Photo by Melody

Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective: Toxic Houseplants & One Cat's Preference

Communities > Forums > Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary PerspectiveReplies: 1, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mewyant
Foster, RI

January 2, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #8951409

I had a cat (who survived until the age of 17) who liked to nibble on Christmas cacti since the leaves were crunchy. I had to hang up the plant.

I bought a crown of thorns - shrub sized. These can also be toxic. Figured she would leave that one alone because of the thorns. Then she started to nibble on the leaves. Had to hang up that plant, too.

She never showed an ill effect from either. But I didn't take any chances. Hung them up before she could eat them in quantity.

She absolutely adored miniature roses. She ate a couple of them before I gave up on those.

Don't know how she made her selections, as some plants she totally ignored, some she ate, and some she just killed!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #8952604

Crown of Thorns are not very toxic and if enough is eaten to create a toxicity, most pets will promptly vomit it up and the toxicity is over with.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you! nedweenie 0 Dec 12, 2007 12:33 PM
Good information ViburnumValley 5 Dec 17, 2007 8:56 PM
I'd always wondered about that digigirl 0 Dec 12, 2007 3:00 PM
Finally! Someone with some sense! plantfreak78 2 Dec 23, 2007 2:53 PM
Yahoo! one less thing to worry me☺ posyblossom 1 Dec 12, 2007 7:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America