I WANT FREE OR CHEAP EBOOKS

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I just bought a tablet pc and I'm looking to download some ebooks to read on it when I'm sitting in the doc's office or anywhere I have to wait a while. I recently bought a bunch of paperbacks that take up a bunch of space. I'd rather store books on some tiny SD cards and carry them with me in my purse.

Where do y'all get your ebooks? I'm not wanting to pay over $2 a download. I can generally buy the paperbacks (fiction) for 50 cents to $2 used. Do you have any favorite websites you buy your ebooks from? Will you share them with me?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm new to this new technology but I'm quickly becoming a fan.

NancyAnn

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You can probably download a Kindle app/software for your tablet that'll let you read any books that are in Amazon's Kindle format. Many Kindle books you have to buy, but they also have a bunch of free ones and some for only a couple dollars.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Thanks, ecrane. I didn't know about downloading the Kindle app. As soon as my tablet arrives (tomorrow I hope!), I'll try to download it. I did manage to download a couple of books by one of my favorite authors. But the ones I can get free from the library are only "checked out" for two weeks. I guess after that they expire, so they're not permanently downloaded to my machine, just borrowed. I often read for pleasure when I'm sitting waiting somewhere. So it can take me a while to read a whole book, since I only read for a few minutes to two hours at a time.

My new tablet should come with some apps already installed, so that will be interesting. I have never worked with "apps" before...or if I have, we didn't call 'em "apps". So this is going to be a wonderful little adventure. Any insight from someone who has a tablet or an ipad would be great!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Apps are really just software programs that run on phones and tablets. The good news is they're usually cheaper than software you'd buy for your computer, many of them are even free (the Kindle one is free). There are Kindle reader apps for a range of different platforms--I don't know what kind of tablet you got but hopefully one of these will work http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sa_menu_karl3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

If I am not mistaken, most libraries also have ebooks available.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Pod, I mentioned above that my library has ebooks, but they can only be "checked out" for 2 weeks. So somehow they fix them so that two weeks after I download them, they "expire" and can no longer be read. Since I read infrequently, it would take me longer than two weeks to read them.

I wonder if I could get them from other libraries? Do all libraries require you to have a library card to access their online services? Maybe a Memphis library or one from a big city would have a bigger selection and I'd get to keep the ebook too?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you check the book out again if you haven't finished it in 2 weeks? You could look at some other libraries, but I suspect most if not all of them will only let you borrow e-books for a couple weeks at a time since they probably have a limited number of licenses for the book and will want to make sure the book comes back available for other people to borrow.

Ripley, MS

I just found this site recently and have the app on my IPad, but I haven't had any time to read lately, so I really can't tell you if the books are any good or not
http://www.free-ebooks.net/

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Sandra,

I think that's the site where I downloaded a few books by one of my favorite authors. I've also found some at Barnes and Noble and Kobobooks. But each requires a different app to read the books.

I just got my tablet in and it came with now instruction manual. It's very different from a computer, so I'll have to figure out how to do everything. First is getting the WIFI working. I need to get it on my network that the pc and laptop are on, but setting it up is different from setting up the laptop. The whole "control panel" is different, and it's not recognizing my network. But I'll figure it out. Maybe I can find a manual online that will tell me how to do everything. If not, I'll just keep pushing buttons until something happens. LOL

Ripley, MS

I do that pretty often my self, just keep pushing buttons!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

What kind of tablet is it? Maybe someone here has the same kind and could give you some tips.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

It's a 10.2" Flytouch 2 with Google Android 2.1 operating system, with a camera, WIFI, 3G, GPS. This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120833745560?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'm getting used to the touchscreen now. Tomorrow, the keyboard and case I bought for it should come in. I've installed two 8GB micro SD cards in it tonight to store music and books on. I really think it will be great to carry with me so I can read anywhere I have to sit a few minutes. I just hate wasting time, and waiting always makes me feel like I'm wasting time. At least now I can pass the time with a book.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I found a site with an owner's manuals and lots of other PDF files related to the Flytouch tablet. So if anyone has one and would like to know more tricks or tips for using it, here's the site:

http://www.crashzilla.com/support/

The site tells how to create a bootable micro SD card for the system, how to backup your apps, and more. I've printed the 40 page manual so I can get to know my "new friend". It came preloaded with several apps, including an ereader, google maps for the gps system, and other stuff I haven't figured out yet. It's a whole new world I get to discover.

Ripley, MS

I know, I have had my IPad since Mothers Day and there is always something else I find it will do, so much fun

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I wish you were here to teach me, Sandra. I was just running my finger across the touchscreen, trying to scroll, and the main menu flipped around and became a different menu. It just rotated, like dice--one menu on one side and another menu on the other side. Cool!!!

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I just got introduced to the Kobo and it looks like something I'd want! I gather you can download from your computer, or do you need a separate internet connection for the Kobo?
I saw a 6" screen for $79.99! Boy, this is better than the $400 I heard 8 months ago!

Ripley, MS

You will get it all figured out, my 12 and 11 year old grands play on my IPad all the time, and my 6 year old grand Molly plays with my IPhone. I have an otter box on it, but just a silicone jacket on the iPad, they just go to town on stuff like that.
Have fun playing!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Tallulah--similar to the Kindle, most of the Kobo devices are just e-readers, not tablets. Not sure what you're looking for, but if you want something that does more than just books you'll have to go for the Kobo Vox which runs Android and so you can surf the web, download apps, etc. It's $199 on their website which is the same price as the Kindle Fire (and their straight e-readers are also similar prices to the Kindle e-readers). I'd probably go with the Kindle over the Kobo, or at least do some research on the two so you can decide what's best for you before you run out and buy the Kobo.

I Just want an e-reader - no connectivity for me, unless it's to hook up to my computer to download. Or I can download to my memory stick I gather.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

The e-readers cost as much and more than the tablets. And the tablet will do much more, which you might want in the future.

Remember too that when they say a 6" screen, they are measuring diagonally. So it's not 6 x 6 but more like 5 x 4, which to me is too small to read. My 10" screen is actually 8.75 x 5 inches.

I don't know how the Kobo is set up, but you might check into it. You may not be able to add the software to read Kindle books or Barnes and Noble books or other books. It may be specifically designed for Kobo books only. With my tablet, I can download (for free) anyone's book software so I can read those books. I can also read PDF files.

My tablet has an internet connection so I can plug in my internet and download books. I haven't figured out how to hook it to the computer and swap the files. My tablet uses micro SD cards too, which my computer doesn't recognize, even in the adapter. So I haven't been able to copy the books on my computer to the SD card. I'll have to download them directly from the internet to the tablet, unless I figure something different.

Tallulah, can you go look at the Kobo and other tablets in person, just to get a feel for them? Maybe a salesman could show you some of the pros and cons of different models and show you a bit how they work.

When I was looking, I compared a lot of models. I wasn't looking to spend more than $100, but I wanted certain features and found them in this tablet. But I researched a lot before buying because $100 is a lot of money to me and I didn't want to buy something that I'd immediately feel was too small or lacking in some way. I think I can be happy with this one for years.

I agree about the $100 being a lot right now - my DH & I just started jobs.
I'll look into it when my DH comes home this aft.
Apparently the cost is very minimal, and a friend said her son will download some for me on a memory stick, if I get a reader. How thoughtful is that? Plus of course the libraries have them for loan.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The one thing to be aware of with tablets vs e-readers is that the color screens on the tablets tend to wear out the battery faster, and can also be harder to read in some lighting vs the e-ink that the straight e-readers use. Plus the e-readers are cheaper (you can get a Kindle for $79 and I think other e-reader brands have something comparably priced) so if you really just want it for reading and want the experience to be as close as possible to reading a paper book, then I'd go with the plain e-reader. But if you want it to do more like surf the internet, do email, etc then a tablet is a better bet.

Ripley, MS

http://www.komando.com/downloads/category.aspx?id=9327&utm_medium=nl&utm_source=dotd&utm_content=2011-12-30-article&utm_campaign=end

Check this out if you want to read on a desk top, I get e-mails from Kim every day. I have not tried this yet, but looks like fun to use

wow - I forgot that you can read books online. I found a couple of books about a year ago and read them - very good ones, too. Only thing is, I had to put the shortcut on my desktop, and then remember to delete them when I finished the book lol

This message was edited Dec 31, 2011 5:38 PM

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi there,I just got a tablet also.I had to put the microcard/adapter in the laptop slot,click on the start button,computer,look and see if the sd card is there.

What kind of books do you like? Authors?

Jan

I like Lucy Maude Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables, etc), Paul Fleischman, and fantasy.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I like Sandra Brown and Nora Roberts. I found a guy on Ebay selling ebooks on CDs. I got 162 Nora Roberts books for $13. He also has Sandra Brown, James Patterson, John Grisham and many others. His ID on ebay is hq4ebooks (Headquarters for Ebooks, I guess it means). He only has a few listed on Ebay. But the disc he sent me had a list of all the ebooks and prices. If anyone is interested in the list, I could post it here, if that's legal, or dmail it to you.

I've already checked out the CD and I'm able to read the files. They're in PDF format and I can read them on my PC and my tablet (after copying them to an SD card). I got the CD a couple of days after I ordered it. So I'd highly recommend this guy or gal. Great prices on the collections of ebooks too.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

http://www.bookbub.com

amazon and e-reader have the most.

Larkie

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Morning,
I saw some ebooks on IOffer.

http://www.ioffer.com/selling/katsumi09/Books-60000?item_id=381144118

I also know of someone that sells ebooks for .50 cents.If you want the blog and her email addy,shoot me a dmail.

I also bought a disk of 1600 romance books from a seller in Australia.If you want to send a cd I can copy it for anyone that wants it.Dmail me for a list on the disk.

Jan

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hey Jan, I'm interested. I'll dmail ya. Thanks for the ioffer seller!

NancyAnn

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

You can also 'loan' books. I can't tell you how ;0) but my daughter wanted me to read a book and she 'sent' it to me on loan. I didn't end up reading it and so it went back to her (just available for a limited time like the library I guess).. She has a Kindle and I have an IPAD and downloaded the app so that I could read and purchase kindle books from Amazon.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I don't like borrowing ebooks. There are so many free ones out there so I just get those. You can get a lot of free ebooks from Amazon. And they have daily freebies. The link Larkie gave for bookbub will alert you to the freebies. I got a free ebook today from an alert.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have a daughter that is going to be 12 and I was thinking for Christmas this year I would get her something to read on, she LOVES to read. trouble is I hate picking up piles of books all the time, keeping track of them, driving to the library and paying fines ect. So I would like something she can get books on, we can see a history or somehow control what she reads, and there is NO internet access or it could be blocked. I don't want to spend alot of money, because she is just 12 and let's face it, she drops things, loses stuff and that sort of thing. So nothing really pricey. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I have an e-reader that Does Not have connectivity of Any Kind.
I download the books on my computer, then I can put them on a memory stick and move them over to my reader, OR can connect my reader to the computer and download them that way. As long as you have a USB connection on your computer you can do it.
I have an Aluratek (part of the Kobo family of e-readers). and it was only $50 cdn.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Frilly, whatever you get her, I would advise checking to see what formats the reader will read. You don't want one that just limits you to that brand's books only. With my tablet, I can read almost anything--kindle, kobo, pdf, etc. Many of my books are in pdf format, but I also get kindle books too. So many of the different ebook sites have free e-books or 99 cent ebooks and I wouldn't want to be limited from getting those.

Ripley, MS

I have gotten so many free Kindle books, I doubt I will ever get them all read, but when I see one I like, I think? Why not?

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

No clue about i-pads or e-readers, but I do know a few places online where free books are available to read:

- Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

- Bartleby Bookstore: http://www.bartleby.com/

- The Literature Page: http://www.literaturepage.com/ (classic books, plays, stories, poems, essays, and speeches)

- "The Last Question" by Isaac Asimov (1956): http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html (science fiction)

Just wanted to toss those links out there, in case they may be of some value! ;-)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

My boyfriend is on the road a lot and he's looking for audio books he can download. Are there any free or cheap audio books sites, particularly for science fiction. He's doing Audible.com thru Amazon, but it's about $10/mo and he gets one free audio book and discounts on others, but he'd really adore me if I found him a FREE place to get audios. :-)

Ripley, MS

You can get them through some libraries, check with your library. Most of the libraries use Overdrive

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

The problem with libraries is they must be "checked out", usually for two weeks. He doesn't want to bother with those. He tends to listen to the books he likes over and over, so he wants to keep them.

He actually doesn't mind paying for them, but the more money he can save, the more he can spend on...ME! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images