Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Birthday Club January 2012 Let's Get The Ball Rolling

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 127, Views: 777
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #8949931

After much consideration I have decided to go ahead and change the way the Birthday Club works. I think in deference to the economic times we are in I am going to change this from a gifting kind of thing to CARDS ONLY. This change will go into effect starting in January 2012. I think that is the most fair way to do it so that the people at the end of this year who have played along nicely all year will still get their gifts from everyone.

So everyone that has a birthday starting in January will get a card from each of us in the birthday club sometime the month of their birthday. It is really a lot of fun to get snail mail these days anyway since we all live in such an electronic world. If you are so inclined to want to include a pack of seeds or something flat in with the card that is strictly up to you and should not in anyway be expected by the birthday girl.

I am hoping that this will encourage some of the people that have left us and some that would like to join, but are unemployed, to jump in and make this grow. Just think about getting 10 or 20 or 30 cards in your birthday month! So spread the word far and wide and lets see if we can make some new friends and have a sort of old fashioned pen pal arrangement.

We still want to chat and joke and know what is going on in everyone's life just like before, but at least this should remove the financial burden for a lot of people. Organized people can even get all their cards at the beginning of the year and get them all set up to go during those slow winter months.

Thanks a bunch to all of you for hanging in there and trying to make this work. I don't want it to go by the wayside. I have left the likes and dislikes lists attached for any new members that come on board as well as us old folks to look at so that we can send that extra special card. Everyone has special interests and we should remind ourselves of them now and then.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8142063
Irisluvr0252 (Debbie) Feb. 25
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8057458
Goldhillal (Crystal) March 21
Carolyn22 (Carolyn) April 3
AmandaEsq (Amanda) April 6
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7958412
Crit (Patti) May 10
Mud_Elf (Kris) May 10
taters55 (LK) June 13
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8039522
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7896427
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886786
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8242576
Cville_Gardener (Carole) Nov. 30 Effective on 1/2012
Dahtzu (Faye) December 25
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8005430

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 12:02 PM

This message was edited Jan 13, 2012 7:53 AM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #8949947

:-) Waving and checking in here.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #8950055

Got my calender all marked in red for my Birthday girls. Got to do another for relatives...
Can we, May we make cards too???
Happy New year everyone.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #8950217

Happy New Year everyone. Here's to great gardening year in 2012!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #8950219

Happy New Year to all you great Bday ladies. It's January but it's still my Birthday. Thank you so much Michelle for the beautiful Tulips. They will sit in my kitchen window reminding me that Spring is on the way. Love the card too.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #8950411

Love that card Faye. Michelle you are really doing well with those flowers. I really like them!

Yes of course you can make a card Char. I just ask that everyone do something nice if you are going to make cards. Make them personal for the birthday person.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #8951094

I wouldn't be mean to anyone for anything. I love all of you.
They won't be fancy just something from me to you (each person)
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #8951753

I'm here.. in the corner.. got some kind of stomach bug, so don't want to give it to anyone! I owe 2 birthday presents to Faye and Twyla..they'll go out this week, if I make it out of the house. I'm glad I don't get sick often! :(

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #8951961

Feel better soon Chris. My carpenter that is working here had that same thing for the better part of a week. I felt so bad for him. Told him to stay home though, because that is the last thing I needed.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #8952534

Checking in here from the pond... it is cooooooooooooold this morning.

HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL!!!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #8952699

Elfie!!!! So glad to hear from you.. Hope it was a good holiday down your way.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #8952903

Sorry to be gone so long. We have been busy here what with Ralph's Father passing away.

The kids were here for 10 days and it was crowded and wet and cold, so we played lots of computer movies and games. They are home now and I am recuperating,,lol

Then I lost the thread,, so was not finding you all. But I am here now and Ralph bought me a roll of stamps for Christmas and a ton of Birthday cards, so I am set for this year. I will just need to personalize them for each person.

Huggs to all!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #8953520

Evening Girlfriends!

Feel better soon, Chris. *knock on wood* I rarely get sick either. Take it easy. If you didn't live so darn far away I'd bring you a bowl of chicken stew. Made a huge pot last week and have several pints in the freezer.

It's been a rough time for you and Ralphie here at the Holidays, Elfie, and I think about ya'll every day. Glad you had the kids but geez that's a long time to be cramped up. Was Santa good to them?

Been thinking about making some cards too, Char, using pics I've saved from my gardens. Time will tell how that goes. Just when I stocked up on ink cartridges I think my printer is going on the fritz either on its own or Max has helped by stuffing his paws it too many times. His bed is right in front of my printer. When I print...he pounces...lol...and also loves to lay with his legs resting on the paper tray. Crazy cat.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #8953527

in w/ both feet despite computr probs and now plumbing/flooding in the basement.

hi kris! sorry to hear about ralph's daddy.

hope everyone has warm noses and toeses tonight!

xox

A.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
2:38 AM

Post #8953859

I'm still in for the cards. Don't know if I'll make any cards, but who knows. Miracles do happen. :)

Won't be long until Spring. Yippee...

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #8953907

Glad to see folks are finding us. Bring your friends. Just think about how fun it is to get snail mail. Remember that feeling you used to get when the mailman came and there was a letter just for you? How cool was that?? That's what I'm hoping to rekindle in everyone. So let's all try to just keep it at cards and not end up with boxes of stuff that cost a lot of postage.

Interesting day yesterday and I hope it won't be repeated today. Be very glad when this kitchen is torn out and the demo crew leaves.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #8953922

Yes, the days of snail mail are slowly fading away. I used to have pen pals as a child and it was always such fun to get letters and cards. I must say I only get a few cards now and then these days, but perhaps that's because I quit sending as many myself. Maybe this will spur me on to renew that practice in some measure.

Hang in there with the remodeling ... it will all be worth it in the end. But what an irritation and annoyance to have workmen in the house. Ugh. I hate that part of it. Not to mention dirty and dusty. I'm still getting rid of dust from the remodel here ... and that was only a half-bath. :(

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #8954046

How funny ... I have the same name as Fruity and Neener ... OCD. My main thing is I can't stand to see pictures that are crooked!!!!! It makes me nuts. Also have to close doors and drawers behind me, and turn out lights when I leave the room!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #8954251

I have some calenders but durn if I remember who to send them too. So aggravated. So if you want a couple of donkey calenders, let me know, please...

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #8954260

Well, duh, I just noticed that you put the birthdays in the order they come up. Thank you!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #8954736

Don't you just love late Christmas presents, like the email I received from DirecTV announcing our service is going up 4% in February and heard on the news today our electric bill will reflect an approved SCC rate high of 10% in March. At least that bill won't be so bad til we have to crank up the A/C.

Hang in there, Neener. It'll all be worth the mess in the end.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #8954995

Michelle, trying to post this once more i type them out to not go goes to gooofy page not even on Daves, i love the socks need them this colddd house and hoping tea will make me sleepy so can get some decent sleep hours in.. thanks so much sure enjoyed getting B. boxes.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #8955894

Dear God - I read this on a different chat thread:

taters55 wrote:Ladies, I have a prayer request please? Some of you may know Faye/dahtzu. She posted this on another thread...

My Ray needs your prayers. Today we were told that he has cancer again. 3 Yrs ago he lost a kidney to cancer and now the cancer has come again in his back. Ray will have surgery next Fri. the 13th. Dr. said it would be wide and deep because will be cutting out muscle. My heart is breaking, I love him dearly.
Faye

I don't see anything here, and I know that Faye is a part of this group. Faye and Ray are two of the sweetest people I have ever met, and it pains me to know they are suffering. :/

A.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #8955922

Faye

Please know both you and Ray are in my thoughts and prayers.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #8955936

Large prayers being sent up for Faye & Ray!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for letting us know A.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #8955953

How Sad... Prayers for Ray and Faye here also.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #8955989

Hey Charleen... haven't seen you around for a while. I was just thinking about you today, was going to try and find you and here you are!!!!! :-)

I have a swap going on if anyone is interested. It is a Sock, Sniff and Sip swap. Signups until 8:00 a.m. January 10th. Mailout by January 31st.

Here is the link if you are interested: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235927/

Patti
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #8956047

Hearing the news about Ray made me numb, Manda.

Faye, when you have a chance to check in, please keep us posted with his progress. You and Ray are two of the dearest, finest special folks I've ever had an opportunity to meet. Know that I'm holding both of you close to my heart and I love you both.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #8956163

I know Froot. It had been a teary day for me. I heard from an old friend of my mother's and her letter made me cry. But I had some happy tears because Neener dear dropped something sweet in my mailbox too.

Faye - it may be time for me to drive on down to set a spell with you and Ray. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do. I will gladly come to hold your hand and wait with you for Ray to come thru on the other side with flying colors.

You are like family and hearing that you are hurting pains me in a way I haven't felt since I was orphaned. You are both in my heart, and I pray that Ray's faith is rewarded with successful surgery and recovery.

Loveyou.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #8956216

You couldn't have summed up my feelings any better, Manda.

I talked to my girlfriend 'down the road' this morning. Living 12 miles apart is still close 'as the crow flies' when you live in the country, and we both do. She's been cooped up with a cold and haven't seen her since we exchanged Christmas gifts. But how excited she was on the phone this morning telling me all about the photos of her little dog that were taken by a professional pet photographer two years ago was priceless. It couldn't have been better timing for her or a more uplifting surprise.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2012
1:17 AM

Post #8956313

:-(...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #8956434

Oh dear God.. I haven't been on all day yesterday because of the mess here. Reading about Ray has put it all in perspective. He is the one of the dearest people I have ever met. I can't even imagine what this is going to be like for them. Where's that darn transporter when I need it most. This is not how I wanted to start my day. Have to call my Mom.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #8957503

We love you Faye and only wish Ray will have a speedy recovery.

After I finished packing more boxes to donate to Goodwill, I just had to go outside this afternoon to talk a walk and soak up the warm rays. 60 degrees in January is unheard of. Although I remember several years ago hubby and I went golfing on New Year's Day and it was a balmy 70 degrees.

My Swan Island catalog came yesterday. I only ordered it because hubby wants our old canna garden at the side of our garage filled with Dahlias this year. Yeah right. I handed him the catalog before I ever opened it so he could get a sense of sticker shock. I made a list according to height and how many we'd need to fill in that garden...what a pipe dream and think maybe ordering a collection or two might be a better deal. I'd be happy to fill that area with Sunflowers and other tall annuals that self-sow and wouldn't have to dig and store expensive tubers.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #8958024

When is Ronnie going to get out there and start digging on his hands and knees? Like Court with the Christmas tree who said that it should come down on January 6. I put it up. When do you think the tree is going to come down?!

:P
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #8958030

My Best friend and her husband had the Christmas tree argument years ago. I remember seeing the Christmas tree still standing well into April in her living room!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #8958032

Ha ha ha - well it's not an argument. In fact, I don't have so much to do today or this weekend that I couldn't take it down. I just think it's funny that he said that it should come down on a day certain. As if!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #8958692

Call me superstitious, but I never pick up a Penny I find 'tails up', and I don't know the premise for another superstition I grew up with that it's supposed to be bad luck to leave a Christmas tree up past New Year's Day. Same thing if you don't cook some kind of greens and peas on New Year's Day. Greens are supposed to represent dollars and peas the change you'll have in the coming year. Not wanting to push my luck, I cooked Sea Island Peas and a head of Cabbage for our New Year's Day meal. When I lived at home eons ago we always had a Southern meal of Collards and Black-Eyed Peas my Dad had grown. And can still hear my Mom say, "Watch your pennies, and your dollars will add up." I recently subscribed to our Sunday paper just so I could cash in some of the coupons at the grocery store. My best week so far was a savings of $44 on a $150 order, that included using my loyalty card and also bought several items that were store brands. Not too shabby! We've been using the leftover paper to start fires in our wood stove.

Several years ago in February I flew to Texas to make the rounds between my two SIL's. One I don't see as often as I'd like to, and was shocked her tree was still up, bare of lights and decorations. It was weird seeing a 10' artificial tree in her great room. Turns out, it's her hubby's responsibility to put their tree up each year and take it down. All I could think of sitting on their sofa was he'd apparently misplaced his ladder...lol

I HATE Stink Bugs. They're sucking on my houseplants faster than I can plug in the vacuum cleaner.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #8958827

Sooz - can't remember if there was a verse that spoke to the flip side, but find a penny head's up pick it up all day long have good luck.

These days tho', beggars can't be choosers, and I follow your mom's advice to watch my pennies. I still pick them up no matter what side is showing. :D

Night all.

A.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #8959237

Taking advantage of a quiet day here to get some cards together for my Operation Write Home Project. Hopefully this week will be better than last as far as dust and noise and amount of people traipsing around here. I so need a break.

Sooz the stink bugs weren't too bad here so far until they started leaving the front door open during all this construction. This morning I noticed quite a few on my plants too.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #8959860

I read that the postal rates are going up in a week or two so don't forget to purchase your "forever" stamps before it happens! ;)

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #8959961

First thing hubby does every morning when he lets Mickey and the cats out is prop the back door open to our garage and it stays that way as long as temps are mild enough like they have been lately and think stink bugs might be hitching a ride in. Either that or they're literally coming out of the woodwork since they're more active when there's heat and we usually have a fire going at night. My SIL commented about seeing them when she was here last month. Since she hasn't seen them in TX, I mentioned she should check her bags before leaving. In one of our swaps last year, I mailed plants to Missy Clan and she set free a VA stink bug in IO.

Remember that, Chris? I hope you're on the mend, Girlie.

That's a good tip, Manda. I try to keep my MIL stocked up with 'forever' stamps since she pays her bills the old fashioned way. There was an ad on TV last month about 'forever' Christmas stamps. I didn't send Christmas cards last year, not even e-cards which was pretty lame on my part but just wasn't in a very festive mood. Some years are like that and others I go gung ho.

I need ideas for a Winter-themed wreath for our front door and have both straw and wire forms to make one and also have lots of ribbons. Fresh evergreen cuttings would eventually dry out and make a mess and my stash of silk / artificial flowers and accents have dwindled.

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #8960978

I survived.. hate stomach bugs- well, almost as much as sore throats..I'm such a baby!

yes, I do remember that Fruity lol.. I took such glee in teasing you about sending me your bugs!

I'm in shock about Faye and Ray :( What a sweetheart he is! My granddaughter Raven really took a liking to them..in fact, she asked me last week if I was going to VA again this summer cause she wants to come again and see everyone..
Ray will definitely have a ton of prayer warriors looking out for him .. wish i lived closer too!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #8961048

Faye called this afternoon to thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers for her and Ray and also wanted us to know why she hasn't posted the past several days. Ray went in the hospital last Friday suffering from a kidney stone in the only kidney he has and only functions at 30%. She was at the hospital with him, getting ready to take him home. This Friday they will go back to the hospital for his cancer surgery. Faye sounded as upbeat as possible considering the tremendous stress she's under. She sends love and hugs.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #8961101

Thanks for the update Sooz. Glad to know they are doing OK. I sent a card to Ray over the weekend to give him a laugh. I think I'll do that like I did for my Dad and send him a funny now and again.

Painter just left and the electrician is packing up for the day. Good news is I have an office again even if it does have a big refrigerator in it for now.

Snowed like crazy here today off and on.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #8961199

Thanks for the update, Fruity, Faye is such a great person. I sent her something that will hopefully make her and Ray smile. We are praying for them.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #8961304

Praying for Ray and Faye healing , comforting prayers..

Joy ,recieved your birthday box today thanKS SO very much and I'm very very glad to get the homemade Jam, and apple butter . we don't buy things like that so I'm thruilled to get them Love the windchime, and yes cards will be so handy.. will get your out in about 4 or 5 days dr.'s have me so tired and not able to do much.. then taking care husb. has me super tirede..

Everyone many blessings have a great week.. birthdays are so nice.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #8961496

Hi, all.
Faye and Twyla, glad you both received your boxes :)
Faye, will be praying for both you and Ray.
Joy, your card may be a little late... been fighting one of those colds that are going around. Good news is that I've gotten through the worst of it, and have gotten to read a bunch of books in the meantime!
Anyway, must go for now. Take care all!
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #8961631

Bright sunny day here. That's athe best I can say about today so far. Can't stop thinking about Ray and Faye. When do bad things stop happening to good people. Enough.

Gee I hope I can find your card Joy. I think it is under something on my desk. Hope to get my office cleaned up by close of business today.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #8961886

Hey Michelle, hope that cold gets better. I have your box sitting here waiting for something I thought would be nice to get you but I don't know if it will ever get here!
Ahhh, Neener, you disorganized? Never happen. Tell you how special my b'day is, Dave left this morning for Dallas, his birthday is tomorrow, Evan's is Saturday and mine Sunday, and he won't be home till Monday. VBG. Going to make Evan a cake or pie and take it to the college for him. I know, maybe a dozen of those helium balloons. I can drop it off at the front desk while he is at work! Oh yeah, he will hate me! LOL This is his 21st.

Joy
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #8961913

I'm lovin' your birthday so much because it means you are a year older than me soon. :0)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #8961938

Pbbbbbbbbttttttttttttth!!!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #8962379

Just stopping in,,, So sorry to hear about Ray. He is a true Gentleman. I meat him last year at the VA RU and love him. Never stopped smiling. Ralph will be sad to hear the news about the cancer too. I know I have not been around much lately and will try to get better at popping in. We are moving at the end of the month and my idiot brother is moving in to the RV on the pond...long story...

Anyway,, huggs to all and best wishes to Ray.

Elfie

Also I have a new phone # if anyone needs it please d-mail me for it..
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #8962625

Hi, all.
Little closer to being all better, but still not quite there...
Neener, bet that card for Joy is "in a safe place" where you won't lose it :) Hope you find it soon!
Joy, ooooh, another birthday present :) I'll hope that that last item arrives to you soon! :) It's looking like I'll be getting your card out some time next week. Will let you know when it gets mailed. Have fun making that cake or pie for Evan :) Bet he'll enjoy it!
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #8963083

Found it!!! Hee Hee Hee.. Was right where I put it. Ha HA. Off to the mailbox I go. Hi Ho Hi Ho..
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #8963956

:)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #8963977

Faye called this evening and said be sure to tell you, Joy, that she received a most beautiful, thoughtful B-Day box from you, and how it made her day. She mentioned posting pics when she gets a chance, but I'm sure you'll understand that's the last thing she needs to take care of.

What follows breaks my heart and is among the saddest news I've ever had to relay in my life.

Ray wasn't able to go home Monday, and Faye has been by his side at the hospital since last Friday. She's exhausted getting home around 11 PM, falls into bed, and gets up one more day to be with him. There's no easy way to say this, Ladies. Ray has congestive heart failure and a Cardiologist is monitoring his heart; a Nephrologist is monitoring Raye's only kidney; and a Pulmonologist has been called in to monitor Ray's shortness of breath. Since he's so very ill and weak, another surgery Friday is doubtful.

Those of you who haven't had an opportunity to meet Faye and Ray, they are truly soul mates who have a rare, deep, abiding love for each other, and a strong faith. Please keep them in you thoughts and pray as hard as you ever have for Ray.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2012 8:20 PM

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #8964331

Oh my Fruity, I was hoping that Faye could share some of the box with Ray, that he would be better. My heart goes out to her, I keep her and Ray in my prayers.

Joy

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #8964431

My mother had congestive heart failure. I don't know them but I am praying for Faye and Ray. :(...

I hope you got my card, Joy, it should have been there awhile ago ... but last time I sent something to TX, it took a week to arrive there.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #8964438

Oh geez Sooz that is the worst news ever. I can't tell my Mom. She was so upset the other day when I told her about the surgery. I can't bear to think about where this is going. I am so glad we all had that time at the cabin in November. Keep me posted.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 12, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #8964485

Could I get in on this card swap? Sounds fun. My birthday is March 21
What do I do about sending my address and getting other's addys?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #8964611

Oh -sigh-

I hadn't gotten that news Susan.

I think I am going to blow down there for a visit.

To make matters "worse" on this end I obtained another dog last night - yes I am the crzy dog lady on the block but I think this one is a keeper.

More later as I try to plan my road trip.

A.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #8964717

Oh my A. he is such a sweetie. A keeper for sure. Been thinking the same thing about going to see Ray. Don't know what the right thing to do is.

Crystal? right? Yes you can get in on this. The more the merrier. I'll add you to the list and you can get started with Joy who is only a few days away.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #8964941

Amanda,, if you go to see Ray and Faye please give them a huge hug for me. And please tell Faye I am thinking of both of them. Wish I could blow up that way too...sigh..

I need to work on my cards before the move. We are staying at the pond, just in a bigger place and off the pond a few hundred feet. I am having huge problems with my back and it is getting worse. I think I may have to just do tiny gardens for now on,,,
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #8965334

Hi, all.
Crystal, welcome! Glad you can join us :) Most everyone's addresses are in the address exchange, but if someone's isn't, you can get it from rvnsbrk (Neener). I look forward to getting to know you better :)
Continuing to keep Faye and Ray in my prayers...
Take care, everyone, and stay safe! I hear parts of the country have snow on its way.
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #8965449

Welcome to our fun zany group, Crystal.

Got a text message from Faye tonight...No surgery for Ray tomorrow.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #8965539

Hey Neener, add my name to the list please?

My Birthday is 13 June.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #8965770

Gotcha LK. Did I miss that before?? I'm losing it right now. :0)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #8965772

I love it!!! We are filling up the months that don't have anyone in them!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #8965873

No, you did not miss it before, Kris told me to get my butt over here!!! :-)

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #8966142

LOL

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #8966156

That's good! I was thinking the other day that you should join, but didn't get around to asking.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #8966167

Just called Faye to ask about coming down. She said they changed their mind about Ray and are taking him in to surgery this afternoon.

Please send healing prayers. He and Faye are the sweetest couple I have ever met. They are in my prayers, and I hope to head in that direction tomorrow morning to visit.

A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #8966517

Got a text from Faye around 4:30 that Ray's surgery was over and he did well.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #8966662

Hi, all.
LK, welcome! Good to have you join us :)
Glad to hear Ray came through the surgery well. Will continue praying for him and Faye. Amanda, if you go for a visit, please let Faye and Ray know we're thinking of and praying for them. And travel safe...
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #8966716

Give Faye a big hug and a smooch for me, Manda, and Ray too if he's up to it.

My SIL is a June Bug, LK, and my Dad was too. 'Bout time you got your butt in here...lol Good job, Elfie.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #8967121

Just talked to Faye. Everything is terrific! Ray is up walking around and breathing without oxygen. He may be going home this afternoon. Faye sounded good and was her bubbly self. Yippee!!! Best news I've had all year.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #8967147

Thanks for the great update! Praise God!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #8967250

Wonderful news!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #8967651

Great news!!!! Carole, I just found your card! I ahve been receiving entries for a stock dog trial and Dave ever so sweetly has been stacking them on the island for me. Well I was going through them yesterday and saw a thick envelope from you. He thought it was folded up entries.

OMG, I am still laughing, I have never been compared to lettuce before. It is one of the talking cards with the two rats/cats/dogs or whatever they are complimenting me on how well preserved I am.

Fruity I got yours as well, thanks!

Joy
The dichotomy of where I live, my laundry load had shorts, sleeveless shirt, sweatpants, my hoodie, and my insulated overalls, all in one week! Oh, and Wal Mart had their display of bikinis parked right next to the heavy coats. They even had Speedos out!!!!!! The one in front was an XXXL. You don't wanna know...I'm just sayin'

Joy
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #8967655

Too funny Joy. That's the way it's been here. It was in the 50's earlier this week, and now it is blowing cold and feels like 15 with the wind chill.

XXXL Speedo? Lordy that's a visual I didn't need. Probably have nightmares tonight. :00

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #8967768

O What Fun!

I got to the hospital and Ray was sitting up in a chair and Faye was sprawled out on his bed, waiting for discharge papers. :D

I got to go home with them and visited with their 2 little dogs (Snoopy was beside herself with joy) and Faye's 2 sisters. Ray's a walking miracle. He and Faye will stay in my prayers. I tried to convey everybody's messages, hugs and kisses. I think I prolly owe Ray another 2 dozen hugs, but I could deliver them next time.

A.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
12:51 AM

Post #8968198

I'm so glad to hear that, Joy. I thought maybe my first card was already lost in the mail. LOL.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #8968208

Hi, all.
Oh, that's great news about Ray :)
Joy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :) Hope you have a wonderful birthday!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #8968322

Happy Birthday Joy! Hope you have a great day!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #8968391

Happy Birthday my dear OLDER sister Joy. :0) Make the most of your day. Kill a wild boar or something. Maybe birth a few goats. Whatever, you are truly a remarkable woman!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #8968399

Happy Birthday Joy. Have a wonderful day.

Here is a dahlia picture for you - I know how much you love dahlias.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #8968474

Here's another. Happy day, Joy!

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #8968612

an orchid for a true flower.
Happy Birthday Joy...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #8968656

Happy Birthday Joy!!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #8968953

I'm thrilled for Faye and Ray. Hearing the good news made my day and know it did yours too.

Happy Birthday, Joy! And Evan and Dave too :)

We woke up to a little surprise snow this morning. First we've had and the critters were not happy campers.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #8968963

Happy, Happy Birthday Joy. I hope your day was so special for you.
Wow, your Birthday and I'm taking it to thank you for the wonderful birthday box you sent to me. Joy you have to be a very smart woman to make so many good things. I love and appreciate everything. Getting that box was so good for me. Thank you more than I can say.
Ladies, Joy sent to me:
Card
Friendship Tea
Blueberry Jam
Carmel Apple Butter (she made)
Red Wine Fig Jam (she made)
Oatmeal Goats-milk soap (she made)
Note cards
I'm so glad that I can finally come back here. Ray is home and you would never know he was sick from looking at him. He hasn't had a pain pill today, that alone is a miracle. The man has a deep hole (all way through to his ribs) and is not in pain. Thank you all for your prayers, I do know that is what saved Ray for me. God is good.
Love & hugs to each of you
Faye

This message was edited Jan 15, 2012 6:39 PM

Thumbnail by dahtzu

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #8968985

Amen, Faye. ♥♥

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #8969000

What a wonderful box of goodies you got from Joy!
Hope you had a good Birthday!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #8969125

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Well I didn't go after any boars, or make anything spectacular, just went to a sheepdog trial nearby and worked all day with three of my bestest dogs. Even took baby Jam to the post and ran him for the very first time. His b'day was the 9th, and he will be my next superstar.
OMG, I am drooling over the dahlias girls, I love them so much and envy y'all. And love the orchid Charlie. Elfie, the cat is a scream.
Faye, I am so glad Ray is home, we are all thrilled for you. I did make the tea and the blueberry jam as well. I am glad you liked the box.
I am lounging around in my comfy sweats, watching reruns, and pretending not to be any older. We will go out Friday night to a neat little restaurant where the owner/chef is French and worked for 10 years at the Four Seasons in NYC. He is only open 2 nights a week. Can't wait!

Thanks to everyone for the b'day wishes.
Here is Jammin next to LIte, patiently waiting and watching.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #8969445

Beautiful dogs. What a joy they must be, Joy. :-)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #8970815

Joy - sounds like a great day. I'm glad and forgive me my belated wishes!

I did a lot of driving this weekend. Yesterday went to see Court's momma who lives in SW Virginia. All I did today was lay around and try to nap. It was somehow easier to sleep with the big puppy on my head than it is trying to sleep with the cats. Too bad (?!) Court takes him to his bed as I am stuck with the cats in mine. I have been sleeping on the love-seat since the pup got here because I've given up my bedroom to the cats. -sigh-crazy town. Mom's cat is crippled and needs a comfy place to hide.

I do have a cozy sleeping bag. :D

Love you ladies. (and lurking gentlemen). As Ray is "one of the girls" in my book he's included, but either way we are so blessed to have him as a friend. A smiler face I haven't seen in many years.

xox
A.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2012
1:51 AM

Post #8970863

Hi, all.
Joy, sounds like you got to spend your birthday doing something you enjoy. That does make for a nice birthday :) And that dinner this coming Friday sounds like it ought to be delicious!
Welcome back, Faye. That's great that Ray is feeling so much better :) Praise God!
Oh, and Faye, your birthday box of goodies from Joy sounds wonderful!
Better go for now. Take care, everyone, and have a great day!
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #8970936

Happy Tuesday Folks!

Raining like crazy and I'm just glad it isn't snow. Don't forget to get your cards in the the mail for our birthday girl if you haven't already. Sorry to be such an absentee hostess right now, but it's a little nutso around here at the moment. Took my Mom out yesterday for a little recreation and by the time we got home last night there was a lot to take in. Most of it not what was planned, so I guess that proves that I need to stick close to home till this construction job is finished. Being men they obviously don't work well without direction and constant correction. :0) It's gonna be a long day today...
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 17, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #8970939

I feel your pain, Neener! So glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #8970947

Figured you'd understand Paula. I just want them to finish one project before they start something else. 2 floors of my house are torn up and it is really starting to get on my nerves. They did the tile floor last week, and now I have these big height differences everywhere. I asked them yesterday to please do the transitions before I fall and kill myself. Of course they didn't. They will today...or else.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #8971029

Good morning girls! Glad you didn't have an "eventful" birthday like your boar story. NOT bore... lol ... boar. I still laugh when I think about that. Mental pics and everything. Your card is going in the mail today. Faye and Hope ... I will get yours out too. I need to mark everyone on my calendar. I have one in my bedroom that I look at everyday. Still doesn't mean I'll get them out on time, but at least I won't forget. :-)

Have a great day everyone. Neener ... breathe in, breathe out ...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #8971299

Ha ha - Neener I should drag Court over here to read your post about "being men of course . . .." :D

He was on my nerves this weekend with the pup. Good God, after 3 of my own dogs raised and Max lived to almost 15, Snoopy now 9+, you'd think I knew how to raise a dog, but nooooo. How or why we would find a way to fight about it, well not fight really, but you know what I mean. I just have to keep biting my lip and holding my breath and waiting for the irritability to pass. The smile on his face while he's playing with the pup can't be replicated. If Court's happy, "everybody's" happy. :)

A.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #8971329

I'm hearin' ya A. :)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #8971368

Hello all, Ray is feeling the pain now where the muscles were cut. He is so good, but wish he would level with me about his pain.
Nita do hope your house will soon be your home again. Hang in there, it will be worth the aggravation after its all done. Nita, do you know what happened to rainy_jane and mrsjamiep? The last records I have are posted on Nov. 9, 2009. They both were very sick and in terrible pain. Sure would like to locate them.
Love to all, Faye
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #8971575

Oh Faye ... you are so sweet to worry about other people when you have your own dear Ray to care for. I am keeping him in my prayers...and you too!!!!!

Speaking of missing people. Has anyone ever seen or heard from merrymath (Mary) from PA. Last I knew she was going to visit her daughter last year and there was a bad storm (can't remember which one now. Suffering from CRS) and that was the last I heard about her. I've had her b'day box setting here waiting on her to get home and finally opened it and put everything back yesterday.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #8971678

Faye I have no idea what happened to those two. Fruity and I often wonder as well. Sorry that Ray is feeling it now, but that is to be expected.
Patti, I don't know about Mary either. I think at one time I tried to contact her with no luck. Hopefully you can use the goodies in her box for another swap.

So glad we are doing the card thing. I'm hoping that it will make it so much easier and that we can keep getting new members.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #8971826

Thanks, blessings everyone
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #8975707

Hi everyone! I can't believe all the things going on while I've been off of here. Faye, I am SO thankful and happy that Ray is doing so well..I pray the pain eases soon for him. Give him a very gentle hug for me :)

Neener, I hope your remodeling is going well and "those men" behave themselves! Tell them we can get a mob of mad mommas together in a hurry if they don't :-)

Amanda..adorable dog! I can't wait to be able to have one of my own.. although I'm not sure how to convince Miss Sarah that it's ok to have someone else in HER home!

Joy- always love seeing pics of your beautiful dogs..bring them up North for a show and I'll meet you there lol :)

Kris, I hope this move is what you want..if you have my number, call me sometime.. but not after 8pm CST LOL!! (see below)

Ok.. as for me.. Still working a ton of overtime, 8 hours a week is mandatory but I'm doing 10-15 instead. I'm in bed by 8pm when I can convince myself. I keep remembering as a little girl, being so upset cause my bedtime was 9pm and IT WASN'T FAIR that my older brothers could stay up till 10! I feel like I've regressed :)
I've decided to buy a home and get away from apartment living, so I've been looking at homes here in the Des Moines area.. I really want a small ranch style home with a fenced yard (dog, ya know?? lol) So far, I haven't had any luck and I'm about to switch real estate agents as I feel like this one I'm using just really isn't into finding me a place.. we'll see!
My son has talked me into going to Cozumel with his family in mid March, so I've been getting stuff ready to get a passport as I've never had one before. The only international travel I've done was with the military and they don't require those lol! I'm very excited about going there for the first time.. can't wait!
My son in law was in the hospital for a week- major depression, we were going to have him committed as we were scared that he would kill himself.. wow..Life has been just one hard thing after another for him and my daughter. They could never get a breather and it finally caved in on him. He's one of those big, silent types who bottle everything up :( But he's on meds now and home and seems to be doing ok. But because of this, I've been helping them financially and will for a while yet.

let's see.. I think that's the most of it LOL..I'm ready for that beach time, let me tell you!!

OH.. welcome to the new people on the birthday club! And I owe a few people birthday stuff!! I get caught up and then backslide.. but I will catch up again!! LOL

Going to go look at homes online.. take care..big hugs to everyone

Here's a pic I took last month from my balcony.. I was so shocked to see him over my pond!! He's got his head turned, watching the crow behind him :)

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #8975724

Hi, all.
I received a birthday box yesterday from Joy. Along with a nice card, Joy also sent:
Friendship Tea
Carmel Apple Butter
Avon Naturals "Strawberry and Guava" Body Lotion
and a scented angels glass candle (this is a glass votive-sized candle holder with 2 tactile angels and a poured candle inside).
Everything smells wonderful! Looking forward to trying the tea and the apple butter. Think I'll try using some of the body lotion on my hands tonight. The design on the candle holder is really neat because I can feel all the different parts of the angels. And the candle inside smells very nice, too, though I can't quite decide what scent it is (label just says "scented").
I think my husband took pics of everything this morning, so once he sends me the links to the pics, I'll post them so you all can see what Joy sent.
Thank you, Joy! Oh, and if you have instructions for how much tea to use per cup of water, that would be much appreciated :) Looking forward to trying it :)
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #8975738

Hi, Chris!
Good to hear from you!
That trip sounds exciting... Should be quite an adventure :)
And I wish you the best as you look for a home... Hope you find just the perfect one, soon :)
I'll keep your daughter and son-in-law's family in my prayers. Glad to hear things seem to be going better for them.
Michelle

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #8975756

Michelle, I wondered why I had a copy of the recipe out, it must not have made the box, so sorry.
You use 2 to 3 teaspoons per mug of hot water, or you can mix it with cool water in the summer.

Thought I would give a shout out to my peeps that gave me cards for my birthday. Carolyn, I am so excited about the Dahlia seeds!!!!! Doing my little happy dance. In fact I am going to plant them this weekend in some starter pots. And the pressed flower card (the front has a pressed violet(?)) is beautiful.
Goldhillal/Crystal, thanks for the wonderful card. The front is so inspiring: Walk in the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
Neener, the blue bottle is out on the tree with the other bottles from wellwishers, keeping the evil spirits out. Thanks so much.
I received all of these on Tuesday, but have been busy and forgot to post them.

Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8975869

Hi, Joy.
Take two... My wifi had a little fit, so I lost my first message...
Thanks for the directions :) Originally said I'd have to try some of the tea this afternoon, but now I'll edit that to say that I have tried some of the tea :) Yum! And it smells great, too!
Sounds like you received some neat cards :) You'll have to let us know how those dahlia seeds do. I found some last year and thought of trying some, but didn't because I had just purchased some dahlia tubers. Perhaps I'll try growing some from seed one of these days.
Also, your card (plus a little something extra) should be making its way to the post office some time next week :)
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #8975936

Good Evening, Friends.

My old computer has had the hiccups tonight, Michelle, had to reboot several times, and know what you mean about losing your connection. What would we do if we couldn't keep in touch with each other? I for one, would be lost.

With our depressed economy, I'm sure you'll find a house you like, Chris, that fits you and your wants and needs. According to the real estate records of recent properties sold in our area, the values are just starting to turn the corner upwards. Our County real estate values were assessed 10% down last year, which isn't good for owners, especially those looking to sell, but it is good news for buyers. If you don't like the job your Agent is doing, there's a hungry one right behind him / her. I'm so happy for you and the prospect you'll have a yard and a garden again soon that you can stretch out in and finally bid adieu to apartment living.

(((HUGS to all, especially to you Faye & Ray)))

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #8976283

Looking for a house is so exciting! There were several real estate sights that had postings here and I would pour over them. I'd find ones that I was interested in, whether it was their listing or not, and my agent (who was also a Sunday School member) would drive me all over God's country to look at them. I am one that when I am house hunting, I know as soon as I walk in the door which house is for me. I bought my last couple of houses that way. As soon as I walked in the house "said" to me ...WELCOME HOME! I'm glad I didn't just settle for one that I like OK, and waited for the house that was waiting for ME. :-)
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #8976313

Thanks everyone for the kind words..it's definitely a stressful process! This is/will be my very first home of my own lol.. I keep thinking "at your age, seriously..you want to do this?"

Patti- that's exactly how I feel about it! I want the one that tells me 'you're mine!' when I go inside. I had one that was close, but something in the back of my mind was saying, no, not quite. So I'm still looking..if I get this agent to move, anyway. She was sick and it's been a week since I've heard from her. I'm not happy about it, cause there were a couple that I really wanted to see the inside of and couldn't. Now I don't even know if they're still on the market :(

Oh well, if it's meant to be, it'll happen! :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #8976479

Here you go!!! It ain't over til it is over...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #8976727

Just checking in...very tired here and not looking toward to the next week or so. Will check in again soon...

Hugs to all.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #8976742

Hang in there Elfie.

Cold as heck here today. We had snow and freezing rain last night and it has never gotten above freezing all day. Going to have a fire in the fireplace so I can cook some dinner without having to go outside to the stove. :0) My pioneering spirit is wearing a little thin, but we are getting there.

Will start a new thread tomorrow. I haven't been on all day, and I need to do a few other things tonight yet.

Hugs to you all,
Neener
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #8977003

Neener, What percentage of your renovation would you say the construction crews have finished? I figured you either had freezing rain or snow from looking at the forecast. At least you aren't knee-deep in snow and the crews can still get up your hill!

You don't sound so good, Elfie. You hang in there too.

Hugs to All

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #8977530

Sooz I'd say we are maybe 75% percent done. Just sent an email to the project manager about tomorrow since I don't think they can get up here. We had just enough ice and snow that hasn't melted that their van with the trailer won't make it. We can with 4WD, but they don't have that. Hoping that the warmer temps and rain that are predicted for tomorrow happen because then it will be OK.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #8978229

Oh I hope so too. I know how anxious you are to have finally have your house back to normal and the reno's finished, and how much you're looking forward to being able to cook in your new kitchen.

I made a big pot of angel hair pasta and a pan of homemade sauce today in anticipation of going to my girlfriend's house tomorrow 'down the road'. Our ex zany mail lady on medical leave is joining us for lunch. Haven't seen her since last Fall when we went to her farm. She raises cows, goats, bunnies, turkeys, and chickens and is bringing fresh eggs. It's gonna be a fun afternoon! When the three of us get together, we affectionately call it a hen party.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #8978347

Hello everyone, It's been another longggggggggggg two days here. Ray got up Sat. morning and couldn't put his weight on his left (good) foot. (The right one had 5 screws put in last year.) Took him to the Dr. She doesn't know what the problem is. The foot is red and swollen, and hurts when touched. The foot now looks like it would explode if a pin touched it. While in Hospital he was told the red place on the top of that foot was Gout, but the Dr. Sat. said she didn't think so. Took blood and we wait for results. The Hospital records showed no blood check for Gout, but they treated the foot as if that was the problem. If it is Gout, it cannot be treated with Prednizone (sp), the usual treatment because of the open wound from back surgery. I felt so sorry for him this morning. He has been so good about all that has happened to him and this morning he was almost crying when he said "honey, what else is going to happen" Ray is so good, it breaks my heart to see him always suffering.
Love & hugs to all
Faye

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #8978380

Faye, make sure he does not have a blood clot.
Sending prayers you you guys!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #8978502

Same here, Faye. :(...

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 23, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #8978750

Faye, Praying for you both.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #8979131

Lots of prayers going up for you and Ray. So sorry all this is happening. Trust in the Lord! Please keep us up on what you find out.

If anyone is interested in participating in the Valentine's Day swap, sign up is until January 31st. Here is the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1238335/#new

I really need to go to town and get stocked up and caught up on my birthday gals. I feel like such a slug that I have not kept up. Please know I have not forgotten you!!!!

Pretty day here today. Is suppose to be up to 60* and the breeze is light from the west. Will have to wait and see if it really does!

Have a great day everyone.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #8979191

Faye it sounds like cellulitis or a blood clot. Keep us posted.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #8979201

New Thread as promised:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1239124/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America