Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Longing for Spring, January Chat

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 150, Views: 1,003
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #8950452

Pull up your favorite chair and stay cozy by the fire as we wile away the long gray days of Winter. What's everybody up to and which seeds, plants and bulbs would you like to try this year? And which ones did you try last year that for one reason or another didn't meet your expectations?

Everyone is welcome to join us! The more the merrier.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232835/

Wish lists:
deejay9 / Susie: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8958323

This message was edited Jan 7, 2012 7:18 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #8950477

Debra - love your picture and you don't have to shave your legs when you wear that outfit...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8950497

Thank ya'll for making me laugh reading about who wears make-up and doesn't, and who shaves their legs and for what occasions!

I'll go first about my disappointments last year. Sadly, my coneflowers came down with Asters Yellows virus and had to rip them out. Never had heard of the disease til somebody here on Dave's recognized the problem from a strange-looking bloom I posted. Late in the Season I found an orange one at Lowe's named Papaya or something like that on a clearance rack and will add more coneflowers this year. The pics of Creeping Zinnias looked good in catalogs, and I ordered a couple of different ones thinking they'd be good candidates to add to my hanging baskets, but only a handful germinated, maybe I did something wrong. Overall, I can't complain and did have a lot of beautiful blooms

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #8950509

I'm starting out the new year with new additions - a bunch of orchid cactus cuttings!! My niece gave me an ebay card and I took advantage of end of the year sales. I am disappointed by one I bought though. The seller had a picture of an all red that looked like my nanas but it's actually pinkish purple.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #8950534

I totally didn't see your question Debra. Long story short - a great guy (specifically my bf.) I sent you a dmail too.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2012 5:32 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #8950556

My red one didn't bloom this year, Ang, but will be glad to start a cutting for you.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #8950570

Oh Sooze -

I had Asters Yellow 3 or 4 years ago and pulled out all my coneflowers and rudbeckias. I was sick, but I knew I had to do it. I started adding coneflowers in 2010 by seed and then last year, I added some plants. At the end of the gardening season, I was still doing ok - I am hoping this next year is even better with my coneflowers. I did find a Hot Papaya on the mercy shelf at Lowes for $3 and I spent a good part of the summer babying it. I am hopeful that it will be gorgeous in 2012.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #8950677

I also had to pull out all my cones, they were all diseased.. this year I hope to have more natives growing in my beds, and huge barrells filled with one of the same kind of flowering plants. (Joe wants me to put like all salvias or all gomphremas etc in some pots. ) I am hoping to get more arbors to line up and down the north fence, and that my crape myrtles and ros make it thru winter I planted this year.( on the new bare south fence)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #8950709

Is that Milkshake or another one? It's sad to think we have to start over, but it's OK in the greater scheme of things since I only want to grow healthy plants and eventually be able to share them.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #8950735

me too ... I really want a nice yard of prennials... I even lost my white swan.. but.. ws'ng with new seeds, and inside seed trays get set up next week..
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #8950970

I think it is Meringue. I have both and there are some differences in the cone - Milkshake I believe is taller than Meringue.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #8951139

I think so too, Carolyn. I have Meringue and it is shorter. Don't have Milk Shake.

Cute picture over there, Debra. :-D)))

Just waving hello to ya'll.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #8951683

Debra, that is a great pic, gotta love college girl... ;)

Hard to remember last summer...rofl...garden disappointments, still major disappointment with north garden, after 15 years it is still full of weeds and grass, just not getting rid of it. Think it is time to clean it completely and start over. Just need to make sure I keep some of the poppies my DM gave me.

Fruity, I have never heard of that cone flower problem, gosh it is amazing all the stuff I have learned from DG. Guess it is good but darn it is awful to lose flowers. My toppers cone flowers have gone crazy. I have gotten a couple that look like mums they had so many petals. I think I harvested some seeds but I am not good at it, in fact I need to figure out where they are... won't have that problem this year cause one of the swaps I recvd a great seed box, which I really needed...

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #8951839

Heck I would be happy if I could get coneflowers to stay alive. Didn't know about that problem either but I don't think that is mine, can't find what they like. Really frustrating.

Ang, you know I have that huge scarlet holiday cactus that is 10 or 15 years old. Need to repot it after it is done blooming this year and I know I will be knocking off arms. Let me know if you want some.

Will be 30 tonight, then 65 tomorrow. Get tired of covering and uncovering my herbs. I know, quit complaining, you guys have got it tougher. Blonde funny, I was freezing my you know what off today in the house, grousing about menopause, and DH walks over to the thermostat and says, "Gee, you never turned it on heat, it is 61 in the house." Sigh.

Here is one of the kids before the paint even dried on her. She is the one with crooked legs, her brother is to her right.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #8951846

She is so cute. She's going to be beautiful. I think she knows it too, look at her expression. LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #8951963

She is adorable! I agree with Robyn though - she has the same look that my persian cat has on her face - but then she is the Princess!

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #8951974

I can't keep up with you all right now.. :0) I'll just hang out. Joy it's that time of year already??

Debra that is too funny. You made my day. I loved Wonder Woman. Where did college girl get that? I need one.

Demolition on my kitchen starts tomorrow. Anyone have any extra Xanax they can share?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #8951985

i got it but i ain't sharin. :P

froot mine were diseased also. spread by leafhoppers supposedly. can you avoid by planting far apart?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #8952050

My understanding is that leaf hoppers are more prevalent in weedy areas.

We had a vacant house/lot in back of us at the time. I don't know if there is anything to this or if it is just coincidental. One of the things that bothered me was I had no coneflowers to leave for the birds that winter :(

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #8952139

I know what you mean, Carolyn. I didn't collect seeds this year unless someone asked for particular ones and left the rest for the birds or to reseed on their own. A neighbor surprised me with a wooden seed platform for Christmas he made and has walls that look like a church, and he included a seed "bell" I thought was an especially nice touch. He only has one arm and it never ceases to amaze me what he's able to do and craft.

It would be easy for me to plant Cones far apart, Manda. My mistake, or one of many, was clumping several together thinking I'd have a 'show'... and I did last June before they were history, live and learn. You'd never know from the pic there's a stone pathway to the left of the solar light.

Ya'll know how much I love Agastaches. Haven't seen any new ones yet I don't have, but that could change with the next catalog...lol Next I want to add more Salvias. May Night is well-established. Black & Blue was new last year, only a small plug though, and hope it survives the Winter. I'd really like to have a red and pink ones that are perennials. If any of you have suggestions, let me know and I'll go on a search.

There's a new-to-me Zinnia in Jung's catalog called "Swirls" that looks intriguing with 4" diameter bi-colored blooms. I don't need 100 seeds though. If I order a pack, would anybody else like to try them?

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #8952149

That picture is beautiful. All those colors together are amazing. When does spring get here?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #8952154

*sigh*
Is it spring yet? I am freezing my tai tai's off.

I have alot of zinnia seeds, we took them in arkansas from the dried dead heads. they were huge ones to.

Joy, your babys are so dang cute. I wish I had a farm.
dang it.

I have no clue where she got that WW thing, but my little sister sure looked cute in it this weekend while she was here.

I walked around the yard this weekend, and decided I like it better downstairs in the jungle better. Sticto cardia is about to bloom. can't wait!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #8952281

Good for you, Debra. It seems like I've been waiting forever to see my night-blooming Cereus bloom. We have a toasty fire going in the wood stove and your tai tai's would be thawed out in no time...lol

Robyn, Thanks for your compliment. That pic was taken the last week of June. Our last frost date traditionally is around the middle of May. Which means we're basically cooped up for six months and the other six are hey days I enjoy being outside. Houseplants are helping my sanity til Spring.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #8952469

Frootz that picture made my day. Positively gorgeous! Getting ready to gather some kindling for a fire since I will be cooking over a campfire tonight :0)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #8952506

aww neener... hay sounds fun, a campfire? and Fruity I agree with everyone, your garden shot rocks our world.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #8952508

For sure. :-)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #8952851

Fruity your garden pictures always look so lovely. There's been plenty of rain so far this fall/winter so we're hoping for a good appearance of wildflowers in the spring! I'm thinking I want to throw more seeds in the backyard since I'd rather see flowers than the weeds we have now!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #8952908

Fruit...love your pix, wow your bed is so full of vibrant blooms. I look outside and only see snow at the moment, yuck, not really but I'd rather have blooms . lol. Last fall I picked up some new agastaches 1) cana Sonoran Sunset, 15"^x12-15">; 2) X Ava, 4-5'^x 24">. I also have blue fortune. Remember I have a trade for you this spring...Some of the Salvias I have if interested: s. gigantia or guarantica, 30-36", blue, June- July, s. nemerosa (supurba), Rose Queen, Blue Queen and White Queen, 28", mine bloom all season if deadheaded. I think I have something else out there also but can't think what it might be, lol. Last fall also got s. azurea Pitcheri 'Nekan', 4', late summer, sure hope it makes it, if so will have some seed next fall. Kathy.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #8953059

Oh Joy ... I am laughing out LOUD at the mental picture of you in my head while reading your post from New Years Eve Day. :-) And I'm with you ... my first attempt at coneflowers was a wipeout

I will be anxious to see what has survived the summer of 2011. With the 115* heat and extravagant electric bills!!!!!, it wasn't fun. I know I lost a lot of plants and flowers. Will see if anything comes back in the spring.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #8953061

Oh Joy ... I am laughing out LOUD at the mental picture of you in my head while reading your post from New Years Eve Day. :-) And I'm with you ... my first attempt at coneflowers was a wipeout

I will be anxious to see what has survived the summer of 2011. With the 115* heat and extravagant electric bills!!!!!, it wasn't fun. I know I lost a lot of plants and flowers. Will see if anything comes back in the spring.

If anyone is interested in a January swap that hasn't already joined, check out the Sock, sniff and sip swap. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233609/#new Sign ups until January 15 with mail outs by January 31.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #8953430

Love the pic of your flower bed Fruit!!!!! Someday...

Hey, took the crippled girl to Texas A&M today, Evan got me in to see one of the vets he works for. Here she is, all repaired. Hopefully she will be out of the splints in a week or two. She is back with Momma who was glad to get her back.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #8953452

And this is what I came home to today after the trip to the college.

Oh, the little girl in splints is now named Bows (for her bowed legs)

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #8953481

What a brave little girl, Joy. Remind me again when Evan graduates.

Thanks for the compliments, Ladies. Going on three years now, that bed pretty much takes care of itself with Daylilies as the 'backbone' and is mulched so thankfully there's very little weeding. We do have some kind of running wirey grass that sneaks in in spots and drives me crazy, never can get all the roots / rhizomes or whatever they're called ripped out. Somebody besides me keep the pics coming.

Kathy, you jogged my memory and forgot I have Blue Fortune from a trade or swap. I'm definitely interested in Rose Queen and White Queen. Spring will be here before we know it, I hope...lol How much snow do you have? At least you have some 'insulation' on your gardens. Your prairie shots are always so pretty.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #8953579

Fruit.. the rose queen at my daughter's hse. needs dividing this spring so there ya are, new plants.lol. My white also needs division. Only have one but will be split into several plants. Still have several inches of snow left from my 12" a week or so ago. Been warm here the last few days, 'spose to be 60 for a few days. In Denver was 56ish, but I'm 40 miles south and east, also higher ground. We had what they call a mountain cloud, sat over us all day, just one BIG cloud. To the west I could see the mts., clear on the far horizon to the east and south, weird huh? New weather report said we should get more sun tomorow, sure hope so as was only 36* here today.
Need to get my pix transferred to this puter so I can post again. Actually I ready for some new ones, lol. Will try to do a better job of such this coming season, seems like after the first month or so I get busy and forget or I get that nasty H stuff and pix are too sad to show! Kathy. And Fruit...don't let me forget, 'k?
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #8953610

I love the name Bows. She is beautiful.
Fruit-your cat is beautiful too.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #8954321

Some of my plants are evidently very confused by the weather here. Some of the iris bulbs I put in the ground a few months ago started popping out of the ground this week.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #8954373

It makes sense that the plants are confussed since this weather is confussing to us. At least the weather here has been consistent the last week. Before this it would be warm and beautiful one minute and cold and wet the next. We never leave the house with less that three layers of clothes.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #8954705

Neener, Judy kidded yesterday! She is my best doe, had twin girls, and both are big and healthy. Just need someone to help bottle feed them. Judy is so full of milk they can't get hold. Such is the life of a dairy goat. Here is the black one. Definitely will need names for these two.

I took a fall up there right after I took this, so I am headed to the medicine cabinet then to the couch for the evening. Ouch.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #8954727

So cute, Joy. Feel better soon!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #8954793

On my drive to Mickey's grooming appt last week, I noticed several Forsythia bushes blooming. Crazy since they traditionally bloom here around Easter. Bet they were shocked with the cold temps we're had this week though and will be even more confused with roller coaster temps going from the high 30's today, to 40's tomorrow and pushing 60 on Friday.

This isn't very original, Joy, and don't know if you've ever named a goat after a cat breed, but that little girl looks like Calico might be a possibility. Hope your boo-boo wasn't too bad.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #8954860

awwww. such cute babies! Gosh Joy, just hope u didn't sprain anything.
will feel like spring tommorrow, too bad I have to be inside working..
stictocardia thinks it is Summer..

Thumbnail by joeswife

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #8954873

Cagney and Lacy? I want a baby goat. You think my neighbors would notice? Feel better Joy
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #8955086

I want a baby goat too. Right now I could put hay in my foyer and let them roam the house and no one would notice. :0) Feel better Joy. I always fall when I am hurrying around.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #8956094

the last baby goat looks like a daisey to me.. Daisey and Duke.. LOL
she sure looks like she is bumbling along... cutie pie.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #8956120

Those are cute names.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #8956209

I have missed you - been fiddling with my sick computer for a few days and have quite a bit of catching up to do.

Joy I love the goats and Bows is so sweet. Take good care of yourself so you can get back out there to take care of all your kids.

Froot - I have started collecting salvias too. And have loved the agastaches since I first started them from seed here in 2009. The "tutti fruitti" you gave me is my favorite so far because it's pink. I babied it all summer. You also gave me a start of the blue fortune which is my favorite blue of all of the blues so far. there's also the golden jubilee which I just love for the foliage. The one I started from seed was supposed to be the 'Black Adder' x, but I'm confused because I have read it was supposed to be sterile and not set seeds (!) so what kind of seed I collected from the 'Black Adder' I have no idea. I think whatever it is/was reverted to the giant hyssop or Agastache foeniculum. What do I know?! -sigh- Just that I love 'em. Some major flower/horticulture magazine (can't remember which one just now) on it's cover this past summer said that Agastache was the perfect perennial. I agree!

O and Froot - silly but I could always use more zinnias if you have extra seed. The butterflies love 'em.

My eyes are tired so I must depart. Check you all tomorrow -it's Friday for goodness sake! Make the most of it. ;)

A.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #8956554

Hey A. If Fruity doesn't have any zinnia seed, I do. All different colors. Just let me know.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #8956628

Hey P:

I only go out of my way to have these 2 after having tried many many many: Burpee pink 'Enchantress' and Burpee yellow 'Canary' (think that's the color).

NOW after this year and Max's memory garden, the white 'Purity' from Weeks Seed Co. were SO awesome it will be added to the list of must haves. Collected seed heads but haven't touched them yet to inspect for seed. I also sowed a packet of what was called 'Oklahoma' which was an old packet from 2006 or earlier. Only one survived but it was something Court called an "old fashioned" pink. I collected and saved those seed heads too. It was short- not more than a foot high, but I do love my pinks. And yellows. And purples. I tried Burpee's royal purple and green varieties, but was disappointed with the colors. So I don't go for them anymore.

My company Metrolina Greenhouses puts out some really swell colors in late spring/early summer, but I am either too busy or too poor to purchase when they are readily available.

I am a flower girl after all. Tempt me. But read my have lists to see if there's anything I can offer in return. Thanks. :D

A.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #8956865

quote" I am either too busy or too poor to purchase when they are readily available."

echo that!

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #8957528

same here. I took my mom shopping today at Big Lots (Pic n Save) and they had all kinds of packages of bulbs for three dollars and potting soil and gardening tools... and not a dime in my pocket. Could have cried. Watch, as soon as I have cash I won't be able to find anything.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #8957792

Well again I am trying to not purchase anything more until I get all these plants I am overwintering in pots in homes of their owns. Heavens. Then when I am done, it should be fall and I can find some good bargins and overwinter those...rofl.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #8958235

So far the only confirmed flowers I plan to grow will be Anise Hyssop and some other Agastaches. I'm thinking more of simple herbs and then some vegetables. I have Armenian Cucumber seeds to grow for Dad so he can once again enjoy the flavor of cucumbers without the, um, results. I also bought burpless cucumber seeds as well. Planning on eggplant and peppers, not sure which ones though.

I'm going through the catalogs I've received right now while playing laser chase with the kitties. I've found that giving my boy kitty catnip encourages him to play and chase the pointer. He needs the exercise.

Question to cat owners: Does anyone have picky cats when it comes to the 'nip' that is store bought? If so, you might want to look through it. I bought three brands and they have rejected all but one. I noticed the two they rejected had weed seed and Kong had very pointy, pokey, pieces. The one they love has zero weed seed.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #8958323

Well I found you all chatting without me :( I am so bored of movies today got to looking over the forums & well i found you all :)
Cute Kids Joy :) HEHE

Can hardly believe this this weather yesterday it was 54* today about 40* No rain or snow so nice out wish i could play in the garden .
I have been making list of plants I Would like to fine .
wish i could show the pictures of what i want so you would know if you have them or not , many of my plants i do not know the name of them unless i see a picture of them with their name s :)
post a list of your wishes if i have i will be happy to share with you in spring ..

Anemone hupehensis 'Susan'
PENTAS MONARCH SERIES
EXACUM CHAMPION ,ROYAL,OR LITTLE CCHAMP SERIES
Arisaema consanguineum ‘Silver Center’
Corydalis solida
Cyclamen hederifolium 'Sweetheart Flame
Epimedium 'Creeping Yellow'

susan i have a few coneflowers i can share with you come spring I Have

ECH: sunrise, sunset, dbl delight, hot papaya, & white swan.
should we maybe start a a thread for a few wants & have :) for a spring swap ????
brother is bring my super out soon so will be back later
susie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #8958388

Awhh, Susie wish I was there to entertain you, course after I was there for awhile you would be ready to send me on my way...LOL

Pretty nice here today for Jan. I went out and walked around, problem! I have a rose bush budding out! It is on the west side of the house but dang wasn't expecting that! Goodness. Another still has green leaves, guess I know where the micro climate is. What a shocker.

I am ready for spring, still need to catch the house up, but gosh that is still not as fun as the garden.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #8958418

OH Happ I Would love to Have you visit :) I Would love any company I Could get :) all i have right now is A DOG & Cat & They Don't say nothing .till i open the cupboard with their food :(

has anyone found any good sales yet on perennials for spring ???? Jim Made some Tappioca Pudding & Brought it out to me so guess i better go eat it :) & get off here have a great evening .
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #8958495

Oh that sounds great, Susie. TY for the offer! I'm pretty sure the Ech I bought late in the Season is Hot Payapa but let me check. I'll be glad to send you a box of plants in return. And I'm glad you found us and are starting to feel better.

DG needs a big bus we could rent, ride all over the Country picking up friends and touring each other's gardens. Now wouldn't that be fun?! Of all the techy gadgets out there, no one yet has developed a transporter like Neener suggested...'Beam me up, Scotty'.

Edited to add: I started a list of wants with links at the top of the page. Point me to your post if you would like yours added. It could be a tool to work out private trades too as we wile away Winter. If any of you would like to start a new thread, that would be great too and I'll follow along.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2012 7:56 PM
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #8958765

Happ-I checked your trade list and you don't have any wants. Isn't there anything you want? Come on now, dream and share with us. Susie isn't the only one bored. Robyn
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #8958819

Fruity I had some Red Salvia seeds or I could send you a few plants now or in the spring. I have one that comes up everywhere. The plants would give you a head start.

Joy what cuuuuutttteeee babies...I want one too. :)

I had lost you all but you couldn't hide for long :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #8959023

GM to all looking out the window to a bright sunny day looks like spring NO Snow But only on the hillside :) was going through many of my New 2012 garden plant books from JUNG"S, BURGESS & many others but i would rather trade plants with others then to buy them.

i have better luck growing the ones from friends then when i order tiny plugs . well going to try to venture out today for i need some fresh air . wo't be gone long just to wal-mart & home . dad misses my cooking so off to get some face mask so i don't carry this over to him .
so you all have a great day will try to get back in later .

susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #8959041

OK WENT OVER SOME OF YOUR WISH LIST & HERE IS WHAT I FOUND SO FAR THAT I HAVE THAT YOU WANTED BUT MAY HAVE BY NOW . BACK LATER TODAY .

FRUITY
Striped Giant Reed
Arundo donax 'Variegata'

Daylily
Hemerocallis 'Red Ribbons'

ILOVEJESUS99

American Lily of the Valley
Convallaria majuscula

Louisiana Iris
Iris 'Black Gamecock'

Star of Bethlehem
Ornithogalum umbellatum

Black-Eyed Susan Vine (SEEDS)
Thunbergia alata
JOESWIFE
Italian Arum
Arum italicum

Mock Orange
Philadelphus

Bird's Nest Snake Plant ( I THINK THIS IS WHAT I HAVE )
Sansevieria trifasciata 'Golden Hahnii'
AMANDAESQ
Bronze Fennel PLANT OR SEEDS I HAVE
Foeniculum vulgare
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #8959052

We are going to hit 50's again next week and then hit single digits, that is not good. Looks like you all in western Texas might get nailed with LOTS of snow if these guys are right.

Oh, there are tons of plants I want rofl, and everytime someone mentions a plant I get the "I want". I am soooo far behind in planting and I have promised myself I would get those in the ground before I get any more. I am terrified I will lose these as it is and I would feel horrible... I have been trying desperately to get my have list up to date so I know what I have in the garden and try to get them tagged, so my want list is ignored. Last year I can't tell you how many lilies I lost to mice. I had over wintered some the year before in pots and it worked great, then last year I guess with all the snow the mice got in the pots that were being overwintered and ate almost every pot of lily bulbs. I was just sick. So that is the promise to myself to get all the wonderful plants I have in pots planted before I get involved in more plants. Course that is easy now that there aren't any swaps going on, the test will be in the spring.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #8961006

evening all couple more nice days then its back to winter weather . guess it is time to fly south :) HEHE
Thought I Would share the Birdhouses that brother Jim is making for us & Our sale this spring :)
I 'm Going to paint one of these to see how it looks :) .
the top opens for easy cleaning .

off to watch the news back tomorrow :)
susie

Thumbnail by deejay9

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #8961012

Heya! I know Sandy (ILJ99) chats with you all here, so I wanted to let you know her friend Chris (the one who is battling metastatic breast cancer in her liver) is in the hospital today. Sandy's wishing she could be with her, so they could both use your good thoughts & prayers. There's a support thread here http://cubits.org/metoo/thread/reply/65789/ so drop by if you can.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #8961074

Thanks for letting us know, Jill. Gosh this is a sad time for so many of our friends.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2012

Post #8961228

oh dear, I had hoped for better news.. hugs and prayers to Sandy during her time with Chris.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #8962462

OK this year was supposed to be better. What gives?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #8962644

As I sit here looking out at the snow melting I'm right along epwith you all in thinking spring..of course listening to the weatherman has brought me back to reality..lots of time for planning

I am hosting the 2012 gathering for a lot of DG sistah's and am trying to go back. Time, seeing which months my gardens were flourishing so they can enjoy my pretties..don't do well with coneflowers but, will try a few again this year..

Got gift certificates for Christmas for the Garden Gallery, biggest nursery in the area..last year they had ground cover roses..that is what my $$$ will buy..ok maybe another mini mock orange and some garden art!

I don't feel as lonely for my gardens this year, little snow so much of the garden art left keeps me from wearing a frown..

Enjoyed the photo's both floral and the goats..when on the farm raised goats and know how much joy/laughter they bring...
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #8962795

I was able to see Chris today. hey are stopping Chris' chemo. The dr says it is harming her more than doing good. She told Chris her cancer is growing and it is starting to take a tole. They are giving her 2 units of blood in hopes it restores some energy. They are giving her fluids and she was more alert her son said even since this morning. She ate so very well. 2 vanilla pudding, some roast (a few bites) a few bites of turnip greens and mashed potatoes , some peaches and 3/4th of an Ice cream sandwich and 2 pieces of mounds candy :) That was Amazing. She still can't hold anything as she drops it. She is doing good. The liver is failing and hospice is being called to Brandy's house (she is a friend of the family) I have some more good news also but am tired. I had a terrible night. 1 hour sleep and alot of crying. I am doing better but not sure I feeling like typing it out.. The doctor said hospice can be rescinded if she gets a lot better as this could go one for a while...only God really knows.

I am excited for her and her family as she has more life to live atleast for now. :) Arrangements are taken care of for me to have a way bak and forth to see Chris. Brandy lives 50 miles away but I told her I may be camping out on her lawn. :) because I am in this for the long haul.

Love and Hugs to all
Sandy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #8963126

God Bless You, Sandy
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #8963321

Thanks so much. Will rest some then go up today. :)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #8963331

Sending prayers with those before me Sandy!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #8967760

It was 77 here on Wednesday so I actually was moving some dirt around! Of course a cold front blew through (literally - no rain) and Thursday didn't get out of the 40s. Supposed to be a nice weekend though. Got into the low 60s today.

Fruity, the CC clump you sent me last fall was doing wonderfully until the squirrels found it. I was able to salvage one - ONE - paddle. It's regrowing itself out oh so slowly. I had to pick up another pink to cover the season this year. :) The red and the white plants have buds but they are taking their sweet time opening. Probably because I keep the house around 65?

Hope everyone is doing well. Anyone hear anything new from Sandy?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #8967775

I am busy organizing my indoor jungle. I replaced my plastic white shelving with white coated metal shelving. It has to be organized by the time we try to sell this place and also so I can fit my new orchid cactus cuttings on it. Mostly because of the last one.
I have three thanksgiving cactuses with berries forming. I nearly removed my niece's boyfriend's hand when he went to dead head what he thought was just a spent flower - it was a berry with a spent bloom.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #8968609

Chris is holding her own.They are sending her to Brandi's (friend of the family) tomorrow. The pneumonia is clearing up but her blood pressure is low. They had her on lasix and her urine turned back to yellow. Since they can no longer give because bloop pressure too low it it has turned back to brown. :( She walks once a day and did yesterday and slept most of the rest of the day. She is in no pain and taking no pain meds. I thank God for that. I am spending many hours a day with her. Anywhere from 6 to 11. Her sons spend the nights and sometime during the days and Brandi is there mostly the whole day. Chris eats very well but yesterday slept a lot.

I have to run and shower and be on my way.

Love and Hugs to all,
Sandy
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #8968861

I'm keeping both of you in my thoughts. I'm so glad she's not in pain.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #8969312

Me too, God Bless her.

Is it spring yet? I planted some tulips.. hope they come up.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #8969326

Sandy thank you for stopping in. We love you girl and glad that Chris is in no pain and surrounded by love.

Debra, I was going to take advantage of our forecasted 70s tomorrow and plant some daffodil bulbs. I figure since the iris are already popping out of the ground, the daffodils will be just as happy. *shrug* I also have a couple of amaryllis bulbs I may as well plant. Going to keep them out front away from the squirrels..
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #8969396

Chris son told me tonight Chris may have 30 days. She will slowly and gradually sink into a coma and then it is a matter of time. She is so very tired and her eyes are closed but she hears us and talks to us. They discontinued the chemo as it was doing more harm than good. Her kidneys are starting to produce less and it is brown due to the liver. It is hard once I get home to think about and talk about. She is a very good friend and although I knew it was coming it doesn't hurt any less. I am so much richer for knowing and sharing her life. I will surely miss my buddy and the times we spent together.

She will be moved to Brandi's tomorrow and I will try to go atleast 4 days a week.to spend time with her. She will be around 75 miles away so I will spend some nights there with her. He family is so good to me and include me in everything. I have grown to love them all in such a short time.

Got to get some sleep.

Love you all,
Sandy
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #8969891

Debra, one of the honeysuckles you have me is making a return, just as we get snow.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #8970534

Dear Sandy, I am blessed to have you share your fears of loss with us. I have lost somany people to cancer, and even tho my sister has been told she is cancer free, I know someday it might rear its ugly head. I felt so helpless with the ones I took care of as their lives spun away from me with Cancer, and I know you feel helpless to. Just think of the better place she will be at when you get to go see her.

well it thundered, lightening, but the rain passed us by. *sigh*

Ang, it will be okay, honeysuckles need cold to be more vigourous in the spring.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #8970698

Together we will walk with you during this dark time Sandy, and together we will all find the light again. My thoughts are with you, Chris and her family.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #8970710

Thanks all. I am sitting her thinking about how lost I will be when she is gone. But how free she will be. She always says It isn't over til... Til is coming closer and she can almost reach out and touch it.

She went into the hospital Monday. Tuesday her son called me and said they had been talking about what she wanted to do with her stuff. She gave me her car. It is a 1990 Toyota Corolla with 161,000 miles on it. It isn't pretty to look at but as I told her son it gets from point A to point B. He said she knew if I had a way I would be right there with her and I have. They bought it for her because she had 3 bad wrecks in 1 yr. The ignition needs fixed...it has to be started with a screw driver...lol

All the hoses and gaskets are new, radiator is new, new tires. I am truly blessed. I will get the oil changed soon and have my mechanic give it a quick look. I got pulled over Wednesday night pulling into my subdivision. The officer gave me a warning as I had a brake light out. As he was waiting to get back info on running my license I told him I was anxious to see if I was wanted for murder. He said no. That was a relief, guess they haven't found the body yet. :) rotflol

I haven't had the time to share this with all of you as I have been there ever hr I can.

Hugs to all,
Sandy.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #8970738

Sandy, it sounds like you have a new family and friends forever.

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #8970950

Sandy ... huge prayers being sent up for you, Chris and her family. I pray it will all be serene as she spends her last days.

We got into the low 70's yesterday. I spent the afternoon lifting the canna and EE bulbs that I had in pots. Didn't trust them in the pots. The ones ithe ground do fine. Today is going to be 40*. Sheesh I noticed my Easter Lilies are poking their heads up.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #8971202

We were suppose to get snow over the weekend and yesterday but not much fell. I'm slightly happy it didn't snow last night since I just realized there is no food in the fridge and today is shopping day. Since we are now expecting 6-14" (although I doubt we'll see it) I'm making sure we get our groceries today.

I was wondering if everyone could please say a prayer or a few good thoughts for my BF's father. He is having his shoulder replaced tomorrow. He had to lock his brakes on his motorcycle to prevent hitting someone who walked in front of him and ended up with a badly broken shoulder.

Thumbnail by tikipod

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #8971241

Oh wow ... so sorry to hear about the accident! Will definately keep him in my prayers. Please let me know how he does. My DH is facing that one of these days. He is bone on bone but has not consented to have it done yet.

Better get your shopping done. I'm sure the rest of the town will be doing the same thing.:-)
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #8971266

I'll update later on. I've offered to help out in anyway possible. I have a circle of friends and family praying for the family.

People here spaz over 1 inch of snow so I'm hoping everyone got their WINTER SNOW STORM SUPPLIES!!! last Friday. I'm hoping today is just a normal senior day. I tend to get overwhelmed with the crowd on senior day and even run over with those little electronic carts but it's better than spazzing people.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #8971834

My prayers are sent

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #8972081

Praying for you BF's father, and hope all comes out ok. What a cute lil birdie! I wonder when we will ever get any snow?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #8972142

Thank you Debra
He's been perching on my hanging basket that has dead Fuchsias for the past week. We get so many of these Annas all winter but not a lot of people put the feeders out. I've had to spring for a 10lb bag of sugar because I've had so many visitors.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #8980801

Tiki, hope your BF's father's surgery went well and that he's recovering quickly!

Sandy posted an update this morning on my cancer support site, looks like her friend may be slipping away. cubits.org/metoo/thread/view/65789/#end_of_thread
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #8981067

Thank you for sharing that update with us critterologist. I was wondering how Chris was doing since it's been a little while since her last update.

The surgery went well. We had a bunch of snow that day but my boyfriend's family were able to get him there before it really started coming down. From what I've been told recovery is going well. Lots of physical therapy is ahead and they had him in for his first session the day after, I believe.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2012

Post #8981286

That's so sad, Jill. Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

And on a slightly brighter note, that's a good report, Ang.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #8982511

I noticed Critter hasn't stopped by today. Chefmike has been in close contact with Sandy, and sadly reported this morning Chris has passed.

Please keep Sandy and Chris's family in your prayers.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #8982956

I am here with a broken heart. Chris has went on ahead of me and I told her I would be there one day and we will dance on the streets of gold. I got there Tues afternoon and spent some time reading her from the book of Gods Promises. I read the ones on worry until they did not sound just right. Brandi and I held her hands until family came and we let them have some time with her. Yesterday morning I woke up and went down stairs and got to Chris room just as the Hospice Nurse had gotten there. Her and I talked and she reassured me Chris was in no pain and told me some of the things people wait for before they pass. We went into the room and the nurse shared more stories how some people will wait till the person with them went to the bathroom or a chance to be alone and then let go or until they feel as if they have seen everyone they wanted. Or just know the ones with them will be ok. Some have waited till their children were out of the room. Chris was rattling a little worse and we were watching her face. Her left ear opened a little and Brandi tried to gently close it and couldn't. Chris drew just a few more breaths and stopped.

I think from the talking and reassuring her not to be afraid helped her to step from this life to the next. Her sons and I know how hard it is to do..had told her the evening before they would be lost but they would be ok. I know she needed to hear that as she loves them so very much. I sure have grown to love them also.

Chris is in a much better place. On Mon she started to getting very anxious pulling out the catheter and off the oxygen. Her son woke up to find her on the floor. They changed her meds to Haldol cream and started giving her morphine. They said the second dose of Haldol cream behind her ear settled her from being anxious and the morphine from the pain she started having Tuesday night. They were only having to give it every 4 hours and not 2 like some have to take to get relief. Brandi took a sponge with water and rubbed her lips and she closed her mouth to get all her lips like putting on lipstick. She absolutely knew we were there. I have thanked them over and over for allowing me to be a part of all of this. They were meeting with the funeral home this morning to make arrangements.

I will check back in again when I can. Not really feeling up to par. Not real down just really blah. :(

I love all of you.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #8983015

Sandy

It is so hard and my prayers go out to you and Chris's family.

I think of death, like birth. When we are born, we die to the world we know in the uteris. Chris has been born into another place. You will see her again, of that I am sure.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #8983669

Amen
You are an Angel, Sandy, and Chris will be guiding you from above. We love you and we are here for you.
Praying for you and Chris's family and friends.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #8984716

I'm so sorry, Sandy. Check back in when you feel like it. We all love you and are here for you.

Has anyone grown Petunias from seeds? I've been eying several I'd like to try from pelleted seeds. From the little research I've done it seems they need warm temps to germinate and then the seedlings prefer cooler temps. Just wondered what your personal experience has been, if it's worth trying, or if buying plants would be an easier route. With the wood stove going our house stays really warm and my only alternative for cool temps is our unheated garage.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 27, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #8984879

I think you are not supposed to cover the seed. I have had bad luck myself trying to germinate them. Except the old timey kind that reseed.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #8984907

I asked about this a while back and several people said to try it but to make sure you only lightly press the seed in like you would with sweet alyssum seed. I was able to trade for some so I'm looking forward to trying them. No one said anything about starting them inside or anything. They all did say that they take a longer time to germinate than many other plants.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #8984995

I have grown petunias from seed every year, from previous seed pods and from pelleted, Susan. if you want to grow them in a planter that hangs, get the little Jiffy pellets that expand at walmart 32 for 2.00, soak them and split them up a bit on the top, press your seeds into the middle of them and kinda squish the losened medium away from the net and lightly over the seeds you pressed in the middle, then put them in a plastic tray with a clear lid and set either in the window sill or under alight. Perfection would be on top of the fridge with a small gooseneck light on them. I put mine n plastic water bottles, put the lid on them and stick them in the window sills, because I have old windows with actual sashes and sills. within a week or so you will see wonderful green dots. if you just let them be until they get big enough to see leaves, then you can take the lid off the bottle. ( or dish) for a few hours a day. by the time they are filling up the bottle, I just undo the tape, and lift the lid, and few hours a day, and sorta let the lid just hang over them until they are hardened off to plain air. I leave them on the sill no lids for the rest of their time inside, watering only when the pellet seems to be drying out. I put pebbles or marbles under the pellet before I put it in, and that way water stays away from the actual plant while being there for the roots. I just slit the bottoms, drop the pebbles or marbles out and plant them into the planter plastic and all, minus the bottom and top. I still have the ones I started last winter in a basket downstairs.
I do most of my plants from seed this way, it is easy and cheap.My peas and maters are already showing green leaves now..

look at Kaitlyn, she is determined to keep her 6 week cycle...

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #8984997

I sent Joy, or.. Carolyn? LOL , I think, one of these geraniums, I still have these two main plants I grew from seeds 4 winters ago..

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #8984998

this was started from a seed on the window sill and moved to the basement when tru leaves showed

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #8984999

these were started from seed, in a plastic water bottle, and sunk into a planter downstairs..

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #8985000

the window sill warms up the bottle in the day, heats the pebbles and marbles, and keeps them warm at night on the bottom, but cool on the top, that is what seems to make things go so well for me in the windows. I just recycle them to the basement gardens and start over again.
this is a different seed starting for me this year, and I have things popping up everywhere in this tub. I just planted the seeds from the hibiscus cannibinus pods in the black pot, and cut the main plant down, it is growing new growth too. I am hoping for a few plants of the same hibiscus to be in this one liner.

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #8985002

these were just brought in from outside and sat and hung earlier this fall. now lookit here.. I have moon flowers, red feather morning glorys, little purple mile a minute morning glory, four passion vines, and all kinds of other morning glorys growing here along with a super cayene pepper and my goji berry planter. what a mess!

Thumbnail by joeswife

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #8985314

I always save petunia seed from the previous years plants. I just throw the seed into my container in early May and when the weather warms up enough, the seeds will sprout. I don't typically cover the seeds, just scatter them.

Geraniums will root by just breaking off a peice of the main stem and sticking it into a pot of moist dirt. I remember the first time I had heard that - I was surprised. I wish they were all that easy, but then that would take some of the challenge away from the whole thing, wouldn't it?

I have started some wintersowing,, but I also have some barrel cactus seeds and some hens and chicks seeds - not sure how to get those started.

Deb - your basement garden is beautiful as per normal!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #8985348

I'm starting some Anise Hyssop seeds indoors this weekend. I have winter sown some as well :D
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #8985358

Ang

I love the way the Anise Hyssop smells. What color are you starting?

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #8985431

Just the basic Anise Hyssop. I'm going to start Golden Jubilee and Korean Mint, if I have any seeds left.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #8985701

It was me Debra, you sent the lovely geramium to me. And it is blooming again or maybe never stopped. Just a stick of a thing but extremely happy.
I still love it.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #8985714

Ang

They will be nice. I have a Giant White Hyssop and love it. The bees are drawn to it as well, so definitely worth it.

Joy - love the geranium!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012

Post #8985970

Thank you all for the advice about growing Petunias from seeds. I think I'll buy a pack of pelleted ones to try. We had the windows in this old house replaced several years ago, Debra. What a bummer no longer having window sills and keep bugging hubby to add ledges, along with about a million other 'honey do' projects, but thankfully I do have a lighted grow system now and also bought several new seed-starter flats on sale last year that came with Jiffy peat pellets.

Ang, If you don't have Golden Jubilee seeds, I'll save some for you from my plants, or maybe I'll have some seedlings. They're pretty easy to spot from others when they emerge with their bright chartreuse leaves. I didn't save seeds of anything last year unless somebody asked for specific ones. I'll dredge up our old dmail and see what else we talked about in the Agastache world.

Good luck with the Barrel Cactus seeds, Carolyn. A couple of years ago, I tried a mixed pack of Cacti somebody gave me and scattered them gingerly on top of a mix of potting soil and sand, mostly sand, and kept a clear plastic dome over the pot recycled from a rotisserie chicken, to keep the kitties out and the humidity in, and raised the cover every so often to mist. I either did something wrong or the seeds weren't viable. Might have to try a new pack again because I thought actually growing my own Cacti would be fun. Keep us posted how yours do.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #8986041

Fruity, depending on where the seeds came it might have been the seed. I've had a few friends warn me about mixed packets from certain companies.

I just ordered fresh seeds - Anise Hyssop, Golden Jubilee, and Apache Sunset.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #8986147

Honestly, Ang, I don't remember the name on the pack that was given to me, but it would be fun to try again.

If any of you have a few fresh seeds of Canterbury Bells / Campanula to spare, I'd love to try them again. I'm pretty sure my original seeds came from you, Alana, in one of the Robins. I just ordered a passel of Annual seeds I could trade for the Bells and also have a variety of fresh Japanese Morning Glory seeds. Pic is of the Biennial Canterbury plants in bloom last year from my Winter Sowing efforts two years ago. Their blooms really did put on a fabulous show until some kind of blight or rust took over and ended up ripping up the plants before they had a chance to set seeds.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #8986342

Really like those canterbuy plants, those are beautiful and look like a ton of blooms. It is tough to yank out plants even when they are not healthy, hate that.

Debra those blooms are beautiful, I popped over to the winter basement forum and wowzer, can't wait to see those brugs go to town.

Got a new computer for Christmas and I don't have anything loaded on it yet. One of the many things on the list of things to do...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #8986388

I was bored after the movies last night, so I unpacked three of the Five old Samsonite suitcases to see what was in them seed wise. I found the bags I had started before christmas in there, for everyone, and then went into a seed frenzy and threw seeds down on top of all the empty spaces in the pots and tubs down stairs. GEESH! I have so many seeds , all of them "special" or I wouldn't have bagged them up or wadded them into paper towels or rolled them in newspaper, right? Please tell me this is normal.
If they all pop up I am going to have a lot to transplant.
Some of my winter experiments are going well... my little red flame salvia that I have been trimming in it's little glass container is about to bloom, and looks like a little bonsai tree. LOL
Found mites on one of the glory vines, had to spray windex, went thru a whole brand new bottle down there, and now it smells clean.

Remember the jewel of opar plant? I found all the seed baggies I made for everyone, and then I was looking at the momma plant, and it is getting ready to bloom.

IS IT Spring Yet?
Joy, my geraniums are blooming too, I wonder how long we can keep them going? Mine are 4 years old now.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #8986456

Deb

I have to say, that I think it is totally normal, but then I am seedhead too. I grabbed up some seed pods at Lowes last summer that I am quite excited to wintersow this year!

Sooze - love the Canterbury bells. I tried them only once and my seedlings all had dampened off. I should try to wintersow them.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #8986458

I am guessing the geraniums will keep going forever especially if you take starts and renew them. My experience has been the Momma plant get really think stalks and for me was hard to get to produce leaves or blooms down on the tree like stalks, looked really leggy. Course I am not the best watering person in the winter and that might of been part of the problem also.

Debra you are so funny, you are so normal atleast among this group. I haven't even done seeds before and I have piles everywhere...LOL Guess that is why we all hang together otherwise we would really seem odd...rofl.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #8986489

I just got back from Wally World to get some more daffodils on the clearance rack, to put around the pear tree, in with the hiyacynths that are popping up but chewed off... someone here on DG said to put daffodils with your other bulbs and the squirrels will leave them alone.. has anyone else heard that?

Joyce, you gotta go throw some of those seeds around your group planters, G/F..

Will be outside cleaning out the north fence flower bed today, since it is nice and mild, need to add more soil to some of the areas, can see the black plastic I laid out when I made this bed...

Joe says I have a love/hate relatonship with all the birds and squirrels and cats in the hood, I about them all the time, but I feed them.. what is wrong with me?

Me thinks I need a therapist.. I better go out and fill the feeders..
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #8986496

FOTV, try Mesa Gardens. For the most part I've had luck with their seeds although several of the seedlings died. Not from care or disease but from my cat stepping on the flats and knocking over the pots. I have several noid stapelia, haworthia and one aloe seedling remaining though. I am planning my next order from them :D

BTW, hope no one boos me but I think I'm the only one here who doesn't like geraniums.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 8:38 AM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #8986597

Ang, can't say they are my favorite flower, I don't like the smell, but when I first started gardening I had several salmon colored ones I loved in pots. Anymore I haven't had any in years. Sort of liked the white ones also.

I have managed to do nothing in 4 hours, but play solitarie, word on the iphone, dishes, and a little laundry. Don't know what the deal is with me. Someone slap me out of it! rofl. Monday I will be so sorry I didn't do anything today...ughhh...
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #8986701

My Nana had a load of them and they were always covered in bees. In fact, I was stung by a bee on a geranium (I'm allergic.)

I'm ticked off. I took a tumble, thanks to a poor placed toy fire truck, and landed wrong. No serious injuries but I'm sore.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #8986940

ut oh, Ang, you better becareful and rest up..
DD number 3 is over helping with "working Girls" taxes, so I put her new sheets she brought over to wash into the dryer, and when I pulled the dryer door open my hand got sprained.. what is up with that?
Sheesh!
Think I will just go back downstairs and tinker around for awhile..before I have to work or something.
Joyce, I know exactly how you feel. After I get off work on Saturdays, I feel the same way. Manage to do nothing for 4 or 5 hours.
Now, if it were early summer, different story..

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #8987060

Debra - yer crazy!!! ;)

The old Samsonite suitcases, eh? Hadn't thought of that. Have a mint set at mom's house in fire engine red. Maybe . . .. ...

I haven't really started planning what to plant yet, but I got my shelving units in Rita's room all set up very nicely and hope to start starting soon.

Keep you posted. I guess I have to go start dinner. A lady friend on FB posted and said thanks to everybody who came to her birthday party and thanked the person who brought her a lemon creme cake. I said, "Oh poo! I didn't know it was your birthday! I would have loved some cake." Just being sarcastic, you know? She called me right away and said she'd been looking for me to come over and get this gigantic chunk of cake. It's all I can do to save it for after dinner. :/

O - she's the neighbor that owns the goat.

Seeya. ;)

A.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #8987132

Lemon Creme cake sounds good... would it be possible to get her recipe?

I was going to get some things done today - it was all I could do to get my hair dyed - at least I got the legs shaved...

Deb - you are right. If it was summer, I would be getting far more done. It has to be the sun or lack of sun that affects me.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #8987240

Carolyn, Now you're just gonna have nubs again...lol Those eight weeks between coloring my hair seem to fly by. Started going gray in my 20's and refuse to grow old, or at least look like my hair is. Now if they could just invent a magic potion for skinny hips and legs, I'd invest in the company's stock.

Personally, I don't like the smell of Marigolds but grow them for color. They're one of hubby's fav flowers. When we had a large garden, I planted them between tomato plants since Marigolds are supposed to repel some kind of bug that's attracted to Tomatoes. Mums to me smell musty but have several different ones established in my little side garden for Fall color. Carnations are my least favorite flower, they smell like a cold florist's cooler and remind me of death and funerals.

Made a trip to town this afternoon for a few groceries, mainly kitty food. Pit stopped at Lowe's first for light bulbs and, of course, had to stop by the seed racks. I picked up a pack of heirloom tomatoes, Little Pear, and a pack of burpless cucumbers. Are these like the long skinny English cucumbers? As you can tell, I didn't read the pack. I don't have a problem eating regular cukes but hubby does. A few houseplants drastically marked down caught my eye but was good and only bought one I think is a Banana or may be a Ginger.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #8987561

Sooze -

aren't marigolds supposed to help keep the rabbits at bay as well? I always planted them on the perimeter of my veggies to keep the rabbits out. Then I would also feed the rabbits - purhaps I was attracting them? They are so cute though.

Ugh! Nubs... not sure what to do about that, but if you discover that stock for the hips and thighs, let me know and I'll buy some too!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 30, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #8987812

I used to have problems with my geraniums getting leggy too. But now I bring them in for the winter, stick them in the guest room that we have the heat turned off in most of the time, and kind of forget about them. They might get water once a month, if I remember or have to go in there for something, lol! By this time of year they look half dead and awful, so I just chop them all down to almost nothing, just a few inches tall, move them to a sunny window, start watering and feeding a diluted fertilizer, and they leaf out like mad and fill out beautifully. I've had them for several years so far, although I doubt they like me since I mistreat them so much, lol!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 30, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #8988573

Could someone give me a quick primmer on round robins?

I enjoy all this conversation. :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #8988589

A!!!!!! Round Robin !!!!!!! Is when someone Puts ITEMS Such as Seeds or Gardening Items in a Box & It is sent out to all who Has signed up to RECEIVE it. & Ends Up Back at the Person who started it .

A MONTHLY SWAP : You send a Box to another player & Another Player will send a Box to you .
Just depends on the type of swap BIRD HOUSE You Send a Birdhouse , Valentine swap is Just that anything you can find for your partner that you think she or he might like & Can use . almost like Xmas each month :))) Lotsa Surprises .
Hope this helps a little
susie

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #8988640

I love marigolds... i use them everywhere just for the pest repllent..

I color my hair, but the leg shaving thing is about once a year.. I wear tights, thermals and pants all day every day at work, so there isn't much there anyway, and I KNOW Joe isn't gonna sit around and stroke my legs for crying out loud.. LOL

My daughters can't stand it and the advice I gave them was don't shave above the knee or behind the calves.. we were all born to have hair.. but I know they shave every inch they can..
No one else notices whether I have shaved or not LOL Wait.. did my Maya Brugmansia just whisper " Pssst Hey! Mom! You better git up there and shave yer legs! "
skellogg, monkeymomr, just stay here, we will somehow make sense...
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #8988717

You crack me up. As a single woman who hasn't been on a date since Bush Sr was in office, I shave only if I want to wear shorts. And that's only if it's one of those days when I think I might care what someone else thinks. Not often.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 30, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #8988723

so... where do you find announcements of round robins?

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 30, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #8988725

never mind. duh. I see

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #8988731

you know the easiest way to acquire "wants" on your want list? go to the Plant Id forum and when you find something you like, you can scroll down and click add to your want list. ( and have list too}
Sometimes I click too many and then forget I wanted them, tho...
I want one of these things... real bad... but I can't remember if it is in my WANT list.. LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #8988743

I don't know, Carolyn. In the past few years, we've only seen rabbits at the edge of our property, mostly in the Spring, but not nearly the numbers of them lately we used to have. And I'm sure from the pellets they leave among the Hostas, even in their shorter numbers, they are the culprits along with the not so dear deer :(

Those are great tips about overwintering Geramiums, skellogg. My cathedral cactus is currently in a spare room on the North side of our house and like you, I pretty much ignore it and it is far move forgiving than I expected. It'll be happier after Spring has sprung putting on new growth when it's back outside on our back porch that faces East. How's your Winter weather been up there? Ours has pretty much been a dud, temps this week are going to be in the 60's, and so far we've only had one skiff of snow that produced less than 1". Two years ago we were buried in snow.

Crystal, swaps I've hosted and referred to as a Round Robin just meant the person you send to is not the same person you receive from. Susie's right, it just depends on the type of Round Robin swap you're in and the guidelines the host provides.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #8988749

Just to fill you all in on the lastest...there will be a new pill coming out in a few years that will turn gray hair back to your normal color. Can't wait, lol.

Pix is my growing stand (have two), sure would like to set up again, probably won't be this year though. Phooey !!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #8988753

The pill will come out but be for men. LOL. The womens version will take another decade.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #8988761

Holy Crow, Kathy!

I am chagrined by the picture of your seedlings...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012

Post #8988775

Is that some kind of a "stinky", Debra?

LOL Robin!

Your seedlings are looking good, Kathy. You're way ahead of me. Just brought my seed-starting flats out of the pot ghetto this morning and sterilized them while I was weeding...again. I need more pods, and went through my seed stash...so many possibilities, but am excited, even if most of the ones I have are annuals and veggies.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #8989714

Fruity, just what I was thinking about Debra's post. Amorphophallus...Wikipedia has the one Debra posted - Amorphophallus prainii
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #8989870

How's your hubby liking his new job?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #8990023

goodness, and I was just bragging about my sweet snaps peas growing out the water bottle planters.. Kathy I LOVE your set up!
That pic I took off net is of a voodoo lilly I would like to own..
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #8990060

Wow! Kathy! I am so envious of your seed starting set up and abilities! Awesome job!! What are you going to do with all those babies?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #8990108

You bunch of sillies...I'm not growing this year. If I do it will be over the tub with just two lights. (sorry pix was from 3 years ago, before my brother moved in, but did this for 3 years with both units being filled, 5-10,000 seedlings). I would love to be growing that many this spring...I want my greenhouse building. Lol. Might be too busy doing kitchen remodeling.

Pix is other stand.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #8990116

OOOps, here's the other side. lol.

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #8990125

Wow, and what a variety! I wish you were growing this year and had your greenhouse too! LOL! Did you start your geraniums (pels) from seed or cuttings?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #8990134

Skellog...those were being overwintered in the pots, got some in the bathroom now, (have a skylight over my tub and they love it).

I use to line my driveway in early spring with hundreds of flats with all my baby flowers, these are Valariana officinalis, very fragrant. I have them planted inbetween the lilacs in my border til they grow and fill in, then I'm not sure where I will plant but with 5 acres I should be able to find a few spots or share them with others. Last year was there first bloom, this year should be great.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2012 8:27 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #8990141

pix is blooming (young tho) Valariana

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #8998306

We're one more month closer to Spring. Everybody come on over to our February chat thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241481/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America