 23yr old niece is really into hunting, butchering & grinding! She's working on her PhD in Virology and apparently is dating another grad student who is into these things. In my experience, most people who hunt, were taught by their parents. Who would think you'd pick it up in grad school? Anyway, she bought him a grinder and helped him butcher a deer. She bought a compound bow and plans to get her own deer next.

Tam

Missouri City, TX

Been away form the 'puter for a few days - got the most awful PC virus - "XP Internet Security -2012".
Now fixed, but what an ordeal. Looks like a virus removal service, but is instead the bug" itself. Plants pieces all over your hard drive, so is nearly impossible to remove by yourself. AND it has been around since 2008 at least, so not new and may have been planting the "seeds of destruction" for a long time before "pulling the trigger".

Loved making butter as a boy - nothing tastes like homemade - especially when you can get cream form the first green grass in the spring - color is almost orange, not washed out (almost white) yellow.

Albondigas soup was a discovery for us when we lived in LA.CA - many Mexican restaurants would serve a complementary cup with each meal. It is not common here in Texas, and the only commercial version (Jaunita's) we can find occasionally, is not near as good as the fresh we had out there. Bet your version was even better.

Thanks Sally, I'll check out that site and bookmark it for when I have money. Glad your DIL likes the knife!!

I just won a 2 DVD set on gourmet butchering, from http://www.thegourmetbutcher.com/ The only thing I have butchered before has been deer, but next year I hope to buy quarters or sides of beef and pork and butcher them myself.

Thumbnail by darius
Dahlonega, GA

In our weekly farm bulletin , grass fed , no hormone beef , hanging weight is advertised for $ 2.25 a lb .That's a steal .

The grinder I have is a Tasin TS-108; sounds like the same thing you have, Sally. I bought it several years ago from a site that sold equipment for feeding dogs raw food; it looked like the best deal and we really like it. Before that I used the grinder attachment for my ancient Mixmaster; that's fine for making chopped liver but it's not happy with big chunks of meat. The Tasin comes with several different plates and also a sausage stuffer. I discovered that it's a lot easier to get the first casing on if you use a bit of olive oil on the sausage stuffer before you try easing the casing on.

We had gotten really nice casings from a local butcher shop, and then I bought some at the supermarket which were awful. Our friend got some from Cabela's and they were excellent the first time, but the next time he ordered them they were terrible. This time the first packet (from the butcher's) had a lot of problems - holes and thin places that burst - and the second was perfect. I don't know if that's because I soaked them longer the second time, though. Finishing up the sausage was a breeze today.

Sally, I wish I lived near enough to take advantage of that beef!

Dinner is meatballs and spaghetti sauce.

BTW - This has nothing to do with dinner but I need to say to someone I'm annoyed with Sears Parts Direct. They are shipping a $32 part to home address with $11 shipping charge.

Well, Sears never was in the "business of selling products"... instead they were in the business of selling "credit at 21% interest" to buy their products. Sounds like nothing has changed.

Sorry for the aggravation Susan - that is irritating, to be sure! I want to like Sears for their commitment to quality hand tools and what they do for their employees in the military, but they fall short in certain areas - as do most companies.

Tonight's dinner is chicken and cheese enchiladas with a side of homemade refried beans. Molten brownies for dessert, if my kitchen sink is functioning by then. (A drippy faucet is being replaced by the plumbing fairy/aka my dad :-)

I worked for Sears (repair side) in college and so am familar with their "normal" issues. They seem to have aquired a few additional ones in the last couple of years. I think I'm mostly annoyed by having to order via chat because of an intentional redirect on the web site and getting mislead by the chat person so they could get the order finished.

As a last throw in for tonight I'm making a pumpkin pie with a spelt/pumpkin seed crust. I'll let you know how it turns out.

GG, What a pretty menorah! Sounds like you had a busy day. How much venison did you end up with? DD mentioned she had some to bring. Hope she remembers.

Tam, our 25 y.o. daughter learned slaughtering and butchering while in grad school and her SO is vegetarian. She is open to hunting but has not had the opportunity. She does it because she believes people should know and understand the process of taking a life, even an animal's.

Bubba, the albondigas we had were in the Spanish style with a slightly spicy, smoked tomato sauce. That style, like many foods in Spain, originated from Moorish cuisine. The Moors occupied Spain for about eight hundred years. Aside from the history factoid, I also make the Mexican soup version which we love. I'm very surprised to hear this is not popular in your area. We have the largest Mexican population of any non-border state and it's in most restaurants here.

Good going on the CDs, Darius. I can see you outside with a carcass on the picnic table and laptop on a tree stump going, "Step #1".

We enjoyed the last night of Hanukkah. I was more cautious knowing I'd face the scales this morning. I started by frying a batch of latkes. Two big russets made twenty four pancakes.

Sorry about the aggravation, Susan.

Here they are waiting patiently on the plate.

This is beschwipster chicken and veggies. It's pretty rustic but the wine sauce puts it up there.

And this is the table on the last night.

I spent the day running around the city delivering food from Costco to area shelters and pantries. Managed to stop in at the international market and do our shopping for New Year's weekend. The phone rang coming in and it seems we have out of town company arriving the day we get back with the kids. I told them they could pick up dinner for all of us. Such a hostess.

Very pretty dinner and table setting.

Thanks Susan. It's been lots of fun, even romantic (can we say that here?), though the truth is it's most fun when family can be together. Okay, the truth is it was very romantic but we missed the kids bunches. :) Now I feel guilty about pining for those romantic dinners with SO when the pile of kids were here and the house was like a train station. We'll make up for that during the next week.

As for what's for dinner, Bubba, you are an inspiration. Several varieties of greens are hanging out in the fridge and the leftover meatballs. I feel a sopa de albondigas coming. In fact, SO jumped at the suggestion and has already prepped the other veggies. I'm cooking!

Your tables are always so gorgeous, Laurel!

I think we ended up with about 15 pounds of sausage; I don't know about the other cuts because our friends don't weigh them and yesterday I just wanted to get them home and in the freezer. It's hard to write on cold packages anyway, so I didn't bother trying to figure out how heavy they were. It was a fairly small deer, though, so the roasts weren't that large.

Do you have any tricks for getting wax off menorahs? We don't clean ours of drips until the end, but then it's a bit of a hassle. One year I tried putting the whole menorah in the wood stove briefly, but that made a mess! This year I picked most of it off and then we used a brass brush to get the rest.

You or Bubba have a preferred sopa de albondigas recipe. Looks interesting. A friend once told me "there was something sweet in the missing". It took me a while to figure out what she meant and it's true. It's another phase of life moving through and a missing of what was good about the most recent.

GG, if you soak them in a pan of hot tap water for several minutes the wax will soften and peel off easily. We light candles every Friday night. I've got lots of candle holder cleaning experience. I leave about a month's worth on because the wax icicles look pretty. The menorahs stay out all year and get cleaned after Hanukkah.

Susan, albondigas soup is a pretty creative affair. I like to toast coriander for the lemony aromatic and mine has lots of cumin. There's a little heat but it is not spicy. The veggies for my soup must include any greens, carrots and onions. I add squashes if they are around. I happened to have a couple tonight that needed soup resuscitation. If you like a sweet note add cubed winter squash. Some have potatoes, but not a lot, and others have none. I use potatoes if there are some leftovers that will work. Otherwise I omit them. Either a beef or a veggie broth works. I like to use greens that have been precooked and the potliker becomes part of the base. Some soups have tomato and some have none. I do it both ways. It's really flexible. We eat the soup topped with tortilla chips. It's an all in one dinner.

We often light candles on Friday night, too, but I have candle holders that fit into those candlesticks, and I can lift them up and melt the remaining wax over the gas stove so that the wax plug drops out when I turn the holders upside down. So that's never a problem.

We put our menorah away after Hanukkah is over, and I wanted it clean so it wasn't shedding wax in the closet!

I was tired from food shopping and sausage making, so for dinner I got out a frozen container of agneau aux haricots that I made a couple of months ago, and we had that with half a baguette that DH baked this week. Anyone have any good baguette tricks? We use the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes method, and the texture is very uneven; this time it was lighter than it's been, which was good because sometimes the crumb is too dense, but then we can't get the crust crisp enough even at a high heat. Maybe that recipe just doesn't make ideal baguettes, though.

Dahlonega, GA

G G , use the money you save on meat and apply it to gas to come down and get it . Nice little vacation .
I have put candle sticks in the freezer , then chipped it off . Gotta be fast and keep them cold .

Missouri City, TX

Sorry, Susan. I never got a recipe from any of the restaurants we frequented in LA County.

Columbus, OH

I was going to make onion soup, but my husband drank the beer I was going to use for the soup. lol It's not so good without it, so I'll make it tomorrow.

We are on our way to the mountains shortly. I assembled a cheese grits and veggie casserole last evening that will be baked tonight. I'm going to make a chuck roast and homemade sausage ragu as a gravy for the meat eaters. Daughter will be in charge of salad fixins or maybe we'll gather greens from the garden.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Tonight for dinner, homemade cheese bread with Italian herbs, roasted chicken breast, brown rice, and broccoli. Haven't figured out dessert yet.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I almost forgot to photograph my dessert last night. I just had a few minutes so just took a picture of the table. I made mini-pavlova's with lemon flavored whipped cream and an assortment of berries: blueberry, red raspberries, blackberries & pomegranate seeds. They were very good.

Tam

edited to fix a typo

This message was edited Dec 30, 2011 2:19 PM

Thumbnail by Tammy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.