Photo by Melody

Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale: If one ate ornamental kale...

Communities > Forums > Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale
bookmark
Forum: Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible KaleReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #8951415

...not knowing the distinction between ornamental and edible, would one get sick? Up to this article, I thought all kale was edible. I thought maybe some varieties might be more bitter than others, but edible, nonetheless.

Here is a pic of my Redbor, I grow it in a dish pot every year, along with arugula and whatever else I find at the nursery. Nice to have fresh greens in Dec-Jan.

Thanks for the good info.

PS: I can't stand the Chik-Fil-A ad b/c of the misspelling of chicken. I shudder at the thought of the countless people who spell it "chikin", thinking it's the right way. ugh!

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 3, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #8952841

vossner;
Have you eaten this redbor?
Have you eaten the real curly type of kale?
If so, how do the two compare?
If the redbor is any good - is it easy to raise?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #8953330

Yes, I have eaten the Redbor. I ran it thru my juicer and though I used tender leaves, I thought it was a little strong. However, I mixed it w/ orange juice and it was quite delicious. In the past I've chopped a couple of (again) tender leaves for salads and they seemed fine. I think the Redbor is easy to grow from seed bit I just bought a 4" plant at the nursery.

Have never eaten the really curly type. Have only planted as an ornamental and only when I find a bargain.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 3, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #8953552

Vossner;
Thanks for the information.
I messed up and bought kale some seeds by mistake. I had never grown any before. It was the best thing I had had. I had it in salads, I had it in a bean soup and I steamed it. I am going to grow it next year too. If Redbor is strong I guess I won't bother with it and get another variety -- but four foot?? Wow! Jjust for that alone it might be worth it.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2012 10:03 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kale is edible! ggardens 4 Jan 5, 2012 8:06 PM
Kale: Yes, it's all edible TexasTam 2 Jan 5, 2012 6:04 AM
Kale; making a new market. CountryGardens 2 Jan 3, 2012 2:07 PM
Good info! Sundownr 4 Jan 10, 2012 3:15 PM
About Ornamental Kale. Orchid22 1 Jan 3, 2012 9:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America