Photo by Melody

Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale: Kale - a fairly "recent" discovery

Communities > Forums > Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale
bookmark
Forum: Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible KaleReplies: 10, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

January 3, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #8953337

I really enjoyed your article. I lived on orange groves throughout my childhood (until I was 17) and we always had a garden which included collard greens and mustard greens. The mustard grew abundantly around the orange trees (guess they loved all the water and fertilizer!) and we always had mustard greens without having to plant them. The collards were so good after a cold snap because then they were not so bitter. But kale... well, I don't remember ever seeing kale until 10 or 15 years ago and then I thought it was a new kind of curly collards - until I cooked and ate it. Fantastic! It's my favorite deep green veggie. Not only does it cook faster than collards (please don't misunderstand... I still love collards!) but I discovered a great recipe for Italian Breaded Kale that has become my family's favorite. And, by the time you wash it a few times, there's enough water left in those curly varieties to cook it in without adding more (yay, even more vitamins!). I've never tried growing it but I've certainly admired pictures of the ornamental variety and just may try growing some of them in pots.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 3, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #8953585

I just discovered it this fall.
I have had kale in cans before - never thought too much about it - sort of like collards greens to me. But fresh kale, steamed kale - WoW! Who knew what I had been missing.
I tried some bean soup recipes with it - -- my husband is ill and has trouble getting his appetite up excepf for what he wants - - but the kale and bean soup really struck his fancy. Try some of those recipes and I will looking here on the web for your Italian Breaded Kale.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #8955139

I'm so glad that I've brought some much-needed publicity to this great green! It is indeed wonderful in soups, although I'm partial to mustard greens for that purpose. I'm not sure that mustard greens pack the vitamin punch that kale does, however. Thanks for your feedback!
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

January 5, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #8955267

Hi Liquidambar2, I found the Italian Breaded Kale recipe in a newspaper article several years ago but it's really simple. First, I buy 1-lb. bags of Glory (brand) Kale from our local Publix supermarket (1 lb. cooks down to practically nothing so if you want a good batch, buy 2 bags), and I rinse it a couple of times (even though it's pre-rinsed). I don't like the stems of any greens so I pick them off (some people like stems and Kale stems aren't really tough). The kale retains a good amount of water because they are so curly but depending on how much water is in the bottom of the pot, I may add 1/4 cup. Cook it for about 20 minutes (taste to see if you like the doneness); usually by that time the water is cooked out. Push the kale to the sides of the pot, making a well in the center. Pour a little olive oil 1-2 tablespoons in the well, saute 2-3 garlic cloves... don't let the garlic burn because that imparts a bitter taste. In the remaining oil, shake about half a cup of seasoned bread crumbs, then stir to mix. Generously sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and serve while hot. I don't cook with salt so you may want to salt to taste. A really good side dish with baked Ziti or Lasagna. I'm a southern girl (Florida) who married a sweet Italian boy from the Bronx but I don't speak the language, so I'll just say...enjoy!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 5, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #8955303

I have some kale cooked already.
I was thinking about puting it in some soup beans.
BUT I think I will do your recipe though, and make it a side dish for the beans..
I have some left over whole wheat rolls I made from Christmas - and a half of bag of left over stuffing? Do you think that would work (Southern girl married to a Italian Bronx) romantic combination!
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

January 5, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #8956173

Kale prepared as a snack chip is new to me...
But "kale" is not new. As a child I used to really enjoy it...and I'm 73 years old now. I've never been able to replicate the taste though of my mother's cooked kale. Sounds like it's time to try it once again.
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

January 6, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #8957690

Well now, LiquidAmbar2, that half bag of stuffing thrown in the blender to make crumbs just might make it, but about those wheat rolls... Christmas was 11 days ago! However, if they're not rocks or science projects by now, I say go for it! My mother-in-law (now deceased) used to season her own bread crumbs: she would buy crumbs from the Italian bakery, then chop parsley, mince garlic, add grated cheese and salt and pepper. She took no short cuts in preparing her meals. I cheat and buy Vigo or Progresso Italian Seasoned bread crumbs. She's probably rolling over as we speak. I've had to greatly modify my Southern cooking because my husband won't eat pork (no more ham hocks or fatback in greens!) but he likes Southern meals. The door was opened to a brand-new culinary experience when we married. I learned a whole new way of cooking, and that pasta was not just spaghetti. Miz EleanorZRuch, what did your mom use in her kale for seasoning? I recently made mixed greens - kale, collards, mustard - and used diced pieces of turkey ham, about 1 cup of chicken broth, along with a thinly sliced green bell pepper and a couple of stalks of celery, and a small diced onion (along with the requisite salt and pepper for those who use salt). I admittedly was experimenting, but the greens turned out rather tasty.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 7, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #8957964

I froze my rolls Orangegrovegirl; I cannot afford to make these "low glycemic" that is with whole wheat flour which is more expensive????? Why is that; I would like to know- seems to me if they do not have to process the flour untill it is all white, fluffly and pretty it should be cheapter???? I also used Soy protein mixed with some soy flour - 8 dollars for a can, and since it was Christmas I forget if I put whey protein in them too and that is 15 dollars for a large can--- , I can't remember what else I put into them, but I darn well did not waste them.
I seasoned them, since we cannot eat and I mean it; it is not we think we can't - I mean we cannot eat MSG or (proionic acid) spelling???-- I think it is called ES 180 or something like that in bread. It is a headache and much worse to be sure.

But I broke the rolls up, seasoned, toasted them and then followed your recipe.
VERY GOOD and Thankyou.

I would like to know how my very gardening grandmother, and parents who always kept a garden missed out on raising Kale???? Just cababages???

And does Italinas not eat pork, or this is just something your husband don't like?
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

January 12, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #8965607

@OrangeGroveGirl - "Miz EleanorZRuch, what did your mom use in her kale for seasoning?" You know, I wish I knew! It was probably quite simple seasoning...maybe my older sister would know. I can just recall enjoying the taste and that it was different from the other vegetables. I'm wondering if it had bacon chopped up in it...hmmm.
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

January 24, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #8981390

Hi Ladies - Liquidambar2, I'm glad you liked the kale recipe. I have a friend who cannot eat anything with MSG as she gets headaches and swells up like a balloon! That's really tough to have food allergies, but it certainly can make one creative in how they cook. I heartily agree with you on foods that have ingredients omitted, altered, not altered, etc., being more expensive. Ever compared the price of anything that is salt-free with the more commonly (over) salted product? Amazing! As to Italians eating pork... My mother-in-law made many a fantastic meal involving pork but my husband went on a real health kick a couple of years after we were married (observed #41 in Nov.) and stopped eating pork, salt and anything else that could contribute to heart disease and high blood pressure. Seems all that runs in his family. Well, after the initial shock of no longer cooking or seasoning with salt, our tastebuds caught up 2 or 3 weeks later and the true flavor of food emerged. Also, I enjoyed a health benefit years later. Southern cooking is delicious but not particularly healthy (esp. when seasoning with fatback, and I shudder to think of how many meals I ate as a child that had lard in them). Most of my cousins have some form of heart trouble, stomach trouble, diabetes, etc. Other than being overweight, my health is amazingly good, even the ole ticker is in good shape for my age (68). That, I believe, is a direct benefit of my husband's decision to eat healthy in our youthful years. Now to EleanorZRuch - bacon chopped into anything makes it delicious! (Well, maybe not ice cream!) We use a lot of turkey products including turkey bacon. Not bad. It doesn't cook up quite like the real thing but it's not an awful substitute. And some of it has a higher fat content than others; those would probably add more flavor to veggies.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 25, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #8982263

Oh, I see; ya gave up pork. Well, it is the other white meat, you know?
All kidding aside though, I am glad your Hubby and you are healthy and made good diet choices.
I don't put fat back in anything either - it is either olive oil, sure enough butter, and coconut oil -- the sure enough not processed stuff, are the fats I use.
I use to cook lots of meals with no fat, no meat, threw lots of oat bran in everything I made, and still the cholesterol would be sky high ! Frustration to the sky --- and they cannot take cholesterol medicine -- you know those people they say that have on the advertisements that some people may get muscle weakness and is a rare but dangerous complication? Well that is us.
Our cholesterol only went down when we started counting carbs.
It wasn't the bacon and eggs killing us, it was the white flour and sugar.
But we have an
"Acquired Mitrochondrial Myopathy"
The means our metabolism is messed up when it tries to process carbs into glucose.
It does cause inflammation of everything in the body.

Are you going to raise Kale this fall?
I am, and I am still excited about it. Mean While; I also found I can buy great big bags of it at Wal Mart and so we have been eating it all winter. I still have more of those rolls I worked so hard at Christmas to make and still make your recipe from time to time. They get really excited when I tell them I am making orangegrove kale! They like it -- anything that might be bready - you know.

I also thought I would raise that brocolli/kale plant -- but the seeds are 4.00 dollars plus shipping so I will just wait till Lowes, and Wal Mart puts their seeds out and get them then.
Again, thanks for the recipe -

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If one ate ornamental kale... vossner 3 Jan 3, 2012 6:54 PM
Kale is edible! ggardens 4 Jan 5, 2012 8:06 PM
Kale: Yes, it's all edible TexasTam 2 Jan 5, 2012 6:04 AM
Kale; making a new market. CountryGardens 2 Jan 3, 2012 2:07 PM
Good info! Sundownr 4 Jan 10, 2012 3:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America