Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: Grow Bag size for veggies

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindaboom
New Harmony, UT
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8947827

Hello Great Container Gardeners,

I have terrible clay soil and want to try growing tomatoes, peppers, carrots and maybe corn in Grow Bags in the spring. What is the best size of bag to use? I plan to use Al's 5:1:1 mix as the planting medium.

Thanks,
Linda

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8948000

The size of bag will vary. 15-25 gallons for each tomato plant - depending on variety, and 4-5 gallons for each pepper plant is a good starting point. For carrots and corn, bag size would depend on the number of plants you intend to grow in each bag.

I really think you'll be happier with something other than the mixes I suggest for conventional containers, though. Hydrologically speaking, grow bags are mini raised beds. Because water behaves differently in grow bags - that, because the earth below acts continually as a giant wick and perched water isn't normally a problem - a heavier soil that holds more water against the wicking action of the earth is desirable. Should your intent be to site the bags on a surface that doesn't absorb water (deck, concrete slab ...) then disregard what I just said and treat them like you would containers ... in which case the 5:1:1 mix would be much more appropriate.

Al
lindaboom
New Harmony, UT
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8949320

Hi Al,
Thanks once again for the good advice. I do plan to site the grow bags on my patio so I'll be able to benefit from the 5:1:1 mix. I know I'm wishing my life away but can't wait to grow my veggies (my first time). I live in a rural southern Utah area (close to Zion National Park) and have lots of wild critters including, of course, mule deer galore so the only other thing I'll have to take care of is erecting a deer proof fence with fence posts and the mesh fencing. It seems to work well in my neighborhood. Onward, ever onward !!!

Happy New Year,
Linda

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8949428

Good luck, Linda. Watch the soil temperature if you're on a cement slab in the sun ...

Happy New Year to you, too!

Toast: May you be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man/[woman]. ~Benjamin Franklin

Al

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America