Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: Somebody answered the door and let winter in!!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 336, Views: 3,407
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 2, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #8951370

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227607/

OK, I'm trying the new thread.

Cold and blowing. I'm trying to start some of the taxes. All of a sudden DH has decided the I need to get started.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #8951677

snowing cold and we are all inside.
doing my daylily homework, trying to see which ones i want this year . I can't find a purple one. :( the ones i wanted are all sold out. So it seems that purple daylily's are the rage this year ??? oh well.
canceled a hosta order . i just can't seem to pay $$$ for Proven Winner plants. i m cheap :)
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

January 2, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #8951996

Cold is the word here. I walk dogs at the humane Society for 3 hours today. I can imagine chasing calves in this weather.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #8952046

mooooooo :)
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #8952267

Yeah, the heat has kicked on more today, so I know it's colder outside. 23 at the moment. I woke up with a sore throat this AM so just went back to bed.

I only saw one movie over Christmas break (English version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). However good it was, you can't say it's a very uplifting movie. So I want to see something like We Bought A Zoo this week. Along with finding new fireplace screen, getting firepace wall painted, firebox painted, etc.

Purple daylilies, Sue? What ones are you looking for?

Hi, Bonnie. How is Florida?

Thanks for new thread, Janet!

Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 3, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #8952436

Sue, look at some of Curt Hanson's purples. Nosferatu, Beyond Thunderdome, Troubled Sleep, there's a bunch more I can't think of right now. I have quite a few of his and I know Juli had a bunch because I got some from her a few years ago. They're totally cold hardy.

Back to work today. I've certainly enjoyed the time off. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if I could have some more. Paid of course. And since that's not going to happen I guess I'll get my sorry butt moving.

Pat, I hope you get to feeling better. Sore throats are the pits. Shoot, anytime you don't feel good it's the pits.

Got to go to the dentis this morning. Already starting out the new year spending money...

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 3, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #8952442

Truly purple daylilies, especially if they're spidery, might encourage me to grow some, lol.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #8952528

Good morning, it is sunny, but looks like we brought the cold weather with us. The day we arrived it was 78, today it is going to be in the mid 50's. But a warming trend is in store for the weekend, Just getting settled, went to the grocery, and sort of scouting out the neighborhood to become familiar with what is here.

I will try to keep up on a daily basis.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #8952552

Good morning! Thanks Janet for the new thread!
Cold here too...was 17 when I got up!
But the sun is out now...hoping it stays out!
I better get busy at something!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #8952554

THe supplier i get mine from is all sold out. I do kick myself for not getting this order in earlier as i know they sell out by Jan. :(
i was looking for Strutters Ball and or Bela lugosi
Pat sure hope the throat feels better soon. i still have my cold hanging on and its annoying ! enough snot already ! sheesh. LOL
weather is cold !! a high of 18 at our house brrrrr. have to get some orders out to the post office.
we are still hoping for a refi to come in. we didn't make the original price the bank wanted us at with the appraisal, so we told them we are building a barn . We hope that will raise the appraisal back up . we are only short a few thousand !
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 3, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #8952642

Sue, how much Strutter's Ball do you need? Maybe we can work something out.

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 4, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #8953913

Major find yesterday! Got chocolate chips at Kroger for 75 cents and walnuts for $3 a pound. Got around 150 packages of chips and all the walnuts they had. Hopefully that should get me through the market season. Gotta save wherever I can. Now if I could just catch canning jars half price!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #8954163

Wow! on the chips and nuts, Janet. I went to the grocery yesterday evening & was wondering when and if the nuts were ever going to come down in price. They're still at the pre-Xmas price. Any other red and green was being demolished to make way for I don't know what. No Easter lilies yet. I bet a nickel that there will be summer lawn furniture in there the next time I go, LOL.

I spray painted the firebox last night with high-temp grill paint. The nice friend of Josh's who can't find work came over to put the primer on the fireplace wall today. Then the stone dude called to ask if they could come over and lay the hearthstone today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's really happening!
Pat
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

January 5, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #8955718

ky daylily.

Where is your Market ? Is it a farmers market?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #8955732

hooray Pat . we need pics too please :)
not much going on here
we are trading in our new bed for another one LOL this one is to soft ... LOL so we traded for a firmer one.
i mean i really smoosh down in this one.
sunny here but cold
went walking in our woods and found some other hunters are setting up blinds ect... don't know how and where are property ends so i m thinking that its not ours ? but one guy had a night camera attached to a tree... gosh i hope it wasn't on ? or he will see a person waving into it ROFLLL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #8956474

Good morning, sunny and bright this morning, with temps suppposed to be in the high 70's. We are going to the beach today, one that allows pets, The ones closest to us are not pet friendly. Hoping to do some shelling. Settled in right well, and trying to establish a routine. It is hard to do in a strange place. Yesterday we had found a dog park and took the dogs there. There are strict leash laws everywhere, and they were glad to finally be able to be off leash and romp around.

Hope everyone is well. Pat, can';t wait to see pictures of your fireplace. First thing here while unpacking, dropped my camera in the dog water bowl. It is functioning, but with some quirks. Hope it is allright. Will take it today and see if I can get it to work.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 6, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #8956959

That sounds like something I'd do...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #8957162

here is a post from Cookie. She has been busy with her dad. She said it was ok to post what is going on. I just thought you all would want to know and send her some healing prayers and well wishes.
On Friday, the 30th, I'm hooked up to the plasma machine, and my Dad calls me...he's crying so hard I can't understand him. I finally get him calmed down enough to tell me that he has fallen and busted his lip. He's on coumadin, remember. Sigh...so I call the clinic and they call the medics. I can't get a hold of Bill for 15 minutes after I got the call to go over there to be with him until I could get there. I finally do, and when I get there, they have him loaded up in the ambulance and they're heading to emergency. I don't know why I thought the end of 2011 would be any better than the rest of it! We were there from 2:00 until 8:00. He got 14 stitches (7 inside and 7 outside). He broke his top dentures. He has a cut eye and a bruised chin. He's sore all over. I had already planned to have him spend the night on New Years Eve, but I just brought him home with me and kept him here.

I started questioning him and he thinks he passed out. (Blood test showed another UTI) and he doesn't know how long he layed on the floor. So I've decided (with Bill's blessings) to keep him with me for January, and if everything works out, he'll move in full time with us.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 6, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #8957185

You're a good daughter, not many adult children would do that. It is my anecdotal observation that UTI's are very hard on older folks. My mother got one and ended up in the hospital for days, but it is how they found her HBP before she had a stroke. I tried to get my mother to move in here, or buy her the house next door, but she wouldn't consider it.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #8957677

I'm in agreement abt the UTI factor. Also, I learned when I worked in the Recovery Room that a full bladder can make people very restless. Most patients get a fair amount of fluid during surgery (or in Labor & Delivery), & the easiest cure for agitation was often a bedpan.

OK, here's some photos of the fireplace.

Here's the structure underneath the drywall so I can hang pictures at lots of different levels.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #8957678

The drywall is up in this one. Plus the floating mantle.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #8957680

The firebox has been painted.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
10:53 PM

Post #8957681

The firebox paint was still a bit dusty, so we put up some gift wrap on the firebox so we could get the primer on the drywall. Plus it kept Zoey from wandering around in there & getting her paws dirty.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #8957682

Here's a bit of detail on how the mantle is secured.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #8957683

And here's the almost finished product at the moment. They finished laying the granite yesterday, & today they put the grout in. Monday they'll come & put the sealer on it. I hope you can see that the granite is pretty attractive. I'm afraid my picture may make it look like the black hole of Calcutta!

Thumbnail by goshsmom

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #8957807

Very attractive Pat.

We are off to the grocery store and doing a little retail therapy. There is a Bealls Store just up the road and they are having a sale.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #8957811

Hi, just dropped in a bit. So glad the weather is nice! I am planning on adding more plants and doing some winter projects.

Has anyone made a barn quilt? I love traveling and seeing those down the roads.

Teresa

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #8957856

We are the center of barn quilts.
A couple were OK, now they are everywhere. Multiples in one yard.
People even putting up spotlights on them.
My neighbor says people drive right in the yard to take pictures. One lady wanted him to move his combine because it would screw up her picture.

There will be none on our place.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #8958277

Yikes on the Barn quilt thing.
We are getting ours up and should be done by next week. ! so excited
are you all sure this is January ???? its 50 out and sunny ... my plants are confused ? and so am i but i always am confused considering LOL

Thumbnail by taynors

salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 8, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #8959657

Pat, I got the Dragon Tattoo trilogy from Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed them. I don't think Hollywood will remake the other 2, not enough sex.
Isn't this weather great? I am seeing ground that has been under water for over a month. Snow drops are showing white. in the front yard. Been cleaning up the edges of the property the last 2 days, cutting, chipping and burning. Think I will skip the gym tomorrow, I"m too sore. But it's a good sore. I modified a suet feeder to keep starling starving. Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #8959906

Ohio is white & MN is brown, amazing!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #8960034

Herman, LOL abt the sex in Dragon Tattoo. Gross! To me, the sexiest scene in any movie is Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr dancing in the King and I.

Sue, looks like your contractor has a good start on the barn. Just don't let him start and then disappear, like my first fireplace guys did!

I liked the barn quilts that they did here in Ohio for the state bicentennial. Is everyone painting them now? My barn experience is pretty limited these days.
Pat

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #8960043

I am trying to research the best products to use to make a barn quilt. Also different sizes are important too. One lady said she used barn paint from Rural King for durablity. Another said chose a simple pattern with 2 colors work best.

This weather has been unseasonable warm. I am glad because I know the cold and snow will be here soon. So I am enjoying every day of it.

Teresa
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 9, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #8960114

Those barn quilts are pretty but around here a lot of them should be investing in some good poplar siding before they hang a quilt on the barn. That and rehanging their barn doors!

Wanted to get my blackberries pruned out yesterday since it was so pretty but I guess the man upstairs had other plans. I no more than got started and the older gentleman that helped us work on the house in it's early remodel stages pulled in the drive. I ended up spending the next 2.5 hours showing him the house and standing around talking. Oh well, it was a nice visit.

Still making salsa. I was going to make some strawberry jalapeno jelly this morning but didn't pay attention to the recipe. The peppers needed to be seeded and I didn't. Well, back to Save-a-lot for more peppers sometime today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to all!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 9, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #8960473

Bernie, that pic was taken last Thur. Since then the temps have been in the 40's. Looks more green than brown. I'm taking advantage of the early "January Thaw."
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 9, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #8960758

My brother plowed my garden today! Guess I'd better get my seed order in the mail.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #8961467

Janet, do you plant your dl seeds directly in the soil? Any in pots?

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 10, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #8961555

Sorry Teresa, I don't do any seeds at all. But I do know Kirchhoff and Morss plant their directly in the ground. So do Rices.

I wish I had a high tunnel. I'd get some early lettuce and other stuff in the ground. If wishes were fishes...
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

January 10, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #8961712

I have been thinkin of direct sowing some lettuce too.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 11, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #8963075

Apparently everybody's pretty busy here. Didn't get much done around here last night. DD wanted me to go with her to get an outfit for an interview she has coming up. Found a nice pair of slacks and a top that should do it.

Raining here this morning. At least it's not snow. My tomato seeds came in the mail yesterday. Sure can put a lot of tomato seeds in a little bitty package. I'll have to get my notebook out to see when I started the first flat last year.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #8963142

Popping in for a quick hello.

We've all been battling the crud since the first of the year. The school called Monday and asked me to pick Jazzi up. The lady in the office told me they have cases of strep in the middle school and chicken pox at the elementary. Everyone else is battling whatever we have with the headache and sick stomach or sore throat. It's been a fun 10 days!

Carly's been having a bit of a rough time on her basketball team, first with some of the kids, some with the coach and then there are the goofy refs who keep calling fouls on her when she doesn't foul. She's fouled out of the last two games with two actual fouls and three that weren't even fouls. Coach tells her they always like to pick on one person during a game and we all sure wish it wasn't her! She's only playing about half the game anymore and he says she's still the highest scoring player.

The one property we've been wanting is supposed to come out of the real estate contract this month. Still trying to figure out a way to get it. Kristenne is still at the other school. I've been offered a position on the soccer board there. The kids really want to go. Still working it out.

Craig is still at his job and doing well. They are talking about creating another department and putting him in it. This past week he's been helping the neighbor too with a custom computer/server/database thing.

This goofy weather has me wanting to get out to the greenhouse but I know old man winter isn't letting us off this easy! I've not even thought much about growing anything. Kind of down about spring and summer coming as my weed eater and lawnmower both bit the dust last year!

Did you guys see the freaky moon the other night? They say that is a sign of bad weather or a big weather change. Cue the rain that is supposed to turn into snow. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #8963154

For Christmas, I treated myself to a new vacuum as ours was on it's last leg! The hose no longer worked and it was burning a belt every couple of weeks. I actually purchased a pretty cheap one and got free shipping too! We got a Bissell Momentum and I'm shocked by the amount of dirt that thing sucks up! It's also bagless and very easy to empty.

I bought new pots too. Last time we got new pots, was when I worked at Target and we did a reset. They gave me the display models but I had to go home and chip all the glue off the bottom that holds them on the display. LOL Anyway, they were between 8-10 years old and there was no Teflon left. I got a set 1/2 off and they seem pretty nice! I just hope they hold up! I still have to pay off those and the vacuum but we need to rebuild our credit and we really needed both items!

I really, really wanted a pot rack because our sink keeps leaking and that cabinet is where we keep the pots and pans. I remembered we had a 1' white wire shelf in the garage so hubby spent $20 on odds and ends and poofed this up for me on Sunday. :) The photo is crooked, not the shelves. LOL I was leaning a bit because I was nauseated and dizzy. Bleck.

Thumbnail by Badseed

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #8963160

Good morning, it is cloudy and overcast here this morning, with a prediction of rain a little later in the day. They get excited about a possibility of 1/2 of rain, and a few degrees cooler, as if that is a big event. Wish they could all go and spend some time in Kentucky or Ohio, then they would know a weather event!

Need to go to the grocery to replinish some essentials, other than that, nothing planned for the day.

Take care.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

January 11, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #8963299

I have this lousy cold too. My DW just got over it so now its my turn.

My 3 grandchildren are all BBall players . The middle girl is the high scorer on her 4th grade team. She has really blossomed since she has found sports...volleyball, cross country and BBall.

In the meantime I am working on a presentation for my wifes gardening club. These presentations are a lot of work if done well.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 11, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #8963610

I got some Revere ware 33 years ago when we got married that is still being used every day. And I have a Dutch oven Revere ware that's probably 40+ years old that's still going strong. I hope the handles never fall off. I'm going to cry if I ever have to throw them away. I'll probably take them in the yard and give them a funeral.

I'm hearing snow for tomorrow???? Ok YUK!!!!

BTW, I had heard from others that jalapeno peppers from the grocery store weren't anything like the peppers that we raise or buy from the locals around here. They look the same but weren't as hot. Well, I can attest to that. I had to buy some over the weekend and was making my hottest salsa. I tried some before I put it in the jars and the darned stuff wasn't any hotter than my mild salsa. Who'd have guessed?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #8963632

Chelle that is a bummer about the ref's . We have the same problem. Actually our soccer president has the same kid on their team for the last 3 yrs in a row ??? hmmm if he is on her team again this upcoming soccer season . i will call her on it. That is just sooooooo childish and pathetic. IMHO. Don't really care but she always claims it a coincident ? yah NOT. Glad things are going good for Craig. Hope you all feel better soon.
anyhow
raining here.
bummer on the peppers Janet. nothing in the stores tast as good as the ones we grow :)
Bonnie stay dry and warm on your way to the grocery
sold all my stella daylilys hooray i can have more room in the GH !!! whooo hoooo
making salsa on thursday . wish me luck on that LOL
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #8963896

I've been puny, too, Chele. My informants (Cinti Public teachers) tell me they're all having lots of sick kids, too. Tis the season, I guess.

I like your pot rack and your new pots look pretty grand. Where would our civilization be with the s-hook?

I just found that my old house on Academy is completed with renovation & up for sale. It looks much the same from the outside, but inside it looks like they've taken out every wall on the first floor. I'm not sure what's holding the rest of the house up! I have to call & get in to see what they've wrought with it. They've painted the inside a really icky peach.
Which house is the one you're interested in, Chele? Is it the 40 acre one?
I'm one firescreen short of being ready to light a fire when it gets cold & snowy tomorrow. Yee-haw!
Pat
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #8964221

I am glad the weather has been nice for Jan. so far. I am in Nashville with my sister this wk.
She is in a clinical trial at Vanderbilt. We are staying down in the American Cancer Hope Lodge. It is a nice place to be and a blessing to all the families that drive in from the surrounding area or states.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #8964942

Teresa glad that you are able to be with your sister during the trials. I didn't know you had a relative with caner. So she will be in my thoughts and prayers.

We took the dogs to the dog park this morning, then dropped them off at the house, and we headed to the beach for a couple of hours. It is 78 and we did get some sun, and did some shelling. Enjoyed the time there.

Supposed to be a cold front moving through starting tomorrow, with temps in the upper 50's and low 60's all weekend. People seem to freak when the temps deviate even a few degrees cooler.

Will try to catch up and check in frequently now that I have a routine going.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #8966477

Well, I got home yesterday about the time it started snowing! We got about 1 1/2 inches. It is so cold too 20 degrees? My oldest only had rain in Boston. Just odd.

Teresa
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 15, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #8968511

Teresa, I hope whatever treatment that your sister is having works. Having sick family members takes a toll not only on the ones that are sick but all the loving ones around them.

Had market in Louisville and Lexington yesterday. Seemed to be about an average winter market. At least it keeps some of the beef moving out of the freezer. We have a steer ready to go but have to line up a trailer to get it to Bardstown. Right now we're in the market for a bumper hitch trailer so we can just haul a few back and forth between farms and take calves to Bardstown. We'll get a friend with his bigger trailer when we need to haul to the yard or the far farm.

Cooking off two batches of hot salsa. I figured maybe it would help open my sinuses and make this headache go away. Need to get my website updated and pay some bills. Nothing I'm thrilled to be doing today.

I thought I'd have tomorrow to do some stuff since we're off work but it looks like I'm taking DD and her friend to find her friend a prom dress. I haven't figured out how I got roped into that but oh well.

Where is everyone? Is this group falling by the wayside?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 15, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #8968574

I think everyone is either sick or busy...busy's better than sick, for sure.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 15, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #8968652

So much for Jan thaw. Temps dropped and stayed in the 20's with about 4 inches of snow spread over 3 days. Fri was the worst. Skipped gym. Stayed inside and puttered. Yesterday I tied up pussy willows that I forced and baked cookies. today I cut more to force. Will visit the florists on Tue.
One advantage of old age is that one gets immune to cold viruses. You can only catch a virus once then you become immune to that one. Also living alone limits exposure. So far I have remained healthy, knock on wood.
Herman
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #8969142

Thanks guys for the thoughtfulness. Kay has a rare type of cancer called leiomyosarcoma. Bad stuff.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 15, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #8969232

Teresa, I glanced through just a very little information on LMS since I'd never heard of it and having done disability claims since 1986 I've seen a lot of cancers. How the heck is this type of cancer discovered and diagnosed? Am I understanding that it's mosting in something like involuntary muscles? Does that mean that it could even be in heart muscle?
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #8969329

Teresa, Sorry to hear that your sister has cancer, buy glad that she's able to get into a clinical trial. Vanderbilt has a very, very good reputation. Hope the trials side effects are not too burdensome.

I'm feeling better from my previous post, & have been enjoying the snow flurries and my gorgeous fireplace. I went out & got a relatively cheap screen so I don't set the house on fire--- some of my wood is VERY crackly. Probably that *&@&%#@ locust tree that I had removed.

Nothing much else going on here.
Pat

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 16, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #8969633

Placing my JL Hudson seed order, then working out. I may cut and wrap a batch of caramels that I made for a pharma rep, if they're cool enough to cut.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #8969688

Theresa sorry to hear of the cancer . sending T&P for you and her.
Well i did do 18 jars of mild salsa and 5 hot for Tim.
no comparison to how many Janet does LOL she is the salsa queen.
did order my Bhut Jolkia hot pepper and discovered there is an even hotter one !!! oh pheuy.
got my seed orders in a bit late
Pat glad your feeling better.
well rain in the forecast today
rain = mud= muddy kids = muddy dog= muddy floors= more work for mom = yuk and back to bed. LOL ... yea i wish back to bed

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 16, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #8969717

Sue, from the perspective of a hot pepper fanatic, once you get as hot as the ghost pepper, they're all about the same heat-wise, it's only flavor difference. Is it chiltepin? Seven pot? Trini Scorpion?

You can teach your dogs to wipe their feet, or stand for you to do it. I do it that way, I just say "foot" and they pick it up and I wipe it. Super easy to teach, but kind of a PITN every time they come in. Better than washing my cream bedspread daily, though.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #8970350

Thanks for the concern. It is very windy here today. Temps are up a bit so I am hoping the winter will be mild.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 16, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #8970442

I thought I posted about you, I'm sorry...I've been keeping your family in my thoughts. *hugs* Cancer sucks.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #8970452

Celen yes its the Ghost Pepper. Lucy does pretty good with the feet, but she will lean in on me as i fall on my butt , then lick my face ect... you know the story LOL . I m just lazy .
so not much going on here
just house work and plants

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 16, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #8970456

Teach her to lay on her side? lol I'm lazy, too.

Ghost pepper = bhut jolokia. You got the right stuff.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #8970460

hmmm didn't think of that ,,, thanks :) i think as long as she gets her tummy rubbed she is in heaven. She will actually show me where to pet her ? with a nudge of her nose or a rotation of her butt. LOL sheesh.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 18, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #8972423

DH actually took me out to supper last night. Of course it took one of his lawyer friends coming in to do a hearing but I'll take it. Went to a little place in Versailles. I guess that's as close to France as I'll ever get in my lifetime. LOL!

Wind blew like a hurricane yesterday and there were tornado warnings all through Louisville. Seemed to follow I-64 but lessened by the time it got to eastern Shelby Co. and Frankfort. Took down a lot of trees and powerlines in Louisville. The kids had tornado practice at school. DD couldn't believe they were putting kids so far down the halls near the doors. Guess they didn't have anywhere else to put them.

Baking some breads this morning for market. It's slowed down a lot but I'll bake five or six batches a week. Sure is down for the 60-70 that I was baking during the summer. Still trying to get the website updated. I hate doing that kind of stuff and I'm dragging my feet. Sort of like starting my income taxes.

Everybody have a good day!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #8972500

We had lots of wind down this way. A small twister hit about 50 miles east. Ashton happened to be working in the area. Just thankful she was ok.

We plan on cutting some wood today. After a $340.00 light bill. I am guessing with all the extra Christmas guest doing laundry, cooking, ect. helped.

T
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

January 18, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #8972854

Took Daisy to the basement during the storm. I always feel silly doing it...but the tornadoe touched down about 7 miles from our house.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #8973004

so glad you all are ok .
such crazy weather we are all having this winter.
i m still sick, can't believe it
was out today doing errands
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

January 18, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #8973066

Yes Its crazy. I was out pulling weeds yesterday afternoon after the storm.
I hope you are feeling well soon.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #8973145

So glad everyone is OK. We have rain and WIND, WIND, WIND, but nothing serious. No tornado or hurricane here this time. I'm much quicker to go to the basement now than I used to be. Seeing the damage in Montgomery & Blue Ash up close and personal abt 10 years ago, plus having friends from Xenia, OH, has converted me to reasonable basement occupancy in storms. Plus, I'm reading a book on how people survive in extra-ordinary situations. One of the first reactions is disbelief, the "I can't believe this is happening," scenario. The book says that the people most likely to survive catastrophes are those who can move quickly from the disbelief stage to the "this isn't normal and I need to react quickly" mindset.

On a much more run of the mill note, I found a few bags of bulbs in the garage yesterday & got them planted. We'll see if anything shows up later this year, lol.
Pat
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #8976332

Well we got the Ice.
Not as much as the northern part of the county and areas north and west though.
I'll head out in a bit for some 'Ice Shots'.

As for 'Stupid Human Tricks' ...
Last night three drunk guys stole a car up near where we used to lived in Beavercreek.
Shot down the Hwy and lost it on the ice.
All three are hospitalized and Hwy 35 is still closed.
Good news is they didn't hit anyone else.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #8976507

Ric i heard about that , such a shame . i still to this day can't understand the human mind frame ? and that people can and will be that stupid ?
lots of snow here, kids and lucy had a great time in it. may attempt more snow play this afternoon. i m going to tae pics of the barn
bbl
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #8977096

Sue, is the barn finished?

Still in Florida, but will be coming home about mid week next week. I am sure that is going to be a shock to my system. It has been in the high 70's last week, and it is predicted again for next week. DH tells me that it really hasn't been that cold at home.

Maybe the winter won't last much longer, and we can get to planning our gardens before long. I know the first thing I will need to do is place a seed order so that I can get some seeds started.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #8977278

I know where Beavercreek is :) My SIL was stationed nearby a few yrs back.

Defoe, you are lucky to have some time in FL. My sister and I are planning a trip down to Pensacola in April. After her chemo treatments we are breaking it up and plan on stopping at the Huntsville and Birmingham Botanical Gardens.

Everyone have a great day!
Teresa

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #8977517

Barn will be done on monday i do have pics but i m off to a convention and won't be home until monday
i will catch up with you all later
have a good day

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 22, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #8977824

Teresa, that sounds like a lovely way to celebrate being done with chemo. So thoughtful.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #8978318

Teresa, I think that is an excellent way to celebrate the end of chemo. I certainly think that everyone will be glad for a much needed break.

I guess we will be heading home about mid week. DH called tonight and he is on his way down, and should be here Monday afternoon.

I am glad to be heading home, even if it is to colder weather. I am just not the relaxing for an extended period of time person.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 22, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #8978323

That makes me feel better, I'm not a relaxer either. My MIL bought me "loungewear" because she thought I should relax more. lol
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #8978354

Celene, just as if what we wear would make us actually do the things the names of the garments imply!!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 22, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #8978362

It was a nice thought from my MIL, she's sweet. Apparently, what I really need are elliptical trainer pants and housecleaning shoes or something.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 23, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #8979278

It was still nice and warm at noon when I went out. Absolutely amazing that it's the middle of winter and I can run errands with just a sweatshirt on. I think that's about to change but I'll take what I can get.

Visited my parents after church yesterday morning for a few hours. I was going to trim out the blackberries but at noon it was still chilly out and I was against being uncomfortable doing outside work that could be put off so I helped DD shovel out her room for a while. When I went out around 4:00 I figured out it'd gotten warmer and I'd lost another prime opportunity to do some outside work. Oh well, it'll get done sometime.

Make some raspberry peach and peach jam this morning. Trying to get the freezers cleaned out but I'm afraid I'm going to run out of pint jars before I get done. There's still one freezer full of tomatoes and corn yet to do and no jars in Frankfort or Shelbyville. I need to get some folks to check around Lawrenceburg and a couple other places. Always something.

Got corn relish to go in the jars tonight. Back to work...
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #8979626

Celene---LOL. Be sure & let me know when the motivational clothes-- that actually work-- come on the market.Actually, I do remember feeling very "nursy" and ready to go when I had my student uniform on. One piece uniform, ugly cap, white shoes, watch with a second hand and cheap white stockings= showtime! (I guess-- maybe it was just that I was younger.) One of our instructors told ud to get the cheapest type of stockings, becaise they could get tears in them & still not run. In your pockets you carried alcohol wipes, scissors, hemostats, a rubber band, and a large safety pin. That was enough to take care of most basic problems.

Janet, I am awestruck at your energy. Must be that pioneer blood in your veins. I have pioneers in my family tree, but they must have had blodd transfusions by the time it got to
me :-)

Zoey got spayed today. Our housecall vet came & did it at the house. She's grumpy because of the "lampshade" collar, but seems pretty good otherwise.

Pat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #8979648

Pat that can't be a fun choice of jewelry for her to wear ,poor kitty.
back home from our trip to the convention
got some new hosta
other then that its windy !! and cold brrrrr.
hope the chickens are ok. i didn't feed them since it was to dark . ain't no way i m going out thar in the night way to dark.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 24, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #8980155

Gee Sue, that's what those big mag lights are made for, to slug anything that gets in your way in the dark! This time of year it seems like everything we do is in the dark. Did the barn get finished? Wish someone I know would repair some of ours...

They're loading another trailer of cows to go to the yard this morning. A bunch of open cows. I think they'll have a load of steers and heifers next week. We need to desperately trim the mouths we're feeding. The feed bill is draining us dry.

Pat, it ain't energy, it's stupidity. Things just sort of escalated from selling a few daylilies at a farmer's market to going full steam. We want to try to do more vegetables this year as one of my best markets is vegetable driven. We've got a neighbor that has a plastic layer and a setter that will set through plastic so hopefully that will help with the increased production. The only drawback is that by using plastic you have to lay irrigation t-tape. That limits where we can plant. Hope Kitty is better.

Bonnie, are you home yet?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 24, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #8980302

Do you have some spidery or purple or weird daylilies? I've been wanting to try some, I know DG won't let you post a business link, but if you have a site, please PM me. I'm a total newbie with daylilies, but would prefer weird and/or fragrant ones :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #8981210

No Janet, still in Florida, but will probably be leaving at the end of the week. Do I really want to come home weather wise? Today it was 81 and we spent a good bit of time at the beach! I want to go again tomorrow, but may have to go by myself as DTS got a bit too much sun today. We will have to plan lunch right after I get home. Want to show off my tan! No, need to catch up on news.

Celene, I have some spiders that I could swap for something you have. Or maybe talk to Janet, as she sells, and maybe can work out a deal. Mine would be strickly a swap.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 24, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #8981245

I'd swap you for some stuff :) But I probably will want to look at stuff to buy, too.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #8981406

Thanks for all the good wishes, but I should have specified that Zoey is the dog. The cats are Peach, Patch and Bruiser. I did go out and get Zoey a thing that is like an inflatable neck pillow, because she couldn't maneuver to get a drink or eat in the lampshade thingamajig. It keeps her from licking her stitches but she can see and eat & drink in it.

Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 25, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #8981461

Oops! Either way, hope all the animals are doing well! Back on Christmas Eve one of our dogs, Sadie, who is what I call "middle aged" tried to follow the younger dog, Zip, when she jumped over the side of the P/U truck. Unfortunately when Sadie pushed off the side, her foot slipped down into the hole where the truck racks go and she was basically hanging upside down down the side of the truck. The kids rushed to get her out but we thought she broke her leg so $250 later the vet said he thought she had a torn tendon and put her in a cast for two weeks. She's still limping and who knows, maybe always will but that doesn't slow the old fat dog down too much.

Didn't feel much like doing anything more than fixing supper last night. I think part of that is due to the fact that DH is building some major shelving in the basement for all my market canned goods and had every freezer down there stacked up with "stuff". I hate moving "stuff" off a freezer to get in it so I just ignored the whole mess and did nothing. It there's still a mess down there I might do it again tonight.

Bonnie, we definately have to have lunch. Yes, it's warmer where you are but honestly, with the exception of just a few days, we aren't having winter yet. If you bring it back with you we might have to send you back to FL. The only problem with this warmer winter is I'm afraid we're going to be over run with bugs this coming summer. Oh well.

Better get to work. Have a good day all!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 29, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #8986452

Well, we're either a very busy bunch this winter or a very lackadaisical one. Am I the only one left on Daves and no one told me????

Did market yesterday. Had to set up outside due to the Cub Scouts already laying claim to the gym. I was afraid it was going to be a very miserable day but by around 10:00 the sun had come out and while quite chilly it was pleasant. Course I had on my long johns and several top layers plus my long goose down coat. At least when I got home I wasn't trying to constantly nudge the furnace up trying to get warm. Believe it or not, I still have fresh turnips and kale for market. So far we're really dodging the bullet this winter.

Been to church and I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to do some stuff outside or get the pots out and make a batch of salsa. My sinuses say salsa but we'll have to see.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #8986461

im still here Janet. just been busy
girl scout cookie season is apoun us... sigh... i don't have any self control on that , them cookies are gooood.
i have to get my stuff in the freezer canned up or dehydrated. just got lazy.
don't want it to go to waste . so this week that is my projects
my blueberries went to crap... sigh... they just got dry and nasty. in the freezer to long . didn't vac and seal them i know better but didn't do it. duh ?
off i go
bbl
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #8986886

I am home. We got home about 9 p.m. Friday night. Yesterday we had to take the rental car back, went to the grocery to lay in some food, and before we knew it, the day was gone. I slept like the dead Friday and Saturday night. Called my sister and told her that the construction forman would be by to collect that slab of concrete that I have been sleeping on for a month. All the furniture in that house was uncomfortable. So glad to get home where I can sit and watch tv in comfort.

The house was clean when I got home, thanks to DS and his SO. They came out on Thursday aand cleaned and it was nice to come into a house that was clean and organized.

Maybe now that I am home I can stay caught up here.

Janet, in my mail, I have a summons to serve on the grand jury beginning on Feb 2, so that will have to get out of the way before we can plan lunch.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 29, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #8986974

I got a grand jury summons beginning Jan 1. Nobody has killed anyone here lately, so haven't served yet!
From what i have heard grand jury is way better than regular jury duty.
Bonnie, it is always nice to be back home.
Bernie

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #8987081

glad to have you back Bon's
got word that Cookie is out on a pontoon boat with her dad and bro. having a good time in the gulf. They are spending quality time together.
its a good thing
not much here
Did you all know that ohio is a zone 6 a ? this winter my plants are so confused ? to many thaw / freezes. sure hope no plants get rot.
this week our area may be in the mid 50's hmmmm i guess this is the global warming they talk about ? eh .
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #8987548

Janet, I hate to hear that your dog was injuried. Pets are a big part of my life. Just love animals. I have one Lab now, 2 cats outdoor. One likes to come in an lounge by the fire, he always goes to the door when ready to back out. We do the feeding at Mom and Dad's so the angus cows almost seem like HUGE pets, they know what a white bucket means lol.

Defoe, glad you made it back to KY. I am looking forward to a trip to FL it has been at least 3 yrs. since I have visited. I am taking Kay back to Vanderbilt this week. We will be back on Thursday. Chat later have a good wk

Teresa

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 30, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #8987623

Oh Bonnie, what a wonderful present to return home to! A couple years ago I was on regular jury duty and never had to go a single time except for the first day. I don't think you're going to be that lucky but if it's like Shelby County, you'll be touring the schools, jail and whatever other public building there is around. I always like the grand jury reports on the restrooms! LOL!

DH finally got a trailer lined up and got a kill date for the massive monster in the barn. He should have been ground round way back in December. I told DD that the roasts will probably have to be cut in 3 pieces instead of the usual 2.

Didn't do much yesterday except go to church and run the sweeper. I did clean some in MIL's basement. Washed some of the plastic crates and set them to dry plus edited some of the daylily pictures for the website. If I'm lucky, I can get the pricelist done and get everything to the guy that does the website. Need to get that done.

Teresa, I saw a dog that could be your dog's brother on Saturday. They called him "Moose". I swear his head was as big as the bull's that's down in the front pasture!

Hey Bernie! Got your seed ordered yet? I ordered some from Jordan's this year. Never tried them before. Got the rest from Bunton's in Louisville. I think I"m going to start some tomatoes here in a few days. I'm hinting to DH for a high tunnel for this fall. We'll see.

Sue, I think I'd just forget what that plant map says and just keep on protecting things however you've done in the past. I try to buy stuff that's hardy to at least zone 5 just so I have a chance of keeping them alive when we have those wild dips to 15-20 below zero.

Off to work before I'm late. Everybody have a good day!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #8987671

Don't plan on buying a high tunnel, just keep your eyes & ears open. Put wanted ads in shoppers & Craigs list.
That's what I did over the years. I now have 6 greenhouse frames. The highest price was $1800 for a 24 x 60.
Our biggest is 30 x 96 & was only $500.
Make sure you use "greenhouse" & not high tunnel in your ads.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 30, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #8987803

The guy who runs my CSA buys lots of his GH's on Craigslist. He only had one issue, ever--someone sold two GH's that were part of a foreclosed property, but he ended up keeping them with only one ugly attorney phone call.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #8988494

I did grand jury duty several years ago. It was kinda fun, actually. Plus you could often knock off early because even in CIncinnati they didn't have enough criminals to require our attention until 4 pm. The hardest was trying to remember which amount of drugs was huge & which was just a pinch. I did have an advantage there, & was explaining illegal drugs so much that I had to tell people that I only knew about it due to my halfway house work!

We've had a rough day here, pet wise. My cat Peach got sick last week, & had terrible results on her bloodwork. The vet boarded her for a few days but it was obvious she was dying, so I had him bring her back home & put her to sleep here. Last night, some very good friends had to put their Yorkie, Clarabelle, to sleep. So we dug a really big hole & buried Peach and Clarabelle in the back yard near Alice, DS's tibetan terrier who died abt 6 months ago. I said that's enough, if we have to bury any more I'll have to plat out the back yard & put section markers in the ground!
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #8988495

Well, I clicked on the wrong thumbnail. This is a pic of Bruiser on the left, and Peach on the right, in better days.
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #8988694

Pat, I am so sorry to hear of your having to put down Peaches. Beautiful cat by the way. Seems like things like that run in cycles. While I was gone one of the littlest dogs, Daisy Mae died and is buried in our pet cemetery. Like you, we may have to mark it out and put up names there. When there was only one burial, it was easy to remember, but we have 5 there now. Too many lost. DGD called me at 3:00 a,m. in Florida to tell me that Daisy had died, she was heartbroken. She loves all animals, and can find redeeming qualities in them that others find it hard to see.

Well, Instead of Thursday for jury duty, it is tomorrow. DH and I went to Lexington and he asked me about the date, and we sort of batted it back and forth, each of us knowing that we were right, he said tomorrow, I said Thursday. When I got home, the letter said Jan. 31. Also said to call this number the night before. Well I called, and my name was listed as having to report. So off I go early in the morning. Hope that all the cases get settled before I have to sit on a trial.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 30, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #8988718

It's been a mild winter up here so far. Whatever snow comes goes in a couple of days. Forecast is for 50's this week. If I had a sugar maple, I'd tap it. Silvers aren't sweet enough. Still haven't got rid of last year's rain. Either need a month of drought or a week of below freezing weather so I can get into the back 40. If I have to I'll get some electric socks. Wading in 32 degree water to cut willow is not my idea of fun. I have forced some black and fantail, but much more to cut. The pink is so far advanced, 2 days in the house and they are ready to dry.
In the pic, I put a stick to mark the high water after the snow melt last year. It grew and has catkins under the snow.
Sorry I hadn't posted for so long. Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man

salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 30, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #8988722

Wrong pic. That is a starling proof suet rack. Pat, don't feel lonely. H

Thumbnail by salix_man

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #8989326

Hi everyone...I'm still reading.!
Nice to see what everyone is doing. I just dont have much to talk about?
We don't do much in the winter, except run around...and clean house.
Oh..we have been going to Ashley's basketball games on Saturday afternoons. The one last Saturday was terrible.
One of the girl's parents got into an argument with the refferee...who wasnt actually a real ref..but still. They(the refs) were from the team we played...from their town...and the calls they were making were really bad..for us...and not fair either. Plus one of them was laughing about it. Well anyway..this parent said something to this one ref...and the ref said something back...then it got hot n heavy...and the parent jumped up and went for the ref. It took 6 of our guys to pull him off and get him out the door! What a thing for the girls to see. They were all in tears.
The ref pressed charges against the parent ...so he was taken to jail.
And we lost the game...20- 23.
I do hope the girls (and parents) learned a lesson there. You cant bad mouth the refs...or touch them...or you are out the door!
I got some solar LED lights to put on my arbor...so might try and put them up today if it's not too windy out for me. I just hate the wind!
Ok...better get busy here!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 31, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #8989715

Such a warm day I took the afternoon off to work outside. I got the briars cut on the blackberries but didn't get them all pulled out and on a pile. Still that's more than I had done before I started.

Saw one of the market vendors at a local eatery. She gets a job in the winter waiting tables. She said they've seeded 6000 tomatoes and 2000 peppers so far this year. Makes my 500 just a drop in a bucket. They've got 60 CSA's and are going lettuces for a place in Lexington. All I can say is they're going to WORK this summer. And I thought I had probably lost my mind buying around 20 bundles of onion this year. I've never raised them like this before so I hope I don't totally mess this up. Bernie, do you hand plant all your onions or do you have some secret weapon? All comments welcome.

Better get back to the kitchen. Got two batches of salsa on the stove.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #8989756

Hi all,

I haven't posted for so long, that I thought I'd better make an apperance or you all would would think I kicked the bucket. We had a great time over Christmas in Texas with the grandchildren. Haven't done too much since then. I've been waiting on one final paper to do our taxes and it came in the mail today. So I will get started on them soon.
A week ago Saturday evening, I had an attck of intestinal bleeding and passed out . Poor Dave tried to catch me as I went down, but I took him down along with me. He got me to come around enough to get me in the car, and tore out of the driveway like a bat out of hell. That was the night it was so icy here. I guess he did okay, because he got me to the ER and then I was sent by ambulance to Columbus Hospital. I was discharged Wed. AM. I feel a lot better , but I still feel like the old dishrag that has been wrung out and hung out to dry. The gastroenterologist thinks it was a severe stomach virus, but they aren't sure. I did react well to the antibiotics, so hopefully that was all that was wrong. My other two episodes were of unfounded origins and were much worse. This time I onlty needed one unit of blood. So all and all, I was fortunate, I quess.

I feel all stoved up and need to go to the chiropractor . I think they might have had me in some unnatural positions trying to get me from gurney to bed and gurney to CAT scan, and Gurney to bed etc. I kept thinking I'd get all straightened out by myself, but I don't think so now. LOL

Love reading and following you all on your posts and think about you alot. Lou

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #8989764

sending healing thoughts to you Lou. sorry you are going through this. many ((())) to you

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #8989802

The secret of planting onions is our Troy Built tiller. It makes the soil so loose they go in with no effort. All are planted by hand.
I think we planted 11 cases last year. Roughly 2000 to a case.
I planted 4 plants showing workers how to do it!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 31, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #8989838

Lou, I hope that you're on the mend!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #8990052

Sorry to hear that you had quite the scare with the stomach problem. Glad that Dave acted quickly and got you to ER to be treated. I need to go to the chiro too. I had made an appointment for tomorrow, and then got that jury summons, so cancelled it. I got chosen then struck by the prosecutor. Seems DH's nephew is currently under indictment for something, so the Ethington name is not too well received at the court house right now. Makes no difference to me, just means that I don't have to sit there to see if I will be called. Maybe another chance as this term serves through March.

Janet, that is a bunch of onions, call me and I will come help when you get ready to put them out. I have planted them for the past 3 years. Still have onions that I am using. We will plan lunch, but understand that until the jury duty is over there is a chance that I will have to cancel if called. I will call you later in the week.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #8990284

Lou, that sounds pretty scary. Hope you get your blood thickened up to normal soon. I think the hospitals ought to give people who have to lay on those stretchers a free chiro visit. They are BAD! When we had the really big blizzard in the late 70's, I got stuck at Miami Valley Hospital where I was working labor and delivery. It was absolutely clear when I went to work, and by 7 am, nothing was moving. I stayed there 3 days I think. We took turns sleeping in the labor rooms and man, even the labor beds were miserable!

Bonnie, thanks for the sympathy. At this point, I'm just relieved that Peach isn't suffering anymore. And kind of sorry that I hadn't figured out a little earlier what was going on.

Herman, sorry I infected you with the "post wrong picture" virus. I'm embarassed that the wrong picture I posted has more weeds than flowers in it! But those lilies that Chele gave me have such a gorgeous color!

Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 3, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #8992965

Holy cow Lou! You've been busy in all the wrong ways! Hope things have taken a better turn.

Pat, sorry to hear about Peach. We really get rather attached to our pets. It's really gotten that way with these two dogs around here. The oldest one will go everywhere with you if you let her and the younger one, which is not much bigger than a 2 year old child, likes to crawl up in your lap like those little yappy dogs and sleep while you're watching TV. They both think it's their God given right. And we let them get away with it.

I'm seeding some radishes and lettuce right now. Trying something that's probably too labor intensive for the money but I want to play in the dirt. I've planted some in the little 4 cell packages. I figure that I can plant the lettuce in the garden and it'll have a head start on the rest. We'll just have to see what happens. TSC had those 4 shelf greenhouses for $20 last week. They're usually between 40-50 so I bought another one. I also have some low hoops that I'm going to put plastic over. It'll be something to piddle with. Still got salsa and barbeque sauce to get made. Got to clear out the freezer. I think there's still stuff for corn relish in there too.

Off to work!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

February 3, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #8993956

Janet, You never know what will work until you try. That is the best part of gardening. Herman
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #8998254

I'm lonely for our formerly chatty list! Is it something I said? The February blahs?

I went to see the house I lived in before this one. It had been abused, abandoned, and then foreclosed. The local neighborhood association bought it & fixed it up. By the time they got around to it, all the copper, leaded glass, & fixtures had been removed. Then the reno company managed to obliterate every other nice feature of the house. They took out all the pocket doors & the original wood flooring and put in laminate flooring & made it an open plan floor plan. They removed all the radiators and put in forced air heating--- that was a real improvement. They relocated the powder room so that it now faces the front door! Guess that door will remain shut at all times, & hopefully no visitor will mistake it for a coat closet & open it on an unsuspecting occupant!
What was wierd was how small everything looked. My realtor & my friend Mimi who went to see the renovations with me were the first to say something about it. When we started ticking off all the furniture that I'd had in there--- it looked like yu could put a couch & a rocking chair & it would look full.
After all my griping & moaning, I had to stop & take a picture of the house next door. The owner has probably put 6 years worth or work in on this. It was formerly covered in icky siding. So he pulled all of it off & uncovered the original VIctorian fish scale shingles, etc. And then he must have bought his paint from the "oops" shelf at home depot. It's awful! Doesn't match the original brick color, and I suspect that no one on the block needs a nightlight: looks to me like it probably glows in the dark!
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #8998441

OMGosh Pat, that paint is hidious. Maybe a softer paler yellow would compliment it, but that is almost neon!

I think most of the regulars on here are over at the other newest place. I can't afford to explore the alternate places because I would get nothing done excpt be on the computer.

Went to the chiro this morning, and came away in worse shape than when I went. First thing in the morning, I am calling and telling them I need an emergency appointment to get things back into the right place. I have taken some pain pills and am heading to bed.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #8998510

I see all kinds on Facebook. I hate it! You have a million "friends" you don't have the foggiest idea who they are.

Real nice paint job. When you move from a house, never look back, remember it the way it was.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 8, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #8998953

Know what you mean Bonnie. I can't be on every site that comes along. I'm a choose one and stick with it person. I know this one costs money and I guess the other one's free so that's probably part of the reason for some.

Hope the chiropractor gets things back in order. Hurting like that's the pitts.

Pat, that picture needs to go down in the halls of the "What were they thinking" awards. While those colors look fine on a high school gym floor I would cringe every afternoon if I drove in the road to that every day. Was there a sale on paint at Goodwill? Had to have been for them to even consider that paint selection.

Bernie, it snowed here this morning. Got any yourself?

Herman, I put the radishes and lettuce out last night. We'll let you know in a few weeks how it goes.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 8, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #8998960

I have snow, but not very much. It's too warm for it to stick.

Off to get a haircut...it's a haircut or a dog license.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #8999027

No snow. They say maybe some next week.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

February 10, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9002075

Here comes the snow. Started when I left the gym at 1, but still hasn't covered the lawn. Prediction from 3 to 7 inches by tomorrow night. I was hoping the cold would make the ice thick enough that I could walk on it but the snow will probably insulate it. If I were to slip and fall I'd break through and not only my feet would get wet. But the willow cuttings won't fall in water. A big plus.

Other than that not much doing here. I have a real good crop of bitter cress starting to bloom.. Problem, if I wait until the weather is warm enough to use RU it will have formed seeds.. Pull or chop I must.
Herman
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9002430

Herman, I was just looking at how many sticker weeds I had growing to their full, malevolent glory all over my yard and flower beds. I'm still hoping that this spring is earlier, warmer, and especially drier than 2011!

The Ferrari Red amaryllis I got in early December surprised me by producing another set of 4 blooms. This is the first time I've had an amaryllis, but I sure didn't expect it to bloom again.

I'm doing a 1000 piece jigsaw pauzzle at the moment. I had it 80% done yesterday and then knocked the puzzle board over with my purse. Now it's about 50% done, with no one to blame but myself.
Not much snow on this side of town, but very slippery roads. I had to go out to pick up my teacher sister, who'd been at a conference, and on my way down Westwood Northern boulevard, a truck on the other side of the road had run into a telephone pole, which was down at a 45 degree angle with the road. Didn't look like the driver was hurt, & no power lines down, but there were tons of cars coming up the hill that couldn't see they were going to have to wait awhile. Not too many places to turn around at that spot.

My son Josh goes to England on Sunday, just for a week. It's a work trip, with not enough time to do any sightseeing. :-( He is meeting a friend of mine who now lives pretty much in the UK full time, so that's one dinner he can have with someone he knows.

Drive carefully if you go out, it's gonna be slick!
Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 13, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9004992

Pat, spilling that puzzle would have had ugly words coming out of my mouth. Wouldn't have been a happy camper. Hope Josh has a good trip. Too bad there won't be time to look around.

Market Saturday was terribly slow for me. Worst this season. I think it was because there was a UL ballgame coming on at noon. Lexington did much better. Oh well, we'll hope next week is better. I suspect after these last few days that'll be the last of the kale and turnips. We only have 2-3 winter squash left. I guess I'll have to plant more this summer if I want to make it through the entire year.

So far my little low tunnel is doing ok. I've got a good stand of radishes and there's some cells of lettuce that's sprouted. It was reasonably warm under there yesterday when I checked on them. I'd actually figured that with 18 degrees that everything would have died. Didn't really have any snow to speak of but there were a few slick places Saturday morning.

Well, we've done it. We bought a neighbors plastic mulch layer, water wheel setter and mulch lifter. I don't think the layer had been used maybe two years. I think it's a raised bed layer. I got my seed in this past week so I guess it'll get a workout this summer. The fellow that raised all my cabbage and broccoli transplants has quit. DD's FFA teacher said he would put some in their greenhouse but I'd have to supply the seed. No brainer there. Now if he just follows through. I guess if he doesn't there'll be plenty of plants out there somewhere.

Fixed supper last night for some Australian 2-3rd cousins. A 19 yo and a 21 yo. young ladies. They've been roaming around the US for over a month and still have about another month to go. I haven't figured out how the Australians come up with so much money to travel. We've entertained several of that side of the family over the years and they've traveled extensively. I guess I spend too much money on frivilious things.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9005075

Good morning, have spent the better part of the morning balancing check books and paying bills. Nothing much going on here. WL's are saying the current cold spell is over and we will have temps in the 30's for the nighttime. Suits me.

Janet, will give you a call tonight, lunch prospects look good this week.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9005235

Popping in for a quick hello.

My sub ran out last month and I had to wait to purchase a new one.

I feel awful today. Jazzi missed three days of school last week with a stomach bug. Maddie came down with it Friday. Nolan got it Saturday and today it's me. bleck.

We had another plumbing mishap last week and didn't have water for the better part of two days. That is fixed now but the line to my outdoor fixtures will have to be reconnected when it warms up.

I'm still looking for a property in the other school district so I can get the kids moved. It's too late now to transfer them without having an address in district. I'm waiting to hear back on one we've wanted for about 5 months. The real estate contract finally ran out and the owner is considering private financing.

Other than that, it's all life as usual.

Hope everyone is warm and well!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9005396

Good to see you Chele. You should have let somebody know about the sub, then it would have given us a chance to gift it to you!

Will be praying about that house. Tell Melissa to pop in and let us know what is going on with her.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9005661

Uh-oh. I just heard from Josh and they lost his luggage. So he has no clothes, no camera, no computer & phone cords, etc. He was flying with his boss and they lost the boss's luggage too. They changed planes at O'Hare in Chicago, which I believe is something of a black hole of calcutta for luggage. So much for pictures, but at least it happened to both of them so the boss decreed that they take off early to pick up an extra shirt, toothbrush, etc.

I'm going to pray to St. Anthony, the patron of lost things. Might help, won't hurt sorta thing.
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9005733

Pat, I will pray, but know nothing of St Anthony, the "big guy" is who I address my prayers to! That is the pits though to be on a trip with no luggage. It happened to my sister one time we flew to Austin. She borrowed a pair of panties from me that night when she showered, and the next morning at 7:00 a knock on the door of the hotel, and her luggage was delivered. So that trip ended well. However, she has had lost luggage several times and it has been delivered to her home. Usually lost on the way home, thank goodness. Will probably jinx my luck by saying how lucky I am not every to have had that problem.

How is Ohio weather? Any snow forcast for you all tonight? We are supposed to get about 2 inches, but on the very edge of that line, so will probably get nothing.

If I don't get back early tomorrow, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to everybody.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 13, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9005761

We're supposed to get maybe 1" here in Cow-lumbus.

I'm still getting over Valentine's Day...it's my father's birthday and it makes me a little sad. I'm going to cheer myself up by winter sowing, and making one of the cakes that he used to like.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9005785

((hugs)) to you Celene.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 14, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9006161

Bonnie, I meant to call you today but left your number at home. I'll give you a ring either this evening or tomorrow.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 14, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9006272

Thanks defoecat. :)
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9006670

Thank you, St. Anthony, Josh should have his baggage before 9pm London time tonight. Bonnie, I know what you mean abt the Big Guy, but my only analogy is that sometimes -- say if I were staying in a hotel-- if I need a little shampoo for example, I'd rather ask the staff rather than speaking to the manager. Theologically incorrect, but it's how my brain works.

I finished the 1000 piece puzzle-- now 999 pieces courtesy of Zoey finding one piece before I did. Since then I had have a fierce crick in my neck. I've tried every trick I know & it is just &$*(#)(*@*$(*$###. I guess I'm just literally a pain in the neck.

((((((Celene)))))))

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 14, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9006776

Today was kind of okay, for the first time since my father died. I attribute it to your well wishes :)

I'm glad the baggage turned up--it superduper sucks to lose it.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9007019

Pat, when I was in Florida, there were a big stack of jig saw puzzles sitting on a shelf in the dining room, so me and my sister said, lets work one. Ha! been years since I tried that, and it was evident within 45 minutes if I continued working on that I would permanently cripple my neck. So we got the box and swept all the pieces back inside and put it nicely back on the shelf. There are many things that old bones do not like to do!

I have been having trouble with my neck, shoulder and arm, and have been going to the chiro at least twice a week. I see him tomorrow, and have also scheduled a massage.

Celene, I am glad to hear that today was a bit easier for you. Eventually you will remember those dates fondly, and think about all the good times and memories that you have. It gets easier every year. I still miss both my parents, but it is in a different way now. Not the raw hurt that just clutches your heart. That is replaced with memories and the rawness is gone.

We went out to eat tonight. Since it was a disagreeable day, I asked DH if he would rather wait till a better weather day/night. But we soldiered on. Both of us have been sitting in our recliners since we got home, dozing!

Rain predicted for later in the week. If this is winter, then I think I can survive it.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 14, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9007134

We stayed in and had a not very special meal, but I made DH's favorite chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.

Anyone heard from Ric? I have some Aristolochia seeds for him...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9007432

Hi and Huggs to you all.
Haven't posted much...not much to say?
Can't wait till spring...I really dislike winter very much...even though it has been a mild one here.
I read what you all have been doing...just nothing to post about .?
Take care all.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9007917

Marcy, good to see you pop in. I was wondering about you and if you and Dave had stayed well this winter. There isn't much to talk about, but I jabber away anyway.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9008047

We enjoyed watching the dog show the last couple of nights. I know that they're not juding anything viewers can see-- bome structure & suchlike & how it conforms to the breed standard-- but it's always fun to see what the different dogs look & act like. Plus we start talking abt dogs we've known or had, & end up rooting for some just based on their looks or attitude. The Pekingese that won wasn't my favorite-- I was wowed by the Irish Setter and the Doberman-- but it was fun, nonetheless. Do you watch those shows, Celene?

CHeers,
Pat
salix_man
Barberton, OH

February 15, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9008203

Number 4 DD lost her luggage once and her Husband works for the airline. My back yard is slowly showing up. Was pretty well frozen Mon when I cut some fantail. Has thawed and dried since then. More rain tonigh and in the AM. Next 4 days are predicted to be sunny. I'll know better on Tue. Prety calm here. Made some Deliveries for a florist for V-Day. Nice to be back in harness even a little bit. Still trying to wear out the machines in the gym. They are tougher than me. Herman

Forcing fantail in the living room

Thumbnail by salix_man

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 15, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9008265

My mother was a dog show judge, so I've seen plenty. I enjoy watching Westminster and the other big shows for a bit, but I'm more of an obedience person than a conformation person, so I watch those more. Sadly, they're much less televised.

Insurance companies suck. I donated bone marrow in 1991, and my insurance company sent me paperwork to request those records, when I have had not one single complication, ever. If insurance companies start targeting donors, it's going to make it harder to find donors than it already is. I think they'd just rather not pay for transplants.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9009543

Hello, just popping in to say hi. Hopefully, today will be warmer and the ground not so mushy. I have been trying to walk and lose a lbs. Now that I am home I have more time to do what I want between dr visits with the folks.
So of course I add about 30 new dls for Spring delivery. Plus, I have won some interesting seed crosses to play with. Not the smartest move now that I know about the lupus. A lot of stiffness, but Brett will help get the dividing of old ones and the new ones planted.

Chele, I remember the days when all my bunch was home and the virus moved from one to another, not fondly either. Take care of yourself too.
Hard to believe I am an empty nester. Well, kinda last wkend Brett and GF came home from Murray State and this one Bethany and her BF.
Here is a pic of my 20 yr old babies lol
Everyone have a great day!
Teresa

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9009707

Beautiful children (shhh, don't tell them I said that) I can't believe that my only son will be 46 this July. Ack, not possible to jive with the story I tell of being only 52. I don't think I have gotten by with that story for a few years.

Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with lupus. I hope they are manageing it as well as it can be. I know that there are flares that come out of the blue, and puts you off your feet for a time. I have a friend who has it, and she can go for months feeling really good, then bam!

If I don't get DH's help in dividing my DL's, I will hire a teenager to help with that. I surely do need to start getting rid of some, as I am not able to keep up with it as I once was able to

Domestic work today, so hi ho.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 17, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9009983

Isn't it pretty out there today. And I'm stuck inside of course. There's so many things I could be doing right now.

Good looking kids Teresa. They're twins right? Sorry to hear about the lupus. Hopefully it won't get worse and you can stay active.

I think I'm going to try to get the ornamental grasses cut down tomorrow after market. I suspect Sunday afternoon would be a good day to get started on taxes. Oh I whine and moan every year about having to start those dratted things!

Bonnie, if your clumps aren't huge, take a spading fork out there when it's wet, sink it right in the middle and fork it up. I think they come up with less dirt that way. It has to be pretty wet though. Otherwise the roots want to stay anchored in the ground. I do that when I need to dig orders and it's sopping wet out there. When it dries out using the fork doesn't work as well.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9010133

Janet thanks for that tip. I have about 4 rows that need digging and dividing, so it is not gonna be something I get done all at once, unless I hire some muscle in the form of a high school boy.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9010953

Has anyone talked to Lou/dispatcher?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 18, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9011216

Not so recently...
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9011250

Hi,

Lurker lou here, I am fine. I was away from my puter for awhile but I'm recovering and read you all every day. Lou

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 18, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9011287

Good to hear you're okay :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9011505

Hi Lou, are you all back to normal after your illness? Glad to see you checking in.

Are you in Ohio under the winter storm watch tonight and tomorrow? We are, but it is an iffy thing, depending on how the storm tracks. If we have to have snow, hope we go on and get it over with!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 19, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9012202

Ugh, sinus headache that just went away about an hour ago. Funny how those things make you feel washed out for the rest of the day. I'm not sure if the two rounds of pills I took fixed it or it just went away on it's own.

Market was yesterday. A super nice day I probably should have been out doing something but by the time we got home and unloaded I didn't want to do another thing. Didn't want to fix supper but couldn't get out of it.

Going to get the rest of my tomatoes seeded this week. I gave my cabbage and broccoli seed to my daughter's ag teacher. She's taking greenhouse management this year. I have a feeling though she's going to be the one to seed the flats and then she and I will be the one's to do the transplanting and care. That's fine. She'll be there every day and at least I'll know they're being taken care of. As if everything goes belly up, I can still buy them somewhere. The fellow I'd been buying from didn't plant this year. His father had a stroke and all the farm work is falling on him this year and he had to cut somewhere and the greenhouse got cut. If we keep on we're going to have to get that 20 ft. greenhouse up and running because I'll be needing more and more plants. I think I'm going to seed about 1000 tomato plants for this year.

Better get finished cleaning up the kitchen, Later folks.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9012279

Bonnie, I'm better , but still weak and tired. I go back to the DR. at the end of the month to see if my white count is back up to where it should be and I hope I am cleared to eatmore stuff. I know the bursitis is causing the pain in my hips, but I now have a severe pain in my knee when I walk. I hope it is just aggravated by limping and not structural. LOL
Getting old has been hard on me so far this year. LOL I hope to be 100% by spring. Lou
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9012280

Popping in for a howdy.

Not much going on here. Everyone is finally getting well. Kristenne has a cold or some sinus funk but that is about it.

It's freezing in this house though. Brrr.

Craig has the water off because he's fixing the water heater. He had to run to Lowe's for heating elements and bolts for the toilet seat. Tired of pinching things. LOL

I'm eager to try a new recipe for Fettucine Alfredo with an Alfredo recipe I snagged from the net. Hope we have water soon. We didn't have water for two days last week due to the plumbing blow out.

I'm still waiting to hear back on the house in Mt. Orab. Sigh.

Hope everyone is well.

My baby is going to be 3 in a few weeks. He's had his heart set on a John Deere tractor that pulls a wagon behind it. I told the girls to go show him the ride on toys at Walmart and now the little turkey upgraded to a John Deere Gator. Oh my!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9012281

Not structural? LOL Lou! Please take care of yourself!

We can post more than one image now??
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9012593

Lou I hear you on the getting old. Sometimes it is just almost too much to overcome. Hope that the blood count is better and you are on the way to wellness.

Chele, posting more than one photo just happened last week, or maybe the week before. It is nice, as sometimes we have more than one that we want to show. Sure cuts down on the steps you need to do.

Janet, sorry about the headache. Have you stuck your head out the door tonight? It is getting very cold out. But guess we missed the snow today. Hear it is hitting virginia.

I am no closer to having a greenhouse than I have been. Although 2 weeks ago we saw a 6x12 one at Sams, and DH said that he would go back and get it for me. Ain't happened yet. Told him I was not starting one seed this year unless I had a decent place to start them. Told him I would just go buy all the annuals that I want, and not a peep when he sees how much they cost. He is going to have a rude awakening when he starts to buy the tomato plants that he usually puts out. I am so wanting to start some seeds, but I am sticking to my word.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #9012777

Stay strong, Bonnie!

Son has returned from his trip to England. He had dinner with a very brainy friend of mine that lives there full time now. I asked what they had talked about. He said "mostly neuroscience and epistemology." My, that must have been an interesting dinner!

A Cooper's hak settled down on the tree by the bird feeder today. I guess he was looking for bird food, as in the birds at the feeder. He's a pretty good sized critter when he's sitting right outside the window, too.

Nothing much else going on here.
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9013211

I am not saying anything about you and a greenhouse Bonnie. You and I both know that I just fuel the fire. LOL Hope you get it this year. But yes, he will have a fit when he sees how much plants cost. A few years ago, I decided not to start any. The only way we could get the varieties I wanted, was in the big cups at Walmart. I think Craig picked up about 4-5 tomatoes and just 2-3 other things and it was around $28! Multiply that times the size garden he usually has. Ouch.

LOL Pat! I guess that is the kind of conversation that you are really excited about or you fall asleep in your plate. :P
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 20, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9013631

Each flat of plants is going to probably run you about 12-15 dollars. I was buying cabbage and broccoli for $10 last year and getting a good deal because there were 48 plants in the flat vs. 32 everywhere else. I raised all my tomato plants. This year I'll raise my tomato and pepper plants and hopefully this joker that's doing the FFA greenhouse will take care of the cabbage and broccoli. I'll try to direct seed my fall plants.

DH said he thought they saw a golden eagle back on the creek the other day. They have eagles along the river but I haven't heard of them along the creeks. I hope we have some of them next along the banks. It would be neat. There are a some of the taller sycamores that they might find suitable.

Going to see the rest of my tomatoes tonight and get the cover on the little greenhouse. I hope the cover doesn't rip in a million pieces.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2012

Post #9014358

Janet,

I saw an article today that eagles have been spotted locally.

I think most operations have gone to the half flats or 32 size trays. I know I've had some odd glances when I say I have 72's. I don't often buy plants but I do look and Kmart, Lowe's and Walmart all had the half flats of tomatoes or they were in the cups. I had thought the flats were a good deal until I looked closer.

It's awful windy here today!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 21, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9014375

Anybody interested in selling tomatoes, we do them in 2401 flats. You then sell them individually. I think we did 75 each, 3 for $2.00 last year.
We have used 72's for cole crops, but are going to a sheet with 50 round cells this year. You get a little better plant with a bigger cell.
Bernie
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 21, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9014572

I think right now until I get that 8X20 greenhouse up I'll stick to just raising what plants I need for myself. I'm going to have enough going on just getting the peas, beets and all those onions in the ground first.

Bernie, do you all raise all your tomatoes in a high tunnel? Or some inside and some outside?

Had another calf yesterday. They're calling her First Lady since it was President's Day.

Chele, are you gearing up your greenhouse?

Bonnie, are we still on for tomorrow?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 21, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9014594

Last year a bunch were outside. This year we have another tunnel, so not sure yet. Probably have some outside as we want bigger amount to sell for canning.
We do a lot of cherry tomatoes, too.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9014608

We sure are Janet. Can't wait.

Well, the verdict is in from his royal highness, my DH. He has decided that buying the plants would be too expensive, so we are going Thursday to Sam's where we saw one about 2 weeks ago, and buying it. Hoping it is still there. I will do some research to see what other places have them, in case we strike out there. What we looked at was an 8x12, so that is better than nothing. With the width, I can probably put another row of shelves down the middle.

Tonight is the organizational meeting of the farmer's market. I am going, and will probably join, even if I don't have anything to sell other than our excess crops. May try selling some daylilies there, because that would motivate me to get digging and getting them potted up. Or may offer them bare root at a lower price. Probably won't offer plants for sale, as this is a very tiny space to grow other than for our needs. I figure, I get one to break the ice, then the second one will be lots easier to justify.

Weather is typical March weather, although a few days early. Blustery rain, then sunshine, then rain again. Spring is getting closer.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 21, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9014643

Better check with your state ag dept. We were raising & selling perennials years ago. Good business, but then the big boys thought it nice to have a license. The license costs the same for Walmart as it does for the little guy with a couple plants. Another reason I don't do Walmart.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9014652

Bernie, thanks for that tip. That is a question I will ask at tonight's meeting. Have seen people there selling flowers and vegetable plants, but had never thought about having to have a separate license to do that.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 21, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9014744

Well, if you get caught you'll need a nursery license. $43 a year for me. Also a sales tax number if those folks come through. They came through two years ago at a festival down at Liberty Hall and were checking sales tax numbers. Fortunately they didn't want to see if but they wanted to know if I had one. They probably already knew if I had one or not, just wanted to see if I'd tell them the truth...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9014852

Good afternoon all.
Anxious to get something started in my little greenhouse too...but havent done it yet...still pretty chilly here.
Dave n I saw LOTS of buzzards last night ...flying into Richmond. Must have been at least 50 of them! Was really a sight to behold!
Guess they were returning...and wow...a month early too!
Love it!!!
Michele...there are eagles around here...so I've been told...although I haven't seen them myself.
Local birds are checking out the birdhouses already...so yes...spring is on it's way~!!!
Supper in the crockpot...so think I will take a short nap!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9015362

I do not have to have a license to sell annuals but I to for trees and shrubs. The cost of the license depends on house much you are growing and how much is in the ground. Even with all my daylilies, mine used to only run about $65. When my Ag guy game out last year, I was in for a shock, it had gone up to $100 I think. I didn't have to pay because he was inspecting for the following year. So this year I'll have to pay up.

I don't know what I'm doing yet. I'm running up on the deadline for either putting propane in the tank or paying the yearly rental fee. I'm really waiting to hear back on that property. Last time I talked to the owner, she was meeting with her attorney to set terms for a lease option/land contract. In the meantime, the kids want to switch schools bad and can't until we have an address in that district. It's time for soccer and softball to start and I already have a position on the soccer board there if we are playing there. More hurry up and wait for me. Ugh. If nothing else, I'll probably still do veggies and a ton of sun coleus and work on building up my stock some more this year.

Bonnie, what brand is the greenhouse you are considering? Mine was 8 x 12 then I doubled the length. I have tables down both sides that are deep enough to hold flats. There is no more room in the center if I want to move. LOL I guess you could use more narrow shelves and put in a center shelf but you also have to remember that each set of shelves shades the next set.

Thumbnail by Badseed

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9015371

Chele, I don't know the brand name. We were on our way out of Sam's and they had one set up there. Just noticed it, and didn't do an in depth inspection.

Went to the meeting and all of the members of the farmer's market are covered under one sales tax number. They have a good accounting system, and you pay on a monthly basis.

No nursery license required, so it seems like it would be okay to join. However, if I set up a roadside stand, all I would have to do is to apply for a sales tax permit, and that is it. Trees and shrubs do require a nursery license, so don't have any thoughts of getting into that. Just veggies, and some daylilies.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9016330

It's blowing up a storm-- at least figuratively-- over here. I'm snacking on blueberry muffins and watching the trees bend over. Nothing else going on.
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9016444

We went out to an Ash Wednesday service, and it was sprinkling rain, plus the wind was really blowing hard, I thought, but it has increased since we got home. I thought we were supposed to have 70 degree weather tomorrow, but haven't heard any weather today. May have changed 10 times since I heard it last night.

We are heading to Louisville about 2:00 tomorrow. DH is hauling a truck home on a trailer for his nephew, and will be delivering it to a garage for some mechanical work. We will be stopping by Sam's sometime during that trip down there. So looks like he has enough space in the truck and on the trailer to haul several greenhouses. Now watch them not be in stock. Just sayin.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 23, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9017728

Ok Bonnie, did the greenhouse happen? I gotta know.

Got some more lettuce flats seeded tonight while I was waiting for the cakes to finish baking. Funny, when you want cakes to hurry up so you can go to bed they just take forever.

Went to the funeral home last night. A co-worker's mother passed. When I got in Kate said a fellow called and wanted 30 jars of salsa for Saturday. Sure suits me! Of course it will give her a Paul a head start on beating me at market on Saturday since they said they were certainly going to count that in their totals. Guess I'll just have to work harder.

Chele, we had to put propane in the tank up at the other place. They were running a special, 30 cents a gallon cheaper so we thought we couldn't pass it up. Then we got the bill and we got a fuel surcharge and a hazardous something or another charge. Didn't save a thing wouldn't you know. At least it's full.

Pat, did you all get much of a storm? It's unbelieveable that we're outdoors walking our mile at work instead of inside this time of year. I'll take what I can get.

Maybe this cake is done... Nite all.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9017740

Janet, no it didn't happen, the whole trip was cancelled. DH needed about 4 strong boys to help with loading that truck, and one thing then another with the boys schedule. So the plans now are for Saturday. The way the wind was blowing here today, wouldn't have gotten it up anyway.

We didn't have much of a storm, just some rain and the wind, and it is all calmed down now. Turning colder, and after temps today 70, falling into the 40's tonight, then colder tomorrow, and snow predicted over the weekend.

My DTS called about an hour ago, and they are on the road coming home from Florida. Told her the forecast, and she said she was tempted to turn around and just go right back.

Have a chiro appointment in the morning, and then going out to eat tomorrow night with some friends. DGD will probably want us to pick her up in Frankfort and come home with us tomorrow night. She will be at her half sister's, so that won't be a problem.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9018099

Good morning!
Wind is awful here this morning...and only supposed to get worse. Did I mention I don;t like wind????
I'm not complaining though...at least it isn't snow! We are expected to get some snow..but no accumulation..yay.
Today is shopping day..fun fun in all the wind!
Going to get some seeds to start in my greenhouse...can't wait!
Keeping tabs on you all!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9018157

Yeah, Janet you have to pay close attention to those sales. They promised me a low price last year and dropped the tank off 10% full but when I called to have them come fill it, the price went up. They had forgotten to schedule my fill and wanted to charge me the current price. Wasn't my fault they never came out and I did stomp my feet until I got what I was promised. And yes, they have all kinds of fees on there too. Last year they wouldn't even let me get a half tank. They insisted they couldn't come out unless they filled it full.

I am wicked sick and I don't know what it is. Came down with a bad case of chills night before last. I was a little wimpy yesterday but functioned. I was in bed at 9pm last night begging kids to lay with me so I could get warm. When the Ibuprofen and Tylenol kick in, I break into a sweat and start burning up and when they run out, I go back to freezing. Nothing wrong but a wheezing cough and sore throat. pfft.

I finally got a new computer monitor and it is wonderful to be able to see! My 19" flat screen lasted the better part of 6 years with only a few repairs. I've been using an old 15" dinosaur we had in the garage. I just bought a 24" flat screen. After doing a bunch of research, I feel like I got a great deal on a really good monitor.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9018335

Chele, it sounds like the flu. Just heard this week that the flu season is just starting with cases showing up in the schools. Sure hope that it isn't, but treat it as if it was. Plenty of fluids along with the Tylenol. ((hugs)) to you.

Just heard on the weather that we are under a wind advisory today, gusts up to 40mph. Temps really aren't all that cold, but the wind makes it feel at least 20 degrees colder than what it is.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9019014

Chele, take care of yourself!! Sounds like the flu to me too. I have a cold/allergy symptoms. Been to Vandy 2 more times with my sister :(

It was 79 in Nashville earlier in the wk, today it has really dropped and the wind is wicked! Hopefully tomorrow it will calm and I can get a few things done in the yard.

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9020102

Well, we got no rain the other night, but Friday brought wind, wet and finally, flurries. I went out to see the staff talent show at the school my younger sis teaches at. It was corny and totally fun. The 6th graders go on a special trip with the funds raised by the staff every year.
Chele, I have the perfect house for you and your kids (I'm really, really kidding..) This is the old Carnegie library building in Middletown. It's in convenient walking distance of downtown, tho there's nothing much left business-wise downtown. At least the inside has been stripped down already! They recently dug up a time capsule that had been buried during construction. Apparently, the biggest laugh was earned by a former librarian who asked if the time capsule contained any overdue book lists, maybe they could collect on the fees and live a life of luxury!
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom   Thumbnail by goshsmom   Thumbnail by goshsmom   Thumbnail by goshsmom   Thumbnail by goshsmom
Click an image for an enlarged view.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9020128

Pat, it may be hard to find the people who borrowed those books from the library. I don't know of may people who are buried with money in their pockets.

Well no greenhouse today either. I got a call from DGD to come to Frankfort and pick her up early this morning, and while I was gone DH got a call from his DN that they had people to help with the truck, so he left to go to Louisville to load the truck and haul it home. I didn't trust him to pick out the right greenhouse, so we will be making another trip to Louisville sometime this week. You would think that gas is very cheap the way we are running the roads.

Church tomorrow, and then we have to have DGD back in Frankfort by 1:00, so it will be a hurried trip after church. Hope that I get a bit of time to find a nap with my name on it for tomorrow.

Bernie, heard that Minn. is under a winter storm watch, and could get the largest snow of the winter over the weekend.

Teresa, how is your sister doing? I am sure she is hoping to see the end of the treatments soon.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 25, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9020132

It's northern MN. About 200 miles north of us.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9020217

That's actually pretty interesting Pat! And it looks indestructible. LOL

Keep on pushing for the greenhouse Bonnie! You deserve it!

Hey Bernie!!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 26, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9020355

This is my last day of continuing education. My brain is nearly full. lol
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9020398

Defoe, Kay is thru 2nd round of chemo and doing better but then her scans showed a blood clot on the port she has :( 2 wks of blood thinner shots and pills to bust it. Keep us in your prayers 2 trips to Vanderbilt this wk isn't fun.

Teresa
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9020564

Will keep your sister in thoughts and prayers Teresa.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9020926

(((Kay))) (((Teresa))) And those %#&*^#(*@^$ ports! Mine's implanted under the skin of my arm, & I took bloodthinner, but it would still clot occasionally. I don't know if this has been your sister's experience, but it's sort of a total of the accumulated variety of side effects, rather than one big one, that makes life so difficult. Mouth sores, odd tastes, no hair or wierd hair, exhaustion, pills to take plus some to avoid, bruises, blood tests... the list goes on. But so does life, which makes the hassle worth it. Hang in there!

Chele, it looks like some of the woodwork is left, which is more than can be said of the Gamble estate up the hill. I have so many happy memories of that library in M'town. Plus it's close to the best bakery in the world, Central Pastry in Middletown. It's across the street from the prettiest church in town (except for the Episcopal church which is number 1!). Oh dear, here I am living in the past again...probably to postpone cleaning up the present.

Celene, you are too young to use up all your brain! Surely you can empty out most of the CE category to make room for more recipes, or gardening info, or dog stories.

Sue, Herman, Marcy, et al, let us know how you're doing. Hello to everybody!
Pat

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 26, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9021068

Teresa, I am keeping your family in my thoughts.

I really learned a lot of useful CE stuff. None of which had anything to do with gardening, but a lot of cool behavior stuff.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9021104

Celene,
I think my brain topped out long ago, probably from nursing trivia, doses of drugs probably no one uses anymore, what size gloves the local surgeons wore, odd phone extensions, etc. Just don't ask what day it is or what I did last week!
Pat
salix_man
Barberton, OH

February 26, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9021165

Pat, The human mind always has room for more knowledge, but as the cells get full it has to sort the necessary from the trivial. Things like why we go to the basement are trivial. That's why we forget.
I've been lurking. The weather has been mild and I've gotten a lot done in the yard. The water is receding so I can get to places without knee boots. Also getting willow cut, forced and packaged for the florists.
My neighbor wants to cut some of the trees between our properties. I'll probably have to do the cutting up in the trees. I still have my rope and saddle Just hope the straps on my spurs haven't rotted. With those trees down, I'll have a lot more sunlight in the garden.
Herman

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9021292

Teresa you just hang in there for Kay. I certainly will put you both on my personal list, and if you have no objections to our church list also. It is hard helping to take care of a sick family member, but remember, you are making memories with her, even through these tough times. If the situation were reversed, she would be there for you.

Pat. so that is why I forget things, I have so much useless trivia floating around in my brain. I wonder if those whiz kids on Jeopardy will ever have useful information that they can access, without bringing up who was the 33rd president, or who was the first casualty in the Spanish American war? It must be nice to have that much knowledge, but where do they put the important part?

Have not done anything outside in my gardens yet, it's too wet, and besides it is too early. Anything I do would surely not be the right thing, at least for the plants. DH did move a hardy hibiscus for me on Thursday. I had tried, but that plant had roots to China. He finally had to cut some roots in order to be able to get the majority of it dug up. The placement of that was poor planning. It was there, and then he wanted a weeping cherry close to that spot, and instead of moving it then, I left it, and it was growing up through the cherry tree. Not attractive at all. So now, I am hoping that it hasn't been shocked too bad and will take off in it's new location.

Herman, you are not planning on climing the trees are you? If so you be very very careful, these older bones don't like falls and being jostled around.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 27, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9021665

Garden's going in this afternoon. Dad said the ground would work yesterday. I went up and took some soil samples and there were spots that were still a little damp but I'm figuring with the wind and sun yesterday we can hopefully get the disc in there and move some dirt. We'll get the potatoes ordered and in so I can get them cut and scabbing over. Got about 300 peppers seeded last night. Two trays of tomatoes are trying to come up.

I got word Friday that I got in the St. Matthews market this year as a full time vendor. The best I'd hoped for was an alternate. I guess I'll take that one and Kate will take the Douglass Loop market now. There are vendors around our spot that I trust and they'll keep an eye out if she runs into trouble. Plus there's a friend that has offered to help with that market this year that manages Taste of KY in The Mall and I know she knows how to handle problems. I guess the veggie production is going to go up this year. DH will just have to make up his mind that there will be more work in the garden for the girls and less in other places this summer.

Teresa, I hope things go better for Kay. The wife of the mill manager where 2nd DD works is in kidney failure and is back on dialysis. When they put her port in the didn't do something they were supposed to and the other day she caught it on some clothing and ripped it out. Not good.

Herman, if you're going up in that tree, be careful.

Chele, are you feeling better?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9022180

The mention of the port tragedy just made me ill. Yuck and ouch.

I don't really think I am any better. Sometimes i think I am but I think it's just all the drugs working together. LOL I don't think my fever is getting as high now.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 28, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9022891

Dang Chele. Does the rest of the brood have this stuff too? Sure hope not.

Got the garden disked and a bunch of beets planted before it was time to quit and feed the cows. Going back today and hopefully finish. I'm putting down fabric mat between the rows to try to keep down the weeds. We can't take the plastic layer down to my parents because we don't have a trailer that it and the tractor will load on so that's what we decided to do to keep down the weeds. It worked pretty good last year. A little work up front but is better later.

Better get going.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9022947

I have had something over the wkend and it is the pits to be down and out. Hoping you get better soon Chele.

Thanks for the concern and prayers for Kay. It is appreciated. We have a trip to Huntsville Botanical Garden planned the last of March and then on to Pensacola to meet my oldest girl. She is working the week there. Hoping Kay will be up to it :(

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9022998

I hope things get easier for your sister Teresa. Hope she is feeling good in time for the getaway too.

I don't think anyone else here at home has what I have but you know how it goes...just as soon as you think it's gone, it's different or someone else has it. Everyone here has had one thing or another, mostly stomach stuff but thankfully no one had this high fever thing. I've been able to make it 7-8 hours without Tylenol or Ibuprofen so I think the fever has let up. Today I have horrible neck pain, headache and am starting to cough gunk out so I hope that is a good sign.

I have a few people wanting me to grow for them but I really hadn't planned on still being here. It's getting to be that time that I need to fill the propane tank, pay the yearly rental or move and have them pick it up while it's empty. We just really, really don't want to be here anymore. Carly has been railroaded off her softball team. A different coach is taking all the decent kids from two teams and playing elsewhere and leaving behind the ones he didn't want and someone told him we were moving. Don't know who that is going to leave here or if there will be enough for a team. Usually there is not. Things are about to go from bad to worse.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9023656

One thing about having grown kids is not having all the team drama :(
I am sicky, this is bad it is nice today and I should be outside but I don't have the energy.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9023958

Evening folks, I guess that I can say that I finally wore my DH down, and we went to Louisville today and got a small greenhouse. It is only 6x8, but better than what I have (nothing). You know how these things progress, this year the 6x8, next year maybe a 10x12, getting bigger every year.

Think that he finally got tired of hearing about a blasted greenhouse.

It was nice out today, but most of my day was spent in the vehicle and then when I got home we had some folks stop by, and when they left, I started cooking supper, and DS and his SO came. So I have not been lonely today.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 29, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9024308

Yeah Bonnie! Now to get him to put it up. Can you add extensions to the back of it? I have my little plastic one up and tied down for the wind coming in. I brought the 4 flats I had it in into the kitchen though. I didn't see any sense in tempting fate. After all, if the house blows away 4 flats of tomatoes will be the least of my woes.

We got carrots, lettuce, sugar snaps and peas planted yesterday. The ground worked wonderfully. I started to plant a peck of potatoes I had left from last years crop but Dad warned me off with a tale from the past about great granparents that planted before St. Patrick's day and they all froze. I think I can wait.

Well, I have done it to myself. The fellow that raised my cabbage and broccoli this year quit and so I cajoled Kate into seeing if the FFA would raise it in their greenhouse. Since she was taking the greenhouse class I figured she could keep an eye on it. Well... Somehow the line of communication once again got tangled up and I now have 37 flats of cabbage and I don't know how many of broccoli will be potted up. I guess I'm now in the plant peddling business. At least I can sell some of it at the markets. Laughs on me I guess. Better get more ground plowed I reckon.

Better get to work and keep watching the weather. Stuff is heading our way.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9024354

Janet, wow, seems like you were dragged into the plant selling business. What a price to pay for having them start these seeds for you.

My grandfather always cautioned to plant potatoes on Good Friday, of course this year that will be in April, which may work out well.

We are under a tornado warning, and the electricity has been on and off all morning. Mr. B is scared of thunder, and he didn't like the dark inside so he went out, and now must be scared to leave his safe harbor (probably in the garage) to come back inside.

This is groocery day, and I need to leave in just a few minutes, so will grab my umbrella and go out and get him in. Silly dog.

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 29, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9024380

Sauerkraut. Lots of sauerkraut!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9024407

Sorry you are sick Teresa. :(

Yay Bonnie!!

Janet, I about spit my coffee out with your potato comment. My Great Uncle always planted Kennebec on St. Patrick's Day. When I grow potatoes, so do I! Why mess with a perfected plan?

Every time I think I'm better, something else feels sick. I didn't really need anything for a fever yesterday but did for the cough. I think this gunk has settled into bronchitis. I just got out of bed a bit ago and my neck and head hurt so bad. I was going to see about getting a doctor appointment today but Craig went to work on the neighbor's computer...
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 29, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9024423

Potatoes on St. Patricks day. Corn when the locust trees bloom. Seems to work well that way. At least I can remember that.

Chele, I hope this doens't run through the rest of the family.

Teresa, are you feeling any better today?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9024482

Never heard about the corn and locust trees. LOL

I think I got this from Kristenne. So far nobody else has had anything but sore throats.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 29, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9024598

How come we are hundreds of miles north & it's Good Friday here too.
Corn needs to be planted when oak leaves are the size of a squirrel's ear.

Lots of rain here the last day & a half.

Talk about sauerkraut, a guy just called & ordered 200 heads of cabbage for this fall. Nice to know how much you will need ahead of time. I charge $2.00 a head & they pay $1.00 a head now the balance when they get it.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9024637

Wow, what a stormy day here! Tornadoes have touched town within 20 miles of me. Roof damage to one ele. school. We have had 3 separate tornado warnings. Thankfully, they have missed us.
I am feeling better but still all stuffy. Maybe tomorrow the winds will calm down. I was hoping to get some of my dl seeds planted.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9024643

Wow, what a stormy day here! Tornadoes have touched town within 20 miles of me. Roof damage to one ele. school. We have had 3 separate tornado warnings. Thankfully, they have missed us.
I am feeling better but still all stuffy. Maybe tomorrow the winds will calm down. I was hoping to get some of my dl seeds planted.

Do you guys start them in M Grow or Seed starter? LMK I was wondering about using some of the Spring mix container from the grocery store. I tried direct sow but with my cats, not a good idea :(

Teresa

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9024895

Teresa, the ones I have started, I start in MiracleGro planting medium. Seems to work for me.

We didn't have the storms, but we had buckets of rain. I spent half my time in town sitting in the car wating for the rain to let up or stop so I wouldn't drown out there. Finally got all the errands done, and home about 1:30.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9025138

I guess I'll have to start carrying around a squirrel so I can compare it to oak leaves. :P

I think I'll start growing cabbage too.

We had a lot of thunder and lightning starting about 3:30am. Then there were some storms before 10:30. After that, there was one nice pop up this afternoon and sun in between.

I usually use sterile seed mix for just about everything. You can add fertilizer but you can't take it out. If you can get friendly with a local nursery, they might sell to you wholesale.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9025249

Chele, you get the squirrel, and then just call me when the ears are just the right size!! Mr. B wouldn't let it live long enough around here to let the ears grow.

Glad you got connections with a nursery, others use what is available. Like me for instance. I have never had any problem with the moisture control miracle grow stuff. I got a good price on some at Sam's yesterday. They had preen, but I hadn't checked the prices locally so didn't know if it was a good deal or not. It was 25 lbs for 20. something. Anyway, I didn't get any as I have some left from last year that I will use first.

Sun, what is that? hehe, yep, we saw it yesterday, and I am sure it will be back, but here today, was all gray and rain.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

February 29, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9025289

Teresa, I discourage the cats from scratching in the seed bed by lightly spreading long straw over the seeds. Make sure they have another "litter box" handy. The water table was dropping, more like a mud table in back until this morning and then back to what it was 3 weeks ago. with water in the basement. Thunder and hail this evening. Luckily I got some willow cut last night and dragged above the waterline. Way too early to start planting around here. Temps are fine, but soil is way too soggy Mosquitos were flying around about 5:30. Had 2 little snakes sunning on the front steps, too. Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9025329

Bonnie, if there is a nursery you go to often, just ask them what they use and what they sell it for. Often if they know you will buying several bags at a time, they will give you a better price. Last year I paid $8 a bag for bags bigger than the biggest MG you can get. The guy I got it from has it mixed just for himself and some is in labeled bags to sell to the public and some is in plain bags for his own use. He sold me those cheaper because the packaging is cheaper.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 1, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9025460

Several years ago when the Home Depot sold out the had bales of Pro Mix for $8. They were a compressed 2 sq ft. I just opened the last one this year. They usually run around $17-$18. A lot of folks down here start their greenhouse tobacco plants in it. I know Martin's down in Casey County carries it but I hate to drive down there just for one bag. I'll probably start hunting around for someone who raises plants or check with the FFA to see where they get they get their supplies. For my peppers and tomatoes I've just been starting them in the littlest peat pots from Novosel. They'll ship any order over $75 for free so I just get a bunch and store them from year to year. I might have to change that with as many tomato plants as I'm seeding though. We'll just have to see.

We got about 8 tenths of an inch and some wind. Teresa, good to hear that you're ok. What a terrible thing to lose what you've worked so hard for and I feel for those that have. No matter how good your insurance it never completely covers what you've lost.

Teresa, what were you trying to direct sow?
salix_man
Barberton, OH

March 1, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9025760

I was able to get 2 cft bags of grow mix at Lowes for $1.28 ea. It was a close-out, normally $11. Had water polymers and fertilizer. Heavy, about 50lbs, so lot of water in the bags. Don't know if it was local and probably gone now. Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9026001

It was so nice when I could get it at Home Depot. I called the year after they stopped carrying it and some squid in the garden center kept trying to convince me I was stupid and that they never carried it. LOL

Stop rubbing it in Herman. LOL
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9026615

Janet, I have tried the direct sow but my cats seem to like to play in the fresh dirt :( I bought a tiny GH or really 5 shelves with a cover lol. Something to play with for my tomato seed and LA seed wins.

I hear you will be peddling veggies lol. If I was closer I might get a few. Lots of folks will be out and gardening if the weather holds.

Thanks to all, good nite!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 2, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9026706

Getting ready for the storms. Took the cover off the greenhouse and brought the tomato plants in the kitchen. Thunder to the south.

Bonnie, hold on to your hat.

Teresa, be careful!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9026793

It is already raining here. Mr. B went out about 6:30, he usually does his "business" and is right back in, but Wednesday and today I have had to go out looking for him. He is scared of thunder, and takes shelter somewhere. I went to the garage, didn't see him, and decided he had since enough to come in out of the rain, and he beat me to the front door.

Taking the cover off the greenhouse will surely bring big storms, so hope that the storm gods didn't get wind of you doing that!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 2, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9026815

Actually I'm thinking that taking the cover off the GH will make the storms go around me. If there's nothing out there to destroy what's the point? Was raining a little going to Frankfort but is calm right now. We might catch that stuff that's coming up from E-town. Oops! The skies just opened up again!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9026819

Got the tv on, but haven't heard anything about storms in Etown. Oh, DH changed the channel, we are getting his "stock news" right now. As if he as millions invested in the stock market.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9027082

Everyone stay safe tonight!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9027449

Reporting in from Westwood. Worst storm was the noontime one--- and that wasn't bad at all. Total of 0.52" of rain & nothing else to complain about. Certainly Indiana, KY, and now places east of Cincy getting walloped. Looks like it was a multi- tornado outbreak. Moscow, Ohio & Holton Indiana hit very, very hard.
I was all packed up & ready to go to the basement, which I think is a big preventative measure. So I'll be eager to hear whether uncovering the greenhouse does or does not help scare the storms away.
I had two daffodils trying to open today, but they've (wisely) given up.
Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 2, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9027569

Must have. We got some pea-marble sized hail.. The other farm got tennis ball size. At least it didn't break out the windows of the house like it did some of the neighbors. Took out their windshields and ruined a bunch of aluminum siding. But compared to others, just a drop in the bucket.

Bonnie, your turn.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9027577

Lisa OK down in Felicity?
Bonnie?

I was in Erlanger/Elsmer, KY this morning for a P/U.
Right in the area hit there.

Cincinnati basically got nothing.
It came from the south and this Clermont/Brown.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9027595

I am fine, we got buckets of rain, some hail and high winds, but as Janet said this is minor compared to others. Just heard on tv that a total of 62 tornados in this front. Henryville, Indiana, Maryville, Indiana and others in that area hit very hard. Latest death count 8, others missing.

I know that the weather people interrupted tv about 2:30 and they have been on constantly until about a half hour ago. Showing footage and it is complete devastation.

Mr. B is out from under the bed, which indicates the storms are over.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9027596

Teresa, your area got hit hard, so give us a report from there. Holding you in my thoughts and prayers.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9027605

Good to hear from you Bonnie!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9027681

The kids and I got to enjoy the storm from the back room at Mt. Orab Kroger. LOL We meant to get through Kroger in a hurry after we picked up Kristenne but the kids were uncooperative and we stopped to talk to friends. Next thing I knew it was black outside Kroger and you couldn't see anything. Then came the storms and the sirens. They ushered everyone to the back hallway and some up front were trying to get you to pay and leave. That was kind of amusing.

Sure sounds like some got hit pretty bad. Hoping to hear from Lou and Melissa.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9027838

I just talked to Melissa's daughter. They are trapped at the house and her daughter can't go home. She said 133, 52 and 222 are completely blocked from damage and down power lines. Another friend told me Moscow is pretty much gone and that 52 is closed from Point Pleasant to Aberdeen. My family out there is okay but of course no one out there has electric.

Did anyone hear from Lou?
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
12:09 AM

Post #9027864

I guess you've got power, Chele, if you're on the computer. Haven't heard from Lou yet. Moscow,OH, Holton, IN, Henryville IN and Piner KY look largely destroyed. Did Portsmouth or Athens get any damage? Anybody in touch with Esther?
Glad to hear that everyone that's checked in is safe so far, so
1. Continue to stay safe.
2. Report in.
3. Count whatever blessings you have.

Pat
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9027909

Just heard from Marilyn from Hebron on ATP she's OK.

Chele if Lisa needs anything or any help let us know.

I have Lou's # here somewhere I see if I can find it.

To put this into a visual reference Moscow/Felicity is basically where we hold the RU's.
If you come from the west it's the area right around that huge power plant on the river.
We can see the plume from the stacks from here at the house many days.

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012

Post #9027965

Hey guys we had lots of damage in our area. My neighbors and the church up the road that had siding really got hit hard! Broken windows too. I am just thankfully that everyone is ok. A barn lost most of its roof, uprooted trees. I posted several pics on FB.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 3, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9028043

The only damage here was a couple of dead limbs and two hanging pots that were formerly full of pretty dried out evergreens blew off the porch, I believe to their demise. I haven't looked outside to see if they're broken yet.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9028059

I sent Esther an email a couple of weeks ago to check on her and she wrote back and said they are doing well. I've not talked to her anymore recently.

Ric, who is Lisa??

Lou just wrote back to me and they are fine.

Was there damage at Zimmer?

Sorry to hear about the damage Teresa but glad you are okay.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9028066

We were spared by the storms. We got a lot of rain and wind, but no damage. We watched the weather carefully all day. Feel so bad for all those who lost loved ones and all their belongings. Has any one heard from Lisa? News said they had three fatalities. Have a good weekend everyon. Lurker Lou
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9028078

They are now reporting 2 dead in Moscow and 1 in Bethel, 8 total for the storm. I'm sure as they get into the areas and start the clean up, the news will be worse. :(

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 3, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9028087

OMG, that is terrible. I feel so bad for their families.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9028088

Melissa just sent me a message. They just turned the power back on in Felicity.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9028095

I'm trying to keep up with the conflicting reports. I guess there are 3 confirmed dead in Indiana and 2 in N. Kentucky.

They are still not letting people into Moscow according to the last story I saw. A friend posted a satellite image and it's bad.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9028228

Sorry Chele I had three conversations going and mixed them up...lol!

IN Homeland Security has 14 dead in IN.
KY National Guard has 16 in KY.
3 in Ohio.
This according to the LA Times who are usually pretty reliable.
I know Jim Cantore was in Louisville yesterday along w/ a bunch of Storm Chasers.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9028247

I couldn't figure out who Lisa was. LOL

Craig said he'd heard on the radio 14, 14 and 3 a bit ago but I didn't see anything new online. Really sad events yesterday.
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9028390

Hi everyone. Thanks for thinking of me - we have no problems here. There are hills all around us so I suppose tornados are not going to be a problem, and our area escaped most of the bad weather. The creeks running some, not much.

I am lurking and keeping up with news on this thread - and praying for those who need it.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 3, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9028439

Thanks for reporting in, Esther :)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9029300

Karen, from ATP, and here in western Cincy sent us this link from Delhi...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120303/NEWS/303030116/Delhi-residents-find-debris-from-devastating-tornados?odyssey=mod_sectionstories
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9030847

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Lou!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9031128

Hi, Esther
I think we met, didn't you come to the KY RU? I am not sure I know Lou but hope you have a Happy Birthday.

It is cool here today in the 40s so I am waiting until tomorrow to work outside. Should be 60s then.
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9031236

Hi Teresa, I have been to quite a few of the KYRU, and did meet you - when you were there briefly one year. (I think)

We had snow on the ground this morning, but it is all gone now. Still encountering stink bugs most days in the house, but seldom see ladybugs anymore.

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9031367

The tornado sirens went off in our town. It got really black n windy here. Mandy the cat...and myself went to the hall closet until the warning was over. Dave was at work in town. Guess they all ignored the sirens..which I thought was pretty dumb.
We lost power about 4 different times...but that is all the problems we had...thank God. So glad you all are ok...an awful thing for others.
Happy birthday Lou!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 6, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9031827

Our snow's not gone yet but should be today. Sunny and 60 beats the heck out of snow and cold for sure.

FFA teacher thinks the cabbage plants are ready. I have a hard time believing it but I guess I'll go down there and take a look. Guess I'll be seriously planting cabbage here in the next few weeks. Potatoes came in yesterday. I hope they'll sprout a little before I have to cut them. Otherwise it's almost impossible to see the eyes. The onions shipped earlier this week so I guess my work is being laid out.

Better get to work.

Happy Birthday one day late Lou!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9031945

We don't have FFA very locally any more, at least in any active way. I used to get a crate of citrus every year for...my whole life. Two years ago, it all went away. I was sad.

It's freezing this morning, but supposed to be in the fifties. My poppies don't know whether to sprout or hide. lol
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9032055

Thanks for the birthday wishes. It was an ordinary day for us . We celebrated over the weekend by going to Applebee"s. Dave's B'day is today (we were born 8 hrs apart in the same hospital) so we always celebrate together. Lou

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9032086

Did they sing to you and bring you a cake?
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9032199

No, I don't like to be the center of attention. So we never tell anyone at a restrauant about our b'days.LOL I'm embarrassed to have all the people looking at me. Lou
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9032242

Aww that's sweet Lou...that you n Dave are so close together on birthdays!
My Dave works with a lady that her hubby is just hrs apart too...same hospital...same town...always have known each other.
Happy Birthday to your Dave!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9032559

Darn it Lou! I missed your birthday! I don't think it came up on fb.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOU!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVE!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9032685

Marcy good to hear from you, and glad that you didn't have any storm damage.

Chele, did Melissa have damage at her place? Every day we are hearing of more and more people who we know that was affected by the storms. Thankfully, no one lost a home, but have damage that will need to repair.

Lou, wish Dave a Happy Birthday from us. I didn't really know that you almost shared the same day.

We went to file taxes today, don't really have a verdict on it, but it sounds better than what we have been doing. Sort of sucks that you have to have a loss in order to break even with the IRS. DH lost money in the stock market, so that is what helped this year.

Janet, what about the cabbage? Is it ready to set out? I would imagine if you could get in to plant it, it would do all right.

Since I went to the grocery today, I have tomorrow to do other things. So first chore is clean up my garden shed where I keep all the flats and tools, so that I can get ready to seed some tomatoes.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9032759

My garage is a nightmare, I have to clean it soon. DH is not as orderly as I'd prefer, and he hangs on to weird stuff for no particular reason, lol.

Lou, I hate the singing happy birthday humiliation exercises, too. I'd die. I've told my husband very carefully how much I really never want it.

I'm going to work on another light stand for starting tomatoes, pepper, and warmth-loving annuals over the weekend. I've got loads of sprouted WS seeds. 1-1/2 flats of greens and spring crops, the rest are annuals and perennials and other goodies.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9032786

Melissa didn't have electric for about 24 hours and her daughter couldn't get home that night but they didn't have any real damage other than stuff blown all over the place. It somehow hopped right over her.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9033032

Chele thanks for updating on Melissa. I knew she was close to the affected areas.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9033094

Good morning.
Glad to hear Melissa n family are ok!
Celene...my hubby is like that too...imagine that!!!
Bonnie...Hiiiiiiii!!
Have you got that greenhouse up yet??????? I'm gonna go play in mine today. It's supposed to get into the 60s here today..wooohooo...a heat wave!!
I had this much typed before...and it suddenly left...I just hate when that happens/!!!
Chele...Lou...Esther...and all the rest of you tooooo...love reading all your posts. I just dont have much to talk about?
Oooooo...almost forgot! I did get two iron wheels over the weekend. A guy had them in front of his house with a 4 sale sign. Dave went up to look...40. bucks apiece!! A super cheap price. He took 75. for both. So then we had to go home n get the truck to haul them. Of course they are big n heavy..lol. That's the only kind of thing I buy...according to Dave...hahahaa!!
I'll take a pic today...if I remember!
He had to take one of his car ramps back with him ..to roll them up onto the truck...couldn't lift them!
Leave it to ME!!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9033104

There is a lady on the other side of Hillsboro that has been trying to sell to big iron wagon wheels for awhile. I want to say they are 4'? I think she had them posted for $50 each.

I have plenty to talk about, most of it's not good so I don't bring it up.

The frogs are chirping away outside and it's windy but it's supposed to be a decent day.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 8, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9035213

Not much going on here. My onions came in. Dixon Onions apparently can't count. I ordered 5 bundles of red onions, got 6 and 15 of the Candy and got 16. They sure look nice too. If I'm not successful in growing onions it won't be because the plants weren't pretty.

Went to Lowes tonight with our electrician to look at under the counter lights and over the sink lights. Guess I need to go over to the house and look again. I think I know what I want but better be sure I reckon. He appears to be almost done and not too far off a final inspection. Suits me.

Worthless day at work. I spent 1 hour and 8 minutes chewing out one of the employees for not doing her job. It wouldn't be so bad if I thought it did any good but I've been messing with this person for 3 years and she hasn't changed. I never should have signed her probation papers. I honestly thought she just needed a little more time for it to click and she'd settle in and be fine. More the fool me!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9035506

You could always cut her hours Janet. That seems to be the most effective way of getting rid of people anymore, whether they do their job or not..

Not sure what kind of lights you want but we bought those little halogens that look like hockey pucks. They are pretty nice and make a pretty back drop or just enough light when you don't need lights on. We have recessed cans in the ceiling. If I had a nicer house, I might like something different above the sink. Over the table, we have a light that Tabasco gave us when she remodeled. It's a monster but it's pretty.

Yesterday was Nolan day. It was his 3rd birthday. I took him to buy a couple of toys then to pick out his birthday dinner and dessert then came home and made it all and put the toys together.

Nothing else exciting going on here.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 9, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9035533

Unfortunately when you work for the state you can't cut someone's hours. And you can't fire at will. It was set up to prevent political retaliation but sometimes it's not the best policy.

We have recessed lighting in all of the rooms and lights on the ceiling fans. I think what's going over the sink will be relatively simple but I 'm getting older and need stronger light. Gone are the days I can sit up and read at night with just moonlight. I think I'm going to go with those LED lights under the counter. A bit more expensive but they're saying they'll last forever.

I'm trying to get the youngest to apply for a free trip to Washington. She's the only one that hasn't been and even though it will make us one short at market for a weekend I'd hate for her to miss an opportunity like that.

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9035571

Well finally! For some reason I couldnt get this pic to upload????
Anyway...here are the two wheels I bought for my gardens. Not sure where they are going yet, so Dave set them by the swing for now.
Have sunshine today...but much cooler. I'll take it!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9035652

Janet, I don't have a hood over my range top. We had an old stick fluorescent light up there for years. A year or so ago, I had an electrician here doing some other stuff. I asked for suggestions for a new light fixture, and he put in an LED light. We really like it! I wish I had some more of them!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9035819

I love the light bars that have 2-3 lights on them. That might work well for you. We have the halogen lights because they were on clearance. I like them though. LED is probably brighter and more cost effective.

Some pics from yesterday.

Thumbnail by Badseed   Thumbnail by Badseed   Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9035820

Some of the pendant lights are pretty nice too.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9036795

Marcy didn't your first vehicle have wheels like that? ;-)

GREAT Shots of Nolan!
Hard to believe he's already 3!

We put Puck Type LED's under the counter a few years back.
LOVE them BUT the color is a bit 'Icy'... cool cool white/blue
The technology has improved since then.
If you get them make sure you get Natural/Daylight as the colors.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9036816

Chele, tell Nolan that he is so handsome. I really can't believe he is 3 already. I know that you probably know all too well though.

I need to get out today and pull some chickweed out of some flower beds. Didn't have any last year, so where did this come from. This bed has so many flowers in it, that I am afraid to use roundup, and besides, bet DH hid it on me. He doesn't like the stuff at all.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9037864

Good morning everyone...welllllllll...alll most everyone that is!
One word Ric...PAYBACKS!!! LOL!
Come to think of it...that was the car I sold YOU!! Thanks for giving the wheels back!
A beautiful sunny day here. Going out to the greenhouse and see what's up..if anything? Also want to get some more seeds started.
We stopped in at our friends' antique shop yesterday. I got a homemade cushion for my big arbor swing that looks like an American flag. It's a little shy of the length I need, but also got a couple of pillows with it that should make it be ok. Now..if I can just get the mildew out of it...any suggestions? It seems to have fiberfill in it, so I think it could be washed. Guess I could ask Google too.
I think I will have to take it to the laundromat, because it is too large for my washer.
If anyone has any ideas how to get it clean...let me know!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9038009

Marcy, DH's aunt used to say to put it out in the sun, sprayed with a little vinegar, and the sun would draw it out. Haven't tried it myself, but it is worth a try.

Sun is out and it is gorgeous here today. I didn't complete pulling that chickweed out yesterday, so as soon as dinner is over, I am heading out to finish that job.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9038263

Checking in to see what everybody's up to. Had a cold or allergies at the beginning of the week, then messed up my back & shoulders going to the courthouse for someone. Those deed books are heavy! Today I feel like I might live. I have a good crop of daffodils blooming in front of the house. Zoey the dog thinks they're fascinating. Yesterday she encountered her first butterfly, which was darling. My house is looking more and more like an episode of Hoarding: Buried ALive, so I'm going to try & spiff it up a bit.
Chele, Nolan looks SO CUTE, especially on his tractor. All he needs is a farmer tan!

Pat
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9038582

Thanks Bonnie...it's worth a try...don't think it would hurt anything!
Chele...meant to say how cute Nolan is. I'm sure he LOVES that tractor!!
Hard to believe 3 yrs have gone by...geez! Time just keeps on moving along!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

March 11, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9038793

Been helping the neighbor take the trees down. Only had to go up a short ladder then tied in while I put a pull line on. The tree was hollow and went in the wrong direction right into the water. Be awhile before we cut it up. The weather has been warm today. Honey bees on the crocus, garter snake sunning on the front steps and peepers at dusk. The trees we took down are silver maples. Hugh cloud of pollen when they hit the ground.
Herman
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9038806

DH and I put the greenhouse up this afternoon. He had lots of blue words flying around, but nobody was injured in a fight! Tomorrow he needs to tie it down, and we will move some shelves in, and I will be ready to get busy starting some seeds.

Whoopppee!! Or how ever you spell it. CHEL, I GOT A GREENHOUSE!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 12, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9039054

Phew! been a busy weekend. Had market Saturday. Got there and a couple folks decided that we'd set up outside instead of in the gym. Fortunately while it was coldest we were moving around a lot and then it got relatively pleasant. Thank goodness Kate had put an extra jacket in the van though.

Got home and helped Miranda strip out a fresh cow. Calf was born and hadn't gotten up yet so he needed his supper. Miranda had already lost her patience with the cow and bad things were about to happen so it was time or another milker to give it a shot. I got the milk but the cow sure got her licks in. Kicked me three times and the last one was a doozy. Got me on the thigh and it still hurts like the dickens. That night before I went to bed we took a few ibophren to help but it's still letting me know it's there.

Matthew and I planted 22 bunches of onions yesterday. Each bunch was supposed to have 60 slips in it but i was counting between 65 and 90. Some of them were pretty small so we'll see. Got three more rows of peas planted. I even got a little of the taxes done. Tired last night.

Chele, that boy is growing. He'll be taller than you are sooner than you think.

Ric, thanks for the advice on the lights. I'm not partial to that really cool blue light so I'll make sure we get the natural when we get them.

Better get going. Need to check the tomatoes before I get to work.

~~~~~~~~~ to everyone!

This message was edited Mar 12, 2012 1:38 PM
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9039404

Yayyyy Bonnie!!! Pictures pleaseeeeee!!!
Janet...girl...I get worn out just reading all that you do! Wish I had your energy. I used to...buttt????????
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 12, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9039670

Marcy, dear, I think you have a few years on me. I think that makes a difference...

Scattered showers here today. I don't think we're getting a lot of rain.

Anybody heard from Sue lately?
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9039977

Congratulations on the greenhouse, Bonnie. Post pics soon! Lou
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9040128

Talked to Sue, well and Cookie also, for quite a while yesterday.
She and Cookie are hooking up tomorrow.
Anyone need Kittens?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 12, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9040188

Ric, any black or tortoiseshell girl kittens?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9040204

I will post pictures as soon as the camera gets back from the repair shop. We just got it set up, and moved shelves and tables in today. Guess who is thinking that this was HIS idea, and I fear that he might be taking it over! He is talking about all the seeds that HE is going to start. Now how do you explain from being so opposed to the idea then embracing it like this?
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 12, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9040245

Like I said, they're related...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9040259

Maybe twins at that.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9040772

Sounds VERY familiar Bonnie!!!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 13, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9040803

Sooo excited to see greenhouse pics!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9041716

The kittens are due to be born today or tomorrow at Joyce's place...
I'll give her a buzz and see what's what.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 13, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9041728

Photos would be good, I have a client whose cat passed away, what he really needs is a kitten.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9041786

I really wish someone wanted one of my four illegitimate 6 month old males! LOL They are half Tortie but only one has odd markings.

Still waiting for pics Bonnie. All this time we have waited for you to get a greenhouse and now we can't see it! Oh, I think you should get Lou to paint you a sign that says "No boys allowed". :P

Nolan is over 3' and running darn close to 40 pounds. He's due for a check up. Morganne stopped growing at my height of 5'5". Kristenne and Carly are both teetering at 5'7". I think Lillie is going to stay short like Morganne. The three little blondes seem to be favoring Carly and Kristenne so we'll see how that works out. The pediatrician was sure they'd all be between 5'8" and 5'11". It is still early for some of them.

Nolan and I played outside for a good deal of the day today. We took a bunch of cardboard and junk paper and used it to burn a bunch of brush that was laying around. He's really having a wonderful time with his new tractor. Honestly I am jealous! He got a Deere before I did. hahahaha I'm wondering how long it's going to take me to cut grass this year with a push mower. I guess I'll either lose weight or drop dead.

We've been waiting for months to purchase a house from a lady on a land contract. Her real estate contract finally ran out the first week of February. I waited a month, impatiently, for her to call me with terms. I finally called her and she said she was unable to get to Ohio to meet with an attorney so she just went ahead and re-listed it. cuss cuss cuss Back to the drawing board.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9041800

Sorry folks, will you settle for maybe tomorrow? Busy busy today, then when DH took over the GH to seed some more things, I came in and washed woodwork in the laundry room and taped it getting it ready to paint. Tomorrow morning is grocery day, and then I promise, I will take pics tomorrow afternoon.

I swear, I think we are going to have to get another one, or a bigger one so both of us can be in there working and not bumping into each other. I am still shaking my head, Mr. I don't want/need a greenhouse, is practically living out there.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9041957

Hello, folks
I know this isn't the dl forum but just wondering if any of you grow TUSK? Or what is your best UF? I am looking for a good parent to make crosses with. I have JUMPING JACK FLASH from last yr plus
W. PINK WONDER and a few others.

Glad it is warming up. I got some veggie and flower seeds planted.
Canna and caladiums too. Can't wait for Spring to really get here!

It was a beautiful day today. I drove Mom over to Owensboro for an annual ckup. She got a good report thankfully. New babies are arriving on the farm.

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 14, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9042211

Teresa, probably my favorite UF is Chaco Canyon. But when String Theory gets going it's right nice too.

Didnt' get much done yesterday.evening as I had a market meeting to go to. Another one next Tuesday and I think I should be done with that.

Seeded a flat of green peppers and need to seed another. Got the soil tests back on the garden. Gotta love my father's ground. All I'll need is to give stuff a little kick start of N and we should be good to go. P and K were high. Maybe that's why I can never raise peppers worth a darn.

The peas were sprouting Saturday but hadn't broken ground. I'd like to get down there and spread some Treflan over the onions if it's still supposed to rain here Thursday.

Chele, sorry about the place going back on the market. I hate it when people don't do what they tell you they'll do. Why don't you fence off some of your property with a triple strand of electric and get some meat goats? They could eat things down and they're small enough for you to butcher by yourself. No grass mowing and food for the table to boot!

I'm starting to gear up for market to start next month. Unfortunately the Lexington Home and Garden Show started the same weekend as 3 of the markets so I'm doing some baking and freezing it. At least it won't be so hectic that way.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

March 14, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9042967

Wore short sleeved shirt and shorts when I went to the Y today. Lovely spring weather. Got about half the branches from the last tree shredded. Finish tomorrow. Will spred the chips on the raspberries. Things are starting to dry up around here, too
Bonnie, the ladies are up about 4 inches, looking good.
Herman
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012

Post #9043060

Herman glad to hear it. I was out looking at my gardens, and noticed mine were up and very green. Now don't expect blooms this year. I understand after being moved they sort of just sit there, so maybe blooms for next year. After saying that, watch them bloom this year.

Hold on, I am going to post a pic of my itty bitty greenhouse. Don't laugh, it is lots better than what I had!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012

Post #9043061

Alright Bonnie, but only because we don't have a choice. LOL

Sorry Teresa, I don't have any of the newer daylilies anymore. I think I have less than 100 varieties now and that depends on what comes up with warmer weather.
Glad to hear your Mom is doing well. That little calf is so cute!

Janet, I have a little money set aside so we can move. I really don't want to stay here. The kids are getting meaner and meaner. The way things are looking, Carly won't even get to play softball this year because of the jerky rumors and hateful kids and parents. Whoever said all those good things about small towns, never lived in this one. The ground is so wet, I'd worry about the goats getting nasty hoof diseases. It's that wet.

Aside from that, whatever plans I had for any money, probably just went out the window with Craig's transmission today.

Nolan and I played outside quite a bit yesterday but I barely left this chair today. I woke up sick again and feel awful.

It's been beautiful the last two days. I heard we are in for highs in the 70s for the next few days. Don't work too hard Herman.

Enjoying the sounds of thousands of mating frogs...at least the windows are open.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9043071

Okay, a couple one outside one inside.

Thumbnail by defoecat

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9043076

Another.

Thumbnail by defoecat

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9043090

Doesn't look like much in there, but each try holds 60 seeds, so guess there are about 7 trays in there, so when they come up and get transplanted, there will be lots to see. I ordered flower seeds today, so when they get here, I will have several more trays in there.

Weather was beautiful today, but it was grocery day, and when I got home, didn't do much. I had planned on starting to paint the laundry room, but will start that in the morning, so that it is possible to get it all done tomorrow.

Teresa I don't have many spiders or UF's so I won't be of any help. The Bella Lugosi is up good, and i have tons of increases. That was a new one for me last year.

Has anybody sold on the LA forum? If so did you do well? I am thinking about those that I actually know the names of posting them there, and selling them.

Janet, it is getting about time for another lunch. When does it suit you? I only have one appointment next week, and one the following week.

Chele, I am sorry that the house didn't work out. I still think you need to come down and look around down here. We can induct you in the Kentucky delegation, and even give language lessons.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9043130

Bonnie, it's great! I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. If you decide you really love it and you end up filling it, maybe you can get something larger down the road. That was the one reason I was glad I bought one that could be expanded. EVERYONE will tell you to buy bigger than you think you need. Once you get one, you think of more and more and more you can grow since you have one. LOL

Bella Lugosi is a gorgeous dark one! I love the darker ones.

A lot of people sell on the LA, several I know from here and other sites. You may even be able to trade them for plants or other seeds.

Bonnie, at this point, I'd go about anywhere that has a medium to large school, great education and a serious sports program. All of my kids deserve better but Carly needs to be somewhere that people are excited to have her talent and won't treat her as a threat. Even with some kids being jerks this year and not passing to her, she was still the highest scorer. :) Scoring the highest isn't the important part, it's that she did it without the help of her whole team.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9043139

Defoe, I have been selling on the LA. The newer ones sell the best but older ones will if they are priced pretty low. Many that are new to dls want those. I have sold several so I don't know if I am listing many more. I have a lot to dig now.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 15, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9044368

Sitting here waiting for a marinaria sauce to finish in the HWB. Got all the windows of the house open because it's so hot inside. And this is the 15th of March. DH is outside on the porch on the phone because it's more comfortable out there than it is in here.

I seeded some spinach in some float trays. I'll try to transplant them in the garden later. Never done this before so we'll see if it works. Since it rained and hailed again tonight I don't think I'll be planting garden for a bit yet. I think some folks got over 2 inches of rain this afternoon. Wanted to get some Treflan down on some onions but the way the lightening was around there I opted to stay close to the house.

Bonnie, that greenhouse looks pretty good. I think you're gonna enjoy it. I wish I had mine up but I know it's better in the box where it is than being put up somewhere it'll just have to be taken down.

Went to retirement earlier this week. The story is still about the same.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9044434

Awww, Janet, you would love retirement, if you had the money to go along with it. Just imagine all the things you could do, if you didn't have to go to work!

Well, I painted the laundry room today. Mine is small so I had to move one thing, paint behind it, and then move it back. DH came in while I was working, and tossed all of his caps in the washer. When they were done, I took them out and put them on the deck to air dry. I counted 68 I think, and there are still some more in the house that he didn't put in the wash. Told him he needed to make a hat rack and put them in his new building, or the garage. We will see if that happens.

I finished painting and cleaning about 3:30, sat and rested until about 4:30, then cooked supper and cleaned the kitchen. When I sat down, I dozed off, and had a nap in my recliner for about 45 minutes. Watched a little of the University of Kentucky ballgame and then showered and put my jammies on. My left arm and shoulder are really hurting, but I put my tens unit on it, and is feeling lots better. Got the heating pad all warmed up, so will sleep on that tonight. Getting old is not a lot of fun, unless you enjoy hearing creaking, popping joints.

Tomorrow, I am taking things from the top of my kitchen cabinets, washing them, and cleaning the cabinets. Then there are windows and curtains. I am hoping I get all my cleaning done, so I won't feel guilty out playing in the dirt, knowing that there are many things to be done inside.

Everybody have a good night, and hope that the storms have moved out of this area for the night.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9044603

Good morning, I watched the Murray game and U of KY too. I live near WKU it was a bad matchup. I was hoping they would get another team early on. Ashton went her freshman yr to Western and then on to UK for the remaining three. I wanted to multitask so while the game was on I went thru old magazines, folded clothes and other chores that I could while watching tv lol.
Ashton, is going to help clean windows and maybe the carpets next weekend.

Defoe, the GH looks good. I bought just a tiny one to try and do wishing it was bigger :) I have dls seeds to start today and others.

Janet, is Treflan like Preen? Is Snapshot? I am having a problem with wild onions I hate them!
I wish I had one of those propane torches to burn them. I think I would enjoy that :)
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 16, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9044980

Treflan and Preen are pretty much the same thing. Treflan's cheaper. You can get it in 40 lb bags. Snapshot has another ingredient in addition to the one that's also in Treflan. You can use Treflan in the garden but not Snapshot.

Ran down to Dad's and got the Treflan on the onions. Something had been in there, birds I guess, and pulled a few out of the ground and some of them had been pulled out and the bottom third eaten. I figure it was a groundhog or rabbit. Dad'll shoot if it's a groundhog but I'm sunk if it's a rabbit. Mom likes to sit in the family room and watch the rabbits in the upper yard play so there's no chance he's going to do anything with them.

If it's dry tomorrow I told the kids I wanted the dead brambles pulled out of the blackberries and the ornamental grass cut down. Probably wishful thinking.

Got some peppers that are finally sprouting. Sure takes them a long time. I think they like warmer soil than I was giving them. I seeded some more green peppers last night.

Bonnie, does your GH have shelves or did you have to make them yourself?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9045481

Janet, we had some shelves and I am hoping that will be enough, but if not, no problem, we will make do this year, and make some for next year. It is hard for me to judge just how many I will need. Like anything new there is a learning curve.

Never heard of any animals eating onions. Maybe a young one just experimenting, but usually one taste and they leave them alone.

I worked inside again today. Starting washing the things I have sitting on top of my cabinets, and cleaning the cabinets as I went. After yesterday climbing up and down the ladder, I lasted about 4 hours, and I cleaned the two windows and washed the curtains, got them back up and quit for the day. So I have about half of the cabinets to clean yet. Slowly but surely I will get the cleaning done.

We sure did have the rain last night. Don't know how much as we hadn't put the rain guage out yet, but we had wind, rain and hail for about 3 hours. Not the hail for that long, but the rain. We can tell how hard it rained, because a hard rain puts water almost in the garage, and it was on the apron this morning. Ground is squishy to walk on so it will be several days before any kind of work on the ground can take place.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9045864

Good morning all.
VERY foggy here this morning..but now the sun just came out...so it will burn off quickly..yayy. Supposed to be another NICE day here. I am so anxious to get outside and plant some things. I got a new variety of Siberian iris to plant...called Shaker's Prayer. Very pretty on the pkg.
I have lettuce, radishes, and tomatoes up in the greenhouse...wooohoooo!!
Don't see any growth on the celery yet. I planted the end of the celery stalk from the grocery . I read where you can plant that, and it will regrow...also...green onions from the store too. Actually, you can do the onions in a glass of water!
I tried that with the onions...it works...but you really have to keep the water changed...twice daily..if possible..or it gets pretty smelly!
I also have some bulbs to put into the ground...lol...don't know what they are???????
Duh. I put them in a mesh bag last fall, forgot to name them. They have sprouted big time! Dave says they are paperwhites...but? Guess I will plant them n see!
Had this cute poster on my Facebook. I thought it was cute!!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9045878

Marcy, I am surprised that you can plant anything outdoors. We have had so much rain that the ground is squishy to walk on.

The sun is out here, but we started off with fog.

We are waiting for DS to come by, and if he doesn't stay long, DGD and I are going shopping. The house cleaning can wait until the first of the week.

I got the laundry room painted this week, and the kitchen cabinets and things on top all cleaned. I cleaned the kitchen windows, and now I can see out of them, didn't realize they were so dirty that it distorted what I was looking at. hehe.

Okay, off to wait for DS.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9045983

We had to break down and buy Craig a car. He's happy but I'm not happy about having a car payment again. LOL We're going to pick it up soon.

Marcy, I was talking to an older man at the grocery yesterday and he already has tomatoes and cukes going on his back porch.

As much as I'm enjoying this weather, I'm wondering if we are going to get a winter attack still. I hate the thought but it's there. pffft.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9046475

I took some pictures of my bountiful daffodil harvest this year. These are the varieties that are blooming so far. I threw a grape hyacinth in there for comparison. Then I took my daffoldil collection and added it to my vase collection.
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom   Thumbnail by goshsmom   Thumbnail by goshsmom

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9046589

Pat very pretty. None of mine are blooming yet, just the common daffodils that are the old time variety. All of my bradford pears are in bloom, and the willow has catkins, and a weeping cherry. All blooming too soon I am afraid. May go out early in the morning and put together a bouquet to take to church.

Didn't get to go shopping today, but did take DGD to get her nails done. DS and his SO stayed until about 3:00. We rested a bit then went out to eat tonight. Seems we have been on the go ever since DGD has been here this weekend.

Watched the first half of the Ky basketball game, and it is on in the family room and DH coaching from his recliner. Not a pretty sight or sound, especially in a close game.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9047213

Chele, my tuberose has started to grow again for the season!! Should I divide it? I left it in the pot last year on the patio and then put pot and all in the garage for the winter. It looks a lot fuller than last year. I have one of the four shelf stands with a cover that Orscleine had for 15.00 . Will stuff be okay in it if it frosts? My winter sowed annuals are too big for the milk jugs, so I stuck them in there also. I , too, have a feeling we may still have some cold weather. A couple of years ago, it froze and allthe leaves came off of the trees and they had to re- sprout new leaves. And whenever I was in charge of the church Easter egg hunt, it snowed on Holy Saturday or Easter sunday.LOL

I bought a "Lawn Buddy" wheeled seat to use while weeding, and so far, I like it. My legs are really giving me a hard time this year. Have a great Sunday everyon! Lurker Lou
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9047266

Welllllll you guyssssss...think positive!!! It's NOT gonna get cold again...It's NOTTT!!! (and hope I'm right!)
Lou...Dave reminded me of that freeze or ice storm too..geeezzz.
Michele...that's where I'm at too...on buying a car. I really need to get one, but I just hate the thought of paying for it..lol!!
I love my little jeep, and would like to have another one, but Dave says I am really gonna pay for it if I do get one...?
Guess nothing is cheap these days!
Kids stayed overnight...and are still here. Guess Jim n Jeannine had a St. Patrick's Day party last night at their house...and of course...a bon fire. Don't wanna know what else..lol.
They must still be sleeping though.
Guess we will work outside this afternoon, weather permitting. Right this minute, the sun is shining, but that could change.
I might have to go look at this table at my friend's antique store. Thinking I might need it for my garden. Dave says I need to find a spot for it first..lol.
It's a glass top table...with about 6 inches space and then another bottom. She has a garden display in it...and that's what I want it for too. Only thing is...I have to buy table AND chairs...and I don't want or need the chairs!
I doubt if she will sell it separate though.
I knowwww...I don't really need it...butttttt!
Ok...better go round up some lunch here for these kiddos.
Ohhhh...Ashley tried out for cheerleading yesterday. She was supposed to find out after 5, and I havent heard a peep about it...so I'm thinkin maybe she didn't make it. I'm afraid to ask...geesh. Poor baby!
Well..guess she has to learn to take the bad with the good huh? We all did!
She is the one the other girls are holding!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9047310

Gosh, Marcy she has really grown. I remember seeing pics not that long ago of her being a little tiny girl. Another reminder that time is passing quickly.

Yep, I remember that year also, and I sure hope we don't have a repeat of that.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9048088

Lou, so long as the plants can take the temperature, shielding them from the frost should be fine. If the cooler temps are prolonged, they might need more protection.

I don't feel so bad about the payment Marcy. We got a decent deal and interest rate and went with longer terms so we can pay more but won't be in a horrible jam if the finances take a dive again. We have very minimal debt aside from raising the kids. LOL

Marcy, what are the table and chairs made of? Wood? Metal? I actually need 3 chairs but they have to be kid proof, sturdy and not overly expensive. I hope Ashley doesn't have a broken heart. Rejection stinks but allows the opportunity to work harder and get back in there. Unless it's a deal like we have here...things are way too competitive these days but they don't like it when you are too good either. Geeze.

Love the Daffs Pat! Wow!! You have a very nice variety. I love the minis. They'd get lost here though.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 19, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9048281

Chele, sorry you have to have another car. It so irritates me when something breaks down beyond repair. I think things I use should last forever! LOL!

Got my Christmas present yesterday. I found a 10 hp Troybilt tiller on Craigslist so we went to see it yesterday. Paint not even worn off the tines. The guy wanted $900 for it. It was given to him as payment for helping someone move and he'd never even started it since he'd gotten it. And fortunately he couldn't get it started either. DH looked it over and offered him $750 and we loaded it on the truck. When we got it home and he tinkered with it he found a kill switch that you had to release and it started right up. Does need a new battery for the electric start though.

Looks like everyone has been busy over the weekend. I need to take a day off and may later this week. I have a market meeting tomorrow night, trees to plant, daylilies to spray and potatoes to get cut up and planted. You're right Bonnie, if I didn't have to work I could get a heck of a lot done

Bonnie let me get the calendar and look about lunch. Got a 2 day training this week. YUK!!!

Saying that, I'd better get to work.

Have a good one y'all!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 19, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9048293

You are going to love that Troy Built! Hope you don't have many rocks. It tends to throw you when you hit a rock.
We are on our second one. 1st one the gears in the tines went out. Over $900 to fix. Somebody had one on Craig's for $450. We grabbed it!
Planted radishes yesterday. Last year first planting of anything was April 9.

Hey Chele, tell Craig not to run the wheels off that new car!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9048436

Good morning everyone.
Well..I was right...Ash didn't make the cheerleading. I thought she seemed pretty sad when she went to bed...but she didn't say anything, and was busy texting her friends...so I didn't either. Then when Jim came to pick them up Sunday afternoon, I heard him say to her that he was sorry she didn't make it.
So right away, I asked...and she said no..she didn't...but that was ok because she was going to play basketball next season plus volleyball!
Soooooo...we live n learn...right?? I know she was sad about it, but I still feel she was ok too...so that's what matters!
Chele...we went back to look at the table. I didn't buy it. After I looked at it again...I decided against it.
We loved our Troy Built too. And now that we don't raise a BIG garden...we don't even use it anymore! I doubt if it runs either...just sits in the barn...grrrr.
It's a big one 8 HP...electric start. Wonder if I can get Dave to sell it??
It hasn't even been used that much!
Well...it's off to get a bone scan today...geez..these drs.
Bone density scan that is...to see how my old bones are doing...lol.
AND...if they are bad...what ARE they going to do about it??????????? I mean...??????? Ohhh I knowwwww...they just made a lot of money from the scan...whoopieeeee!! LOL...sorry...just a little sarcasm there!
You all have a wonderful day...it's beautiful here already...warm..sunny...woooooohooo!!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9048493

Marcy, me too, grrr, make an appointment, go to the appointment, then are told you need to come back for such and such. Ha! just money for the Dr, and he is probably paying for his kids college or bought a new car, house etc.

Doing paper work first thing, and if there is any time left, I can go out and play in the dirt.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9049135

Got a picture of the weeping cherry that's outside the living room windows. This is the best it's looked in several years.
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9049425

Pat yours looks better than the one we have. However, last year when it finished blooming, I cut it way back. It does have plenty of blooms on it, but the hanging branches aren't hanging as long as they were last year!

DH mowed the yard today, and trimmed, looks so much better. I guess this is the earliest that he has ever mowed. Can you believe only March?

I had paperwork to do today, but when I finished that, went out and weeded the front bed. Holy cow, I think when DH isn't around, I am gonna sneak out there with the Roundup. He hates the stuff, but then again, he doesn't weed either!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9049497

Bonnie, this is the tree that started to have some rebellious branches growing upward a couple years ago. I ended up putting small plastic coke bottles with a little water in them to weight the branches down. It's worked pretty well, but I aimed the camera so that the coke bottles were't prominent.

I'm doing a real scour of all my paperwork, trying to get it organized so that I don't have to spend half my life looking for the correct piece of paper. I should have done this in January, but at least I'm getting to it now. I'm starting to label EVERYTHING. I haven't put a post it on my sister or the pets yet-- but I'm not ruling it out.
Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 20, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9049765

Was looking at my yard Sunday thinking that it needed mowing but I knew what DH was going to say. "It's too wet." And honestly, it was. There sure are some places that could stand a haircut though. I have 6 bareroot fruit trees that desperately need to be planted. I finally found a 25 gallon lick tub last night and put them in it and filled it with potting soil. At least that'll keep the roots moist until I can get it done.

I got another 50 lbs of potatoes cut up last night. 100 more and I'm done. If we're lucky maybe we'll get them in the ground before the end of the week. We've got this old horsedrawn tobacco setter that DH wants to set them with. Bernie, what do you all use? Right now I'm for anything that will save me some time and trouble.

Got a market meeting tonight. After that maybe I can get back on the taxes a bit. I'm slowly working my way through them. I can't seem to make myself do more than a little bit at a time. I do know this though, money ran through our hands like a leaky bucket. Repair bill here, feed bill there, new tractor that I wanted to commit murder for here, tractor repair bill there. If cows didn't eat and stuff break down I'd be a rich woman. Well, not rich but maybe a little bit better off!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 20, 2012

Post #9049858

No potatoes here this year. Potatoes bugs have been getting worse every year. This year they can starve to death!
Summer of 2010 they finished off the potatoes & moved to the eggplant. Finished off 500 plants in less than a week.
Last year they even ate the little potatoes forming underground. Potatoes are cheap here anyhow. Last night I saw a sign at the store, 5# for $1.28.
We do have a very old 2 row potato planter. Also a 2 row power digger.

Finally got some rain last night. Of course there was some damage about 40 miles NE of us. Lots of trees down.

Bernie
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 22, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9052392

Well, that was peachy, I had half a page typed and poof, it just disappeared. I HATE that.
Potates have gone down some in price here. I think I gave around $3 for 10 lb the other day. I'd hoped to get the potatoes in the ground before this rain coming in but still haven't got them all cut up. I'd take today off but I promised a disabled friend I'd have lunch with her in Harrodsburg since she's not able to drive further than that comfortably. I could back out and I know she'd understand but the last 100 lbs. hasn't gotten cut yet so I guess technically I'm not ready to plant potatoes yet. WIsh I had that potato digger for sure!

Bernie, sorry for the folks up there but sure glad you weren't in the middle of it. I remember about 15 years ago when straight line winds took out most of the buildings and a silo on my parents place. It was quite an emotional day.

Bonnie, I hate to mow grass. Sort of like washing dishes and clothes. It's always got to be done and it looks like my yard could stand one. My SIL mowed my MIL's on Tuesday. I knew she couldn't stand it much longer and she wouldn't wait until we got the grasshopper out. She'd rather push her guts out with a push mower than take 15 minutes on a mower. Go figure.

Better get dressed and get moving if I'm going to work this morning.

~~~~~~~~ to all that are still reading this thread...

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 22, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9052407

My local nursery got some awesome potato varieties, so I'm going to try growing a few plants this year. I can't resist the blue fingerling potato.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9055123

Wow...hope everyone is ok after all the storms????
My internet was down...but back up now..yayy. Cooled down here, but still tolerable.
Not sure how much rain we had ...but it was enough!
Ya'll better check in!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9055166

Marcy it sure was a wild afternoon, and evening here. Survived all the stuff, but my gosh, things were almost floating this morning. Nice and cool, just the way spring should be!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9055201

Checking, per Marcy's orders, LOL. Just got a visit from the plumber, who's going to write up a bid to get the basement bathroom habitable & useable. DS fell again this week & got a stress fracture in the foot she hadn't yet broken, so she's on a walker now, with an air cast.

Janet, I had to laugh about your vivid description of your SIL's mowing habits. 100 years ago, the summer that my husband and I separated, I had to tackle mowing the lawn with our ancient, motor-free push mower. I would drag it out and start on the berm strip, at which point the next door neighbor would feel sorry for me and send one of his sons over with a real mower. I don't think I ever mowed more than the berm.

We got a good drenching rain last night, along with plenty of thunder & lightning. The sidewalk is flooded in front, per usual, and the back yard was pretty squishy when I went out with my latest delivery of eggshells to the compost pile.

That's about it for the excitement of westside Cincinnati today.
Pat
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9055252

We got plenty of rain and wind but no bad storms. It is in the 60's today and sunny so can't complain asbout that. Been watching some great basketball games . To bad Indiana fell, but it was expected. Not much going on here. We have the gardens cleaned up and now it just weeding. This rain has really made them shoot up. But this is the time of year that I really enjoy working in the gardens. Not too hot and the ground is soft.

Enjoy the weekend. Lurker Lou
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 24, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9055481

Glad to hear everybody came through last night. It surprised me to hear that they had had a tornado warning in Louisville. They never tell us anything at work. Then last night I guess we slept through the entire thing. I was tired but I didn't think that tired. DD said it boomed and flashed and poured and I never heard a thing.

Been working on taxes today. The dreaded taxes. I did have to stop and help wash some market tables. The poor child that works for us can't seem to do anything unless there's someone with her. She said one of the tables wouldn't come clean and I got the scrub brush and actually put some muscle and dishwashing liquid on it and wouldn't ya know, dirt started sudsing off everywhere. I ended up washing and she rinsed and put them away. She's a sweet girl and has a good heart but just doesn't get it.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 24, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9055665

Went to the opening day of Baker's Acres today, and started sowing the seeds that germinate in warmth--tomatoes, peppers, basil, tropicals, and warm-weather annuals. "Winter-ish" sowed another flat of lettuce and greens, too.

Tomorrow, I'm repotting the begonias I bought today, and planting the perennials. Has anyone grown the variegated Knautia, "Thunder and Lightning"? It certainly has good-looking foliage. I'm also going to try not to kill Antirrhinum braun-blanketii again. I amended the soil to help it drain more in that spot. Bag of vermiculite, and two bags of sand dug in, I hope that does it.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2012

Post #9055752

Talked to Joyce today.
Kitten update: 2 Calicoes (females obviously) and one B &W (sex unknown at this time) up for grabs...
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012

Post #9055753

Celene - I wanted to go to Baker's today!! But, thought it was a bit early for me to get anything. If it gets cold again, I don't have anywhere to bring the plants inside. And thought they would be really busy. Might go later this week and look for some pansies for my front porch pot. Then again, with this weather, maybe I should just skip pansies and wait to do the regular annuals.

Instead, I went for a walk around Granville. I saw a dogwood, lilac, tulips blooming! What a strange year!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012

Post #9055761

Janet some people have to have someone with them to do the work while they stand and watch.

I ordered some flower seeds from Burpee, and they came on Friday, and I sowed them today. We are needing some more shelves, as DH is starting tomatoes for everybody in the county I think. told him I didn't care except that I would have my things in there, now if it gets too crowded, some of his can go outside!

Janet, if we had storms during the night I didn't hear them either, and I stayed up until almost 1;00 watching Ky basketball. Maybe I was so tired that when I did go to bed that I died. Not looking too good on the basketball. Since Louisville won this afternoon, if Ky beats Baylor tomorrow, that will mean a rematch between Louisville and Kentucky. Told DH that I definitely WILL NOT WATCH that game, so I may need somebody to come take me someplace that night. I just get too nervous, and it is one of the games that I would rather hear about on the news.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9055864

OK, I have entered a strange twilight age zone, one where I have started keeping track of an Animal Planet show called Too Cute. There's a warning at the beginning about how the material may just be too cute, and it's true. It's just the first few months of 3 different breeds of cats or dogs lives. But they are so cute!!!!!

Bloom report: all the weeping cherries are done here, and the crabs are in blossom. The dogwood flowers opened up yesterday. The neighbor's tulip tree and pear trees are blooming, as are the redbuds. Even the lilacs are blooming. All the daffodils are blooming (or done), muscari are up, fritillaria are breaking through the ground, and my "late" tulips are in full bloom. What a spring.
Pat

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 25, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9056049

Ric, can you or Joyce text me a photo of the babies? I know at least one of my clients really, really needs a kitty after he put his cat to sleep last fall.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9056203

Well...so good to hear from you all...lol! Really! Glad everyone is ok...and yes it sure is a weird spring..but I am lovin it!
Cooler now...but like Bonnie said..that's ok. I actually like it a bit cooler to work outside. And with the rain we had...pulling weeds and picking leaves out of beds is soo much easier too!
Still trying to catch up on things around here. We will be working outside again today. I would like to take some pics...but need to get things cleaned up a bit more before I do that.
Isn't it about time for our roundup??? Big smiless!!
I did see the pic of Celene n hubby at Baker's Acres on my FB page. I would so like to go there myself! Maybe we shall get there this spring sometime. I can't believe I haven't been to even ONE nursery yet this spring!! I usually go in February...when there is nothing to see...lol!!
Ok...gonna get moving here..and get busy! Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 25, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9056263

We should organize a trip to Baker's. It'd be great!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 25, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9056661

Anybody for a new thread?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248598/

I'm not very good at this obviously...

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 5:40 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America