Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Vallisneria americana

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 8, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eirlys1
Bronson, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8947736

Hello Fellow Ponders,

Located in Chiefland, Florida, (north-central, FL) I am looking for the nearest pond supplier for a submerged pond plant named Vallisneria americana. This is a plant that grows 2 ft. or more in length.

Anyone have info on a good place (internet or otherwise) to purchase a bunch of these plants?

We have a new 4-1/2 ft. pond, freeform - 3200 gallons, and I would like to give our goldfish and koi a place to hide/play in. Our fish are in holding tanks until the new pond cycles for a couple of weeks.

Thanks much!

Eirlys
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8947886

I gogled it and first one that popped up was Pond Megastore.
When you get some please let me know how they do in your pond as it looks some a plant that would be good in my nursery pond for the little ones. Good luck with it.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8947904

Did a little more research. It's American eelgrass. Native to US. Sounds like a plant that is probably already in our waterways. Sounds like it will really multiply on its own. Bet you will locate some in lakes. I'll ask around here.
Bonnie
eirlys1
Bronson, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #8949614

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you for your responses. I've purchased wonderful healthy plants from you before, and checked your store first for this wonderful eelgrass. Apparently, it is hard to find/purchase. I haven't seen any growing the places I have been in Florida - canals, natural ponds, etc. I, too, came up with Pond megastore on searches for Vallisneria americana, and my first searches for eelgrass were the same as yours - native plant, but no info on where to buy.

Our pond builder got two nice clumps from his neighbor's pond and I planted in two black containers with pea rock. Placed in the bottom of our pond a few days ago. Our new pond is cement, much larger than our old liner pond. The two pots of eelgrass don't give much hiding room for the fish, so I'm on the hunt for more. Will let you know when I place an order for the eelgrass and take some pictures when the plants arrive :-)

Eirlys
Chiefland, Florida
eirlys1
Bronson, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #8949683

Woops, sorry Bonnie - I see you're in Clermont, Florida. Not the Bonnie in North Carolina of Bonniesplants. I'm not to bright a 3 in the morning.

Nice to know we're kinda neighbors :-)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #8949779

Hi Eirlys,
I laughed when I read your post cause its happened before. Wish I did own that nursery. I buy lots of plants from there.
I go through Chiefland every time I go up to Shady Grove (Madison area) to visit my dgt. Let me know if you find that eelgrass. Sounds like something I'd like to shade the fish in summer. All of my ponds are under an oak tree but they do get afternoon sun. When I'm driving up that way again I'll D-mail you and maybe we could get tog. Always love meeting other gardners & ponders.
Bonnie Davis
eirlys1
Bronson, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #8950115

OK, so I'm not the only bozo around!

Wonderful that you drive through Chiefland, and yes, I'd love to get tog. Sounds like you have a lot more experience than I, and if convenient for you, stop by to see my one pond. I'll let you know if I have success acquiring the eelgrass.

Please D-mail :-)

Eirlys
Spanish Trace Sub-division
Chiefland, Florida 32626
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #8959969

Eirlys: Question-why are you choosing to let your pond cycle for a few weeks for the fish to be put into it? It a bit of overkill unless there are some circumstances I am not aware of.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #8988663

Eirlys,
How's the ellgrass doing?
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America