Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Palms and Cycads: I D Palm Seedlings

Communities > Forums > Palms and Cycads
bookmark
Forum: Palms and CycadsReplies: 4, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #8953219

Couple years ago I put up some seeds for germinating,after a year nothing happened on a few different seed varieties,so I thru my soil back in with the rest of the compost pile,then 2 years during the summer I had these 2 come up,only palms that I can remember off hand were either Rhopalostylis sapida,Satakentia liukiensis or Kentiopsis oliviformis ,these are a couple year old seedlings now,anyone have a clue to the Id?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 7, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #8958452

Lots of palms at that size are very difficult to identify. Those in fact look very similar to my Calyptrocalyx elegens at that size. But they probably look similar to a lot of other species as well. You might have to wait a few more years for a definite answer.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #8959244

Yep,I was afraid that might be the answer,I have raised a lot of different seedlings,but none like these before,these have to be the slowest I ever have ever dealt with,so I hope they take off soon!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 9, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #8961093

Always difficult when you don't know what a plant is. You might be doing things to slow it down, or maybe things that are speeding it up. You never know. I collected a lot of Adonidia merrillii (Christmas Palm) seeds from under the tree. Only 3 came up, really fast. Now I think the others may have been cooked by the sun, they should have been up by now. But the seedlings seem to have stopped growing, despite being the middle of our summer. Often a palm will break the surface to start photosynthesising and then devote all its energy to developing a deep root system. They can sit there for years apparently doing nothing. Then suddenly they put on a burst of growth. I think palms are more prone to that than other types of plants. Good luck with them.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
3:13 AM

Post #8961540

Yep I think your right,Lets hope that burst of growth is sooner than later!
Thanks

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
help repot ponytail palm abigailfaith 15 Mar 18, 2008 12:40 AM
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
How to propagate a pony tail palm dogmansis 9 May 24, 2008 12:29 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America