Photo by Melody

Upper Midwest Gardening: First seed order!

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 1, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #8950372

Well, it can't be officially for 2012 since I ordered it yesterday. :) Placed a vegetable seed order with Baker Heirloom with a gift certificate from last Mother's Day. I'm going to try to grow some leaf lettuce and spinach in my little GH since I'd probably kill it outdoors with my inexperience. I have some heat and artificial light so I'd be delighted to actually grow edibles in the GH. Plus it'll keep me out of "wish list" trouble. Anyone else place an order yet? I'm interested to see if there are any new varieties on those shopping lists.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #8986634

I ordered some hosta seeds from a streaked breeding pod parent--they're always fun to grow and see what you get. I got a few nice streaked youngsters last year, and I'm anxious to see what they'll look like out in the garden this year. (Hopefully they're surviving this crappy winter with little snow cover for insulation. I should've laid down some winter mulch.)

I'll probably order coleus soon. I grew some of the Kong coleus last year and they were gorgeous, but I started them too early, which is a mistake I'm trying to avoid this year.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 29, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #8986756

I remember your Kong seed-starting comments. I have a hard time myself holding back on seed-starting. I will probably start my Browallia and herb seeds early though. I've never thought about ordering hosta seeds. It sounds totally fascinating!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #8988316

The seeds from streaked pod parents are SO fun. And they're pretty easy to obtain on eBay.

Seeds from streaked pod parents are the ones that are about 100 times more likely to end up variegated. Otherwise, you really don't know what you're going to get. Hosta seedlings don't come true to the parent, so it's always an interesting experiment. :)
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 30, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #8988486

What does "streaked pod parents" actually mean? The "pod" word has me confused unless you're talking about a hosta seed pod.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #8988932

The pod parent is the hosta that carries the seed, as opposed to the hosta that provides the pollen, so you're actually correct in guessing that it refers to the seed pod.

It's not as complicated as it sounds, really. The "mom" plant has to be a streaked plant to produce a high percentage of streaked/variegated babies, and the "dad" plant can be anything. You can get a variegated hosta from a non-streaked plant, but it's far less likely. (I think ViolaAnn has a pretty variegated seedling that came from a non-streaked parent, which proves that it does happen occasionally.)

The hosta seeds I bought were from 'Ice Age Trail,' which is known to be a good breeding hosta.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2012 11:39 PM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 31, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #8989244

Still seems fascinating to me. I have one plain green Hosta that self-sows baby plain green Hostas but have never thought of propagating seeds though I've seen a couple listings in seed catalogs. I will definitely need to look into this even further.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #8989260

Cindy - Jack does all the seed growing here, downstairs under lights. One year he didn't have the timers set correctly and the lettuce germinated in a day and by day three they were large (to say the least). He finally realized the timer for the lights was the problem and changed it. They were ready to go out at day three!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 31, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #8989280

Wow - that germination on the lettuce is amazing. I'm experimenting with a winter crop of leaf lettuces and spinach in my little GH under lights since it's cooler in there than in the house. Today is the day that I start harvesting. Planted on 1/7 and the leaves are between 3 and 4 inches. I may start a few plants for outdoor growing but don't have a lot of room for veggies yet. Saving the space for a couple of tomatoes, a cucumber and some summer squashes.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #8989310

The lights were on for 24 hours a day, hence the speedy germination!

Gardening with flowers is rewarding in the beauty but with vegetables they are not only beautiful but great to eat.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 31, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #8989552

That's still super-speedy germination. My lights are on for about 17 hours.
I did harvest some lettuce and spinach for a small lunch salad. Not bad but I'll have to get used to the milder flavor of leaf lettuces. I'm used to Romaine. I'm guessing as the plants get a little older that they'll develop a little more flavor. It was fun though to harvest, plop into ice water for a bit and then eat it. Can't get much fresher than that.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9369101

I have most of mine , now if I can get everything in the garden , and easy way to water this spring in a few months ,I will feel like I have it all!!
Trying some lemon and blonde cukes, lots of warm weather, lettuce, onion, and sprouts first , Say hi when you get your ideal plants and seeds for yours, talk later
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

December 28, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9369292

I'm still looking through the seed catalogs. Gotta go back to some older posts to check out some recommendations for zucchini and yellow squash since I never did get female flowers on mine. Maybe another variety is a little more tolerant of the hot weather. Might get some lettuce started indoors next week. Enjoyed having it available last winter.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9369309

I went for those cukes to try because of the warm weather, too ,too hot,, those 115 temps did nothing for my plants or me ,,yeow. My lettuce is getting contemplated as to planting ,Feb. on . The cold weather , I already have garlic an onions growing the only time those are not there is mid Jan. thru early Feb . That is as to when they are growing .I will try some early Brussel sprouts.
I agree with you about trying to determine what will take the hot summers we have been having. It is getting to be a pain .. Difficult anyway, takes more intuition than I usually have.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

December 30, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9370453

I have no "intuition" when it comes to veggies - haven't been growing enough of them long enough to get a real feel for them.
Did harvest my first Meyer lemon this past week. It was huge and had a lot of juice. The first half went to a mini-celebration of DH's b-day - lemon shots with his fave Polish potato vodka. Kids and families were all under the roof at the same time so it was perfect timing (but no imbibing for the little ones). Other half went to Hollandaise sauce (my favorite sinful sauce).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America