Photo by Melody

Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale: Kale is edible!

Communities > Forums > Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale
bookmark
Forum: Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible KaleReplies: 4, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ggardens
Mason, MI

January 2, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #8951489

I must contest your premise (and article title). No matter that it was bred to be pleasing to the eye, may have a slightly different taste and nutritional make-up, it is still kale!

I grow ornamental kale and cabbage because not only is it extra tender, succulent and mild, but it is also ornamental. Same goes for ornamental peppers, eggplant, red-flowered snap beans etc. There is a misnomer out there that ornamentals are somehow no longer the original plant or actually become poisonous because they're pretty. Not true!
kentepoz
Malinalco
Mexico

January 2, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #8951508

Great article on a vegie that has risen out of obscurity in the past decade on the back of it's virtual storehouse of nutrients and easy culture.
Even a gardening Lucrecia Borgia couldn't kill a kale plant!
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #8952804

Thanks - yes, we've had some confusion on my use of "edible" vs. "ornamental" - my apologies. All kale is indeed edible.
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

January 5, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #8956181

Okay, now I've read more of the threads.
Agreed, "ornamental" peppers are grown for their beauty more than their taste or eating use. The same is true of the Sweet Potato Vines (and we grow myriad varieties commercially) FOR their ornamental use. The same would be true for our fall ornamental cabbage and kale.
From what I understand though, ornamentals COULD have food use. The one caution is that food grown for eating is often more carefully grown re. pesticides and fertilizers. Once a plant joins the food chain, there may be greater restrictions on those products, right?
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

January 5, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #8956182

This message was edited Jan 5, 2012 11:07 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If one ate ornamental kale... vossner 3 Jan 3, 2012 6:54 PM
Kale: Yes, it's all edible TexasTam 2 Jan 5, 2012 6:04 AM
Kale; making a new market. CountryGardens 2 Jan 3, 2012 2:07 PM
Good info! Sundownr 4 Jan 10, 2012 3:15 PM
About Ornamental Kale. Orchid22 1 Jan 3, 2012 9:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America