Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Brugmansias: Seeds / Cuttings

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 9, Views: 209
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #8952360

I am wanting to have Brugmansia again. I have been trying to find seeds, but it appears that everyone is out. I would like seeds or better yet, cuttings from above the Y. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Marie
(I can't get to most of my photos, so I added this one.)

Thumbnail by MyRee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jerodsmom
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #8963967

Maria, If you will send me an e-mail, I can send you some seeds. I don't have any cuttings ready at this time as our nights are freezing.

Patricia
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #8964210

Patricia, thanks so much. You have a D-mail
:) Marie
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #8964564

Hi, Patricia!!! Hugs from Jo
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9016699

Can you give me some tips on Brug seeds, I am in the process of trying to germinate a few that were sent to me and so far I have not had any signs of anything...
I was told to soak the dry seeds for about 2 days, then to place them into a baggy with a damp paper towel until I saw some germination. They have been in the baggy a week:O)
jerodsmom
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9017413

Buffy690, I can't help you with doing it that way. I soak mine for a couple day's and then peel off the outer corky coating. I then plant them about 1/8 inch deep in good seed starting mix and then put them on a heat mat under lights.
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9017703

I am no help either. I know there are forums on how to start them. I have 7 that have sprouted and many that have not. Waiting, Waiting.
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9017842

Well they are staying damp in their current situation so maybe tomorrow, I'll take em out and plant em up. They should grow in the same settings as my datura...Right...?
I just have them in about a 70 degreesF window that gets light most of the day.And they popped up after about 6 days being planted (YAY)
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9018534

Buffy,

There are many ways to provide the needed conditions the seeds need to germinate: light, humidity, and a sterile starting media.

Using a sterile growing media is very important. It helps prevent damp off and the growth of other seed killing organisms. Brug seeds need light to germinate so don't bury them too deep. Barely cover them or press them to the growing media surface to make sure there is soil/seed contact. The growing media needs to remain barely moist. If the media is too wet, the embryo will rot and literally turn to mush. Increasing the air humidity helps germination without adding water to the soil. It also helps the emerging seedling come up cleanly and from sticking to the seed coat. To increase air humdity, use whatever method is easiest for you. Using an extra light source, keeps the seedlings stocky.

If the temperature of the growing media/room is in the low 70s, you don't need any extra heat sources. The corky cover doesn't have to be removed, but by doing so, you'll know exactly how many seeds you actually start off with. You can remove the cork before or after you soak the seed. I like to remove the corky cover while the seeds are still dry because I tend to injure the seed if I soak it first. The uncorked seeds just need a few hours soaking.

I know starting seeds in wet paper towels is very popular, but the sprouted seeds need to be removed from the paper towel before the roots emerge or they will be damaged. The fragile little feeder roots quickly grow into the paper towel fibers and break off as you lift the seed off the towel. If you want to increase your success rate with seedlings, don't use this method.
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9018767

When I use the paper towel method I actually tear the piece of paper with it if they become attacded...LOL
I have removed the cork outer parts and was amazed at how much like apple seeds they looked...LOL
They are all in a larg container with a scant amt of soil and for perennials I usually do not follow a strict soaking everyday
so we should be good
I am excited to see what comes, I will have to put the crossings down next time around, The girl that sent me the seed has not grown any out so far so I am hoping for something exciting and new to make my neighbors jealous...LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America