-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8949310

and now after maybe 5 years all these little shoots are forming (with a couple out of the photo range). it must really like where it is but i don't know why since i know nothing about peonies. just glad that it is happy. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

December 31, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8949453

It took five years for it to sprout? You planted seeds? Uh, myriad pips on a five year old plant isn't that unusual. I must be missing something.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8949493

i planted one plant which flowerd that spring. then next year there was another plant and each year a couple more. I told you i know nothing about peonies. i though that they were doing good. but then what do i know.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8949514

It's all the same plant xuling, just sprouting more stems and spreading.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #8949958

Which is still pretty neat. It looks very robust. Do you know the name?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #8949962

And in a sense, they could be new plants. I wouldn't dig it up the split the tubers though. But theoretically you could split the tubers that have nice eyes on them and have several plants. But it's always a bit of a crap shoot, especially if you don't know much about peonies. I would just sit back and enjoy what must be a gorgeous peony bush.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #8950453

Unfortunately I can neither remember the name nor find a name tag, but here is the next best thing - a photo.
Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #8950713

Oh my. What beautiful colors. Are they true to the real flower. It must be a real eye popper when fully in bloom. I can't imagine why you haven't been bitten by the peony bug. It sort of follows the "betcha' can't grow just one..." idea. lol. At least for most of us here.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #8950787

the colors are pretty true. the blooms are scattered out over a short period of time so it isn't like one big bouquet. but the colors are stunning. I hope that lots of the bush(s) flowers freely this year. I have only so much room, way to many cactus/succulents and lots of other plants to grow lots of peonies. but i did clear away some other plants so this peony can spread its wings. I took a good look at the little plot of dirt today and can tell they are growing larger practically daily. Pic was taken 4.21.2010 xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 2, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #8951202

So Windsor is on the coast and fairly high up? If it is too hot the peony doesn't do well. It looks a lot like Coral Sunset or Coral Charm. Don't know that that is correct, but that is what is looks like to me. I have Coral Sunset and it is gorgeous. I think mine has a bit more yellow in the center though. If yours is in the sun, it will bleach fast. I bought Chinese umbrellas to protect mine from rain as some are so big (bomb type) that they fill with rain and collapse. Most of mine are what is called the Japanese type which are very simple with fewer petals, or singles. But you do have a winner there. Bet your neighbors are envious.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America