Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Begonias: Propagation from rhyzome?

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 2, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Vadis
Alum Bridge, WV

December 28, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8946093

Is it practical to propagate a begonia from a rhyzome cutting? If so, how is it done?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8946302

Very practical. Cut a section of a healthy rhizome and either let the cut callous for a day or dust with a fungicide. Cut off older bigger leaves (you can propagate by leaves as well).

Prepare a clean pot of sterile media (I prefer perlite to begin with) and moisten. Place the rhizome on top of media and wiggle in slightly (do not bury). To speed up the process you can place a clear cover over the pot and place under lights or put near a window. Keep warm and you should see roots in a couple of weeks.

Here is a small tray of cuttings I did earlier this year.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Vadis
Alum Bridge, WV

December 29, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8947177

I am very grateful for your advice. I knew about the propagation from leaves but in this case I have only a rhyzome and frankly didn't know what to do with it. Now I do! Thank you very much...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America