Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: 2012 Yearlists

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 200, Views: 1,332
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #8953088

Anyone else keeping a yearlist of everything they've seen/heard this year?

Got to 64 species on 1st, and 100 on 2nd. Not been out today (bad weather!). Best birds on 1st, Kingfisher, Short-eared Owl; on 2nd, Lesser Scaup, Desert Wheatear, Whooper Swan (pic), Greater White-fronted Goose, Bean Goose.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #8954789

I think I'm going to do a yearly list, as encouraged by a real twitcher friend I've met in my town. He has a county record for 2011. I'm not going for any records, but just to have a list. I'll have to be better about logging into Ebird.

Got a lifer today though. Both male and female White-winged Crossbills. They were eating seeds on conifers along with Pine Siskins and Black-capped Chickadees.

TERRIBLE photos though.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #8955195

I've never actually made a list but I think I'll make one this year-thanks for the suggestion Resin. You certainly did well on your lists.

Mrs Ed, congrats on the crossbills! When you're on ebird, be sure and sign up for the rarities emails-they're pretty interesting and you'll be able to see the map locations of the sightings.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #8955542

I think it's neat you started this thread because two days ago, I decided to do a year list. We are now at 21. I am thrilled we already have the Bald Eagle this year.

Our life list grew quite a bit last year because we were actively birding. Out of all the birds we've ever seen, we saw all but two last year. I thought it was cool we saw 106 different birds in 2011. The only two we did not see were the Ruddy Duck and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo. I am curious to see how we do this year.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #8956539

Well I'm at "15". LOL but that does not (yet) count all the birds I have seen just driving i.e., ring billed gulls, canada geese, mallard, rock pigeon, etc. I'll officially add those on the weekend.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #8956620

Good starts all! White-winged Crossbill is a very good one to get!

Added two more to my yearlist today, Common Snipe and Water Rail, = 102

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 6, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #8957340

32 so far. The only ones that are usually not seen locally are the Red-tailed Black Cockatoos.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #8957389

I've started a year list too. Thanks for mentioning it Resin. Twelve for me so far. No Redpolls or Bohemian Waxwings this year yet. My unusual one was, the Ruffed Grouse.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #8958308

I'm up to 23. Lots of Redpoll sightings, hoping they'll drop in this year.

Nice Grouse!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #8959430

I'm up to 32 just at my home already. I didn't realize I had so many different species.

Great shot of the grouse Burn!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #8959432

I'm envious of that Ruffed Grouse ;-)

Two more for me today, Great Grey Shrike (pic) and Fieldfare, = 104

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #8959705

I am at 40 here on the farm. Had a Bewicks Wren yesterday but the Carolina Wrens are hiding out so far this year. I am surprised at the variety around here and still have not seen a Fox, Lincolns or Harris Sparrow. Still watching for a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and that will give me 6 varieties of woodpeckers. I would faint if a Red-Headed showed up!

I am jealous of the Crossbills, Grouse and all of Resins!!

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 9, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #8960313

Love that Ruffed Grouse burn!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #8960336

This is kind of silly. We have to travel elsewhere to see our "usual". We got a Cardinal yesterday about 30 miles from home. The weather is sure doing something.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #8960474

Two more for me today, Common Redpoll (105) and Lesser Redpoll (106).

I'd have to go a very long way to see a Cardinal! The flock at the Vatican are the closest, and they don't really count ;-)

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #8963481

A run up to Holy Island took the yearlist to 119:
Brent Goose
Little Egret
Grey Plover
Merlin
Sky Lark
Slavonian Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Peregrine Falcon
Greenshank
Common Scoter
Razorbill
Fulmar
Kittiwake

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #8963715

That was funny, Resin. LOLOL
We are up to 26. A Cooper's Hawk and Great-horned Owls came to the yard a couple times. We also gained a lifer, Cackling Goose. We hope to go out Saturday to some city parks and add a few more to that number. I think we might be crazy though with the temp being in the single digits. Layers upon layers and hot cocoa should help keep us somewhat comfortable.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #8964663

25 here! Better watch out Resin!!!!!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #8976294

A trip inland, five new for the year brings the total to 124:

Green Sandpiper
Brambling
Green Woodpecker
Crossbill
Marsh Tit

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #8977135

Resin, do you have lots of spring migrants?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #8977492

Yep, some, but not so very many - because Britain has very mild winters and relatively cool summers, most birds are resident rather than migratory. We also get a lot of winter visitors from the arctic too. My 2011 total was 214, so in the first 3 weeks, I've already seen well over half of the total number of species I'm likely to get this year.

You'll all catch up and overtake in May when your flood of summer visitors arrive ;-)

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #8979020

One new today, Iceland Gull = 125

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #8980501

Yes, I'll get a bunch of new ones in April and May. More if I look but probably still unlikely to top your numbers. I'm a terrible bird watcher in the field. To impatient and don't know the calls.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #8981653

I added a new one today, Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. However, my count did not go up, but down as I had a couple of species duplicated!

So I'm down to 24. Boo.
American Bald Eagle
American Crow
American Goldfinch
Black-capped Chickadee
Blue Jay
Bufflehead
Canada Goose
Common Redpoll
Cooper's Hawk
Dark-eyed Junco
Downy Woodpecker
European Starling
House Finch
House Sparrow
Mallard
Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Pine Siskin
Red-tailed Hawk
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeon
White-breasted Nuthatch
White-winged Crossbill
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

This message was edited Jan 25, 2012 9:32 AM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #8982130

18 there that are not on my yearlist - the 6 shared are: Canada Goose, Mallard, Rock Pigeon, Common Redpoll, European Starling, House Sparrow. Three introductions one way, one introduction the other way (Canada Goose), and just two (Mallard & Common Redpoll) native to both continents.

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012

Post #8983162

Five more today to 130:

Bewick's Swan
European Stonechat
Meadow Pipit
Black Redstart
Common Guillemot (Murre)

Didn't take any pics today, but here's a Stonechat pic from earlier

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 26, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #8983376

Wow, you're doing well. What's the prize for the person with the longest list by the end of the year?

I'm on 49.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

January 26, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #8983609

Resin , your on a Roll !!!!

No new ones for me. I won`t be the one winning for sure, if ever there`s a prize.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #8985833

25. Sharp-shinned hawk. Also a lifer (and therefore also a first in the yard)

It was mesmerizing to watch. The bird landed on the ground, then proceeded to stalk the sparrows in the christmas tree. So much for providing cover.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #8985945

Hmmm . . . sorry, but looks more like a Cooper's to me, the legs aren't exactly 'sharp', and the bill is heavy too.

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #8985971

Really? rats. Well it was a small one.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #8986996

One new today: Lesser Black-backed Gull 131.

Also got my 2nd Iceland Gull of the year, this time standing still for a pic (light was poor, though!) with an immature Great Black-backed Gull here.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #8987089

Hey, congratulations. So it turns out I AM at 25 because I forgot to add an American Kestrel. I saw a second one today so that reminded me. I have to get better at this list making. Ha.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

January 29, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #8987471

Wow Marna, it a really great pic of it too. I have difficulty telling them apart, too. If I see it in the tree, I can pretty much tell by their size. They are just a bit bigger to the Mourning Dove in size, but I can't tell the difference in pictures. I have a Copper's hanging around. He has had some successful hunt on the Mourning Doves. Crows were chasing it yesterday, with it's prey in his talons.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #8987699

Thanks Burn. I've been looking at more pictures online and saw some pix of people holding the bird, getting a better idea of the size. This one must just have been a small Coopers, it was about the size of a crow I'd guess.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #8987786

Cool thread! Y'all are seeing some awesome birds! I did my first year list last year and ended with 336 which was great for me (more than double what my life list had been), but most big birders in Texas get 400 per year. I'm hoping to get that high this year. I'll have to make a trip to west Texas and to the Rio Grand Valley. So far this year, I'm at 149.

My friend quoted someone who said that having a year list was like "making a date with a bird." I love that. I drove by an empty lot a few weeks ago and saw 3 Eurasian Collared Doves and I was so excited to see them! It's fun.

The other thing that birders are doing around here is the Century Club where you get 100+ species in each of 5 counties. They're trying to encourage people to bird in counties that don't usually draw birders. I want to do that this year too. It's based on your life list which makes it easier, so I have enough in 2 counties. I just need to get 3 more and I'm pretty close in 2 of them. This counting business gets kind of crazy!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #8987946

Wanted to mention one more thing. If you're not doing ebird, you might want to start b/c there are couple of really neat features. You can sign up for rare bird alerts and "needs" lists where they tell you if a bird you haven't seen yet is in your area.

They just changed the rare bird alerts so you can do them for a smaller area. For example, I get one for my county. Lately b/c of the drought we've been getting western birds that we don't usually see. They're not rare for Texas, so they didn't use to show up on the rare bird alert, but they are rare for Harris County, so I get them on my Harris County rare bird alert. It's a lot easier to get your numbers up if you can get those unusual birds close to home, and it's really exciting to see them! I can think of 10 birds right off the bat that are already on my year list that are rare for this area, and I only found 3 of them on my own. I went looking for six of the others b/c of ebird reports. I only have 1 from a friend calling me about a bird, so ebird is really helping me.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #8991186

Elphaba wrote:The other thing that birders are doing around here is the Century Club where you get 100+ species in each of 5 counties. They're trying to encourage people to bird in counties that don't usually draw birders. I want to do that this year too. It's based on your life list which makes it easier, so I have enough in 2 counties. I just need to get 3 more and I'm pretty close in 2 of them. This counting business gets kind of crazy!

Interesting, that's a bit the reverse of here, where people are encouraged to stick to their home counties as much as possible, "green" birding to reduce travel and fuel waste. My 2012 yearlist is (so far) all in Northumberland, though I do go outside to adjoining counties occasionally if there's a particularly rare bird to see.

One more today, Jack Snipe 132.

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #8993119

Yep, birders around here are definitely wasting fuel and emitting nasty air pollution, but we usually go in groups, so do we get points for car pooling?

Got some birds yesterday including a rare one for this area, a Say's Phoebe. It's been seen for a while and I've tried 2 or 3 times before to see it, so was pretty glad I finally saw it before leaves. I'm now up to 154. My friend only got one new bird yesterday, so I guess I'm already behind.

Saw a Ruby-throated hummer yesterday, so looks like they are already headed north!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #8993543

This post has been keeping busy since the last time I looked.

I am now at a whopping 35! But one of the last ones is the Western Meadowlark. I first heard it singing Tuesday, but actually saw it Wednesday foraging in our north pasture. Tuesday we went walking and saw our first of the year Red-winged Blackbirds, another we usually don't see until spring.

I've used Ebird for about a year now and enjoy it. A few months ago, I signed up for "needs" in my county and one we visit frequently. When we visit the neighbouring county it usually is for seeing birds we wouldn't around home. We'd go to the dam, wooded areas, etc. Well, I ended up cancelling that county's needs because I was getting daily alerts for Starlings and House Sparrows. They're on my life list at Ebird, just not for that county.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #8993591

Yep, car pooling is a definite +++! But of course I would say that, since I can't drive myself so have to rely on it for getting around any distance ;-)

3 more today to 135:
Red-legged Partridge
Spotted Redshank
Great Northern Diver (a.k.a. Common Loon)

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #8994257

Great Bittern 136

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #8994305

Wow everyone is going so fast!! I heard about two new ones (for the year) down at the river, so I'll swing by there today.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #8994384

Mrs. Ed,
I am finally taking time to read through all the comments. I am another that is terrible in the field. We probably miss so much unless we are with the birding club. Yes, going out with them has put a few more numbers for my life list, but they don't "feel" like the ones that come in my yard where I can spend time getting to know them.
I thought I had a Sharp-shinned this year, too. I was so disappointed when someone told me the legs were too chunky for a Sharpie. Ah, well... I hope you see the birds today.

We went on an Owl Prowl last night. (Brr... ) We learned about the owls in our area, but didn't hear any, so nothing for the year or life list. We have Great Horned neighbors who entertain us with their calls. My husband was not happy when one woke him up, though.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #8994453

Resin, those are GREAT birds and what a FABULOUS pic of the bittern! Love it!

Chilly, can't think of a better way to wake up than to the sound of Great Horned Owls! Awesome. We saw a couple the other day while the sun was still up and they were calling to each other. It was so cool. I took a few pictures but my pics were just horrible, but it was great to see.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9009178

Up into the hills today to get two more . . .

Black Grouse 137
Red Grouse 138

First time I've ever managed a photo of a Black Grouse, they're usually very shy and stay well away from people, but this one (a first-winter male) was much more confiding.

How's everyone else getting on?

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 16, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9009488

Nice shot of the Grouse, Resin.

I'm at 50.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 16, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9009492

I really don't do a year list, but taking part in the Great bird count this weekend. Without snow this winter there is less activity at the feeder. the one day with a couple of inches our resident pair of cardinals showed up. Just saw them one other day. With the unusual weather in Europe, is it making a differnce in bird sightings?

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9009594

Resin, amazing grouse shot, amazing bird to see!

Iris, I used to just do the GBBC too and swore that I would never count birds for any other reason b/c I thought it turned me into a nut. I was right. I'm totally nuts now, so I think you're doing the right thing! Hope you have lots of birds. We're supposed to have bad weather too. In fact, I need to get out there and make sure the gutters are clean.

I'm at 172. Winter through early May is the best birding time here though, so I have to get as many as I can now. This is not the best photo but it shows how colorful he's getting. This is a Palm Warbler but its the eastern/yellow one that we rarely see here. It was my first Palm Warbler of the year.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 17, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9009745

No snow, so no one at the feeder this morning. they must know that they are being counted. Have to go to supermarket & count gulls on the roof.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9009902

irisMA wrote:With the unusual weather in Europe, is it making a differnce in bird sightings?

Not sure, but probably yes. I'm not in the part of Europe that's been affected (mainly central and southeastern areas: Netherlands south to Italy and east to Ukraine and Greece) so it hasn't made any difference here. It's been a very mild winter here, the deepest snow I've had so far this winter is just 3 mm (a light dusting!), and the coldest temperature -4°C.

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 17, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9010369

Resin wrote:

Not sure, but probably yes. I'm not in the part of Europe that's been affected (mainly central and southeastern areas: Netherlands south to Italy and east to Ukraine and Greece) so it hasn't made any difference here. It's been a very mild winter here, the deepest snow I've had so far this winter is just 3 mm (a light dusting!), and the coldest temperature -4°C.

Resin

My God, that IS mild for you.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 17, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9010421

they are complaining about ice & the temp near London. did someone turn Britain upside down?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9010449

I have a couple more to add, but I have to figure out what yet. I think Tundra Swan and Common Merganser, but my pix are not great. I've heard about a snowy owl 1/2 an hour or so from here so I might have to go tomorrow.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9010530

irisMA wrote:they are complaining about ice & the temp near London. did someone turn Britain upside down?

Yes, warmest in the northwest of Britain this winter, coldest in the southeast.

The whole of Europe has been turned upside down too, I read that on 30 January, the warmest place in Norway was +7°C . . . at Longyearbyen in Spitzbergen . . . 78°N latitude in the Arctic Ocean! (a new January record there, and warmer than it usually is there in July!!)

And on 7 February, I read that it was +4°C in the middle of the night at Kiruna in arctic Sweden (68°N, 500m altitude), while places in Austria were below -35°C at the same time (which is what you'd expect in Kiruna).

Completely crazy!

But that's the results of global warming for you.

Resin

PS Good luck with the Snowy Owl!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9014686

got the owl! was soooo far away, but I'm happy nonetheless!

I'm up to 33, having confirmed the Common Merganser by photo.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9027602

Congrats on the owl!

Been forgetting to update here!

139 Goshawk 24 Feb
140 Northern Gannet 24 Feb
141 Black Guillemot 24 Feb
142 Great Crested Grebe 28 Feb
143 Little Owl 28 Feb
144 Greater Scaup 01 Mar
145 Green-winged Teal 01 Mar

Resin

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 2, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9027695

I'm not really keeping a list, but I was so very glad to see the red bellied woodpecker on the suet feeder. We have the type with a long tailboard hoping for piliated wps, but will certainly take the other.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9029635

Congratulations, Mrs. Ed. That is a great bird to have on any list!

We're at 48 with our last bird being a Killdeer. I hope we can gain a few more next Saturday with the birding club meeting then.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9029900

So besides the Owl, I had these, bringing me up to 36.

32. Hairy Woodpecker
33. Snowy Owl
34. Brown Creeper
35. Red-winged Blackbird
36. American Robin

Although I wanted to see it in the theater, I didn't get a chance… so last night I rented The Big Year. I can't imagine trying to see 700+ birds in one year!!!! Really fun movie.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9030756

I am sure I will not soon see a Brown Creeper, Mrs. Ed. Are they common in your area?

We gained #49 yesterday, a Common Redpoll. We've been begging him to come again today to be counted for Project FeederWatch, but he's not obliged. :( Plenty of House Finches are here.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9030765

Saw a Belted Kingfisher at Bennett Springs bringing yearly total to 50. Have not seen a Redpoll, Snowy Owl or Brown Creeper. I am losing hope...whine...LOL!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9031014

Chilly, I get Brown Creepers throughout the winter. This was probably not one of my regulars though, as It had been a while since I'd seen them. They show up at my place usually when it is getting dark, of course!

Ha. Rose, soon you will be ambushed with all those grassland birds of yours. I suppose my next yard bird will be an Eastern Towhee in a few weeks. Usually have those at the end of March. I did not have an American Tree sparrow here this winter though. I saw some in December somewhere else.

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9031054

Lily...I've had Eastern Towhee's all winter...first time I've had that happen.

I think the next bird to show up for spring will be the Dickcissel...can't wait to hear their song!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9031209

Dellrose, have you heard any Meadowlarks yet? We've been hearing regularly the Westerns. I am now waiting for the Easterns to show up, and the Bobolinks and Dickcissels. My husband is going to try and live through his grass pollen allergy, so we can keep the Bobolinks here.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9031223

Chillybean we have had Meadowlarks for the past month and the numbers are increasing daily. Although the Western are also in the state I can't tell the difference so just assume the ones we have on the farm are Eastern Meadowlarks. I just found out about a field that has Bobolinks the first of April and the owner (DH's cousin) will call me when she sees them! I've never seen a male so am jazzed to see one!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9031336

One more for me today:

Hen Harrier 146

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9031444

Closing in on 150 there Resin!
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

March 6, 2012
3:05 AM

Post #9031793

I started keeping a list a couple of years ago because I couldn't recall what I'd seen and I wanted to keep track of the birds and their dates in my yard. Only added one bird from the past, just went forward so I have seen many birds that are not on my list. I'm not OCD about compiling a big list. Not saying I'm opposed to building a big year or list, just not my cup of tea to jump in the car every time I see a new bird on the list and drive to the other end of the state or country.

Went looking for one specific out of range bird yesterday in one of my favorite haunts, the Wichita Mountains. We were fortunate enough to watch an Acorn Woodpecker for about an hour. It's always gratifying to hunt one specific bird and find it, but I had some good info and help. Busy little bird stashing food and not at all camera shy. Also saw my first wild River Otter and that was a thrill. I found some extensive dens where they are obviously spending time. The Acorn brings my year list to 142. A trip to High Island next month will boost that. I'll get to see more warblers in a week than I'd see all year here. My interest in nature is much broader than birds. When people ask me if I'm a birder, my normal response is "I'm a naturalist and I have an interest in birds."

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9031876

After last year's good spring showing, I'm really interested in seeing how many I get in my yard each year. Also, I have NO idea what my life list is at. I suppose I should compile that some day. LOL.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9034735

Mrs_Ed wrote:Closing in on 150 there Resin!

And one closer!

Egyptian Goose 147

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9035749

Eastern Meadowlarks, Brown-headed Cowbirds (just terrible) and Rusty Blackbirds (lifers) bring us to 52.

Dellrose, maybe find recordings of the different Meadowlark songs. There's several online. That's how we best ID them as we do not often get close enough to see the markings. We started having the Westerns sing late January. It is quite interesting to be outside and hear both kinds going at the same time.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9037300

Little did I realize we would gain such a big jump from today's field trip. I will not list them all, but we are up to 71. The highlights being Hooded Mergansers, Northern Shovelers and a Golden Eagle. We gained 13 lifers from this outing. For fun I wrote down every species we saw today and have 48 in all from before we left home until we got back. It was a wild, but fun day, one we will not soon forget.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9037313

Sounds a good day! Go on, post the day list!

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012

Post #9037351

OK... You asked for it. :) These are just from today. There are a couple sub-species, but like other birders we know, we will give them separate entries if they are listed separately in the field guides. Those are the Juncos and the and Blue Goose.

House Sparrow
Common Grackle
American Crow
Red-winged Blackbird
Rock Dove
American Robin
Mourning Dove
American Goldfinch
Eastern Meadowlark
Tufted Titmouse
Northern Cardinal
Blue Jay
Eastern Bluebird
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Slate-colored Junco
Oregon Junco
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Kestrel
Eastern Phoebe
Black-capped Chickadee
Ring-billed Gull
Mallard
Canada Goose
Blue-winged Teal
Grean-winged Teal
Bufflehead
Redhead
American White Pelican
Snow Goose
Greater White-fronted Goose
Fox Sparrow
Goldeneye
Ruddy Duck
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Ring-necked Duck
Great Horned Owl
Herring Gull
Gadwall
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Blue Goose- Dark Morph Snow Goose
Bald Eagle
Golden Eagle

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 7:52 AM

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 12:15 PM

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 10, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9037499

WOW!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9039572

That's a nice day indeed.

I'm up to 38, with some spring additions… Common Grackle and Great Blue Heron.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9041456

Chily, that's a GREAT day! Can't believe you saw both eagles, all those geese and two kinds of juncos and just about every duck I can think of in a single day! Wonderful!

I'm up to 199 with 186 in Texas. My last three were Ring-necked Pheasant in Nebraska which was a lifer, Curve-billed Thrasher outside the Amarillo Visitor's Center and Cattle Egrets at the Addicks Dam yesterday evening.

I'm just itchin' to get that 200th bird, but instead I'm waiting for the plumber to come for the 3rd time to get my brand new water heater to work. My dad kept going on and on about my old water heater telling me it was going to explode. At least it worked!

A friend and I were about tied. Now, he's down in Loredo racking up birds! He sent me an email saying that he'd seen 2 White-collared Seedeaters along the river. How amazing is that?

Here's the Curve-billed Thrasher.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9042305

Elphaba, You have an impressive list. Nebraska's my home state. We didn't pay any attention to the birds then, so it took us moving to Iowa to see Nebraska's state bird. The Western Meadowlark. Was it a male Ring-necked you saw? That is an interesting Thrasher. We've only seen the Brown, which should be due to arrive in about a month here.

I hope the water heater situation gets resolved. That sounds like a trial in patience.

Today we saw our first of the year Harris's Sparrow. I like those guys.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9042741

200th bird. don't be greedy. hahaha.

:D

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9042976

148 [Atlantic] Puffin

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9043064

Awww, that would be such a good bird to see.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9043381

I have loved Puffins from since I was a kid in Canada although I've never seen one. I just remember reading about them in a book of Canadian birds when I was in grade school. That's really cool Resin.

Mrs. Ed, I have to be greedy! Winter is one of the best times to bird here. The only problem with winter birding is that you don't get to see the birds in their breeding plumage. Most birds head north before they get very pretty, but that's OK. It's great to have the opportunity to see so many birds.

Got 200 & 201. Number 200 is one of my favorite birds. Saw my first Scissor-tailed Flycatcher yesterday by the freeway. Then making a U-turn under the underpass, I got 201 -- Cliff Swallows!

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9043420

Ha. okay, you can be greedy. send me some though ;) Love that swallow colony.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9048936

Well, here comes spring! I have two more… Chipping Sparrow and Song Sparrow have arrived!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9049011

Mrs. Ed, Yay! for you. We got Song Sparrows last Friday, but are still waiting for the Chippings.

We learned something this spring. The Juncos' song is similar to the Chippings'. It is a smidge different. I think this is the first year, we've heard them sing.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9049584

I discovered that a few years ago too, when I was looking all over for the chipping sparrow making that trill! Lol! Funny you wrote that because someone was just asking me about that call today. I know they start calling about the same time that the cardinals do.

I saw some illinois reports that towhees and thrashers have already arrived too,

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9059047

Guess what came to our yard yesterday? Two Brown Creepers!!! I had given up for the year, because we went birding in habitat suitable for them and nothing. But they came here!! Migration is a wonderful thing.

We also gained an unusual yard bird Sunday. American White Pelicans. We count whatever we see from our yard and there was nearly a hundred flying overhead for a good ten minutes before they sighted water west of us.

The edited photo is still rather large, so here is a link.
[HYPERLINK@lh4.googleusercontent.com]

This was how I counted them for Ebird. I got a shot of the group (They stayed pretty close together) and as I counted I put a dot on it. When I was in the upper 80's, I thought, "That can't be right!" and started over with a new color. I am glad I did this because I would have really underestimated. I was thinking 40-50.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 27, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9059438

Wonderful view & pictures.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9060136

That is a huge number! Congrats.
Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 29, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9061415

Been working on a year list also...currently at 101 with the latest being a Field Sparrow.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9062353

Some new ones at last today . . .

149 Blackcap
150 Sandwich Tern
151 Barn Swallow
152 Marsh Harrier
153 Sand Martin

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9062389

Nice. I have heard that the Barn Swallows here have just showed up.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9063297

This time last year, mentioned getting my best ever pics of a Ring Ouzel . . . and now it's happened again this year! And much closer to home, too.

154 Ring Ouzel

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9063599

Oh nice. Looks like he's got a nice bib for dinner.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9064352

Two more today . . .

155 Black-necked Grebe
156 Common Crane

The crane was about 500 metres away, so even despite it being a big bird, the pics were awful . . .

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 31, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9064456

red-winged black birds have returned.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9064594

#41 - Hermit Thrush in the yard today having a snack on the Holly berries.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9065661

Nice Ouzel pic Resin. You're really workin' it! I had a Canada Goose that I added to my Texas list that was too far away to even try to photograph, so your crane pic is fine by me.

I've been birding too much lately. My state list is up to 215 and my year list is at 227. I'm still behind though for this area. One of my friends has 216 just in Harris County. I'm pretending not to be annoyed by that.

Most recent additions:
Golden-cheeked Warbler
Western Scrub Jay
Bewick's Wren
Northern Rough-winged Swallows
Eastern Kingbird
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Black-throated Green Warbler
Pectoral Sandpipers
Pacific Loon
Tropical Kingbird (recorded it b/c rare in Galveston and have to distinguish by call)
Eared Grebe
Marbled Godwit
American Golden Plover

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9066439

Nice Elphy! You know, I never really wanted to live in Texas (too hot), but with all the cool birds and butterflies down there, I might have to consider retirement ;-)

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9070208

#42 Purple Finch

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9070760

Nice!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9071003

Four more today:

157 Mandarin Duck (naturalised introduced species)
158 Raven
159 Osprey
160 Northern Wheatear

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9071364

I heard a house wren today but couldn't find it. Usually I don't see them until May 1.

April 6…
Okay, so saw the little squirt this morning, so that's #43

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 7:12 AM

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9071748

We're at #82, with Chipping Sparrow (YAY!), Eurasian Collared Dove (not so thrilled) and a Brown Thrasher (YAY!) being the latest in the yard. The EC dove was seen here a couple days, but thankfully has moved on. We like our Mourning Doves too much and they look to begin nesting soon.

Elphaba, my youngest (age 5) would be so jealous. Again today, he brought up wanting to see a Scrub Jay. I don't know how he even heard of one, but he talks about them all the time. I want to see the Bewick's Wren. We drove a few hours from here trying to locate one last year. Maybe some day...

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9072446

161 Willow Warbler

Resin
Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

April 7, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9073003

Ferruginous Hawk..112

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9073350

Oh you FOUND it Burd! That's awesome!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

April 7, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9073549

Nice shots, especially for those of us who have never seen one.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9076382

2 yesterday -- White-faced Ibis and Hooded Warbler
4 today -- Red-headed woodpecker, Blue-winged Warbler, Summer Tanager and Acadian Flycatcher

Only decent pic was of the tanager.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9076860

Beautiful bird, Elphaba!

84- with Barn Swallow and Swamp Sparrow. The Swamp Sparrow was the bird that started me on birding. I was always interested in what came to our feeders and would ID them, but it was when a Swamp Sparrow came by, I thought if this can come to our place, what else is out there beyond our mowed yard?

It might be a bit chilly for the Barn Swallows. It is going to get in the mid-20's again overnight.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012

Post #9080788

I love Swamp Sparrows. They're so pretty and yet I don't think I have a single good picture of one.

Added 14 birds.
Went to High Island and added 12 new year birds including 2 lifers -- a Worm-eating Warbler and a Cerulean Warbler.
Then I went to Liberty to look for Swallow-tailed Kites. Didn't see any but did get Mississippi Kites and a Broad-winged Hawk.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9081440

Three new today:

162 Little Ringed Plover
163 Little Gull
164 Common Tern

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2012

Post #9082628

Soo close to one hundred- we are at 98 now. Peregrine Falcon, Yellow-headed Blackbird, and Sandhill Crane being my favorites from today.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9083660

Number 99-Wood Duck

I am really curious what our 100th bird will be, but based on time of year, it will be a Butterbutt, or a Flycatcher, or something else all together. :)

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2012

Post #9083861

#44 White-throated Sparrow.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9084380

Creepin' up there Mrs. Ed!

Can't wait to hear what 100 will be Chily.

Nice additions Resin. A friend of mine spotted a Little Gull in breeding plumage here in Harris County -- very rare! He was able to get photographs. He called me and I ran right out there, but the tide was coming up fast and all the gulls had been forced off the beach area. We couldn't find it again.

I went on the Yellow Rail Walk at Anahuac yesterday. It was AWESOME! One flew up and hovered in the wind right in front of my face. The men on either side of me reached for it but I just stood dumbstruck staring.

Texas list is up to 245 with lots of great birds. Those I can remember off hand are:
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Least Bittern (saw 2)
Yellow Rail
Whimbrel
Gull-billed Tern (lifer)
Solitary Sandpiper
Seaside Sparrow
Swainson's Hawk
Fulvous Whistling Duck

I have a poor pic of one of 9 Whimbrels that I saw and a couple well-doctored pics of the 2 Least Bitterns.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9084974

you sure do get them down there, don't you Elphaba.

#45 Swamp Sparrow.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9085503

Nice pic Mrs. Ed.

Tomorrow is probably going to be the best day for migrating birds at High Island this whole spring, and I have jury duty! I went in the rain this afternoon hoping to get some. Mostly what I got was thoroughly wet and cold. I did get a pair of Baltimore Orioles but that was it.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9087750

Five more today, as spring arrivals get going:

165 Redstart
166 Tree Pipit
167 Tawny Owl
168 Avocet
169 House Martin

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9089489

Glad you got a Swamp Sparrow, Mrs. Ed. :) And how did jury duty go, Elphaba? I was able to get out of it last time.

We did it! Today we reached 100 and then some. Number 100 is the Myrtle Warbler AKA Butterbutt. We also got Cliff Swallow and Northern Rough-winged Swallow.

Edited to put in the correct Swallow name, the Northern Rough-winged Swallow is a lifer.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2012 7:34 AM

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9090099

#46 Eastern Towhee. A few weeks late!!!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9090116

Congrats Chily! It's always great to hit a "0" with a warbler!

As for jury duty, sat in the jury assembly room for 3 hours and then was dismissed. Total waste. I ran out to High Island that afternoon and did get some birds though.

Resin, nice group. Jealous of the Tawny Owl!

Mrs. Ed, congrats on the towhee. That's a cool bird.

I'm up to 253 in Texas. My friend that I'm having a "friendly" competition with is at 299. I was depressed until I realized that he's taken birding trips to south, west and northern Texas which I have not. I could still catch up!

253 was a Yellow-breasted Chat in the backyard! Pic 1

Other cool ones:

Wood Thrush -- lifer -- Pic 2
Scarlet Tanager -- Pic 3
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Ovenbird
Lousiana Waterthrush
Painted Bunting (only females so far though)

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9090245

170 Reed Warbler - only heard for the moment, hidden in the reeds, will see them easily later in the spring

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9090717

48 Killdeer, 49 Turkey Vulture, 50 Great Egret, The killdeer was actually #45, but I forgot to enter it.

Love that scarlet tanager, E. I had one once in the yard last year. I about had a heart attack! I hear the Rose-breasted grosbeaks are in the area, so I should see one of those in the next week or so.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9091304

Thanks to this thread, this will be my first year list. So far, I have 133.

Being in Texas, it should probably be higher, but if I don't get a photo good enough for ID, I usually don't count it since I don't trust my ID skills (or lack thereof :-)) yet.

I was fortunate to get in a trip to South Texas the last few days during spring migration, so added 43 birds in 4 days.

Patti

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9093957

Patti, I used to do that too. I only counted birds that I photographed. That's much, much harder, so 133 is great! There is a couple who are raising money by doing a photographic big year. They're only counting birds that they photograph and they take pledges per bird or something like that, and their target number is much lower than most people who would be doing a big year.

I have to get myself to south Texas!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9094017

51-Brown Thrasher

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9094085

I think I heard about that couple, Elphaba. There are so many big year blogs I cannot keep up with them, so I haven't looked at that one in awhile.

YAY!, Mrs. Ed. We had one here for a few days waking me up with his song, but must not have found a mate or suitable nesting spot. I let our front shrubs grow out a bit to be better protection for the birds, but no takers yet.

I've discovered one thing about doing a year list. I am afraid I will double count something, like when we see something early in the year and don't see one again until later, we forget about it. I know I will have real troubles in the fall when spring migrants come back south.

Patti, I am sort of like that, but when we are with the birding club, we can trust getting a good ID. I am sure without their help, we would have totally discounted the Peregrine Falcon for a Red-tail.

No new year birds since my last post, but we gained a Wilson's Snipe as a yard bird. We count flyovers as long as we are absolutely sure of the ID.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9094471

171 Common Whitethroat

Chillybean wrote:I've discovered one thing about doing a year list. I am afraid I will double count something, like when we see something early in the year and don't see one again until later, we forget about it. I know I will have real troubles in the fall when spring migrants come back south.

Easy done! One tip: have a printed checklist of all the birds in your area, and put a tick next to each species you get. Keep it together with your yearlist, and before adding a bird to the yearlist, see in case you've already ticked it off or not on the checklist.

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9095107

Another tip Chilly, is that I use Google Docs to track my list. Could do the same thing in Excel or Word I suppose. It's nice to have everything in cells so I can sort. This way, at the end of the year, I can make yard and county totals. Also serves to tell me first date seen and compare with next year.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9095808

Thank you for the suggestions. :) Right now, I just have the list in a "text doc". I use our email program and just type in any new birds with the date and it's saved as a draft. It's easy for me to get to. I should get it into something better. We use Linux for our operating system, so our writing program is Open Office and I think we can do what you have Mrs. Ed. I just need my in-home computer guy help me on that. And I can get the checklist to take with us. I've seen other birders with the Iowa checklist and they mark what they see.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9095843

ah. well if you use open office with the word processing, you can virtually do the same thing, you just have to make a table. I know, I make it sound so simple, right. hahaha.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9096942

Ah, the lists... Pelle got me started with yardbirder.net b/c it was so easy, but now I'm doing ebird which is a pain, but does make it easy to keep track and create reports, and you get those handy "needs" lists from ebird when someone sees a bird that you don't have yet.

Added 11 birds! Let's see if I can remember what they were:

Tropical Mockingbird (lifer and 1st record in US!)
Black-whiskered Vireo (lifer)
Blackpoll Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Veery (lifer)
Clapper Rail (walked out on the street in front of my car!)
Least Tern
Dunlin
Upland Sandpiper
Eastern Wood PeeWee
Buff-breasted Sandpiper

Most of the pics are pretty awful. Here are a couple though -- the Tropical Mocker and the Veery.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9096959

Elphaba,

Wow. You got the Tropical Mocker! Wonder how long it will stay around. I can't get out there until next week. Was it hard to find? And, do get out to South Texas if you can. It is awesome.

Patti

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9097019

Easy, easy to find. It hangs out near the pavilion. All you have to do is wait and it eventually shows up. It's hanging out with a Northern Mockingbird, but you can tell when you see the Tropical b/c its wings are very dark with no wingbars and its tail has a scalloped shape and the white markings are different.

Decided not to count Black-whiskered Vireo. I heard it but only got glimpses of it and decided that was not enough. However, I realized that I forgot Dickcissel and Horned Lark, so I'm one up!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9097166

I submit to Ebird, but not every bird, so even though my life list is at 141, ebird shows 117. Like that Northern Rough-winged Swallow. We only knew were were in the Des Moines area. I had no idea of the specific location, so I didn't enter it.

Yardbirder sounded interesting, but I cannot sign up. I am having a hard time with their captcha. One word is so clear and easy to read and the other is a mess. I cannot fill in the feedback form because it uses that same word verification.

We gained another cool yard bird today. Double-crested Cormorants flying over. It am amazed at what we can recognize now from a year ago.

Hopefully soon we'll see the Dickcissels. We really like those birds. :)

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9098622

52 White-crowned sparrow.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9100030

I am a little jealous, Mrs_Ed. I have yet to see a White-crowned this year, but one of the children has.

We are up to 105. We had hoped to see a Long-billed Dowitcher that was reported near here, but nope. We did see Spotted Sandpipers and as life birds some Semipalmated Plovers. First time seeing any Plovers that were not Killdeer. But I enjoy those Killdeer, such cute little things and we see and hear them when we go outside.

I am glad we went yesterday evening. The winds are blowing something fierce today.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9100644

don't be jealous Chilly, it's only one and it just got here. They are always later than the white-throated. I should take a pool, next arrivals should be:
Swainson's thrush, ruby throated hummingbird, Rose-breasted grosbeak or Ovenbird. Sometimes a warbler will sneak in there.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9101139

Yesterday's additions:

172 Common Swift
173 Lesser Whitethroat
174 Whimbrel

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9101218

I went birding yesterday too and had a surprisingly good day. The Texas coast in the spring time makes for some pretty great birding.

At Sabine Woods:
Northern Waterthrush
Bank Swallow
Yellow Warbler

At Sea Rim State Park in Sabine Pass:
Piping Plover
Snowy Plover
Wilson's Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Reddish Egret
American Avocet

At Smith Oaks on High Island:
Magnolia Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
American Redstart
Philadelphia Vireo
Warbling Vireo

Patti, the Tropical Mockingbird is still at Sabine Woods although I saw him in the road at one point and he almost got hit by a truck. Also may or may not have seen the Yellow-green Vireo at Smith Oaks. There were 4 different vireos in the same 2 trees and differing opinions among the zillion people looking at them as to which was which. I haven't counted it yet. I saw all 4. One of the four was probably the Yellow-green, but I don't have that woohoo feeling.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9101385

Elphaba wrote: Also may or may not have seen the Yellow-green Vireo at Smith Oaks. There were 4 different vireos in the same 2 trees and differing opinions among the zillion people looking at them as to which was which. I haven't counted it yet. I saw all 4. One of the four was probably the Yellow-green, but I don't have that woohoo feeling.

Looked that one up, I can see the dilemma, it looks like a rather dowdy Red-eyed Vireo.

So how many does that little lot leave you on now?

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9102548

I'm at 278 in Texas and 290 overall. Decided not to count the Yellow-green. I didn't feel good about it, and I want my list to be solid. My friend is still way ahead of me, but I'm goint to south Texas later this week and hopefully I can even the score!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9102870

I just added a few birds in the Hill Country. Was hoping for an Ash-throated Flycatcher, but it wasn't definitive. I really need to learn to either record sounds or pay attention to them. The bird was singing its heart out, but I didn't remember the song. That might have been the info that would have clinched it.

134 = Dickcissel
135 = Cliff Swallow
136 = Barn Swallow

Elphaba, I'm sure you will find a lot of birds down south. I don't know what the wind is doing down there, but we had gale force winds in Hill Country last night, so maybe if same on coast and it's in the right direction, some birds will be stopping a while.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9102965

P_Edens, Beautiful Dickcissel! We're looking forward to ours returning. I remember my first one, "That's an odd looking Meadowlark." :)

No new year birds here, but now I understand why people do county lists. We were pretty excited when we saw a couple birds at the creek close to home, but they already are year birds seen in other counties.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9103095

That's funny Chilly, in the winter of 10/11, there was a snowy owl here. It was sighted on the boundaries of two counties. Some birders were so excited that it "flew across the road" and then they could tick it off it in two counties. I thought that was so funny.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9103729

LOL, one of my friends is like that too and not just with counties. He gets excited when it flies across the river into Mexico and he can count it in two countries!

Gorgeous pic Patti!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9104480

oh man. that would be awesome. Two countries. Of course those of you in Europe are so used to everything being so close, you can do that.

So the two birds I saw today were not even on the list of those I thought I'd see next in the yard. Myrtle Warbler and Common Yellowthroat. A friend in town had Rose-breasted grosbeaks today, so I guess those might be next.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012

Post #9104513

Elphaba wrote:LOL, one of my friends is like that too and not just with counties. He gets excited when it flies across the river into Mexico and he can count it in two countries!

A few years ago a Laughing Gull turned up on Bodensee in central Europe - in the space of a few days it flew round the lake and got itself on the national lists for Germany, Austria and Switzerland, the first Laughing Gull recorded for each country ;-)

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9104577

Mrs_Ed wrote:That's funny Chilly, in the winter of 10/11, there was a snowy owl here. It was sighted on the boundaries of two counties. Some birders were so excited that it "flew across the road" and then they could tick it off it in two counties. I thought that was so funny.

That is nuts. We submit to ebird now and then, but if we are ever on the county line, I don't even think about counting, which county would I put? We live a mile from the county line, so are often on it when we need to go west. In another part of the state, I have a friend who lives on the county line there. We've seen Bald Eagles from her front window, but again, we are in one county, but the Eagles in another...

I'm hoping for the Yellowthroats soon. I wondered if I heard one earlier, but with all the different bird songs at that time, I could hardly tell one from another. :)

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9107061

106- Clay-colored Sparrow, which is also a life bird.

We had storms last night that kept us up, but it brought in this bird, so will try not too complain of tiredness too much.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9107382

Added Indigo Bunting today, in the yard. He was here and gone quickly though. just one out of focus picture.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9108197

Added Ruby-throat hummingbird to the list this morning.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9111649

Today, our year list surpassed where our life list ended 31 December 2011.

107 Bobolink
108 Dickcissel
109 Eastern Kingbird

One child thought he saw a Common Yellowthroat, but couldn't be absolutely certain, so we're still waiting. He saw a flash of yellow and black coming from the lilac bush, but that could have been a Goldfinch.

We're still waiting for the hummingbird and Indigo Bunting. We saw them last year and the year before, only in June. Brief stops but then they moved on.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9111844

Chillybean wrote:Today, our year list surpassed where our life list ended 31 December 2011.

Congrats!

Spring here has ground to a complete halt, with cold N winds and often very wet weather discouraging migration - just one new for the year today, and it's a resident species:

175 Long-eared Owl

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9113010

Go Chilly.

I have a few to add. Putting me at 56. Some of my math was bad before.
Eastern Bluebird
Barn Swallow
Tree Swallow

Oh, I forgot. 57 Baltimore Oriole

This message was edited May 7, 2012 8:14 AM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9113167

Three new today, spring looks to be re-starting at last

176 Garganey
177 Sedge Warbler
178 Grasshopper Warbler

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9113208

Good for you Resin!

58 Gray Catbird (yard)

This message was edited May 7, 2012 8:17 AM

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 6, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9113288

I was watching a very busy white breasted nuthatch in a friends garden today.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9113728

Wow, y'all are really gettin' goin' now! Spring is ending here and I'm missing some key birds that I just won't get if I don't see them in the next few days and I really can't go birding. That's OK, can't get them all.

I'm pretty happy to have a TX total of 310 after a trip to southwest Texas.

New birds included these pictured: Scaled Quail (lifer), Hooded Oriole, Bullock's Oriole, Harris' Hawk, Black-chinned Hummingbird (lifer).

Others that I can think of off-hand: Rufous-crowned sparrow (lifer), Black-throated Sparrow, Ash-throated Flycatcher (lifer), Western Kingbird, Canyon Towhee (lifer), Canyon Wren (lifer), Cactus Wren (lifer), Black-tailed Gnatcatcher (lifer), Blue Grosbeak, White-throated Swift (lifer), Common Poorwill (lifer), Cassin's Sparrow (lifer), Bell's Vireo, Long-billed Thrasher, and White-tipped Dove.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9113980

Chily, that happened to me last year. Kind of shocks the heck out of you huh? Last October I got my 300th lifer which was a Vermillion Flycatcher. Right now, I'm 10 birds away from 400 lifers. I can't believe that I've gotten 90 lifers in 7 months! Pelle suggested that I connect with the local birding community. What a difference that made. I've learned a ton in the last year and half!

Congrats Chily and enjoy spring everyone.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9115825

Thank you for the congratulations. It was pretty exciting. We started going out with the local Audubon group last summer and yes, we've learned so much from them. What I find really neat is we see the initial birds with the group, but then it is such a thrill when we can ID those same birds on our own.

We're up to 114 now. Palm Warbler (lifer), Great Egret (lifer), Bank Swallow (lifer) and Rose-breasted Grosbeak being the latest. Oh and finally confirmed the Common Yellowthroat. One child got a picture and I have been hearing the male.

Oh, now this was a sight. Sunday around lunchtime, we saw a Dickcissel in the platform feeder. What in the world?! Never had that happen before. In previous years, they've avoiding the feeding area. While we were in shock of that, the female Rose-breasted Grosbeak flew in. First of the year. Scared the Dickcissel off, but he came back and then the feeder looked like it was winter, or something. House Finches, Chipping Sparrows, House Sparrows, the male Grosbeak came for awhile. Just crazy!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9116030

This weekend was the Illinois bird count. I was supposed to do it, but forgot that I had something out of state planned already. So the woman I was going to go with got 94 species. LOL. That's more than I have right now for all year. Though I have not been out and about.

Anyway. #59 is a Northern Waterthrush. I thought it might have been a louisiana waterthrush, but a couple local birders here said it was Northern. Either way. Lifer for me.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9116199

Congratulations on the new life bird. :)
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 8, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9116221

Joined at the hip, Mrs Ed. I'm also on 59.

Everyone else, congratulations on your amazing sightings.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9116282

Congrats Mrs. Ed!

Got 3 more today:
Golden-winged Warber (lifer)
Canada Warbler
Olive-sided Flycatcher

Very colorful bird day in the woods today with the unstable air and cold front coming through: Blackburnian Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warblers, Bay-breasted, Black and Whites, Black-throated Green, and lots of Magnolia Warblers and tons of Redstarts. Oh and people birding all over the county said that they had never seen so many Swainson's Thrushes at one time. They were everywhere.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9116975

Oh funny Margaret! Hey, if I could ever see and identify all the warblers that I"m hearing, I'd have a bunch more. I'm going to work on the patio today in hopes of getting more. In fact, I'm stalking a warbler now.

***Edited***
Success! #60 Tennessee Warbler. Darn chatty things have eluded me for days .

This message was edited May 9, 2012 8:24 AM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9117471

A definite improvement for the summer!

179 Wood Warbler
180 Pied Flycatcher
181 Spotted Flycatcher
182 Common Sandpiper
183 Cuckoo
- - - Red Kite
184 Yellow Wagtail

The Red Kite was my first bird for the yearlist which wasn't in my home county of Northumberland, it was just a short distance over the border into Durham (which is why it doesn't get a number!).

Resin

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 9, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9117519

Saw a red kite perched on a dead tree in Wales about 10 yrs ago. What a thrill!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9117688

61 - Nashville Warbler
62 - Palm Warbler
63 - Black-throated Green Warbler (Lifer)

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9118303

Congrats on the lifer Mrs. Ed. That's a nice group. I still don't have Nashville for the year.

Resin, nice!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9118493

Another lifer this morning. #64 - Cape May Warbler.

The warblers love this locust tree my neighbor has and it is right above the pond, so I get some good viewing. However, I really under exposed these pics today so had to lighten.

Also got #65 Swainson's Thrush

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9118510

Mrs. Ed, you are really getting some warblers. :)

We're now at 116. Yellow Warbler and Upland Sandpiper being the latest. That Sandpiper threw us off. There can't be a Sandpiper on a fence post! But yep, this is exactly where the Uplands can be found.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9118527

ahha. nice. Crazy Sandpiper.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9121100

Congrats on the Cape May!

I went looking for a Cape May yesterday and did not get it or the other 4 warblers that I wanted. The trees were hopping with warblers though. Major fall out from that storm front. I think I had 14 warbler species which is surprising for so late in the season. One small tree had 5 Blackburnian Warblers, 2 Black-throated Greens, 1 Bay-Breasted and a Red-eyed Vireo. I kept staring at this tree in disbelief and then when I turned around, a Peregrine Falcon flew by! Pretty awesome day.

Two year birds yesterday:
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Willow Flycatcher

Here's a pic of the Yellow-bellied.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 12, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9121182

wow! really warbler time.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9121220

Nice birds, Elphaba!

We're at 121. We gained a Sora today, no picture, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds yesterday, bad pictures, but we were jumping up and down happy to finally have hummingbirds come to our feeder. There were two males today who did not seem happy with one another. Oh and we saw our first of the year Baltimore Orioles, but not yet in our yard. The oranges are waiting...

And here is a bird with a picture, a Tennessee Warbler. He came by yesterday.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2012
2:49 AM

Post #9121728

Long day out yesterday, with some good birds:

185 Whinchat
186 Red-rumped Swallow (rarity from southern Europe)
187 Red-backed Shrike (rarity from eastern Europe)
188 Arctic Tern
189 Little Tern
190 Garden Warbler

Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2012

Post #9122270

Wow, Resin, two rare birds! Must have been exciting to get!

I went out to High Island this morning and got 4 new ones with a possible 5th.

137 - American Redstart
138 - Chestnut-sided Warbler - Edit: Not counting this one. Probably the female Bay-breasted as per Resin.
139 - Bay-breasted Warbler - Edit: This one is now 138
140 - Roseate Spoonbill - Edit: This one is now 139
Edit: New 140 is a Great-crested Flycatcher. Couldn't be ID'd on basis of photos, but the sound that I recorded sounds just like the GCFC.

The warblers are pending confirmation of ID on the bird ID page. There were some experienced birders out there calling out birds, but I was never sure if I was pointing my camera where they were pointing. I think the IDs are correct though. I did see a flycatcher up high in a tree that the birders didn't see, so I'm not sure what it was. It is also pending confirmation on Bird ID page.

Patti

This message was edited May 13, 2012 5:52 PM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9123045

66. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
67. Magnolia Warbler
68. Red-headed Woodpecker

I'm catching up with y'all. ha. not really.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9123870

You go girl!

Nice ones Patti. Flycatchers are the worst to ID. I saw one and thought it was a Great Crested. I was taking pics of it when my friend who is a really good birder finally took a look and he thought Ash-throated which would be rare for here. He sent the pics to another expert birder who said Brown-crested which is really unusual for here. I'm afraid to list it at all!

Resin, congrats. Two rarities at once -- amazing!

Got three more yesterday for my Texas list:
316 -- Oyster Catcher
317 -- Least Tern
318 -- Least Sandpiper

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9124511

Oops, last pic is not the Least Sandpiper but Semipalmated. Have to go through my pics again and see if I got a good shot of the Least. Kind of hate shorebirds b/c they all look alike!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9125128

[quote="Elphaba"]Resin, congrats. Two rarities at once -- amazing!/quote]

Thanks! Bit annoying though that I missed seeing a third (a Bluethroat) that had been present earlier in the day and I'd also looked for. It was a good 'fall' though, after east winds and rain the previous day, lots of Scandinavian passage migrants.

Two more today, on an evening's seawatch:
191 Manx Shearwater
192 Arctic Skua

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9126939

Great birds, ya'll. :)

122 Solitary Sandpiper
123 Indigo Bunting -female. Oh, I wish that could be a life bird. We had never seen a female before and she's been at the feeder three days now.
124 House Wren

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9127279

Elphaba wrote:
Nice ones Patti. Flycatchers are the worst to ID. I saw one and thought it was a Great Crested. I was taking pics of it when my friend who is a really good birder finally took a look and he thought Ash-throated which would be rare for here. He sent the pics to another expert birder who said Brown-crested which is really unusual for here. I'm afraid to list it at all!

Eeeek. Maybe I shouldn't count that GC Flycatcher. I think I'll take it off the list unless I can get the sound file to someone that can tell me if it makes the ID definitive.

Back to 139 for me.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9127540

P_Edens wrote:Eeeek. Maybe I shouldn't count that GC Flycatcher. I think I'll take it off the list unless I can get the sound file to someone that can tell me if it makes the ID definitive.

Back to 139 for me.

Try listening to online recordings, and see which compares best:
Great Crested: http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus) 43&species_nr=bvarvh
Ash-throated: http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens) 21&species_nr=vogllc
Brown-crested: http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Brown-crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus tyrannulus) 77&species_nr=ltjfqv

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9127589

Another good day yesterday, this time waders . . . went with several other birders to look for a reported Kentish Plover (the Old World relative of Snowy Plover, from southern Europe), another very rare bird here. A real 'needle-in-a-haystack' job, it took ages searching through over 2000 Ringed Plovers and 1000 Dunlin, but eventually saw it (193).

Then while watching it, an odd small wader appeared next to it, which turned out to be a summer plumage White-rumped Sandpiper (194). Equally rare! And probably a world first of Kentish Plover + White-rumped Sandpiper next to each other.

Also a Curlew Sandpiper in the wader flock, too (195). While not yearticks, 25 Grey Plover in spectacular full summer plumage, and the sheer number of Ringed Plovers and Dunlin, were also good to see.

Pics (not very good!), left to right:
Kentish Plover, White-rumped Sandpiper, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, and a general view of a small part of the flock (Kentish Plover arrowed)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9127596

Thanks Resin. I'll have to bookmark that site. It is fantastic!

If that's the only three possibles, then it is the Great Crested. Back on the list. :-)

Patti

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9127605

Wow! Big congratulations! Not only on seeing more rarities, but on being able to pick them out of a crowd. Amazing.

Patti

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9127612

P_Edens wrote:Wow! Big congratulations! Not only on seeing more rarities, but on being able to pick them out of a crowd. Amazing.

Patti

Thanks! It's not too difficult when there's 16 pairs of eyes looking ;-)

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9128220

Well, wasn't that nice of those two rare birds to sit together for you all! Congrats.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9128448

Resin, LOVED reading your account of your rarity quest. Made my eyes tired just thinking of looking through 2000 Ringed Plovers and a 1000 Dunlin. Congrats. Sounded like a totally awesome day.

Patti, definitely count it!

Chily, nice ones to get!

Good birding everyone.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9129825

Birding with others always helps us Resin. Congratulations on the rare finds.

125 Black-bellied Plover-lifer
126 Northern Mockingbird- lifer
127 Osprey -parent on a nest. We learned from one of the county guys the eggs have hatched.
128 Purple Martins

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 19, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9129924

While we were driving to Maine yesterday we saw a red tailed hawk landing. I wonder what dinner was.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9130934

I guess I need a little humble pie now and again. I have to knock one off my year and life list. I tried editing an above post to cross out the wrong ID, but couldn't figure out how to do that.

I am back to 127. The Bank Swallow was really Cliff Swallow.

I went for a walk today and ended up at the same area that had all the swallows. I took several pictures and noticed the markings of Cliff swallows. That's odd. So I went back to the few pics from two weeks ago when I thought they were Bank. (I knew I should have sought confirmation) It was a cloudy day, but looking closer at the pictures, I did see the while mark on the forehead, even if nothing else.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9143419

69-Eastern Wood Pewee
70- Eurasian Collared Dove

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9143489

Good finds, Mrs. Ed. I haven't seen a Pewee yet this year.

128-Dunlin
129-Orchard Oriole - He seemed interested in our oranges, but wasn't sure if he wanted to land. He did take a drink at our bath.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9143676

Four more for me in the last few days:
196 Spoonbill 26 May
197 Ruff 28 May
198 Temminck's Stint 28 May
199 Wood Sandpiper 28 May

Today, one more new 'foreign' bird, went to see a Western Orphean Warbler in County Durham (next county to the south of me), it was found at a ringing [banding] station, only the third record ever in Britain. Brings my all-UK yearlist to 201.

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9143900

Congrats Resin. Where is the Warbler from?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2012

Post #9144645

Mrs_Ed wrote:Congrats Resin. Where is the Warbler from?

The western Mediterranean (Italy, southern France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, northern Algeria, Tunisia); winters tropical west Africa.

Resin

EDIT: With 200 posts reached, this page is getting a mite long. I've started page 2, please head here to continue: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262217/

This message was edited May 30, 2012 11:19 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America