Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.
Want some caviar with your bubbly tomorrow evening? If you're short of roe, try some of this Texas style...
TEXAS CAVIAR WITH AVOCADO
adapted from allrecipes.com
Yield: 32 servings
• 2 (15.5 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (or black beans), leave whole or mash a bit
• 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
• 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (or green onions, white & green portions)
• 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno peppers (veins and seeds removed)
• 8 fluid ounces Italian dressing (Wishbone)
• cayenne pepper or sriracha sauce to taste
• 2 ripe avocados - peeled, pitted, and chopped
• salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, mix black-eyed peas, tomatoes, sweet onion, jalapeno peppers, Italian dressing, and cayenne pepper. Stir in the avocados just before serving. Serve with scoop tortillas or other dippers.