Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.
Want some caviar with your bubbly tomorrow evening? If you're short of roe, try some of this Texas style...
TEXAS CAVIAR WITH AVOCADO
adapted from allrecipes.com
Yield: 32 servings
• 2 (15.5 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (or black beans), leave whole or mash a bit
• 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
• 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (or green onions, white & green portions)
• 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno peppers (veins and seeds removed)
• 8 fluid ounces Italian dressing (Wishbone)
• cayenne pepper or sriracha sauce to taste
• 2 ripe avocados - peeled, pitted, and chopped
• salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, mix black-eyed peas, tomatoes, sweet onion, jalapeno peppers, Italian dressing, and cayenne pepper. Stir in the avocados just before serving. Serve with scoop tortillas or other dippers.