Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cacti and Succulents: Donkey Ears.

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 12, Views: 172
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8947008

I was pleasantly surprised to find my Donkey Ears or Life Plant with flower stalk for the first time in several years. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54444/ Then I was taken back when I read more about the plant's beautiful flowers and its monocarpic condition. Have you a similar experience to share? Here is the inflorescent with many flower buds on mine.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8947013

The plant is quite large. I haven't a picture that shows the whole plant. I'll have to move the pot in a better location in order to get a good pix of it. For now this is all I've to show is a portion of the plant. Note (disregard the pink flowers that belong to another chalanchoes -- Mother of Thousand in this pix). Here is the mentioned MOT http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/216620/

This message was edited Dec 29, 2011 8:12 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8947549

The little gh is filled up with Kalanchoes buds and blooms. The left is the mentioned Donkey Ears/Life plant. On the right is the Mexican Hat Kalanchoes in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #8953479

I moved the Kalanchoe daigremontiana or Donkey Ears/Life Plant indoor for the duration.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #8953525

Hi Kim ~ pretty plant. It looks like my ceiling would not be tall enough for that jewel.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2012
3:37 AM

Post #8953875

Hi Christi ~ the "Monster plant" is roughly 3 feet tall. lol I had it on a coffee table at that angle and it looks huge! lol FYI, when I moved the plant. I discovered that it was bone-dry. The plant apparently responded to environmental stress? The drought condition perhaps triggered it to produce flowers? It was shared by a local friend as a little baby plant off of the mother plant in 2007 as I recalled. How old is your plant?

It was one of these "babies" that look like so;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #8953880

What an optical illusion. lol It is hard to take a photo when the bloom stalk is soooo tall.

Mine is a recent acquisition so still only a few inches tall. There were three or four plants in this pot.
It is languishing in the greenhouse this winter and I don't think I've taken a photo of it at all.

Drier conditions might well have triggered your bloom. And now it will die? What a shame although I am sure you have lots of its' offspring.
If not, let me know... 8 ))

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #8953883

Undoubtedly the plant is a fun one to have. With its beauties and various squirts plus the ease of care and its optical illusion of being a giant one! LOL Christi, I appreciate your offer. But thus far there are a gazillions babies that the plant has produced by mean of kikis. Will it die? This is my first hand experience with the plant. I'll post some update in the near future. Please stay tuned. ^_^
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #8953891

Looking forward to it Kim... if nothing else, we'll hold a funeral service for it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #8970564

The poor plant is putting all its energy to produce offspring by mean of flowers hopefully seeds formation, but the odd is against it. Being indoor this time of year--where pollinators such as bees or birds or even other critters like moths or even ants can't have access to the flowers. Those offspring kikis (those babies produce at the tip of the leaves) are only the viable mean for the time being. I do believe. The inflorescent and flowers today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ginger749

January 16, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #8970573

Looking forward to the outcome of your Donkey Ears.
Here's hoping you get some new plants out of it.

kell.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #8970578

Hi Kell, at time like this. I wished if I were gardening in the tropical zone instead.
ginger749

January 16, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #8970596

You know you should never wish !

For your wish may come true. ;o)

I would love to move to Canada.
I have my eyes on a Light House.
But 'Growin' told me to thing twice about it.
I'll look for his quote later.

I have a Picture of 'My Dream Light House' but I will need to look for it first.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America