Photo by Melody

Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective: My cat is definitely not finicky

Communities > Forums > Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary PerspectiveReplies: 0, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

January 3, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #8953406

I had to laugh out loud when I read, "No cat in its right mind would even nibble on one [poinsettia] (cats are finicky like that)... well, I have a large (16 lb.), young (2-1/2 yrs.) black & white boy cat from Tennessee (named Parker 'cause he was found in a park) and I have always thought his mama had an unholy dalliance with a dog. He chases his tail, "digs to China" in his litter box, plays in the water of his water dishes, chews on wicker, cardboard and anything else he can get his teeth on including a Christmas cactus AND a poinsettia that was given to me recently. I called my vet after I found two of the red bracts chewed off and bite marks on some of the green ones. She told me he might throw up, or at best drool. Did he? Nope! Not nary a dribble! (She told me, however, that all parts of lilies are so toxic that even the pollen is deadly. That scared me; I had lilies in an anniversary arrangement from my husband.) The cactus is outside on a porch (the cat is not allowed outside) but I've had to hide the poinsettia in various rooms; can't even allow him to see it lest he follow me, practically begging for it. I know I need to plant more wheat grass for him. I think I'll buy him a couple of sheets of sod...!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you! nedweenie 0 Dec 12, 2007 12:33 PM
Good information ViburnumValley 5 Dec 17, 2007 8:56 PM
I'd always wondered about that digigirl 0 Dec 12, 2007 3:00 PM
Finally! Someone with some sense! plantfreak78 2 Dec 23, 2007 2:53 PM
Yahoo! one less thing to worry me☺ posyblossom 1 Dec 12, 2007 7:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America