Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Freezing Country Ham

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 26, Views: 215
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8945220

I have several slices left from a country ham that was cooked. Can this be frozen to eat later on?

Doug
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8949069

Do you have a food saver machine, if so package the ham in single slices and vacum seal, they should be good for 4 months in the freezer

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #8951496

you can use freezer bags and squeeze the air out as you zip it up, the same as with any meat. when ham thaws out, it tends to loose all the water content so it may not be as nice for sandwiches but is perfectly fine for soups or for frying. you can also take some pieces and cut them up very fine, freeze in individual small handfuls and use to top roasted vegetables.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #8962547

We smoke our own whole hams, then slice and freeze them. I use them in casseroles, soups and when cooking greens or beans. Packages of well stored meat are best used within a year. You do not need to vacuum pack but do use a good quality freezer bag or container. Actually the meat will safely store for much longer but the flavor quality will diminish over time.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #8963155

I ended up with about a pound or two already sliced. I put them in one of those Reynolds vacuum bags that you use the handheld vacuum to suck the air out similar to a foodsaver machine. I'll check it in a month or so and make sandwiches or fry it for breakfast. Thanks to all who responded!

Doug
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #8966823

My experience with freezing ham is that it seems kind of watery sometimes after I thaw it. But I like to cut the ham kind of thick and freeze it. Then when I thaw it, I like to cook it on the grill outside and you can use BBQ or honey mustard or whatever on it just when it starts to get done. It tastes so yummy on the grill and I can't tell it's been frozen.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #8967329

Doug…

I've frozen ham before and the sliced ham does come out a bit watery. I ate it anyway, heating it up in a big black skillet. Course now, then there was the time I froze a whole pig…

It was back in the day when I had a huge walk-in freezer for storing meats and other goods for the neighbors and me. While in there one day I wasn't aware one of my pigs followed me and must've went under one of the shelves to take a nap. It had been nearly 100 degrees for weeks and I imagine it was a nice cool spot for him. Several weeks later I opened the door and there is he was, frozen stiff through and through, standing on all four legs right at the door, kinda hunched over but still looking straight ahead.

After my initial shock I pulled him out and was reminded of those coin-operated horses out in front of the five-and-dime complete with saddle and bridle that kids would ride. His frozen form and posture was perfect so I temporarily anchored him to an upturned car hood so he would sway back and forth like a horsy ride and ended up selling tickets to the neighbor kids, for a while anyway. I didn't make but $1.50 off him cus he started thawing out, then oinking, grunting, and then squealing and took off down the road.

All of us started after him, the kids and I, and didn't catch up till he fell down. He wasn't dead but didn't look none too good. I was reminded of the time my GrandMother’s parakeet flew into the refrigerator years earlier. I was just a boy then and played no role in that episode. Apparently he flew in when she had the door open and she shut the door on him by accident. When they found him, cold as cubes, Granny was distraught. My GrandFather poured a teaspoon of gasoline down his throat and dang if that bird didn't take off flying all over the room. We were SO happy! Then he dropped, landing on the hardwood floor, still as a teacup. Turns out the bird wasn't dead, he just ran out of gas.

So now here was this pig, dare I gas it up? I didn't. Dare I take it back home? I didn't. And I also knew it wasn't good to freeze meat twice so I ended up giving it to one of the neighbors.

I hope this info helps you in the future when you need to know if you can freeze ham.

Best to you and yours.
Keep smilin'
Shoe
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #8967338

Love your stories Shoe!
;)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #8967346

Stories? But, but, that's the pure gospel!

Howdy Sugarweed! Always nice to see ya!
Warm enough?

Shoe

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #8967476

You ain't right!!!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #8967491

good grief, i started to get heart palpitations when i got to the part about that poor pig at the door...ya got me good.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #8967576

I wasn't sure if I was laughing or crying actually...
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #8967663

You're right, Doug. I ain't right, am I? :>)

Trackin', sorry about the heart palps! I hope the rest of the episode was more calming, educational and informative.

Lily...careful w/those tears, no sense cleaning your keyboard before its time! (if yours is like mine it's always crusted up with something!)

Shoe (off to fix some grub; wonder if I have any ham...)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #8967741

You're just right. What kind of car was it?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #8967743

You're just right. What kind of car was it? A Shiverolet?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #8967795

Hah! Yeh, musta been...that shivering pig sure kept that car hood rocking back and forth!

*grin
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #8967851

Chicken doo might be entering your bloodstream, Shoe.

Postmandug, pork is cheap food. I'd not spend money convoluting ways to store it. Unless you buy ham that is labeled "ham" and has zero water added you will have water. Most people buy water added ham. We don't. If you can be happy having a meal that is not have a slab of protein with sides you can store any ham easily. If the ham has water added the best use is as a component to a casserole. That's not to say it's inedible or untasty if eaten straight. It's just the quality will not be quite as good and it will be more dry.

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #8967920

We often freeze sliced ham, but not in bags. Use flat containers, and cover the ham with broth. Chicken, vege, or any you have. Thaw it out and it works fine for any sliced ham recipe.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #8967972

killjoy, LOL!
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #8987974

I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I freeze a number of things in zip lock bags including ham slices. I separate the slices with was paper then slip them in the bag. I then get a straw, stick it down in the bag and close the bag up tight against the straw. I then suck the air out of the bag, at the same time I pull the straw all the way out of the bag I pinch the rest of the bag shut.
A little bit ago I took my frozen ham slices out of the freezer and cant even remember how long ago they went in there. I took them out, removed one slice and put the other back. I was very skeptical about how it would taste, I de frosted it in the micro wave and tried a bite. It was fine, so I tore it into pieces, fried it in a frying pan, added a beat up egg and some shredded cheese. Eating it now and it is great.
I know Horseshoe personally and as soon as I started to read his comments I was already grinning, he has quite an imagination. I loved it.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #8988562

Howdy, Sparks! Nice to see ya!

What'dya mean I have quite an imagination? Sounds like you don't believe a word I say! *grin

Wishing you the best. Hope all is well down your way!

Keep smiling!
Shoe
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #8990503

Hello my friend Horseshoe. I don"t remember your age but I am 88 now. You got be getting along in years.
Eleanor and I live in an assisted living complex in Alpharetta, Georgia. I am in the independent portion and she in the assisted living section. She is there because I was worn out from looking after her and our daughters insisted she make the move. She only sleeps over there including two naps a day. The rest of the time she is with me. Her mind is still sharp and we play a lot of bridge here. Now how about you? How old are you, what are you doing with yourself these days and how about your daughter?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #8990695

Howdy, Sparks!
Yep, I remember when you and Eleanor moved to the assisted living place. I'm sure it is much different than your previous abodes, and MUCH different from seeing life from the top of a mast on a sailing ship all those years ago! (I recently had your book out, reading thru it about the adventures.)

Ya'll sound like you have a great set-up. My parents are similar to you, my Dad's being worn out from taking care of my Mom and could use a break. I'm glad you are so blessed.

Since you asked, I'm not 30 years old anymore, and feeling it! :>) Still plugging away though with plants and soil and all things gardening/farming. Daughter Alex is now 18 and soon off to college later this year. Life grows, eh?

Speaking of growing, a friend of mine is raising pigs. I wonder if I should get one and be more careful this time with the walk-in freezer.

Off to more work!
Good to see ya!
Shoe

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9013239

'shoe, I just now read your frozen pig story and I just about spewed my coffee on my computer screen. It's too early for April Fool's stories but that one would qualify!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9013596

I declare, I declare... I don't think she believes me, Folks! *grin

Glad I almost helped you clean the dust off your computer screen, Terry!

Shoe

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9013756

And it needs a good dusting - you are right about that! Oh, I believe you, because you couldn't make that stuff up, now could you???? (*bats eyelashes and gives a wide-eyed innocent stare*)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9013925

Hah!

Who? Me?

Nawwww...

Shoe (grinnin' here, out loud) (wonder how I learned to grin out loud?)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America