NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #8951075

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232220/

Hope everyone had a happy new year!! Debbie and I went to my Sister's place for pork and cabbage (it's good luck). This year that was kraut and ribs. A good time all around.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 2, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #8951097

No black-eyed peas?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #8951101

Thanks for the new thread, Nik. Hope everyone else had a happy new year's celebration too!

I had the traditional southern collards, black-eyed peas, ham steak and cornbread. 'Twas good, and I hope everyone else had a happy new year's celebration too!

We're getting ready for a winter blast here today. The weather radar shows snow heading across West Virginia right at me. High tomorrow only in the 20's, a real change from the last 6 weeks of warmer weather!

I still have a few things growing in my experimental hoop bed...

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #8951314

I completely forgot to cook my black eye peas with pork on News Years Day...what was I thinking? um= Was moving packed boxes of stuff out of the seedling greenhouse so I could put my tomato seedlings in there cause they had germinated on day 4 from sow date which was sooner than I expected . Along with wave petunias that had germinated on day 4.

I am not superstitious but it's just a plan to have blackeye peas on news years===and at least 50 more times through out the year. :)

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #8951578

Had black eyed peas and cornbread. It was good. Making chilli now.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #8952251

I was always told it was cabbage and pork, which usually means kraut and neck bones or ribs or knockwurst. It's supposed to be bad luck not to have it on New Years' Day. maybe it's because Black-eyed peas don't grow real well around here, not usually hot enough long enough for decent crops of field peas. It's like peaches, A decent crop every 4 years or so.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #8956411

I plowed my old garden yesterday. It covers about 1/4 acre but I'm not going to garden there anymore. Instead I am going to garden another area close to the house.I have been manuring it all summer this past year then turned it under and manured it some more. Then turned it again before discing. Then I spread 11 truckloads of leaves and old straw.
The old garden has lots of nutrents in the soil also that I added over the years and I hate to let them go to waste. So I plowed it yesterday and am going to put about 8-10 cords of manure on it. Then I am going to plant it in corn and mangles for use as animal feed. I plan to do that for 2 years then plant it in radishes as a soil conditioner. Then in haygrasses.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #8956423

Ambitious project, Nik, but sounds like a good direction!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #8957582

We went to church on New Years day and then DH went to the hospital to have his meds infused. The year is not starting out great for us. I try not to think about it. Glad you all had a good New Year. Nik, sounds like things are moving right along for you. Looking forward to reading about your progress. Darius, I am amazed you still have some stuff growing. We got about an inch of snow a few days back and a few days of some terrible cold weather. It is still freezing at night but into the low 50s during the day for the last couple days. Chickens have started laying a bit again. It's welcome. Just got my Christmas stuff picked up today. Gotta pack it away tomorrow. Trying to thin out the clutter a bit. Went through the china cabinet today. Amazing how fast things stack up.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #8957820

Since it looks like this winter is going to be fairly short and mild I am getting more stuff done outside. When the wind isn't blowing, at least. I finally have pens set up for each breed of chicken that I sell. A rather nice one for barred rocks, A somewhat smaller one for the buff orps, and another small one for the oddments. The oddments include an auracauna, a golden comet (Grandkids school team is the "Comets") a Black star, and a breeding pair of gold laced wyandottes. I have Seramas, also. But they stay in a stock tank in the shop. Debbie really likes them. I wouldn't mind keeping a pair in the house in a cage -they're smaller than cocktiels-but we don't really have the room. Maybe when the cabin is built.
I ordered a sportsman 1502 incubator the other day from GQF. It should be here by Wednesday. It has a capacity of 270 eggs. My brinsea can do 48 eggs. Debbie's hovabators will do 84 between the 2 of them. That's 402 eggs all told. Luckily, I have a couple of good sources for eggs. I hope and plan to be REAL busy this year with the hatching and the garden. Fun times.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #8958613

I hope you are right about the winter being mild. It is a welcome change here. The last 2 winters here have been killers.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #8959048

Winter is usually about 3 to 4 months of crappy weather with a 1 or 2 bouts of really horrendous weather. We usually have a fairly mild one every 5-7 years, and a really rough one at the same frequency. We're over due for an easy winter. Here it is with January almost 1/2 over then there's short February, and then March. Spring starts in March.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 8, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #8959179

Optimist.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #8959198

Good observations, Nik.

I find myself in a strange position. All the work I did, and money I spent in Sept. and Oct. to prepare a new gardening spot higher up from the sometimes-flooding creek came to naught when I discovered in Nov. the septic drain field wasn't where we were told, but instead under my proposed planting area.

I haven't been able (both financially and weather-wise) to start preparing a new area due to some major faulty house plumbing we also discovered. Now I don't even know if I will be able to have much of a garden this year at all.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #8959392

Darius= depending on how much you like to garden==I would say that is ==well===i would be depressed...so I hope you find a way to have a garden this year rather it be a little or a lot. Maybe some container gardening. I love container gardening.

Nik==dang= thats gonna be a lot of chicks. Hats off to ya.

Winter==It has been cold off and on. A few days ago we had a Foggy Frost. I have never seen that before. Everything covered in heavy frost, and ice puddles and Foggy. I know that's got to mean something but I haven't found anything in the folk lore. lol jk

I'm gonna compost the lazy mans way this year. With all this chicken, rabbit, goat manure, abundant leaves. Doing the Trash Can Method. And to keep the trash can light weight===when the compost is ready to use, I will add wood ashes directly to the raised grow beds...etc...
And I will be trying out storage containers under the rabbit cages to see how poo collecting goes. Did you know that most rabbits will go to the same corner to use the bathroom... Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket=save it for a rainy day. I know=I'm just weird that way.

I have a few family members who want to garden but need an easier way of doing it due to their health so I am experimenting with some easy container gardening ideas that does not require much construction or a lot of science or money... zip zip done. And I have a few customers with the same health problems ...so most of my experiments will be displayed. Of course I have to get a big head start so all the displays are in full bloom and producing. Just simplify this, simplify that, a little of this and a little of that. And most container gardeners have probably already tried it but I have not and that is what makes the difference.

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #8960141

Part of my old garden was over the septic system's leach field. That's another reason I am moving it. You can garden there, but over the lines make sure you plant only shallow rooted crops. no root crops at all. And wash everything thoroughly.
For your plumbing you need to get a high school kid, teach him/her to use that PEX tool and send him/her under the house. If they are anything at all like the kids around here, they will be borrowing that tool constantly to make a few extra bucks. I taught the New Order Amish kids next door to me how to do it and they ran water into every room of the barn and every shed on the farm. Call the high school princepal or the VO AG teacher. Offer them 100 bucks for a days work and you'll have it done and have a kid you can call on in the future for other stuff.

The weather has been so nice here that some of the ground is actually drying out. After all the rain we had here in November and December the ground got totally saturated. I did a bit of plowing while everything was frozen but it's barely dipping into the 20s at night. It's totally thawed by the time I get home from work. But if it'll stay this way for another 4-5 days I'll be in the pink. It's also been good enough that Chester my contractor, is ready to start working on my deck this week. I am putting latticwork trellising on it and planting hops under the lattice. It's on the South side so as the hops grow up it will shade the house and in the winter the hops will die back. That will allow more sunshine into the house. Plus I want to try my hand at brewing beer. I already make pretty good wine.

I am also starting construction on a small greenhouse this week. It will be 12 x 16 and heated with a woodburning adobe stove. Sort of like a mass-heater. It feels almost like early spring to me and I get more done then than any other time of year. Life is good.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #8963827

I lost you guys ???
ok i m back. was lost and am found.
sounds like everyone had good holidays
Cricket cute bunnies. and tasty too i may add :)
just trying to get over this crazy warm spell we had last week ? man it was in the 50's oh what a tease it was. Plants were getting confused ? I dug up plants , bushes and other tree's and rearranged some garden area's .
gained 20 lbs from holiday eating :(
got a bad cold for 10 days . lots of ginger tea helped.
hope all is well with everyone
good night
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #8964477

Glad you're doing better. I feel like I'm in here by myself sometimes, as no one says anything for days. Everyone is hibernating, I suppose. They delivered materials for my new deck yesterday, but I had to tarp it all as it's supposed to rain most of yesterday, last night and later today. I doubt I'll get anything done on it for a few days. But hey, It looks like winter for a couple days. February is

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #8964497

I don't have a lot to say during the cold months as I'm not gardening and have few if any projects going. Nothing worth writing about...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #8964561

I been busy rounding up seeds, soil, containers, cleaning greenhouses, cleaning debris weeds around the greenhouses , organizing greenhouses, organizing greenhouse storage shed...I just assumed no one would be interested in me organizing things like Plant tags, fertilizer, etc... Or obsessing over tomato varieties, peppers, ideas for the garden. Need to drench the soil in the greenhouse with Mouthwash to help rid soil fungus. I need to construct a seedling chamber in the other greenhouse so I don't have to heat the whole greenhouse .I need to make up flyers for the greenhouse...plan advertisement...Order more supplies. I need to make a garden plan of where everything is going to be planted this year. Rotations. I need to clean the inside of my truck and it won't stop raining but I think I see a break in the weather but it comes with a cold front. Took the shelves out of the closed in utility trailers to redesign for easier entry and access to plants that get hauled to the markets in the spring... Extending my garden plots so I can let my sister use the land to grow veggies but it's just too wet to do that right now. Gotta take down and fence and move it...Use the tractor bucket to remove the top sod of grass and weeds. I have to pull all the garden debris out of the raised beds and table top gardens and run it through the shredder mulcher and add it to the bed soil. Gotta tune up the tiller and the cultivator. Need to haul in some split wood today cause it's gonna get cold the next few days. Need to sweep the barn floor and add it to the garden grow beds. The drive way is flooded in a couple of areas and I need to dig a few trenches to release the water so it will eventually reach the ditch next to the greenhouse and flow out to the road side drain ditch. I think we also may have a water leak somewhere along the 1000 feet of water lines cause the water bill is about $40 more than it should be.
And it is time to file taxes in a few days.
I really need to hire some help.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #8964569

Wow, busy woman!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #8964574

Hey Nik...you're building a deck? I must of missed that note . I love decks. What are your plans?
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #8965005

just a simple 10x 19-11 (200 sq ft you need a permit, so we're making it an inch short) with a roof. The hand rail will have plastic lattice between it and the deck floor, and then again between the deck floor and the ground. it is going to set on skids instead of concreting it into the ground. I got some 6 foot screw-in ground anchors to keep the wind from taking it away. it will have a 4-step stair case at either end. In about 3 years when we get started on the cabin I am going to enclose the deck and use it for a hen house.
The rear staircase will be enclosed and a fenced run built so Deb's little toy wiener dogs can go out without being leashed. That means we get to just open the door and let them out instead of dressing out and hooking them up and going out in the rain for 20 minutes while they decide they didn't really need to go out anyway.

It will have a metal roof and this summer I may hang a ceiling fan out there. I want to plant hops to grow up the lattice to shade the house. Gonna try my hand at brewing.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #8965017

What kind of hops, Nik? I grow some (not for brewing) and the herb shop where I got the start has no clue what kind they are.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #8965897

sounds like fun Nik...well...I think any construction is fun.
toy wiener dogs===i bet that is too cute.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #8966364

also on the agenda= installing the cast iron wood burning heater in the small Seedling Greenhouse. (16x24 )
I dread going Outside to stoke the fire in the middle of night. (2am) fun.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 13, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #8966472

Get a big one that will burn all night!

-just a thought...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #8966667

I would love another big one...gotta make do with what I have right now. A load of coal would be nice.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #8967368

I'm not sure on the variety of hops yet. A old Navy friend who brews in Michigan is going to send me the roots. I told him I wanted to make corn beer, and some IPA if I can find some decent barley.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #8967381

Sorry I don't get on much these days. DH is going to the hospital everyday to have his meds infused. He has bone infection. MRSA, StrepB and another one I have never heard of and cannot pronounce. His doctor said he has only seen one other case of it in his career and that DH had to have picked it up from the hospital. Last time he had a PICC line I did his meds at home but they won't pay for the meds this time so he has to get it done at the hospital. He is also back in the HBO chamber 5 days a week. Gas is costing us $20 to $25 a day and he is at the hospital all day 5 days a week and 3 hours on the weekends. It is wearing him out but it can't be helped. His foot is looking better so maybe this will all work out. All we can do is pray, trust God and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Quitting is not an option.

The animals are all doing good here. Thank the Lord they are all in good quarters this winter. Feeding is much easier. The hardest part is moving hay from the house to the barn. DH usually does it 10 bales at a time but he can't do any lifting with the PICC line so it's up to me. I just do a bale or 2 at a time.

My hens have started laying again. I got 8 eggs yesterday. They sure are welcome. I guess I will go ahead and start using the ones from the freezer now. It was good to have them. They tided us over till the girls got with the program.

I borrowed my friend's buck to breed my does again. He is a cute lil fella and gentle but he stinks! LOL The girls think he's sexy. I sold my buckling and the last doe kid is sold. They are going to pick her up Tuesday. I have had a lot of people calling to buy kids. Hope that holds when the new ones are born this summer.

I have gotten a couple seed catalogs in the mail. They have given me a few ideas for some new things but I don't have a lot of room for experimenting. I do need to go through my seeds and do some trading. My DG subscription is up in a couple months and with all our money going to fuel and meds I won't be able to subscribe again. I can still read this forum so I won't be "gone" but I need to get my seed trading done because I won't have access to that forum.

Guess I'd better get to work. You all stay warm and dry.

My h
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #8968077

Cajun, I hate to hear that your husband is so ill. I p[ray he recovers quickly and successfully and that God gives you the strength to carry your load.
Congrats on the sales and yummy egg production.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #8968426

My Barred Rocks are starting to lay well, and I got the first egg from the Buff Orpingtons Thursday. I have a Harlequin duck who has been laying almost every day. At work the breeder flocks are starting to go nuts with egg production. Our hatchery flock is not kept under lights. Today is my gardening cataloge day. I have Baker's Creek, Shumway's, burgess's and Cold Stream farms to check out. A few others also, but those are the main folks I buy from. The temp was 0F at 0600 when I took out the wiener dogs. There was not a cloud in the sky and the moon had already set. The was no wind so it wasn't all that uncomfortable. Debbie made me coffee and the MacTavish (Sheltie) and I stayed out long enough for me to drink my first cup. It was a grand and glorious start to a new day.
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #8968693

Gosh you all have been talkative!! Haven't been on since before Thanksgiving, and had a LOT of catching up to do.
Not sure if I ever mentioned that I was a diabetic? It's been mostly just lurking in the background for months. Since I started eating mostly a raw vegan lifestyle - it hasn't been an issue. Around about Thanksgiving I developed an open wound on the bottom of my right foot, and became unable to walk much.(I was so afraid it was a diabetic ulcer.) I finally got brave enough to go to the doctor for it. My body waited till that day to collapse. lol I blacked out twice while in the doctors office - and she called an ambulance and had me carted off to a hospital for my heart. I spent a week in there (with no insurance!) and found out I had a broken foot (And a very irregular heartbeat.) - and the misplaced bone had done the damage to my foot from the inside out. Still not walking too well, but am increasing my mobility by leaps and bounds. (figuratively at least. lol)
I am just itching to get out in the yard and garden! There is kale to start harvesting, and cauliflower that is heading up nicely. I can't get out there - but am anxious to see how the cabbages and replanted garlic is doing. No signs of the wild hogs for some time, thank goodness.
Need to find a source to replace my blueberry bushes. Hopefully ones that are producing size.
At least there is a nice glut of seed catalogs to keep me dreaming right now. lol And hopefully there is still time to do some winter seed sowing.
DH bought a new chipper-shredder last week. He's been busy making mulching material for me. The ground was covered in oak leaves and pine needles.
Hope you all are doing well? I have so enjoyed reading about you critters, cooking, and latest projects!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #8968723

Hi, and glad to see you back! Sorry for your foot ordeal, though.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #8969596

I'm diabetic. It blows. But except for having trouble with losing weight I haven't had any real issues with it. I was diagnosed in september of 2000. I make sure any wounds get healed quickly, though. A trick my Dr. told me once; when I get any kind of open sore, mix up some A&D ointment with some sugar and pack it into the wound. Then bandage normally. you are putting a good dose of glucose, and vitamins A&D directly to the part of the body that needs it for healing. it works really well.
We had a high of 11F the other day and today they are talking highs in the 40s. Next week in the 20s again. mild winters are such a pain in the fundament as you never really get acclimated to anything. Oh well, frozen eggs still scramble pretty good.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #8969683

Cajun i m so sorry to hear of your DH oh and that MRSA is nasty stuff. Sending T&P for you and him .
ouch on the foot Nik. i m allergic to neosporen and other topical antibiotic cream . I use honey
ain't this crazy weather for us here in Ohio ? today rain and i m not a fan of rain . i would rather have snow... why you ask ??? are yoiu crazy you say ???
rain = mud=muddy kids=muddy dog=muddy floors= more work for mom = yuk back to bed. LOL :)
well the barn is going slow with this weather also
here is the only pic i have so far.

Thumbnail by taynors

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #8969691

Sue, wow, a barn? How wonderful! What will you use it for? What's that building behind it to the left?

edited for typo

This message was edited Jan 16, 2012 10:09 AM
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #8970201

Sue, good to hear from you. You have been missed. I like the barn. Will that be where the goats will live when you get any? How is the GH business going?

Nik, glad you have not had any bad problems. DH's problems never start on the outside. He has had bone infection 5 times now and it works it's way to the top from the bone. It is very frustrating.

TX, so glad your problem was not worse. Please don't wait on anything like that if you are a diabetic. It could be as much as your life is worth.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #8970458

darius the building behind it is our neighbors barn.
Yes the goats will live there and other critters
we will do the nursery business too. it will be our store front.
Cajun the bone infection sounds very painful . sure hope it gets better soon for him.
cold and windy here today, just inside stuff
trying to get my butt to the gym. not an easy task LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #8970662

I don't know why I thought you lived in the woods.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #8971551

Diabetes is the one thing in my life I could do without. I have survived cancer, although I lost a kidney to it. I've been shot, stabbed, fallen three floors and had to get both knees redone-one rebuilt, the other replaced. But I could deal with any of those. The diabetes is the most serious niggly little PITA condition. It drives me nuts. The thing is I have always led a pretty healthy life. Never drank to excess, was never a druggie, used to run Marathons. I ran the Irish Crossing when I was 42. I was never enamoured to sweets or junkfood. I never even liked soda pop. I used to smoke, but not lots. 3-4 cigs a day, a cigar-and being a world traveler, I could get the GOOD cigars-when I was barbequeing. That was pretty much my only vice. I quit all that 10 years ago. The Navy took credit/responsibilty for the diabetes. "Diabetes Mellitus due to overdose of steroids during knee replacment surgery" is what it says in my Med records. I have to take 5 pills in the morning and 3 and a shot in the evening. And I hate taking pills and testing my sugar. I like to bake my own bread, pies, scones, biscuits, etc. But I seldom do anymore cause of the diabetes. It really sucked alot of the fun out of life.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #8971593

Yes, I would say it sucked out a lot of food joys, Nik.

I'm not diabetic, nor does it run in my family... but I can tell the ill effects of all the grains and sugars on my body, energy level and disposition; I'm trying to quit them. Lying to myself (maybe), I'm going to try some sprouted grain flours and see what happens...

Speaking of disposition... mine is in the pits right now, due to my half-sister who shares this house. I'm even thinking of moving, not that I can afford to, but maybe I NEED to... living with an active alcoholic is the pits.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #8971681

Cajun i do live in the woods. YOu were right. The barn is in the front fields.
dairus that is a hard one. The up and down of it can take a toll on a person.
well i m sick again ! just darn alrat annoying i must say. . i think its stress related.
i believe quiting sugar is harder then most things to quit.
broccli just don't have the right taste for me compared to a pie. :) LOL
but i do like soup's i make them daily this time of year.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #8971777

I make soup almost daily this time of year, too. Split pea and barley with sausage tonight. I had abunch of alchoholic kinfolk when still we lived in Eire. But my Da and brothers never did have a drinking problem. My younger sister has always been a bit fond of the creature, but not to where it gets her in trouble. I'd through her out, before I moved, though.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #8971883

Nik, I'd throw my half-sis out if I could, but she co-owns this property with me.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #8972135

eeeeeekkkkkkkkk

that's is all i really had to say and I hate that when you get the message that someone has commented and you spend the time to go find out what it was=====it was only an eeeeeeeekkkkkkk.

and to note that im just being a dork.

taynors...looks like thats gonna be a really nice barn. happy for ya.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #8973009

thanks i can't wait to get the crap in the basement out and into the barn LOL still crap but in another area LOL
still sick
very cold today
light light snow dusting
other then that ? not much to report or exciting
i need to look for laying hens
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #8973440

Cajun you have my sympathy and prayers for what you and your husband are going through. I can't even imagine all that you must be dealing with right now. You are one strong woman!

I just got the first of the medical bills today - from my week long hospital stay. I am dreading seeing the rest of them. I was told I am just over the limit of income for any kind of medical assistance. Always something.

I agree Nik, of everything I have been through in my life (And I too have been through a lot.), diabetes is the worst. I hate needles, even the little ones used to test with. I have always eaten healthy foods, so nothing much has changed there - except for maybe my portion control. I seem to have the most problems when I lose my appetite and don't eat. A & D and sugar? I don't keep sugar in the house, so will have to look into that one. Thanks for the info.

Hope you are feeling better soon Sue?!!

Darius you have my sympathies as well. It's got to very very frustrating sharing a house with an alcoholic. Been there, done that, and will never do it again. I hope something changes for you soon too.

Went out on the front deck today. The sun sure felt good!! I brought in a lime, and cinnamon, basil that had both set seeds. As well as a pot of amaryllis that were in bloom. DH picked me a bunch of paperwhites that are blooming here now too. I am just itching to get back to the garden! BTW, Cajan, if you still need seeds for your veggie garden - I would be happy to help out. I think I will have more seeds than I need this spring, especially heirloom tomato, corn and bean seeds. lol

The house sure smells good right now. I am baking apples with cinnamon and raisins. Yumm. Like to have a 'treat' to put into DH's lunch every day.

You all stay warm and safe!! ~Diana

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #8973961

Diana i love the smell of apples cooking. i do alot with apples in the fall. Thank you for the kind words. i m still feeling the crud.
i just can't believe i got sick for another bout ? just got over one two weeks ago and was feeling great for 5 days and then bam got hit again with another one ?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #8974173

Well, today the sun is shining... and I feel less discouraged. The situation is what it is, and positive changes can come from me. How's that for Homestead Philosophy? LOL

Sue, you must not be getting enough zinc, the right kind of calcium, and Vitamin C in your daily food regime. Or maybe the pH of your body is too acidic. That happens too easily with our typical diets, and then we don't fight germs well.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #8974641

hmmm could be right on the zinc darius.
i do take vit c, d and some mulit's too
feeling a bit better today
got some things done.
snowing out today
got 8 eggs today
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #8975377

Get Well wishes for everyone. Spring is around the corner.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #8975383

roops?

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #8975394

There is a vicious respiritory virus making the rounds here. Lots of people hospitalized with it. Praying DH does not pick it up while he is at the hospital. Lord knows he has enough problems without that. Hope you are doing better, Sue.

Darius, I hate that you live with no peace. A price cannot be put on peace. I sure hope things get better for you. Stress is a killer. Did the daughter and the boyfriend stay in Fla?

We had a good supper last night. DH fixed it while I was feeding. I didn't get started feeding til nearly 5 yesterday because I had to go to the hospital with DH. It was his day to see the foot doc and he likes me to be there. His foot is looking much better but he still has a month of HBO and 2 weeks of infusion left. The long daily trip and all the hours at the hospital are really beginning to wear on him. He doesn't do much else but lay on the couch. He has not been to the barn to see the horses since Christmas. He really misses that. Anyway, back to supper. He saute'd a bunch of veggies and then added canned cream of mushroom soup. He cooked some rice with saffron and we ate that with the soup. We are doing the "Daniel" fast with our church right now so we are not eating meat, breads or desserts. The soup was good with the rice and very filling.

Nik, are you still at the hatchery are or they closed for the season? Did you sell the rest of your ducks? You are lucky that you don't like junk food a lot. I am a sugar addict. I know it's not good for me but I can't seem to give it up. When I finish a meal I do not feel satisfied until I have something sweet. I can eat salty food until I pop but never feel satisfied without a bit of sweet. And I overeat if I don't have the dessert. If I can't have chocolate I get the DTs. LOL Fruit does not feel sweet to me. Guess I have just upped the sugar ante too long.

TX, I may take you up on some seeds. I need to go through mine and see what I have. I would like to raise some corn this year if I can manage it but I'd like to be able to save seeds from it. Any suggestions? Medical bills are a killer and the price of meds is through the roof. DH got his insulin yesterday for 2 weeks and it was $150. He only makes $350 a week and he has other meds too. You'd think we'd be skinnier from not being able to buy groceries. LOL Some of his other meds are on the $4 list at Walmart. His doc tried to give as many of those as he can. It helps.

The woman who was supposed to get the doe kid was a no show. Guess I will go ahead and contact the other person who wanted her.

Picked up 7 eggs yesterday. So glad the girls are getting back with the program. Only got 2 the day before so they are a fickle bunch.

Cricket, did you find out any more about your fan?

I got some money for Christmas so I ordered myself the Foodlovers Fatloss plan. I cannot exercise and I need to lose some weight because of my muscle weakness. I have gained quite a bit in the last few years and it makes life harder. The plan came in the mail Wednesday but I am not going to start it until after the fast. I'll let you know if it works.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #8975505

Cajun what type of goats do you have , i know i have asked but have forgotten. We are in the market for some goats for our kids 4 H but am looking for a good show quality begginer goat ? is there such a thing ? LOL we have friends who have goats and show in the 4 H but honestly i don't like how they raise there goats . they are kinda hoarders in the animal way . They also don't seem to care how they breed. For just regular goats i would get a goat from them for meat of just a milk doe . i just thought i would ask , i don't mean to offend that your goats are not good goats .
We may be doing a KY road trip also in the next few months.
I would think with the fast you would loose weight ? i hear you on the sugar. i m there with you sister.
i m looking for also 10 laying hens . just can't seem to find any at moment.
darius how are you doing today ?
cold day here only 11 out and some snow brrrr
Barn is looking great ! wish i did more pics but my camera just won't work in the cold ? i guess its to cold ?
i will try again soon, but they are almost done. monday should be our final construction on it.
i m very giggly inside about it too.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #8975540

Still at the hatchery. We are only hatching meatbirds for a customer in Southern Ohio right now. Every week I take him a couple thousand birds. However the RIR, New Hamps, and Barred Rocks are all starting to lay, so I imagine we'll start setting some of those in the next week or three. Also we started our first batch of Pekin ducks this week.

Of my own ducks I still have about 8-9 drakes to either eat or sell. As soon as they start laying full time I'll be setting a few dozen of those for my own sales. I bought a new sportsman incubator and with it and my other older 'bators I can set 406 eggs at the times. Of course, I won't; I'll set it up so that I am hatching about a third of that each week. But Nik's Homestead Hatchery is pretty much a reality now. I got the wood together to start the greenhouse frame, too. This year it won't be much, but next year after I get it all finished this summer, I'll have a nice greenhouse with wood heat. I love my life...mostly.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #8975553

Doing okay here, making a list of perennial vegetables I want to try. I have a few already growing for 3-4 years now: rhubarb, Jerusalem artichokes, sorrell, asparagus... but there are a few more I want to try. Welsh onions, skirret, malabar spinach, 9 star broccoli, and a perennial kale for starters.

Chickweed has taken over 2 huge flower beds and 1 vegetable bed since early fall. Thankfully it's both edible and medicinal!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 20, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #8975585

How do you eat chickweed? I have a banquet in the backyard!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #8975716

Oh my... so many ways! Here are a few links, many more available on an internet search engine...

Eating chickweed
http://jimlongsgarden.blogspot.com/2010/04/eat-your-weeds.html
http://www.moscowfood.coop/garden/chickweed.html
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Chickweed.html
http://www.learningherbs.com/chickweed_pesto.html
http://www.rosegoddessbliss.com/tag/eating-chickweed
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #8975918

Thanks darius. That was very interesting.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 20, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #8976000

Too cool! I can't for morning so I can go out and harvest some.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #8976248

So...I am writing a book and I have been really frustrated with the ordeal you have go through to get it published.
I felt like writing this book was actually going to be a bigger burden getting it published than it was worth. Then my sister the homeschooler told me I could make my own book using Binding Machines. I have no idea what I am getting into but she is willing to help
me through the process of printing and making a binding book. She knows a few people who started their books out like this and their books gradually made it to the big publishers easier than going through agents. She also told me that I can get the book copyrighted at the court house
some how...I do not know what I am doing...but I guess I will learn as I go which is going to take a while.
The book will look like those pretty little recipe books with the wire binders. Or something like that.
Now I have to figure out which equipment to buy, printers, software...etc...? and once again...i have no idea what i am doing.
Do you know what I am doing?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #8976284

There are self-publishing sites that do it all for you, all except the writing. Might be a lot less hassle, but not cheaper. Even the UPS/Kinko's stores will do it for you.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #8976329

Right. They are not cheap. I been checking out AuthorHouse too. I think I'm scared of getting ripped off, or signing a contract that has small print that is not always understandable. They always twist words around to sound good but hang you later.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #8977518

cold and snow here
off to a convention
won't be back until monday
until then have a good day

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #8977582

TXbabybloomer, Happy Birthday!!

Sue, be safe... have fun. Is it tomorrow (Monday) you will be beck, or a whole week to the next Monday?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #8977601

monday night i will be back.
happy birthday TX
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #8977779

Happy Birthday TX

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #8977815

I just made some parsnip chips, wow! I only had 2 parsnips left from what I added to a roast, so I didn't make much. First one I sliced down to the core with a potato peeler, and those just taste like most chips... fried and salty, but good. The 2nd one I peeled, quartered and cut out the core before slicing thinly... MUCH better, and they have a hint of natural sweetness from the parsnips. I fried them in my home-rendered tallow.

The sliced chips are better still warm.

Thumbnail by darius

TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #8978359

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! I had a great one. Kids gave me a lot of garden related gifts, which made me very happy. Now I need to plant strawberry plants and onion sets. lol

Darius, I had never heard of skirret before. Sounds like something I would love to try too. Amishland Heirloom Seeds has some of the seeds. This last Summer, I ordered seeds for some Welsh onions. I will be planting them shortly, as soon as I get all of the onion sets planted. Here Malabar spinach is an annual. I LOVE the idea of planting perennial veggies!! Now I need to research the kale. lol Yum on your chips!!

Cajun, I haven't saved seed since the 70's. I don't recall saving corn, so I will be learning right along with you. This year I am going to plant some popcorn too, and I will need to figure out how to use it too, which will entail saving the seeds. lol Here's wishing us both luck!!

Cricket that is so cool that you have written a book!! What is it about?

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #8978441

At the moment, my book and everything that surrounds me is the last thing on my mind. My 12 year old son was rough playing with his big brother and fell to the floor on his knees. It swelled up pretty bad just below the knee so badly that it looked like he had two knees. We took him to the after hours clinic and they did an xray but nothing was broke or fractured but he has a bubble in his bone near the area that was injured.
Bubble looks just like an Aneurysmal Bone Cyst to me. Of course the clinic didn't want to say what it could be, just that it is an abnormal bubble. My son has to see an Orthopedic ASAP. The clinic sent a CD home with us of his xrays to give to the Orthopedic. I loaded it on my computer so I could see it. It does not look good and I know that bone tumors can be cancerous but mostly not cancerous and I am terrified . I cannot explain my emotions right now.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 23, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #8978646

Best of luck!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #8978648

We survived the thunderstorms during the night. At about 0230 this AM the wind started howling and the lightning started flashing. It's supposed to be breezy today with a high of 50. I like the colder, more frozen winters alot better than these 50 degree winters. Besides all the other things that go with a wet warm winter; it doesn't kill off the bugs. The bugs this summer are probably going to be horrendous. I went out along the fenceline yesterday and picked out all the preying mantis chrysalises I could find. They eat so many bad bugs that I want to over populate my garden with them. Going to be a weird spring.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #8979669

Thank you.

Chad saw an Orthopedic this afternoon. The bubble is an Aneurysmal Cyst. The doctor said no doctor knows why they form...they just do. Sometimes they gradually go away and sometimes they get bigger. When they get bigger the bone is more fragile to break in that location. He also said that a lot of people have them and never know it unless they break a bone. The doctor is setting up an appointment for Chad to see Childrens Hospital for a second opinion to verify his diagnosis.

My book : You can find tons of books about gardening but there isn't very many specifically on growing Tomatoes. There are some good books about growing tomatoes. I started working on mine 6 years ago and It seems like every time I get in the rhythm of working on it, something happens and I get distracted. A really good tomato book came out 2 years ago and it is the best book on tomatoes I ever read...which kinda be-littled my efforts. LOL. I will still put my book out. It will take some time, but I hope to have it out sometime this summer. Tomatoes, A Gardeners Obsession.

Nik, I agree. The bugs are going to be bad this year.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #8981177

hi folks
well here is the barn so far
should be done tomorrow

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #8981181

kids in snow, wth the dog
dog likes to chase the kids down the hill .

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #8981184

close up of the barn from the side

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #8981190

can you believe i m digging up plants in the middle of january in zone 5 ??? we should be under 8 " of snow and the ground should be frozen solid !
this is so wrong in so many levels ???
darius never heard of parsnip chips ? but i do like my tomato chips yum.
well not much going on here
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 24, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #8981283

Looks like it is going to be a great barn!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #8981584

Barn is looking great, Sue! Never heard of tomato chips. How do you make them?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #8981611

dehydrate them in slices . i eat them like a potato chip . when i dehydrate them i sprinkle some garlic powder on them
thanks for the kind words on the barn . we sure are excited.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #8982080

That is a GREAT looking barn. Are you all building it yourselves, or is a contractor putting it up?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #8983035

we have a contractor doing it. We are not that good at carpentry LOL
well the inspector came out to do the final inspection and said, he will do the check off when we get a concrete floor in it...have you seen the cost of concrete LOLLL i guess we will never get the final check off on that LOL ...* wipe tears from face. *
rainy and cold here today

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #8983148

WHY does a barn have to have a concrete floor???????
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 26, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #8983302

To reduce dust and erosion. I had a dirt floor in the barn for years; I finally put down asphalt - Wow! What an improvement.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #8983318

we are going to do a gravel floor and on the animal side do rubber mats for easy cleaning or so that is the theory in my mind .
i think inspectors have some weird agenda ? they seem to make this stuff up as they go ??
we do have a big gap in some area's . so we need lots of dirt and gravel to backfill in the lower lying parts.
their is a 4 " gap in some parts from the ground to the barn.
wish it would freeze . we just had a good freeze and then it melted a gain ? so its all mud . can't do much n mud.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #8983329

Oh, I do understand why a floor in a barn would have some preference, but my question was really why it is a "requirement".

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #8983515

I have no idea why darius ? they just make this stuff up as they go i guess ? . not an actual requirement, but if we wanted the final inspection done. then we need to do that .. why i have no idea. DH didn't say nor does he know either. kinda crazy ,
when Ric was building the GH onto the house , inspector came out and we had to do a 2 " frost expansion ... really ??? a 2 " space LOL we are not in Alaska but we did it anyway. kinda over kill , IMHO. :)
Lucy our dog was eating a tack tonight... ? weird dog... you would think that would hurt to chew on ?
down pouring rain here tonight.
is anyone else getting pounded by rain or snow ?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #8983679

No weather pounding here... in fact it's midnight and the temp is 61. Unbelievable!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #8983853

It was in the 40s as it rained here all day and well into the evening. This morning it is a bit cooler and we got better than an inch of snow on top of all the rain. The ground is a boggy mess. The contractors are here to finish the deck. It still needs a roof and a handrail and the anchors need to be bolted onto it. I got the 4 foot anchors for it with augers almost 1 foot across. This deck ain't goin' nowhere!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #8984001

I have been MIA for a while. I been hoppin' like a one legged man stompin' out a fire. But the weather is nice. Getting a bit of rain but I'll take it over cold and snow any day.

Sue, that barn looks great! So happy for you. I know you will put it to good use. I don't understand about the concrete. It's hard on animals legs.

Darius, I don't know that I have ever eaten parsnips. Are they like a radish?

Cricket, so glad your son did not have a worseproblem with his knee. I will say a prayer for him. Hope he is back to his old self soon.

Nik, is the new deck hooked to your house?

I have to tell you all my good news! With all the sickness poor DH has had to endure and all the expense it causes, I was not going to be able to renew my DG subscription. I could still come here to the homesteading forum but not much else. I would have missed it so very much. It is one of the highlights of my day. I have a lot on my plate keeping everything together here and it gets stressful. I am not complaining because I know so many others have it a lot worse. But it does get to be a heavy load at times and when I can sit down here with my friends at DG and let go of that load for just a little while, it means the world to me. I was really going to miss that but some kind soul renewed my subscription for me for another year. I am so very happy and thankful to whoever it was. I am sure they do not know just what a wonderful and meaningful blessing it is for me. God is so good and I pray His richest blessings on the person who reached out to me with such a gift. This is such a special community of people.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #8984110

Parsnips look like a long, white carrot, and to me they taste like a cross between a carrot and a sweet potato, and the texture is more carrot-like.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #8984228

I don't know why I thought they were hottish like a radish. I have some seeds and may plant a few. I like to try a couple new things every season.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #8984240

Parsnips are good for you if you have diabetes. Both the roots as food, and the tops as tea. The roots are rich in food value and nutrients without causing sugar spikes/ The tea will actually lower blood sugars. I first learned that reading a scific book (Island in the Sea ofTime, by S.M.Stirling) and did some research on it. It happens to be true. I have always liked them, but lots of folks think they have no taste.

The deck is not anchored to the house. It has 8 screw in anchors holding down. The screw-ins go over 6 feet into the ground. I didn't want to have it attached as I want to turn it into a small barn, or maybe a chicken coop when I get the real house built. I am going to give the mobile home away to anyone who will come get it, but the deck will stay. That's why I had it put on skids.

Congratulations on your subscription extension. One less thing to worry about, eh?

This message was edited Jan 27, 2012 2:42 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #8984438

Cajun so glad an angle came to your subscripion .
well very muddy here
hmm parsnips sound good.
not much else to report.
glad everyone is doing well.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #8984776

Thanks for the info on the parsnips. Now I will surely plant them and see if I can get DH to try them. Maybe I will fry them like Darius did. He likes nearly anything if it's fried. :) Since you are anchoring your deck so well, can I assume you have lots of wind at your place?

Sue, it's wet here too but not muddy. I am glad of that. I can still do my chores in my hiking boots and not have to lace on the rubber boots.

We had a good supper. Since we are doing the Daniel fast we are not eating bread, meat or desserts so I have to get creative and try some new things. Tonight I coated thin slices of eggplant in a mixture of corn meal and flour and fried them. I topped them with sauted tomatoes, onion, garlic and mushrooms. Then I grated Monterey Jack cheese on top. We had it with Uncle Ben's wild rice. It was all very tasty.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #8984803

Cajun that dinner sounds pretty good. yum
well our zones changed ! Ohio is more of a 6 A zone ? we were a zone 5 b . ? well ok so they tell me.
so not much here.
been on comp most of the day and cleaning
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #8984833

Lots of reading to catch up on here. Everyone has been busy in spite of the winter season.
Very mild here with a fair amount of rain. I hope it will continue into summer.

Cajun ~ glad you received that pleasant surprise and will continue to enjoy the respite from the daily troubles. Hopes and prayers too for your husbands' improving health.

Those Daniel meals you fix sound good and make me hungry all over again. How long does this fast last?

I get a MEN newsletter and have noticed this on their newsletters as well as many other sites.

There will be a topic of discussion on DG (irregardless of what topic) and it will be written up in their newsletter within a couple of weeks.

Look what y'alls vegie chips inspired... http://www.motherearthnews.com/relish/baked-vegetable-chips-zb0z1201zalt.aspx?newsletter=1&utm_content=01.27.12 FG&utm_campaign=2012 FG&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email lol

They do sound tasty!

I've been harvesting currant tomatoes and cucumbers in the GH and will start my spring garden seeds this weekend. Hope everyone has a nice one...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #8985336

those do sound good podster. i love roasted veg's but didn't think of chips ?
oh and malted vinager tooooooooo mmmmmmmmm
woke up to snow
will melt by 4 pm today i imagine.
dh is off to a gun/ knife show. with the son.
so its me and the girly home.
off to feed chickens
bbl
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #8987226

Podster, those chips hold lots of possibilities. Mmm The fast lasts for 21 days. This Thursday is the last day.

Sue, hope that nasty white stuff is gone.

I am going through my seeds. I am deciding what I am going to plant and getting my planting calendar made out. I am also having my community swap again in April. Last year was the first year. Nobody here had ever heard of one and the weather turned out cold, windy and rainy on swap day. But low and behold people are asking me to do it again!! I feel like that is a victory for gardening. It got a few new people gardening last year and that was one of the things I hoped it would do. So many people here on DG were so good to donate seeds for my cause and I still have lots of those seeds because not many people could make it out to the swap. Another thing I was hoping to accomplish with the swap was to get good food on tables of families who are very low income. I hope to accomplish that again this year. So, that's what I have been busy with. My legs have been hurting pretty bad the last couple of days so I am putting my down time to good use.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #8987425

malted vinegar???? that does not sound good

i want to ask questions and comments but it is so late. i gotta go,,,hopefully i can later.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #8987885

There are so many kinds of vinegar I have never heard of and that is one of them. I used to think there were only 2 kinds, white and apple cider.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #8989727

Cajun sounds like a great idea to do again. we do somthing similar but we plant a row for our local food banks.
Malted vinager is more of a vinager used with fish and chips. i love vinagers so i love any kind. don't see it to often around here
i also have a white apple cider vinager i use to make my garlic jelly. its very sweet
well i got word of my mom , she has liver cancer, and well being the drinker that she was , not a mean drunk but a person who drank every night after work. never a sick day in her life ! but well it will take a toll on a liver after 50 yrs of vodka and wine.
So i m a bit still in shock. i guess. she seems in good spirits and will do a procedure where they go up through the groin in a vein and do the chemo that way ?
so she is a trial thing at Stanford .
they caught it early so they are very optimistic, but she does need to loose weight also. so she has her work cut out for her at the age of 77 yrs.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #8989962

I thought a glass of wine was good for the body with your evening meals?
I only drink a wine cooler once in a blue moon.
Sorry about your Mom taynors. She has a rough road ahead of her.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #8990033

well she drinks a bottle a night.. LOL i guess i should have specified. LOL
well this weather is crazy ain't it ?
woke up today to wonderful crisp morning full of sun , warmed up in the 50's and by 4 pm it was cold windy and raining grrrrr.
many of my plants are heaving out of the ground with all this freeze, thaw and rain. spent most the day digging them back in .
so i think they will be ok. hosta and astilbe are pretty die hard plants
chickens got to play out today
got 7 eggs today
i did make it to the gym today LOL and i m wiped out !! they worked my butt off ,
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #8990046

taynors, with all the work you already have to do, im surprised you find time to go to a gym,,,and work on top of working too.
I'm staying home.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #8990070

LOL a bit of the slow season at present moment. for my business, i get a bit antsy . the hips start to grow outward and not inward :(
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #8990385

And now off to February...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240490/

see you there

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America