Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hypertufa and Concrete: house siding, w stucco and cement board.

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 2, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #8949902

My MIL has an old farm house and they added on a room and closed in some windows. Next they used strand board and house wrap. Then they screwed up 4x8 sheets of cement fiber board, similar to the Hardie Board siding, but I think a cheaper store brand is what they used. Then they used some kind of spray machine and spayed a stucco mixture over the cement board. Then they painted it with Elasameric paint. (not sure if I have that name exactly right or not, but anyway, it is an elastic sort of stretchy paint that is used specifically for stucco, maybe they used a primer too, I don't know right off).
Has anyone ever heard of doing siding like that and if so how it would hold up over time, weather, ect. I would love to hear suggestions and advice for siding a house. I would like stucco, but the labor is so expensive and we could do this method ourselves. What do ya'all think of it? Her project turned out beautiful. But it is an old farmhouse and very small, so not too much risk involved. I am a little more reserved to do it on a new house construction...
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

February 11, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9002736

I've seen it done, but usually in pretty warm climate areas. Not sure how it'd hold up in colder areas. There must be some method, because I see textured finishes even in cold Indiana. Good luck. Perhaps check at a store like Menard's or Lowe's. They usually are helpful to DIY customers.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9002906

could be that what you seen is the system where they use a thick styrofoam stuff and maybe a thin wire coating? and then put the cement/mud mixture over that. I can't remember what it is called right off. But there were a lot of problems with mold forming underneath due to inadequate drainage behind the foam sheeting and then it being sealed over too tightly, no air flow I guess. There were some major class action law suits against the company with the patent it, and since then they have supposedly fixed the issue.

It also seems REALLY susceptible to damage. The corners get banged up, kids playing on it, ect, really tears it up because it looks nice on the outside but it is really not very strong.

I like the idea of mixing my color right into the cement mixture, I wonder if that would ever have to be painted then? I don't see how stucco keeps from cracking, if it is not sealed with something, wouldn't it absorb moisture and freeze, bust and crack?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America