CLOSED: Birthday Club January 2012 Let's Get The Ball Rolling

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

After much consideration I have decided to go ahead and change the way the Birthday Club works. I think in deference to the economic times we are in I am going to change this from a gifting kind of thing to CARDS ONLY. This change will go into effect starting in January 2012. I think that is the most fair way to do it so that the people at the end of this year who have played along nicely all year will still get their gifts from everyone.

So everyone that has a birthday starting in January will get a card from each of us in the birthday club sometime the month of their birthday. It is really a lot of fun to get snail mail these days anyway since we all live in such an electronic world. If you are so inclined to want to include a pack of seeds or something flat in with the card that is strictly up to you and should not in anyway be expected by the birthday girl.

I am hoping that this will encourage some of the people that have left us and some that would like to join, but are unemployed, to jump in and make this grow. Just think about getting 10 or 20 or 30 cards in your birthday month! So spread the word far and wide and lets see if we can make some new friends and have a sort of old fashioned pen pal arrangement.

We still want to chat and joke and know what is going on in everyone's life just like before, but at least this should remove the financial burden for a lot of people. Organized people can even get all their cards at the beginning of the year and get them all set up to go during those slow winter months.

Thanks a bunch to all of you for hanging in there and trying to make this work. I don't want it to go by the wayside. I have left the likes and dislikes lists attached for any new members that come on board as well as us old folks to look at so that we can send that extra special card. Everyone has special interests and we should remind ourselves of them now and then.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8142063
Irisluvr0252 (Debbie) Feb. 25
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8057458
Goldhillal (Crystal) March 21
Carolyn22 (Carolyn) April 3
AmandaEsq (Amanda) April 6
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7958412
Crit (Patti) May 10
Mud_Elf (Kris) May 10
taters55 (LK) June 13
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8039522
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7896427
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886786
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8242576
Cville_Gardener (Carole) Nov. 30 Effective on 1/2012
Dahtzu (Faye) December 25
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8005430

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 12:02 PM

This message was edited Jan 13, 2012 7:53 AM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

^_^ Waving and checking in here.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Got my calender all marked in red for my Birthday girls. Got to do another for relatives...
Can we, May we make cards too???
Happy New year everyone.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Happy New Year everyone. Here's to great gardening year in 2012!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Happy New Year to all you great Bday ladies. It's January but it's still my Birthday. Thank you so much Michelle for the beautiful Tulips. They will sit in my kitchen window reminding me that Spring is on the way. Love the card too.

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Love that card Faye. Michelle you are really doing well with those flowers. I really like them!

Yes of course you can make a card Char. I just ask that everyone do something nice if you are going to make cards. Make them personal for the birthday person.

I wouldn't be mean to anyone for anything. I love all of you.
They won't be fancy just something from me to you (each person)

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm here.. in the corner.. got some kind of stomach bug, so don't want to give it to anyone! I owe 2 birthday presents to Faye and Twyla..they'll go out this week, if I make it out of the house. I'm glad I don't get sick often! :(

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Feel better soon Chris. My carpenter that is working here had that same thing for the better part of a week. I felt so bad for him. Told him to stay home though, because that is the last thing I needed.

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Checking in here from the pond... it is cooooooooooooold this morning.

HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL!!!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Elfie!!!! So glad to hear from you.. Hope it was a good holiday down your way.

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry to be gone so long. We have been busy here what with Ralph's Father passing away.

The kids were here for 10 days and it was crowded and wet and cold, so we played lots of computer movies and games. They are home now and I am recuperating,,lol

Then I lost the thread,, so was not finding you all. But I am here now and Ralph bought me a roll of stamps for Christmas and a ton of Birthday cards, so I am set for this year. I will just need to personalize them for each person.

Huggs to all!!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Evening Girlfriends!

Feel better soon, Chris. *knock on wood* I rarely get sick either. Take it easy. If you didn't live so darn far away I'd bring you a bowl of chicken stew. Made a huge pot last week and have several pints in the freezer.

It's been a rough time for you and Ralphie here at the Holidays, Elfie, and I think about ya'll every day. Glad you had the kids but geez that's a long time to be cramped up. Was Santa good to them?

Been thinking about making some cards too, Char, using pics I've saved from my gardens. Time will tell how that goes. Just when I stocked up on ink cartridges I think my printer is going on the fritz either on its own or Max has helped by stuffing his paws it too many times. His bed is right in front of my printer. When I print...he pounces...lol.....and also loves to lay with his legs resting on the paper tray. Crazy cat.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

in w/ both feet despite computr probs and now plumbing/flooding in the basement.

hi kris! sorry to hear about ralph's daddy.

hope everyone has warm noses and toeses tonight!

xox

A.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm still in for the cards. Don't know if I'll make any cards, but who knows. Miracles do happen. :)

Won't be long until Spring. Yippee.........

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Glad to see folks are finding us. Bring your friends. Just think about how fun it is to get snail mail. Remember that feeling you used to get when the mailman came and there was a letter just for you? How cool was that?? That's what I'm hoping to rekindle in everyone. So let's all try to just keep it at cards and not end up with boxes of stuff that cost a lot of postage.

Interesting day yesterday and I hope it won't be repeated today. Be very glad when this kitchen is torn out and the demo crew leaves.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, the days of snail mail are slowly fading away. I used to have pen pals as a child and it was always such fun to get letters and cards. I must say I only get a few cards now and then these days, but perhaps that's because I quit sending as many myself. Maybe this will spur me on to renew that practice in some measure.

Hang in there with the remodeling ... it will all be worth it in the end. But what an irritation and annoyance to have workmen in the house. Ugh. I hate that part of it. Not to mention dirty and dusty. I'm still getting rid of dust from the remodel here ... and that was only a half-bath. :(

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

How funny ..... I have the same name as Fruity and Neener ...... OCD. My main thing is I can't stand to see pictures that are crooked!!!!! It makes me nuts. Also have to close doors and drawers behind me, and turn out lights when I leave the room!

I have some calenders but durn if I remember who to send them too. So aggravated. So if you want a couple of donkey calenders, let me know, please....

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, duh, I just noticed that you put the birthdays in the order they come up. Thank you!

Don't you just love late Christmas presents, like the email I received from DirecTV announcing our service is going up 4% in February and heard on the news today our electric bill will reflect an approved SCC rate high of 10% in March. At least that bill won't be so bad til we have to crank up the A/C.

Hang in there, Neener. It'll all be worth the mess in the end.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Michelle, trying to post this once more i type them out to not go goes to gooofy page not even on Daves, i love the socks need them this colddd house and hoping tea will make me sleepy so can get some decent sleep hours in.. thanks so much sure enjoyed getting B. boxes.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Dear God - I read this on a different chat thread:

Quote from taters55 :
Ladies, I have a prayer request please? Some of you may know Faye/dahtzu. She posted this on another thread...

My Ray needs your prayers. Today we were told that he has cancer again. 3 Yrs ago he lost a kidney to cancer and now the cancer has come again in his back. Ray will have surgery next Fri. the 13th. Dr. said it would be wide and deep because will be cutting out muscle. My heart is breaking, I love him dearly.
Faye

I don't see anything here, and I know that Faye is a part of this group. Faye and Ray are two of the sweetest people I have ever met, and it pains me to know they are suffering. :/

A.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Faye

Please know both you and Ray are in my thoughts and prayers.

Large prayers being sent up for Faye & Ray!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for letting us know A.

How Sad... Prayers for Ray and Faye here also.

Hey Charleen..... haven't seen you around for a while. I was just thinking about you today, was going to try and find you and here you are!!!!! ^_^

I have a swap going on if anyone is interested. It is a Sock, Sniff and Sip swap. Signups until 8:00 a.m. January 10th. Mailout by January 31st.

Here is the link if you are interested: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235927/

Patti

Hearing the news about Ray made me numb, Manda.

Faye, when you have a chance to check in, please keep us posted with his progress. You and Ray are two of the dearest, finest special folks I've ever had an opportunity to meet. Know that I'm holding both of you close to my heart and I love you both.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I know Froot. It had been a teary day for me. I heard from an old friend of my mother's and her letter made me cry. But I had some happy tears because Neener dear dropped something sweet in my mailbox too.

Faye - it may be time for me to drive on down to set a spell with you and Ray. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do. I will gladly come to hold your hand and wait with you for Ray to come thru on the other side with flying colors.

You are like family and hearing that you are hurting pains me in a way I haven't felt since I was orphaned. You are both in my heart, and I pray that Ray's faith is rewarded with successful surgery and recovery.

Loveyou.

You couldn't have summed up my feelings any better, Manda.

I talked to my girlfriend 'down the road' this morning. Living 12 miles apart is still close 'as the crow flies' when you live in the country, and we both do. She's been cooped up with a cold and haven't seen her since we exchanged Christmas gifts. But how excited she was on the phone this morning telling me all about the photos of her little dog that were taken by a professional pet photographer two years ago was priceless. It couldn't have been better timing for her or a more uplifting surprise.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

:-(...

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh dear God.. I haven't been on all day yesterday because of the mess here. Reading about Ray has put it all in perspective. He is the one of the dearest people I have ever met. I can't even imagine what this is going to be like for them. Where's that darn transporter when I need it most. This is not how I wanted to start my day. Have to call my Mom.

We love you Faye and only wish Ray will have a speedy recovery.

After I finished packing more boxes to donate to Goodwill, I just had to go outside this afternoon to talk a walk and soak up the warm rays. 60 degrees in January is unheard of. Although I remember several years ago hubby and I went golfing on New Year's Day and it was a balmy 70 degrees.

My Swan Island catalog came yesterday. I only ordered it because hubby wants our old canna garden at the side of our garage filled with Dahlias this year. Yeah right. I handed him the catalog before I ever opened it so he could get a sense of sticker shock. I made a list according to height and how many we'd need to fill in that garden.....what a pipe dream and think maybe ordering a collection or two might be a better deal. I'd be happy to fill that area with Sunflowers and other tall annuals that self-sow and wouldn't have to dig and store expensive tubers.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

When is Ronnie going to get out there and start digging on his hands and knees? Like Court with the Christmas tree who said that it should come down on January 6. I put it up. When do you think the tree is going to come down?!

:P

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

My Best friend and her husband had the Christmas tree argument years ago. I remember seeing the Christmas tree still standing well into April in her living room!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ha ha ha - well it's not an argument. In fact, I don't have so much to do today or this weekend that I couldn't take it down. I just think it's funny that he said that it should come down on a day certain. As if!!!

Call me superstitious, but I never pick up a Penny I find 'tails up', and I don't know the premise for another superstition I grew up with that it's supposed to be bad luck to leave a Christmas tree up past New Year's Day. Same thing if you don't cook some kind of greens and peas on New Year's Day. Greens are supposed to represent dollars and peas the change you'll have in the coming year. Not wanting to push my luck, I cooked Sea Island Peas and a head of Cabbage for our New Year's Day meal. When I lived at home eons ago we always had a Southern meal of Collards and Black-Eyed Peas my Dad had grown. And can still hear my Mom say, "Watch your pennies, and your dollars will add up." I recently subscribed to our Sunday paper just so I could cash in some of the coupons at the grocery store. My best week so far was a savings of $44 on a $150 order, that included using my loyalty card and also bought several items that were store brands. Not too shabby! We've been using the leftover paper to start fires in our wood stove.

Several years ago in February I flew to Texas to make the rounds between my two SIL's. One I don't see as often as I'd like to, and was shocked her tree was still up, bare of lights and decorations. It was weird seeing a 10' artificial tree in her great room. Turns out, it's her hubby's responsibility to put their tree up each year and take it down. All I could think of sitting on their sofa was he'd apparently misplaced his ladder...lol

I HATE Stink Bugs. They're sucking on my houseplants faster than I can plug in the vacuum cleaner.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Sooz - can't remember if there was a verse that spoke to the flip side, but find a penny head's up pick it up all day long have good luck.

These days tho', beggars can't be choosers, and I follow your mom's advice to watch my pennies. I still pick them up no matter what side is showing. :D

Night all.

A.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Taking advantage of a quiet day here to get some cards together for my Operation Write Home Project. Hopefully this week will be better than last as far as dust and noise and amount of people traipsing around here. I so need a break.

Sooz the stink bugs weren't too bad here so far until they started leaving the front door open during all this construction. This morning I noticed quite a few on my plants too.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I read that the postal rates are going up in a week or two so don't forget to purchase your "forever" stamps before it happens! ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.