Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Seeds??

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 5, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8947304

Ok, my hostas have given me a lot of "seeds", how can I find out if they are going to grow? May i just sprinkle them in the area that I would like them to grow and hope or try starting them in paper towels???
IndaShade
Kylertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8947524

I find it's a lot easier to start them in a baggie on a paper towel and plant them into small pots as they sprout. There is alot of flotsam in hosta seed and it's almost impossible to know if you're planting a live seed or not.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8948021

I use a fairly fine sieve and rub the seeds in it to remove the black bits. sometime, i dampen my fingers to help - just be sure to put the seeds back in a paper container so they dry out. You can generally see easily which ones have well developed seeds. It's a good project for a January night.

I've also started them on paper towels, but have sometimes had difficulty separating the roots from the towel.

Ann

PS I expect I'll have LOTS of seed to share if anyone is interested, but I won't know just what until I clean the seeds.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8948644

I am willing to try anything, I love hostas, I know that the roots of seeds can be hard to get out of paper towels. What woud you think about using floral foam, a thin layer, cut into small cubes, that will stay just damp and when the seeds get growing, just plant the piece of foam with the seed in it?
I have done this with my garden plants, tomatoes etc. it worked well.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8949405

Never tried it. Probably would work well.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #8952367

This might be helpful, annabelle.

http://petiolejunction.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/how-to-germinate-seeds-indoors/

I had good success starting my hosta seeds last year, and I'm just about to get them started this year. I really do prefer starting my hosta seeds in a nice, light sterile seed starting mix. I germinate my seeds in a flat made up of individual cells (with holes in the bottom so I can bottom water.) These would probably be available at a garden center at a reasonable cost. Just make sure you get something larger (perhaps a flat) that you can set the tray in for watering purposes.

It's just my own personal preference, but I really hate sprouting seedlings and then potting them up. I'd prefer to start them in something that they'll be able to stay in until they have two or three sets of leaves. Hostas respond well to up-potting (repotting them into a larger container once they've reached a certain size), but I wouldn't want to fuss with them too much when they're just tender sprouts. Just my opinion. Others may have had better experience with sprouting seeds than I have, but for me...the less fuss the better! ;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America