Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sanhla
Tucson, AZ

January 2, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #8951718

A herd of javalina/pecari wild pigs ate up my tomato plants and some other flowering plants last week. Seeking advice. Cannot put up fence at the particular area because of home owner association rules. I am in Marana, a Tucson suburb. My home is 1/2 mile from a National Forest where the pigs live and roam. What vegetable will they not eat?
npublici
Zephyrhills, FL

January 5, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #8955462

I don't know of anything, having nutrition, a pig won't eat.
Del
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 8, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #8959650

Pigs will eat ANYTHING...we used to raise hogs and I know this. However, I must admend that comment...they will not eat corncobs. Anything else is fair game. No matter if it is rotten, stinky, and slimey and the grossest thing on the earth. A feast for hogs.
bsharf
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #8960165

The real problem with pigs is they will root up everything with their snouts. Our garden club put in several big beds of spreading junipers in a county park. They figured the wild hogs wouldn't be interested in them. Within a week, all the plants were uprooted, and the beds had been well fertilized by the hogs. My husband claims that pigs won't eat citrus. I personally have my doubts about that.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 9, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #8960262

Hmmm...I don't remember if they ate the grapefruit rinds when I threw them out there. I used to always take my kitchen trash up to the pigs. It was just kitchen scraps, newspaper and old magazines. I would put it all up in the part where they sleep, and they would have great fun making "bedding" out of the paper. They LOVED to chew up paper. And they ate the kitchen "stuff". We haven't had pigs for 10 years now, and the mind is getting cloudy. LOLOL
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9005566

Catch and release ----far away..
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9005568

My brother lives in Tucson at the foot of Mt. Lemon.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America