Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: My "Schefflera Gerda " is dying

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hamed_shk
dresden
Germany

December 31, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8948702

Hi

I am a beginner started to keep some nice flowers in my house in Dresden, Germany. I have a "Schefflera Gerda" for some months. But, since a month ago its stem began from its lower end to get dry as you can see in the picture. Its leaves are falling gradully and it needs urgent heal in my idea. I would appreciate so much any helpful comments to revive my Schefflera.

Thanks in advance
Hamed

Thumbnail by hamed_shk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8948747

I would check your watering, these plants don't need a ton of water and overwatering is one of the most common ways to kill house plants.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #8951911

I agree with e-crane. Also check for drafts. Drafts of cold air from a door or window, or hot dry drafts from a heating system can cause leaf drop.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

January 5, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #8956218

I agree with the others re watering, best to stick your finger into the soil and if it feels dry give some water if wet / damp then leave alone.
Your plant also looks like it is stretching up for light, so when did you place it beside the window, look for draft from window as mentioned, also an idea if you can change the soil the plant is in, gently remove the plant from the pot, gently shake off the soil and maybe even wash the soil off the roots, replace the soil bought from garden center for in-door plants, some soil in bottom of pot, add plant and make sure you gently spread the roots out, add more soil and lightly press down so you get rid of ant air pockets, when your done, water a few days later, never leave the pot sitting in water but let the water drain away then place pot / plant onto saucer. the hot / cold air will have an effect on the plant as said above so keep an eye on it for several weeks till you begin to see new leaves start growing either at the same place as old leaf or at top of plant.
Don't attempt to cut back the plant till you see it growing healthy new shoots.
Hope between us all this helps. Good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America