Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: New Duckies

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 47, Views: 211
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #8950520

I traded my trio of adult Brazilian Teal since I have the 4 ducklings that can't go out yet. I got a pr of Bahama Pintails and a pr of Silver Bahama Pintails.
This is one of the Silvers

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #8950523

this is one of the Regular Bahamas, also know as White-cheeked Pintails

Thumbnail by DonnaB

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 1, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #8950546

Those are beautiful birds!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #8950581

oh forgot to say I have ordered 2 pr of Hooded Mergansers my Christmas present. Weather permitting they will be here next week. I have wanted them for a long time
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 1, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #8950592

You have an impressive flock!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #8957403

Where do you find these awesome looking waterfowl?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #8957674

on waterfowl forums from private breeders. Some them list them on the on line auctions. My Christmas present is being shipped from MN. on Tuesday and hope they are here Wednesday. I get nervous when it ends up being 2 days. I am getting 2 pr of Hooded Mergansers Yeah!!! I have wanted them for so long. I will post pics when they come in. Not sure if they will be full breeding plumage. Some breeds take 2 yrs.
If you are interested I can point you in the right direction to some honest breeders.

Here is a pic of a Drake I took at the local harbor
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1050393493039658816XDofER
the next pic is of a pr

This message was edited Jan 7, 2012 12:37 AM
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #8957904

I would love to add more duckies to my flock, but I am afraid hubby would send me out there to live with them. Also, I don't have a 'coop' for them. All my ducks and geese are free range all the time. I have no way to keep them from flying away or predators getting them other than them being able to swim away in the pond. No losses so far and we keep accumulating a few ducks and geese here and there that fly in on their own. I think we have a couple of red head females out there, but they don't let me get too close to get a good look at them. I just know they are really small and brown. The also dive way down a lot because the stay under and come up a little way from where they were.

I just recently got a chicken tractor built for the chickens and that was like pulling teeth to get hubby to to help. We are also need to get an area cleared of large trees so we can finally put in a garden. Too much to do and so little time when we both have full time jobs. We will just keep chipping away at it on the weekends until it is done.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #8957987

Yes they are BEAUTIFUL !

Thank you for the pictures.

I'm curious to know how many ducks you keep there at one time. Do you breed and then sell them, sell the eggs, adult birds or what?

I feel like I'm being a bit nosey.

Seems I got out of my league quickly just by adding a few chickens that fly. My two new Wyandottes are confined to the the garage for now until they learn where they live. I hope they will stay put after about three weeks of living there. At least I know they are safe and not outside the yard or hiding from me at night.

At times this is a very expensive and heartbreaking hobby, and much more complicated than I realized. You have chickens that don't get along, unwanted and/or aggressive roosters, predators, chickens that come up missing, housing issues, disease, diet, and weather to deal with.

All in all though, it is quite wonderful.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 7, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #8958294

I have found that with time and experience it all smooths out. Chickens are wonderful creatures!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #8958347

LJF I bought several different breeds to start with and have been able to trade with others for different species. A guy in FL will take as many Mandarins as I can trade him and he has many species. He can;t raise enough for the demand in his area. Wondering if a Chinese Restaraunt is buying them lol. He is right on the way when Hubby goes to Florida to visit his mom at Christmas so no shipping charges. And yes the do die occassional for no known reason. My Poor Falcated has lost both his hens now. These birds were 100 ea.1 the first year and the other this year without ever breeding ;-( so now I need to find a 2 or 3 yr old hen for him which will cost me 150 to 200 because it will be a breeder at that age. My Goldeneyes and Shoverlers have not bred. My open pen is not what they want for a secluded nest site. My Goldeneyes are box nesters and I put a box on the ground with a ramp but they have shown no interest. The are way over pinioned. They make no attempt to fly at all. I have 1 Mandarin Hen that has only 1 wing pinioned which to me is very cruel. if she gets spooked and tries to fly she ends up doing cartwheels across the floor. Really freaks me out. With both wings pinioned they can fly enough off the floor to a raised nesting box or a perch and if out in a pond they could escape a preditor. My Chiloe Drake(he is second one) is sterile so no babies there. I give the broody hens eggs from the other birds because they will not come off the nest for 2 months trying to hatch out the eggs. They will also try a second time a month or so later. Way to much stress especially since is so hot by then. You haven ever seen a more happy hen when she finally hatched out 3 eggs last summer. Her 3rd yr of trying. I gave her some Mandarin eggs. I traded 6 Black Copper Maran Hens and 50 dollars for a pr of Hottentot Teal which cost 200. The guy I just traded with for these I also traded with a couple of months ago for another pr of Hottentots so I have 2 pr that are unrelated

I traded 6 Ringed Teal for 8 Tufted Araucana but it still cost. Shipping was 100. That's how I finally got some tufted birds to start breeding with. Every egg I bought and hatched gave me no tufted birds
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #8959083

After seeing you and your araucana, I bought some in an online auction, a rooster and hen. He is white with blue and she was supposed to be white but has other yellow and blue colors in her feathers, just enough to make her look kind of dirty. Still, she is so fun to watch. She is not tufted, but he has one tuft.

IThe people that raised them spent a lot of time handling them. The hen actually flew from a table over to me the other night. I could hardly believe it. The lady used to train parrots and used the same techniques on these chickens. How fun is that? She said she will eat out of your hand, though I haven't tried it. One thing I like about her is the way she walks. With every step she brings her foot up to her body and pulls her toes in. She's so much different than the silkies. I let her out in the yard yesterday and after sundown could not find her at first. Then she appeared in the garage close to the rooster. He needs to be washed and deloused again. They both had lice when they arrived. She said they had been to a poultry show, so maybe they caught something there. I don't know.

So far the hen has not laid an egg. Guess I'll let her back out in the yard again today. She was not timid like I expected. She joined right in with the silkies. Still, I wish I had one more araucana hen, just so she would have a nice friend.

Thanks for sharing DonnaB. Sounds like you made some good contacts. Gives me something to think about. I hope I get to go to the poultry show in Okla again next year. I met a few people that raise the silkies, and brought home the book that has their names. Next year, God willing, if I get to go, I'll be there by Thursday night.

One day at a time. One day at a time.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #8959603

oh I want to see pics. I sure wish you had gotten them from me. I have them running out my ears from when I hatched out 50 last winter. I listed them on Craigs List after seeing a ad of people looking for some and posted 4 pics. I offered them for 40 a pr. 1 double tufted/rumpless & 1 clean-faced/rumpless. Not one response can you believe that. I haven't even seen a single Araucana offered for that price. Sadly I am going to have to put down about 6 or 8 rooster. I just have to many. They are super friendly and will fly up and sit on your shoulder or arms if you hold it out even without training. They are just naturally friendly. Even the ones that don't want get be held or get up on you will eat out of your hand. They are big treat hounds
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #8959924

That is heartbreaking about those roosters. Surely someone would want them!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=616144
One of my favorites auction sites is this one.

Right now they have some beautiful Icelandic roosters. I would love to have one. What is wrong with me? lol

DonnaB are your araucanas the bantam ones?

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #8960052

yes mine are bantams
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #8960055

yes mine are bantams. The 1 Gold Duck wing is so beautiful but he has to go. He has a full spiked comb which is not allowed. I would rather put them down than give them away. I spent a great deal of money getting started with the Araucana and took me 2 yrs to get my hands on tufted birds. Everyday you see on our local craigs list people offering to take you rooster for free and other have listings wanted free chickens, ducks, and rabbits. One guy buys Roosters them to resell but I am not selling them for 5 dollars to him to make money off of. I would rather feed them to the coon, foxes, bobcats I have here. If I knew a poor family that wanted to eat them I would gladly give the roosters to them. I have no problem with helping others less fortunate than me but I refuse to allow anyone to make money off me with all I have invested in obtaining my stock, all the feed, coops etc.

I like the BYC auctions too.You see where they are stopping them?? Upgrading the site and that will no longer be a option. I guess they are going to make a forum for people selling but it won't be click and bid
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #8961172

I guess they are too small for you to eat? I am having a tough time getting rid of or butchering my roosters. What I am afraid of is that I will butcher them and then I'll lose the ones I have left and have no way to have babies later. I have one EE hen that is bantam sized (to me) but she has normal sized eggs. Both my EEs came from regular size stock. Just funny how small she is...I wish I get one of you roosters so I could have more blue egg chickens, but like I said I have to many already. Maybe a swap???LOL. Good luck with them whatever you decide.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #8961225

I can't eat my pets and it is very hard for me to put them down. Generally if I am out there and a fight happens or one is dogging a hen out I get mad and can snatch it up and swing it real fast. I have about 1 rooster to 2 or 3 hens. Way to many and they breed them in a pack. one gets her then another one gets her. Like they all run behind the lead roo chasing a single hen and then take turns when he is finished. To me that is like rape and makes me angry
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #8961242

Love and Hugs DonnaB... I sure miss my ducks but I love looking at your pictures...
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #8961273

Donna - Mine were doing the same thing...most of the hens didn't let them get away with that, but my New Hampshire hen's just froze and the poor things got the worst of it...unless I was there and slung them off. But I have fixed the problem...4 roosters have been banished to a chicken tractor so now I only have 2 roosters in with 12 hens. I will switch them out once in a while so no one rooster gets exclusive rights. When I am ready to start having babies I can then move all like chickens in with each other so I can have a few pure types. I'll have some mutts with the EE since I don't have any roosters of those type. Those roosters were just plain mean and I didn't mind sending those ornery things to freezer camp.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #8961564

"What I am afraid of is that I will butcher them and then I'll lose the ones I have left and have no way to have babies later."

That's my fear, as well. Unfortunately, in my case it makes no sense. Out of 5 straight run chicks, four are roosters. What really makes me stupid is that they're Blue Cochins, and wouldn't breed true anyway. But what if there was a tragedy and I lost the only one I have left...
I am completely ingnoring the fact that a white roo would get me the same 25% blue babies...
And the fact that I somehow have ended up with many blue babies, and no idea how they got there, so there are obviously other combinations that will give me blue.
That will keep me busy for a while now, as I try to figure it out.
Now the Salmon Faverolles, 4 hens, 2 roos, I still find myself able to justify :)
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #8962530

Oh Catmad keep your faverolles they are the best. My female is like a shadow...I don't know how many times I have almost stepped on her because she is under foot. My boy likes to talk me a lot. He was being a naughty a couple of weeks ago and fighting with one of my partridge rocks. Had to separate them and things are better now. His comb was all bloody and the other guy hardly had a scratch on him. Silly thing kept going back for more. He has always been pretty good with all the other roosters, but this one he was fighting with was probably trying to go up one level on the totem pole. I figured he would get his butt kicked all the time, but he held his own for most part... it was just this one time he was fighting for several days straight and that finally pushed me to get those extra roosters out of the coop and also so the ladies could have a break.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #8963512

Donna, you are one lucky duck! All your ducks are just gorgeous!

I'm not up to ducks and geese, yet. DH is just now starting to think maybe we should get a few ducks and geese (we just recently enlarged one of our pond/tanks as original was almost empty due to drought). I have to work on him, but mostly he is finding that enjoys the chickens and the peacocks so maybe I'm not quite so crazy for wanting ducks and a pair of geese. Like titaniumRX8, we have so much to get into shape here that it will just take time. But I have already convinced him that I want Silver Appleyards as I am working on planting out a number of fruit trees. And Appleyards belong in an orchard, don't they?

All the fowl at our place are pets. I don't have a problem sending production livestock (cattle or maybe hogs) off to butcher, but I can't send anything that I have come to know. If I could that #@%# Buff Brahma roster would be gone! He's gotten to be quite the bully. The only reason he leaves me alone is because I just happend to be standing in just the right spot whith just the right implement while cleaning out the chicken run. He made a run at me and I reflexively smacked him upside the head with a shovel. I didn't hurt him any but he has been very mindful of me ever since. He's rather pretty, but he's a jerk and proud of it...

I've bookmarked this thread, so when I am ready for more fowl I'll follow the link and see what happens.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #8963841

Yeah the Hoodies arrived today. The drakes won't be beautiful until after they molt over summer and get their adult feather by winter. Some species don't obtain their adult plumage until 2nd yr. I will post pics of them tomorrow and maybe a video if I can figure out how on my camera. I have had it 5 yrs and never tried lol. Had to replace the roof tarp and decided to go with clear instead of white. Really brighter in there now even with 50% shade clothe over it.

Terry geese are great but make a lot of big honkin' poop everywhere. Make sure if you get some you have a secure enclosure for them at night. Coyotes love them and ducks too. Pond makes no difference. When mine got frightened they came up to the house to sit by the porch and we caught the coyote in the act with my big Embden Goose in its mouth trying to drag him off. We scared it off. I started locking them up at night after that
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #8965129

I have an enclosure for my espaliered fruit trees. Sides and top and enclosed and it is a pretty good size. This is surrounded by an electric fence. So a snake might get in--or a small bird--but not much else.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #8965395

I've had pretty good luck not having anything get my ducks or geese. I have Canadian Geese that are really good sentries. I have both tame and wild Canadian Geese. The ducks just stick pretty close to them. We have foxes, coyotes, possums, racoons and people's dogs that are running loose and we haven't had any loses thus far. They have a pretty large pond (4 acres the best I can estimate) for them to paddle around on so it may be the whole reason we don't have any problems. We even have a resident Beaver that is living somewhere around it. It has a good hidey hole as I've not been able to figure out where its lodge is located. I see a nice dam further up the creek from the pond and on part of my property, but no beaver lodge. I have been hesitant to go hiking further up because there is a lot of brush in the area and I don't want to become briar fox looking for briar rabbit.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #8965628

here's two of the Hooded Mergansers
and a good video of all of my ducks in the pool
http://youtu.be/VcNIcap_SRg

Thumbnail by DonnaB

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #8965861

Oh those are really cute!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 13, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #8965880

What lucky ducks! One of our cats also enjoyed watching the video.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #8982929

DonnaB, I don't blame you for not giving your roosters to those people wanting free ones. I sure wouldn't do it either. Wish I had bought mine from you too, I just didn't know you had FIFTY and some were for sale! lol

I'll try to get a pic of my araucana rooster soon. I'm afraid he has that big bad comb too. Probably why they took the picture of him to sell from the back. I wondered why they didn't show his head. lol They probaby knew some naive person like myself would buy him not knowing the difference. Which means he is useless for breeding. Adding him to my collection of roosters. Oh boy. Those poor roosters, I keep intending to build them some nice coops so they will have lots of room, but other things keep coming up in my life.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #8987905

What kinda combs are they supposed to have? Both my EE roos have fat, fleshy, knobbly combs that flop around and hang down.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #8987933

they are supposed to have pea combs
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #8988267

I'm going to show my ignorance here but does the post office ship full grown fowl?

Gorgeous ducks BTW!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 30, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #8988393

Yes, but it is expensive!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #8988520

and they have to be shipped in special boxes that the seller also charges you for. Usually 10 for new and 5 for a used one or more if getting 3 or 4 bird because you will need a quad box and they run 30. If young small birds you could probably still go with single box. They also have chick boxes but they are cheap
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #8988945

Okay, that's good to know. ( I've ordered chicks from Ideal Hatchery one time so I only knew about that. )
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #8989121

This has a good shot of a "proper" Ameraucana comb :)

http://ourflybabies-chickensforsale.com/ameraucana_chickens.html#

HTH
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #8989643

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/3/3-1/Dave_Anderson.html

If you go to the bottom of the page it shows the different types of combs.

My araucana should have the pea comb and he has this huge single comb. I didn't know what it was called until today. His is really big too. lol I'll keep him just because, but he is no good for breeding. He also has the tufts and doesn't have a tail. pitiful huh?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #8990412

Mine are shaped like the pea comb but they do not stay close to the head. They are bigger and fall over. Guess that's why they are EEs and not Americaunas. The hens have very small combs.

This is the roo with the muffs.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #8990423

LfJ, don't be too quick to count him ou:). You got me curious, so I wandered about a bit. Since he's tufted and tailless, he might be worth using with a true peacombed female.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/283767/how-to-single-comb-to-pea-comb/10

Since he'd have to be bred to a non- tufted female anyway, I'd give it a shot...

Or, send him to me. I'm trying to establish a Blue Egged, Feather Footed, Naked Necked bird.

He'd fit right in, I know.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #8990430

This is my other roo. He won't stop long enough to get a good pic but you can tell his comb is fleshier and falls over more.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #8990437

My bantam roo has muffs and a perfect rose comb. I was thinking I might put him in with the hens and breed for some bantam EEs.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

February 1, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #8990454

Love ducks! We need to get a couple more females, we lost one and gained some males so now we have 3 of each.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #8990460

I have just 1 duck, an Ancona hen. She thinks she is a chicken. I'd like to get a drake for her.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 1, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #8990463

Cajun, those combs are interesting! I thought only hens' combs ever fell over. The second rooster is really colorful.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #8990595

Thanks Cat. Maybe I'll reconsider. That is, of course, if this hen ever lays an egg. She is such a sweety and so cute among the silkies here. I need to worm the araucana rooster and get him out of the garage before the neighbors report all the crowing coming from my house.

Out to the horse lot with Zoro this morning. Man, can that guy crow! So LONG, and so LOUD, and so EARLY. In the house it probably sounds extra loud. That probably shows he's quite healthy though. Roosters seem so full of themselves.

Nice roosters Cajun, I prefer the first one, but both are lovely. Good to see you Smedge.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #8990608

The comb just kinda flops around.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #8990689

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 12:04 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America