Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
clevesmith
Goodland, FL

December 31, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8948890

How big should the opening for the wick into the planting medium? I seem to be drowning summer squash. No problem with tomatoes and okra. Thanks

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8948915

The opening only needs to be large enough to accommodate the diameter of the wick. It might be of some benefit to you if we started a dialog about your o/a set-up. That you DO need a wick is a pretty clear indication you could probably do better by adopting a soil with better drainage/aeration.

My wick set-up below:

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Click the image for an enlarged view.

clevesmith
Goodland, FL

December 31, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8948930

I am using coco coir 80% perlite 20%. The opening for the wick is about 7 inches. I am not using any cord or anything else like that.
clevesmith
Goodland, FL

December 31, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8948935

Sorry fogot to say thank you Al

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8948992

Generally, those that use coir commercially limit it's presence in container substrates to 10%, 15% at the max. It's fine particle size (promotes excess water retention) and extremely high K (potassium) content can both be problematic. Often too, it's very high in soluble salts, perhaps as a result of having been exposed to seawater during processing. It's difficult to try to nail down a specific cause related to your problem because there are several potential possibilities, given the high volume of coir you're using.

If nematodes aren't an issue in your area, partially burying the container might be helpful until the planting has matured to the point where it needs watering at least every other day while still partially buried. This employs the earth as a wick and turns your pot into a mini raised bed, hydrologically speaking. It should resolve the 'drowning' issue if in fact that is the source of the trouble.

Best luck - Happy New Year!!

Al

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America