Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Black-eyed Peas for Luck: Love 'em!

Communities > Forums > Article: Black-eyed Peas for Luck
bookmark
Forum: Article: Black-eyed Peas for LuckReplies: 5, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8947343

Our family's tradition is to eat black-eyed peas and cabbage on New Year's day for good luck with money in the new year. The Black-eyed peas represent coins and the cabbage represents paper cash. We love both, but can only eat so much cabbage. However, we can't get enough of the peas . . . possibly the reason we're not so wealthy, lol.

Thanks for a good read and spurring a few of my own personal memories.
Bev

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8947406

We love Blackeyed peas too, I always serve them for New Years and also throughout the year in very delicious soups.
Josephine.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8948199

I never cared for Black eyed peas...thankfully my family's tradition on New Years Day to to have Ham (Pork) and Cabbage...since I LOVE Fried/steamed Cabbage I make that my meal to insure that I get my share of the money in the new Year!!

I wonder why I am so poor?? LOL Jo

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8948214

LOL
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #8951048

Hoppin' John is not very appealing to look at, never mind how it tastes. Several years ago we made a big batch for a new year's eve party and the guests mostly spurned it, forcing us to rerun it at our meals for the next week. We've avoided it since then until this year when I discovered a recipe on the Better Homes and Garden's website for "Hoppin' John with grits polenta" which is much more colorful and tastier than the standard recipe, since it includes peppers, corn and other goodies. This time we will happily eat the leftovers for the next day or two.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #8952062

Blackeyed Peas and greens are our New Year's good luck menu. The BEPeas are the coins and the greens are the greenbacks!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Black-eyed Peas for Luck Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Grow'em, Store'em, Eat'em AmyInNH 0 Jan 2, 2012 2:09 PM
Good peas 3pmp 1 Jan 3, 2012 7:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America