Photo by Melody

Gardening by the Moon: January 2012, Moon Gardening . Happy New Year!

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 51, Views: 278
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8947033

January 2012

1st-2nd Barren Days. Do No Planting.

3rd-4th Fine For Planting Beans, Peppers, Cucumbers, Melons And Other Aboveground Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.

5th-7th Poor Days For Planting. Seeds Tend To Rot In The Ground.

8th-9th Favorable Planting Days: First Day For Aboveground Crops, Especially Peas, Beans, Cucumbers And Squash, Where Climate Is Suitable. Last Day For Root Crops. Both Days Good For Starting Seed Beds And Flowers And For Transplanting.

10th-13th A Barren Time. Best For Killing Weeds, Briars, Poison Ivy, And Other Plant Pests. Clear Woodlots And Fencerows.

14th-16th Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops. Fine For Sowing Grains, Hay, And Forage Crops. Plant Flowers.

17th-18th Plant Carrots, Turnips, Onions, Beets, Irish Potatoes And Other Root Crops, In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

19th-20th Seeds Planted Now Will Grow Poorly And Yield Little.

21st-22nd Good Planting Days For Root Crops, Where Climate Permits.

23rd-24th Good Time To Kill Plant Pests Or Do Plowing. Poor For Planting.

25th-27th Fine For Planting Any Aboveground Crop, Where The Climate Permits. Extra Good For Peppers, Tomatoes, Peas, And Other Vine Crops.

28th-29th Barren Days. Do No Planting.

30th-31st Fine For Planting Beans, Peppers, Cucumbers, Melons And Other Aboveground Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8947443

This list from the farmers almanac?
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8947970

Yes Susan I do get the Online edition.

I've subscribed to the digital online version, it is too expensive the shipping to Chile to get the actual calendar, although there is a bookshop in Santiago that import the Calendar and if you want it you have to order around September for the following year. But iot is very expensive due to the shipping charges.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8947994

As I promised I will try to discuss some extra info about gardening with the moon info and the Zodiac influences.

Today, it will be the background to explain the best I can.

There are 3 types of Moon planting, they are the Synodic (waxing and waning) cycle, the Biodynamic cycle and the Sidereal cycle.

Synodic (waxing and waning) cycle
Is the simple form of Moon planting which is the Lunar cycle with four phases or quarters. This cycle takes 29.6 days to complete. It groups plants into categories, Root Crops, Foliage, Crops with seeds on the outside, and crops with seeds on the inside. Then it assigns plants to the phases of the moon which best suits there growing characteristics.

Biodynamic cycle
Secondly, this method was developed by Rudolf Steiner in 1924, and the Zodiac signs used where the actual positioning of the signs in the sky, when the moon passed through them. In addition to the position of the moon, Venus and Saturn also played a large part in the Biodynamic farming calendar. there is the more detailed method using the 12 Zodiac signs as a method of position the moon, for more accurate planting.
Rudolf Steiner was the genious that introduce organic methods and permaculture is based on his discoveries

Sidereal cycle
The Sidereal cycle is very similar to the Biodynamic cycle except only the moons orbit around the earth is used to define the best times to sow and harvest. The orbit is divided up into 12 equal 30 degree sections to represent the position of the moon in the sky, but it may not be the same as the current moon position. The sidereal cycle takes 27.3 days to complete.
Which of the above methods is better is up to you to find out.
I suggest starting with the Synodic as a general rule and keep record of your planting and your results, planting contains a general guide to planting crops through the Luna cycle. The feed is updated once a day and is based on the GMT Time zone.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8948279

thanks for the info. I am going to plant this year by the synodic and keep daily records and pictures. If that doesnt work I'll try the next Susan
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #8950005

Cristina and ALL ~ HAPPY NEW YEAR!

And thanks again, Cristina, for posting this important info for all of us and sharing your insight and experience. Keep up the good work!

Evelyn ^_^
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #8950050

I also follow only the Sinodic cycle, Susan. Unless I have a cutting to plant or something out of the ordinary and it show a Barren Day in the Sinodic, I look at the biodynamic and if the moon is fertle I go ahead and do the cutting or the transplant.

1st and 2nd. January 2012
First quarter Waxing crescent Moon, in Pisces. Leaf planting days.
Leaf Pisces

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground produce. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. This is not a good time to pick vegetables if they are to be stored.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: This is a Water sign. It is a good time to sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celeriac, Lettuce, but it would not be a good time to sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans (Fava), Peas,

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This water sign promotes root growth.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #8950109

Yes, I was wondering about that. If one calendar says barren and the other says fertile, which do you believe? That was what was confusing to me...
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #8950203

As I said, if I use any other than the synodic, dear old timer's farmers almanac, I do it and recorded in my notes then I find out from my own experiences.

I do not like to be told what to do, that is why I do not buy complicated calenders, I like to learn from trial and error, at the end you do not make many errors and you just know.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #8950366

[quote="cristina"]I also follow only the Synodic cycle. Unless I have a cutting to plant or something out of the ordinary and it show a Barren Day in the Synodic, I look at the biodynamic and if the moon is fertile I go ahead and do the cutting or the transplant.

1st and 2nd. January 2012
First quarter Waxing crescent Moon, in Pisces. Leaf planting days.
Leaf Pisces

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground produce. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. This is not a good time to pick vegetables if they are to be stored.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: This is a Water sign. It is a good time to sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celeriac, Lettuce, but it would not be a good time to sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans (Fava), Peas,

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This water sign promotes root growth.[/quote]

OK, I am confused and it is still Jan 1st! On the top the calendar shows that Jan 1st and 2nd are "barren and do no planting". Are you now saying to plant Jan 1st and 2nd?

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #8950459

As I said, I use the Farmer Almanac, because it is simple. Synodic come handy when I HAVE to plant for one reason or another.

I am not saying that you should plant, but if you have to, you could.

By the way, there are many control studies done and published in agricultural journal/ magazines that have had positive result backing these claims.

What I am trying to promote is to garden for the JOY of gardening and to try new ways that could come beneficial for our plot, even if it is a little one or a large garden.

In the Synodic you start understanding the influences of the planets. The moon transit through the Zodiac every month.

Pisces is a strong planet and if you look is very good in promoting roots grow, so is Libra excellent for flowers.

The influence of the planets are:
Aries- A fire sign. Barren and dry. Harvest root and fruit for storage. Cultivate, destroy weeds and pests.
Leo- A fire sign. Very barren and dry. Cultivate, harvest root and fruit for storage. An excellent time to destroy weeds and pests in the fourth quarter.
Sagittarius- A fire sign. Barren and dry. Harvest roots and onions for storage, and plant onion sets and fruit trees. A good sign in which to cultivate the soil.

Gemini- An air sign. Barren and dry. Harvest root and fruit for storage. Cultivate, destroy weeds and pests. Melon seeds respond well in this sign.
Aquarius- An air sign. Barren and dry. Harvest root and fruit for storage. Cultivate, destroy weeds and pests. Good for planting onion sets.
Libra- An air signs. Semi-fruitful and moist. Best sign for planting beautiful and fragrant flowers, vines and herbs. Good for planting pulpy stems like kohlrabi, and root crops.

Cancer- A water sign. Very fruitful and moist. The best sign for all planting and transplanting. Also good for grafting, and irrigation.
Scorpio- A water sign. Very fruitful and moist. Best planting sign for sturdy plants and vines. Tomatoes like to be transplanted in Scorpio, and it is a good sign for corn and squash. Graft or prune in the third and fourth quarter to retard growth and promote better fruit. A good sign for irrigation and transplanting.
Pisces- A water sign. Very productive and moist. Second best sign for planting and transplanting. Especially good for root growth and irrigation.

Taurus- An earth sign. Productive and moist. Second best for planting and transplanting. Good for root crops and potatoes, especially when hardiness is important. Also a good sign for leafy vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage and spinach.
Virgo- An earth sign. Barren and moist. Some flowers and vines are favored by it. Cultivate and destroy weeds and pests.
Capricorn- An earth sign. Productive and dry. Good for planting potatoes and other root crops, and for encouraging strong hardy growth. Good for grafting, and pruning to promote healing, and applying organic fertilizer.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #8950481

OK, so you are telling me that the synodic and the FA are two different calendars. Now I comprehend. Sorry!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #8952473

3 – 4 – 5 January 2012
Fruits Aries

Synodic:
This is a good time to sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: This is a Fire sign. This is a good time to sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans (Fava), Peas, but it would not be a good time to sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celeriac, Lettuce,

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren, garden maintenance only.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #8953050

The Moon is in Aries which is dry and barren. The FA says to plant on the 3rd and 4th. Oh, gosh! I was about to sow some seeds today. Maybe I should only do a little and see what happens...
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2012

Post #8954671

Evelyn I understand your point of view, that is why I said that you always have to try.

The 2nd. it was a Barren day by the FA ( Farners Almanac) but the Synodic said: Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground produce, I did put some lettuces, cabbages and spinach. I'll see how I go. I willl let you know.

In your case although Aries is a barren planet, the FA tells you to plant above the ground crop and the Synodic to plant vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits , what it seems confusing, is not really because at this time the Moon is exerting all its influences, the Moon is in its second quarter, the gravitational pull is less, but the moonlight is strong, creating strong leaf growth. It is generally a good time for planting, especially two days before the full moon. The types of crops that prefer the second quarter are annuals that produce above ground, but their seeds form inside the fruit, such as beans, melons, peas, peppers, squash, and tomatoes. Mow lawns in the first or second quarter to increase growth.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #8954761

Cristina ~ As always, I appreciate you putting up these calendars for us. It will be interesting to see which ones produce the best results. Now, if only I felt better. I planned to sow seeds today, but did not. Maybe next time. I will have to record everything and which calendar says to plant what. Of course, we won't be able to sow seeds of tomatoes or melons this time of year, but of course, others may in different parts of the world.
NancyGroutsis
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #8954956

evelyn_inthegarden, regarding your January 3rd post I thought the moon was in Taurus on that day, however, maybe my calendar is wrong. Which source do you use? I check the Zodiac Arts online calendar which can be tailored for different time zones:

http://www.zodiacarts.com/Calendar.shtml

Astrologers say Taurus is associated with Mother Earth, so I try to do a lot of garden work during those days. I had great luck doing gardening planning during the last two days which I had thought was Taurus. For example, I found out I am not in zone 6, but my town, Hopkinton, is actually zone 5b. Knowing that motivated me to cancel an order for Nandina Firepower which isn't hardy in zone 5.

DoGooder
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #8955737

DoGooder
Your calendar is not complete, check out this other one, is more incline to help gardeners

http://www.astrologie-info.com/mocal.cgi?language=eng&sidtrop=sid

I do have a book on Ephemerides and I used to calculate the Zodiac best I can ( I do like Astrology as a hobby) until I did find this site and I've use it ever since, I do like it.

Yes Taurus is a good planet. I did a review about the planet influences in gardening the 1st of Jan.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #8955810

Friday 6 January 2012
Roots Taurus

Synodic:
Sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: This is a Earth sign. Sow Root plants like Garlic, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions, do not sow Flower plants like Broccoli,

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: This is a good time to sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.

7 January 2012
Full moon
Roots Taurus

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants like Garlic, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions, do not sow Flower plants like Broccoli.
Fruits Harvested now should be eaten straight away.

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, but good for promoting flower growth.
NancyGroutsis
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #8955842

cristina, I see that the calendar you use, astrologie-info.com, has some information that zodiacarts.com doesn't have. However, they both have the same dates for the Full Moon, New Moon, and quarter moons. Yet our calendars have different calculations for the moon signs.

For example, astrologie-info.com says the moon entered Taurus on January 4th, but zodiacarts.com says the moon entered Taurus on the 2nd. So at least one of the calendars is incorrect. I use two calendars, the zodiacarts.com for the current month and moonsigncalendar.net to for other months or years.

Moonsigncalendar.net says the moon was in Aries on the 2nd and was in Taurus on the 3rd, however, moonsigncalendar.net shows the moon sign that the day started as, but most of the times the moon enters a different sign later in the day. For example, zodiacarts.com says the moon began as Aries on the second but entered Taurus in the evening from 3:06 pm to 5:16 pm. Therefore, both calendars I use indicate that the moon entered Taurus on January 2nd.

I've been studying the moon signs for years and over that time I've been able to notice that certain moon signs produce better luck or worse luck for certain actions and that some types of events and signs happen more often when the moon is in one of the signs. For example, I tend to see more children in my life, in the news, and in the movies when the moon is in Cancer and Cancer is considered the mother of the zodiac and often relates to childcare among other things. I've had a lot of good luck in Taurus-related activities during the days that my calendars said the moon was in Taurus, therefore since they both indicate the moon entered Taurus on the 2nd and had a lot of good luck doing Taurus things on those days, I conclude that my calendars are correct. I recommend that you look at several calendars and compare moon sign dates to see if any others have the same dates that your calendar uses. - DoGooder
NancyGroutsis
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #8955878

I forgot that moonsigncalendar.net's home page doesn't have the moon phase calculator (it can be viewed by clicking the link on the left menu). The link that goes directly to the page is:

http://moonsigncalendar.net/moonphase.asp

If you check today's date it says the moon is in Taurus because that's what it was when the day started at 12 am. The moon entered Gemini from 3:46 am to 5:44 am today according to zodiacarts.com. - DoGooder

This message was edited Jan 5, 2012 8:49 PM
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #8956863

By the FA today is not a good day to plant.

Just to try I sowed some pumpkin seed. I noted in my garden journal and I will document the fate of those 6 pumpkin seed. It is Full moon , they should do OK going for the old days folks that have only the moon parameters to go by. Lets see!
NancyGroutsis
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #8956887

cristina, my calendar, Zodiac Arts, says the full moon is on Monday the 9th. I use the following web site to find out the exact percentage the moon is waxing or waning:

http://www.calculatorcat.com/moon_phases/phasenow.php

I posted my calendar information because I wanted to help. However, if you believe your calendar is more accurate that's fine with me as I'm here to be nice more than to discuss gardening or astrology. However, I will continue to post astrology information based on my calendars since that's what I go by. According to my calendar the moon is in Gemini which is an air sign specializing in communication so I hope we can be friendly about this issue as my experience taught me that the Gemini moon provides good luck to those who have a positive, friendly attitude.

DoGooder

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #8957238

DoGooder, you're OK. The more the merrier!

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 8, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #8959620

Just a bit busy. Bear with me. Here is today and tomorrow.

8 January 2012
Flower Gemini

FULL moon really Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
Sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits like Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants like Garlic, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions, do to sow Flower plants like Broccoli,

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.

09 January 2012
Flower Gemini.

FULL moon

Synodic:
Time to sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants like Broccoli, do not sow Rooting plants like Garlic, Jerusalem Artichokes, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions,

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, and yet good for promoting flower growth.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #8960883

Here we have 2 days with the same characteristics, although for the FA calendar it is barren till the 13th...
I did found some old potatoes pretty healthy with good chitting, I put them in soil. I'll see how do they go.

10 and 11 January 2012
Leaf Cancer
FULL moon

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celeriac, Lettuce, do not sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans (Fava), Peas,

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: This is a good time for germination
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #8962354

12 – 13 January 2012
Fruit Leo
Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: Fire sign. Sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans (Fava), Peas. Do not sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celeriac, Lettuce,

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Do garden maintenance.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #8962422

It's all well and good to be aware of the moon signs, but I'm beginning to think there is a lot more to cosmic influences. I'm anxious to read what Maria Thun has gleaned from many years of hands-on observation and research. Biodynamics is pretty complicated for a newbie and I don't profess ti understand it.

Phillip Callagan's work with paramagnetic rocks and our gardens interests me, as does the newer work by Hugh Lovel on Quantum Agriculture. Same for Peter Tompkins & Christopher Bird who wrote "The Secret Life of Plants", and "Secrets of the Soil".

The data on ORMU's blows my mind...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #8962481

Oh, Hi Darius!

I have loved those two books for a very long time, as it was ages ago when I first bought The Secret Life of Plants. I gave away my book, the Secrets of the Soil recently, and the recipient did not appreciate it as much as I did. I should have asked him to give it back. He is an engineer, very scientific, but I see not so metaphysical. There is more to life that what is the obvious if only we search for it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2012

Post #8962496

You gave away that book? Tsk, tsk.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #8962517

I know. I was trying to "spread the word". I thought he was ready for it, but maybe not. I read it and I wanted to share it. Some do not appreciate things like that, so that is the way it goes. Who knows, he may pick it up again and gain some insight. One never knows about things like that. There must have been a reason that I gave it to him. He was quite interested in the soil and how to make it better.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #8962524

Yep, it's hard to really know when the Student is ready for the Teacher to appear. If you were compelled, there's a reason... but the reason may be about you, not about him.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #8962701

I can't answer that one.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #8966565

14 January 2012
Fruit Leo
Last quarter

Synodic:
Do not sow anything in the garden. Only weed and harvest from the garden. It is an excellent time to start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: This is a Fire sign. Do sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans (Fava), Peas, but do not sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celeriac, Lettuce,

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #8966578

Hi Darius, yes there is a lot more to the influences not only of the planet but other cosmic factors but it need extensive studies.

About Leo I could say that:

Leo is a fire, masculine sign. It is the most barren and dry of all the signs. cultivate the soil, destroy weeds and pest.
Harvesting in a fire signs in the fourth quarter helps preserve fruit and vegetables for storage.

Forth Quarter of the Moon (decreasing) - This is the best time to cultivate, turn sod, pull weeds, and destroy pests of all kinds, especially when the Moon is in the barren signs of Aries, Leo, Virgo, Gemini, Aquarius, and Sagittarius.

Incidentally:
Leo has control of the heart, back, diaphragm and arteries.
Love and romance flourish in Leo, the heart. Leo is also a good sign to go looking for a job, if you are in need of one.
Paint your house during Aries or Leo. The paint will dry faster.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #8966803

Cristina ~ That makes more sense to do harvesting and weeding when the moon is in Leo.

Your FA calendar says to plant root veggies and flowers from the 14-16th, yet the moon is still in Leo, so I will wait. What about the next few days? It is supposed to rain next week, so I am trying to get a few things done in this unseasonably nice weather that we have been having.

Thanks,

Evelyn
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #8967331

Evelyn here we have the Jan. 15th and 16th. I do the same, if I am aware that Leo is around I do not plant anything.

That's why I feel it is good to know a bit about the planets influences on the Moon.

15 - 16 January 2012
Root Virgo
Last quarter

Synodic:
Do not sow anything in the garden. Only weed and harvest from the garden. It is an excellent time to start building a new compost heap..

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: This is an Earth sign. You can sow Root plants like Garlic, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions, but nothing as Flower plants like Broccoli

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.
EARTH SIGNS - ROOT GROWTH: Taurus Virgo Capricorn

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #8969055

16 January 2012

Root day Virgo
Last quarter

Synodic:
Do not sow anything in the garden. Do get rid of weeds and harvest from the garden. It is an excellent time to start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: This is an Earth sign. Sow Root plants like Garlic, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions. Do not sow Flower plants like Broccoli,

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #8973254

I thought that I was lucky. On Monday I was sending the 1/17 Zodiac Moon almanac , as I clicked send here on the thread. we had a black out ... the rest everyone knows it.

Only to continue the sequence I am sending day 17, 18 and to be on time the 19, 20 and 21.

17 January 2012
Flower Planet: Libra Moon: Last quarter

Synodic:
Do not sow anything in the garden. Do get rid of weeds and harvest from the garden. It is an excellent time to start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: This is a Air sign. Sow Flowering plants like Broccoli, Do not sow Rooting plants like Garlic, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions.

Sidereal:
Moon in Libra: Sow green manures or cover crops.

18 January 2012
Flower Planet: Libra Moon: Waning crescent

Synodic: 
Do not sow anything, use this time to weed and harvest. It is an excellent time to start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic: 
Moon in Libra: This is a Air sign. Sow Flowering plants like Broccoli, do not sow Rooting plants like Garlic, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions, 

Sidereal:
Moon in Libra: Sow green manures or cover crops.

19 , 20 & 21 January 2012
Leaf Planet for 19 & 20 : Scorpio, Planet for the 21: Sagittarius Moon 19, 20 & 21:  Waning crescent.

Synodic: 
Do not sow anything, use this time to weed and harvest. It is an excellent time to start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic: 
Moon in Scorpio: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celeriac, Lettuce, do not sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans (Fava),Peas etc.

Sidereal:
Moon in Scorpio: An excellent time for planting, germination and strong sturdy growth will result.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2012 7:04 PM
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #8975854

21 January 2012

Fruit Planet: Sagittarius Waning crescent

Synodic:
Do not sow anything in the garden. Instead do weeding and harvest from the garden. Start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans (Fava), Peas, do not sow Leaf plants like Cabbages,Celeriac,Lettuce,

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Good time to plant onion sets and bulbs.

22 January 2012

Fruit Planet: Sagittarius NEW Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. This is a good time to pick vegetables if they are to be stored.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans (Fava), Peas, do not sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, lettuce . Fruits harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Good time to plant onion sets and bulbs.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #8976980

23 & 24 January 2012

Root Planet: Capricon NEW MOON

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. This is a good time to pick vegetables if they are to be stored.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn: Earth sign. Sow Root plants like Garlic, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichokes,Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions, do not sow Flower plants like Broccoli. Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Capricorn: Potatoes and tubers planted now will have a strong growth.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #8979422

25 - 26 January 2012

Flower Planet : Aquarius NEW MOON
Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. Vegetables, Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Do sow Flowering plants like Broccoli, do not sow Rooting plants like Garlic, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions, Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Do garden maintenance.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 7:21 PM
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #8982253

27 January 2012

Flower Planet: Aquarius MOON: Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. Vegetables harvested today will not store well..

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants like Broccoli. Do not sow Rooting plants like Garlic, Onions, , Spring Onions...

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This is the best sign for planting soft fruit. It is a time of maximum water intake for plants.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #8982265

28 January 2012

Leaf Planet: Pisces MOON: Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. Vegetables harvested today will not store well.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Do sow Leaf plants likeCabbages,Celeriac,Lettuce, Do not sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans, Beans, Peas.

Sidereal:
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #8984598

29 January 2012

Leaf Planet: Pisces MOON: First quarter

Synodic:
Sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Lettuce, Do not sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans, Peas...

Sidereal:

30 January 2012

Fruit Planet: Aries MOON: First quarter

Synodic:
This is a good time to sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans, Peas. Do not sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Lettuce

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.

31 January 2012
Fruit Planet: Aries MOON: First quarter

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans, Peas, Do not sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Lettuce ….

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Good for garden maintenance.

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #8985517

I do have a question regarding Barren days/not good for planting. Some of the Barren Time notations mention that it's also a good time for weeding or clearing overgrowth etc. Would that be true of all times noted as "barren"/do no planting days?
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #8985989

Yes, dmac085 they are the best days to kill weeds and any overgrowth: they will have real trouble to reappearance in the garden area you are clearing.

I also have to add that Maria Thun follows the biodynamic method introduced by its creator Rudolf Steiner that I have mentioned sometime ago...

I have tried the 4 ways of Moon Gardening, that is the Almanac, Synodic, Biodynamic and the Sidereal. The one that works better for me is the Biodynamic.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #8986823

OK, Cristina, if the FA says, barren - do no planting, and the sidereal says barren...the Bio-Dynamic says:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans, Peas. Do not sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Lettuce

Do you plant when the Moon is in Aries? I would love to plant some celery, and I am having a hard time figuring out which is the best planting time for celery as I have not grown it before. They say it is hard to grow, but I would like to do it anyway. We live so far from stores (20 miles) and organic produce is expensive.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #8987068

evelyn, the most important factor is the moon, then the planet.

When the moon is in it's waxing phases the increasing amount of moonlight stimulates leaf growth, maximum seed germination is on the days before the Full moon.

For Celery the best results would be a leaf day under a water planet: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces and celery requires moisture all the times.

Just now is not a good, favorable time
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #8987287

Jan 29th Moon in Pisces...that was today!!! Well, I missed the mark, so I will wait until a better time.

So I will continue for the next few days to organize my seeds in order of sowing, and cleaning out all the pots and other seed starting items.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #8987288

Oh, yeah, February is almost here!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #8988446

Thank you Cristina:)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America