Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Harvesting and Storing Root Vegetables: stored away for the winter

Communities > Forums > Article: Harvesting and Storing Root Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Article: Harvesting and Storing Root VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
3pmp
Slocan, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 3, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #8953363

Hi Toni, Happy New Year to you and good gardening for 2012. I always plant root vegetables in my garden that I can use for the upcoming season in some of my cooking and baking. I do not have an underground storage area to put my vegetables in so I am freezing most of them to use at a later date. I would like to grow more beets in the coming gardening season that I do not know if I could have a suitable storage space for them to keep over the winter months. My beets that I planted last year showed some good improvements over the previous year when some went to the deer and others just did not develop properly underground with the roots being very small even over a long period of time. I always put my grass clippings over the garden in the fall to see if that will help the soil any to produce better crops without paying a lot for other fertilizer that I cannot always afford with my limited income. The one thing that I do right now is look after my lemon plant that is continuing to sprout new leaves every few days that keep making this plant taller with all of the renewed growth. I was not informed of what type of lemon plant it is but I hope it wil produce lemons for me without soaring to a height of 20 feet or more in my kitchen.

Alan (3pmp)
AmyInNH
Brookline, NH

January 4, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #8954691

Have you tried Golden beets? Fantastic! A tad sweet too.
3pmp
Slocan, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 4, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #8954779

Hi, Thank you for the information on golden beets. I have always ordered my seeds from a seed catalogue that has various varieties but I am not sure if they carry this particular variety. Here is a photo of the best beets that I picked from my garden this past growing season.

Alan (3pmp)

Thumbnail by 3pmp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Harvesting and Storing Root Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
cut vines gives more time to harvest Liquidambar2 0 Dec 28, 2011 3:55 PM
confused on turnips Liquidambar2 2 Dec 28, 2011 9:22 PM
sunchokes blukila 0 Jan 2, 2012 12:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America