Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: Anti Virus programs fighting each other.

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 8, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8947749

I had three anit virus programs on my computer, all free. Avg, IQorbit (sp) and not sure about the other. My computer was taken to an expert and it was cleaned up completely, I had put my documents on Flash Cards. I was also told that the expert uses the free AVG for anit virus control on his personal computer. So now that is what I have. I also had the free Advance Systems Care for some infections (not an anti virus program). For some reason I am having trouble finding it again. Would appreciate comments.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8947751

Well my comment is I have used AVG free for years with zero problems. Nothing else. I think a LOT of PC problems are user generated. My Dad for example is one of those people who sees a popup stating "You may have a virus, click here..." then ends up with more problems than he started with.
Toolbars are another resource hog that people get roped in to installing.

Doug

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8948266

from what I understand... you can only have 1 antivirus program .. or they conflict with each other.

I agree with Doug on the "User generated" issues... every time a computer 'had an issue' that I had to fix, it was because one of my boys [Dh included] downloaded something .
I, personally have not had that happen to me.

Is this your Advanced Systemcare ??
http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8948295

I have been using Advanced System Care for several months, and liked the free version a lot. Recently I was having some problems of an unknown variety and had it do a "deep scan"- it found thousands of problems in the registry but would only fix part of them with the free version. I just for the heck of it looked at the price to upgrade to the "pro" version- it is a special price of only $12.95, so I did it-(usually I refuse to pay anything for protection, but I really like this one). It registered itself and went on with fixing my problems. I am very satisfied with it. There are dozens of options so you can totally customize it to what you want and need.
I don't agree that one can only run one antivirus- I have always used more than one and no problems. Anything but Norton- you couldn't pay me to use it or Mcaffee.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8948416

I did a quick google and found a 'newsletter' of sorts... "Ask Leo"

here is a snippet...

Quoting:
There's nothing at all wrong periodically running an anti-virus scan with more than one anti-virus program. The key here is that it's just a scan - it starts, it scans, and then it's done. There's no opportunity to come in to conflict with another anti-virus program.

Real time monitoring, on the other hand, is another story. When you install most anti-virus programs they often automatically install and enable their real-time monitors. Running two or more real-time anti-virus monitors at the same time is very likely to cause a conflict. That conflict could result in error messages, crashes of the anti-virus programs, or other types of failure.

So it's certainly OK to have more than one anti-virus program installed, and it can make sense to run a scan using a different program from time to time, but you must make sure you only have one real-time monitor enabled at a time.

The simplest way to do so, as I mentioned earlier, is to rely on a single, good anti-virus program and make sure that its database of known viruses is continually being updated.

Here is the article
http://ask-leo.com/can_i_run_more_than_one_antivirus_program_antispyware_program_firewall_should_i.html

Looks like the issue is in "real time" monitoring, not just "having" them.
kowari
Rottweil
Germany

December 31, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8949144

Some (not all) Anti Virus Programs regard other Anti Virus Programs as another virus and attempt to delete them. But, generally speaking, you can run several AV programs if they are compatible with each other. They soon let you know :)))
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #8950001

Thank you all for your comments. The only anti virus I have now is the free AVG. It has already blocked one threat.
It is my understanding that Advance System Care is not a virus program but does get rid of many annoying infections. Should I be able to use it and AVG with out a conflict?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #8950062

no -- it seems more like a "cleaner" / utility to help, keep things in order. I use something similar.

since it is not running in the back ground, and not an Antivirus program, you should be able to use the two without issues.
kowari
Rottweil
Germany

January 2, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #8951127

Hi, Sparks42, it should be fine, running the two together...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America