Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canadian Gardening: What's happening in your neck of the woods .. 2012 :-)

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 193, Views: 1,061
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 4, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #8953973

Coming from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233427/#new

New thread, NEW YEAR ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 4, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #8953984

Whew ..I sure hope the move 'took' .. shouldn't attempt stuff like that so early in the morning ..

Did anyone see the 'meteor shower' last night ? I got up at 3am .. waited for half an hour, saw 2 shooting stars and called it good!!

TBay, and no doubt all of Ontario (and the other Provinces) are slowly becoming cognisant of the fact that hospital CEOs are DRASTICALLY over paid! Our TBRegional CEO gets $349,000./year PLUS, PLUS, PLUS !! I am starting to see where the OCCUPY movement is coming from !!

Anyway ,, hope I didn't confuse ya'll too much with the move .. enjoy your day ... and, once again .. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

^_^

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #8954081

Must have taken because I found you. Happy New Year everyone!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 4, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #8954151

Thanks for the move "M"

Spent the night with Darlene, they took life support off at 2:30 and Mike passed on at 2:45pm..transferred telephones to house so am working quietly..

Very cold yesterday and also this morning..glad my car started without a problem.

Not chatty today, think a nap between calls might help

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 4, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #8954211

Happy New Year, Everyone!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 4, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #8954680

Betty, my condolences to both Darlene and YOU.. that's a tough heart wrenching situation to have to go through,

Happy to see that the 'move over' went OK ..

TBay was almost 'TROPICAL' today .. -3C .. I do the RIck Hansen relay this coming Tuesday and am hoping the temps remain that nice.

Take care all ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 4, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8954687

well, it was 15C here today...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 4, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #8954701

Quite exciting for you "m" ...know Lorna would have loved to do it..I'm sure she will be with you in spirit..

Worked from home today, roads were quite it..gentleman up the street had hus electric street wheelchair set up with dog in harness pulling him up the hill..smart he was wearing his helmet seeng as the dog was getting quite a speed!!

Very tired tonight, should begin bed sleeping but Darlene said she would try to stay at home on her own but would call me if she needed me to come over tonight! Was glad I spent the night with her last night..soooo don't want to go to bed just yet..

Have furnace on full tilt and downstairs and kiving room fireplaces turned in high and still feel chilled..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 5, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #8955063

Susan .. these temps are just plain 'NOT RIGHT' .. however, that said, since there's nothing we can do to change them, we might as well enjoy them :-)

Dogs had me up at 5:30am this morning and I have remained up .. have a busy day ahead, might as well get a bit of a 'jump start', how come I am NOT jumping LoL

Hope you got some sleep Betty .. can imagine the next few days will be busy.

Enjoy your day everyone

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 5, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #8955395

They may be Not Right, but we were "threatened" with a long hard winter, and instead we get These temps... no complaints here! I know others are having a hard winter...

Betty - sure hope you get some sleep And rest (two Can be mutually exclusive, y'know!)
Keeping Dar in my thoughts and prayers...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #8957868

What can one say about the weather except 'WOW' .. records being set, snow melting, and the farmers here are in fits about it ..
I'm just enjoying it while it lasts ..

Got the Blackberry Playbook yesterday .. my granddaughter has helped me set it up 'so far' .. will need actual physical help with the rest as I can't seem to grasp verbal clues LoL
Quite the nifty little machine.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #8958048

Just me posting from the blackberry playbook. I want to see if it will go through ok. Only took me half an hour to get Daves on the desktop lol!!

*M*

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #8958057

You will love is "M". Half the fun is playing

Time for funeral home
Ride is here

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #8958175

Betty - am thinking about you while you help those in need, at the funeral home, and pray that you find peace during this difficult time...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #8958292

Thanks Susan, just got in, difficult to say the least..I lost a great friend in Mike..hope I can repay his kindness by now watching over his wife!

Going for bath a maybe pamper myself with a nap!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #8958380

Glad to hear you're home, safe & sound...

btw - I'm rather pleased with myself - found a good download site for e-books, and downloaded them to my e-reader!! I also have them in my Adobe Digital Edition for reading on my PC if I wish! :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #8958391

Good girl Susan, will ask Jeff for the site he gets all our books..says he downloads almost the same day they are released..

Yep, tired/tired so calling it a night. Know it's just after six but my body tells me it's well after midnight!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #8958436

Betty - how is Jeff? Is he feeling better?
btw - I sent you a memory stick, as you asked.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #8958916

Morning all, imagine, slept in till almost 7:30..getting to be a lazybone.

Bright day outside, cold I think..

Going to an afternoon movie with Ann at 1:30 so I have a few hours to play in the craft room

Coffee is on, enjoy!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 8, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #8959677

wow - 7:30 am... geeze - how late is that?!?!? LOL Betty - you're a "caution" y'know!! LOL
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #8960707

Happy New Year all!

Have just had the most unsettling experience with some bug, flu or something that's kept me down since right after Christmas. Things would seem to be getting better and I'd think I'd be up the next day and then wham! I'd be right flat again. On antibiotics now with a chest x-ray on order. And I am so far behind at work I don't think I'll catch up until Easter!

Betty and Vi-Ann, thanks for the responses re cooking the cranberries. I do remember now that aluminum was the culprit.

Carol, loved the photos. I'm so glad you feel able to share your journey with us all.

Coffee break over, got to get back to work. Take care all and keep warm . . .
~marilyn

Thumbnail by cybercrone

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 9, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #8960737

Marilyn, see you are thinking spring lol..yikes, so many have had the flu and been down for several weeks..some of our hospitals were closed to visitors that's how bad it got.. hope you are now on the mend. Normally I do not get the 'flu' shot but this year Dr. felt I should, perhaps he was right in urging me to do so. Continue with meds and do please continue to rest a bit or you will be right back feeling unwell.

Susan...it is a big deal for me to sleep in until 7:30am..to me, feels like noon!

First day back at work has passed fairly quickly, keep wanting to telephone Darlene but I told her I'd let her call me at home or work so if she is sleeping I'll not wake her.

OMG this morning was sewing, could smell a foul smell, yep, one of the kitties pee'd in my sewing box..out goes all the thread..costly to replace I'll tell you...shaking my head..not good lol at least it wasn't on the quilt I'm making..decided to put it in a plastic tote bag just incase..

So what are you all up to? weather? didn't even wear a jacket this a.m., cold but I don't seem to feel it..not our standard winter weather..my boys sure aren't liking it BUT my snowplow man is...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #8961053

I want to shout 'IS IT SPRING'? Temps of +4C .. snow melting, winds from the south, and this is expected to continue .. am in the RICK HANSEN Relay tomorrow and the same weather is expected !!! Will have pics for sure.

Have had several health care facilities closed for a few days because of a gastric bug, and, one respiratory one .. hope you feel better Marilyn ..

Went to the doc today .. as expected, I have a return of 'Trochanteric bursitis' .. to make it short and not too sweet, it's a PAIN in the butt (and hip) but, ice, massage and drugs seem to be working .. it'll get a test run tomorrow fer sure !! Or, shall I say a TEST WALK ..

Oooooooooo .. Betty, nothing worse than cat urine on material .. it will be costly to replace the items fer sure ..

Stay well all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #8961860

I'm thankful I didn't have an accident on the way to work...
We haven't had much snow this year, but it dumped "Big Time" this morning, and I did a "180" on the "off-ramp" from one major road to another. Suddenly I was facing the car behind me! I managed to back up and turn myself around, and the person behind/in front of me waited until I was facing the right way before coming too close!
I overshot my next turn off, and got a little past where I needed to turn, but got myself to work safely and with minutes to spare before I started work. I'd left extra early because of the snow and slippery conditions I'd heard about on the radio.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #8961896

Looks like winter out there this morning although there is not much in my part of town, expect the streets were slippery, lots of ice still on the sides. The wind is cold though and I am not going to walk the dogs.

ASR has a fund raiser at an agility show this coming weekend so those of us who sew( 3) have been busy making beds - we had lots of small and medium but no large and they sell well at this show. I keep all the fabric in my basement, Joan and I cut out lots of fabric early in December, then I cut out the polyfill and trim and pin them and they are ready to sew. They are pretty simple beds, I am always checking out fleece to find neat patterns, not that the dogs care but the owners do, and put denim or corduroy on the reverse. There is a small group who really like the old style camo patterns so a couple of years ago I found some at an online fabric store in US and bought 10 meters - almost used up, half the price I would pay here if I could find it. I also always look for colored denim which is hard to find, better sometimes to look for heavy cord. The polyfill is also expensive since I buy the heaviest and double it so I don't buy it except when it goes on a 50% off sale. Used to happen every month, not so frequent now, I was out Jan 2 to get some. The beds on the left in the pic are ready to sew, not sure if I will get them done by the weekend but we will have lots. I put an extra board in the kitchen table and set up there, nicer than sewing in the basement!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #8961905

Carol - you have quite the assembly line there! Good for you!
Have you ever tried old blankets for the liner/batting? Well washed ones should be fine, wouldn't you think? Could probably get some from Sally-Ann...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #8961923

I like the polyfill better - because of the loft, and although it does flatten with time as soon as the bed is washed it pops up again.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #8962032

Hi All
Cyber , hope your bug is leaving you. Like the Ice plants, I grew some from seed last year they were more red but I loved them.
Carol looks like your beds are coming along. Good luck on getting more done for the cause.
Susan glad it was only a little ride this am, that ice can be tricky.
Betty, that darn cat, why do they pick other box's!!
"M" I wish a good hip day for tomorrow, enjoy your walk.

Our weather took a turn for colder today. small skiff of snow and a blustery wind. I want some snow so that my perennials will be covered for the really cold days that will come.
Was thinking it 's almost time to get my stored geraniums out to plant up. I think I will start them at the end of January this year. Then it will be on to the Canna's in my neighbors basement. Ohhh spring where are you?
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #8962070

Ann - it's 16k to work and then back again.
Right now the wind is "kicking up" and blowing snow all over everywhere.
I hear this is coming from Edmonton?! so I hope you're doing alright...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #8962440

Jeeze Susan .. quite the hair raising ride to work for you .. so happy you weren't injured ..

Carol, as always, I stare at the pics of the beds and pick the one I like .. PLAID one for me LoL They all look so cozy ^_^

We will get our BLAST of cold after a day of +6C, in the next few days, from the west .. knew it wouldn't last ..

The walk was too totally amazing .. I could go on and on about it, but will just post a few pics .. I am so happy I participated .. and .. my hip went south on me AFTER I got home .. whew !!!!

Take care all

~M~

First pic .. the 'group of runners/walkers from our little burg .. clue .. I have WHITE hair LoL

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #8962445

Susan
Wind is howling like a banshee, business next door had a worker on the roof. We heard a big crash and ran outside to find his ladder on the ground but he was still safely on the roof! It's a good job that we looked he would have been cold for a bit.
The temp has dropped and there is a skiff of snow ...this is winter ...right? We are fine here just blown away at times.

Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #8962449

This one is my passing of the over one pound silver weighted Rick Hansen medal to an Elite athelete who WHEELED 12 miles to the next stop !! Amazing peoplw in this world ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #8962466

siiiiiiiigh - well, here I sit at the office.
Guess I was more distracted by my near-car-accident this morning than I thought - I left the keys in the car and the battery's dead.
Good thing one of the engineers is staying late in a meeting and he has booster cables. It's been 3/4 of an hour and the car won't start yet. Likely to be here for another 3/4 of an hour yet.
Between chatting online and my e-reader, I've got stuff to do, but it's already pitch-dark and I have a church board meeting at 7pm.

Ann - so glad you heard the crash, and that the worker was safe! Good that you were there to put the ladder back up so he could get warm on lower ground...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #8962612

Marilyn- do you mean the yellow plaid on top of the right hand pile? It has brown denim on the back.

I like that one too. I also have a red plaid which will have green denim on the back.

I could make you a couple if you give me an approximate size.

I don't have any more of the yellow plaid( hope I can get some more in the fall) but I do have some finished - they are about 24x24, 22x27 and 28x28 they will be $30 each plus shipping. If that color is what you wanted and size is suitable you need to let me know ASAP as they will go out for sale on the weekend. I also have some of the green/black plaid that are about 24x24

I have lots of the red plaid and still some of the green and black.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #8962696

Great photo'"M"! Who would have thought you would have such good weather..as I climbed into bed and switched stations I heard newsman say, storm advisory, think it is in your neck of the woods!

Carol, what a tremendous amount of work..I so see why the sell out! Not sure all Fabriclands have same sale?? Got their adv. call tonight saying there is a 50% members sale this Saturday only...seeing as the kittie pee,d in my thread box, might be a good time to restock

Alberta Ann thank goodness the ground is frozen, you sound so anxious to be gardening I'm sure you would be outdoors planting..lol

Susan, hope you are mobile..great that co worker stayed to help out

Oops, furry wants out! Gab in a bit!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #8963232

Betty - he stayed 1 hour (yes they had a meeting, but don't think it would have lasted that long if I hadn't "needed" them to).
He's an angel!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #8963278

Is your weather better? Hear there is a front coming in from Tennessee that migh give us havoc by tomorrow night!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #8963525

Betty - I got an adv call from Fabricland, too. I think they must have the same sales, cuz they give a 1-800 # to call, not local...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #8963837

Would be a good time to shop..Susan got your pkg today..will get the stick to Jeff so he can download books for you..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #8963883

Yaaaaaay that you finally got my pkg!
I sent a quilt square to the US and they haven't gotten it yet... promised in 5 days... that was Wed night. It's now 5 days...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 12, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #8964869

Well I have finished sewing dog beds. I do have more cut but without polyfill but the fund raiser is this weekend so I am done, took down the sewing machine, returned the kitchen table to normal ( and in the process finally took most of the indoor Xmas decorations down to the basement.

We will be having another fundraiser early March so if necessary can sew some more beds after we see how much we sell this weekend. I always have lots of fabric.

Tomorrow having a bit of surgery on my face ( temple) where I had a basal cell carcinoma removed in the fall, this is just to get a bigger clean margin. And next week starts my 3rd chemo cycle.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 12, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #8964878

Sitting up for a bit here .. my hip is pitchin a fit STILL .. am married to ice packs ~~

Carol .. would love a bed, and may take you up on that closer to the spring. Right now we have 4 on th go, but one is looking mighty 'tatty' !!

Weather has returned to the normal January chill .. that north wind is awful.

Back to bed :-(

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 12, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #8964968

"M" maybe that walk you did didn't help??? best rest now in hopes that the pain will quickly subside.

Carol, you put so much effort out, sure hope they all sell but then that would mean you'd be back to sewing again..but, you must enjoy it as it's a project you often undertake..may I ask what the charge is? Your procedure isn't something you have to spend a night in the hospital is it? How many more rounds of chemo do you have..

well, just a light mist of snow..if we were going to get a storm it's pass us by...I am working from home tomorrow, NOT taking chances that it's stormy and I have to drive in..actually I might work on the Christmas quilt and see how far I get with it..promising myself I'm NOT going to get dressed all weekend..wonder if that is possible?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 12, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #8964979

Betty we charge from 20-45 dollars for the beds depending on the size. We make them with fleece on one side and denim or cord on the other. They are pretty simple really and easy to make- actually the cutting and pinning the layers is what takes the time so I do it like a production line. There are two other volunteers who sew but I get them all cut and pinned and ready to sew for them. I store all the fabric and have a large craft table in the basement so it is convenient for me to do it.
Last year we made $700.00 at this agility trial fund raiser( all the profits go to rescues)

No my procedure will just be a few hours at a dermatology surgical centre. They slice off a VERY thin layer and check the pathology, then take another layer and check pathology again etc. etc. So how long it takes depends on how much they have to remove.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 12, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #8965091

Carol - sounds painful, but I suppose they give you a local...
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 12, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #8965162

'M' better take care of the hip or gardening may take a hit.
Betty, Christmas ... didn't we just finnish that? You are way ahead of me that's for sure.
Carol the beds look like they are what work best, easy to move and I bet they fit in the washer too. Better take a book and a snack/drink if you are going to be there for a bit. My mom and sister said it was the longest wait ever! Is someone going to drive you?

We have gotten colder here and it seems that we are finally getting a winter minute. It's getting lighter for longer periods so it makes the days better here.

I think I will soak my saved Geraniums to see what has made the winter, might get out the begonias too.
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 12, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #8965205

Susan yes a local anaesthetic.
Ann they even suggest you bring a lunch!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 13, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #8966416

Hiya ..
Up way early this morning to take my son Murray to hosp for a scope (tummy) had forgotten what eary morning rush hour traffic was like!
All went well and i had him home by 11.
The hour wait to get called into the surgical daycare suite was the longest, the procedure took 15 minutes.

Babying my hip for a bit, it didn,t much like all rhe walking again today,

Supposedly getting snow overnight, sure has cooled off!

Hope your appt went well Carol.

TTFN

M
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 13, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #8966463

My little surgery went well, I was there at 730 and all stitched up by 930 although had to wait another 30 minutes for the doc to check the last slide. It is aching a bit now so I will take a Tylenol. Have a huge dressing on ( mostly for pressure I assume) , take it off tomorrow and then just small dressings for 3 days, then open air and stitches out next Friday.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 13, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #8966596

Carol - as it's on your temple, I imagine it would hurt to eat? I hope it's healing well.

my DH got some bad news today - go figure... it's Friday the 13th...
He got let go from his new job, at 2:30 today. He's only worked there for just over a month, but one of the bosses (Nicole) doesn't like Bob. Nicole's boss likes my Bob, and he said if something changes and she's no longer there, then my Bob will get his job back. However, she's been there for 5 years and I don't suppose she'll be leaving the company...
Last May, on Friday the 13th is when Bob lost his last job...

I got some "possible" good news today... the head guy in Calgary, John, came to tell me that it's been approved by Montreal to have my position become perm, now it's Washington's and then Paris' decision. If either of them don't want it perm, it will stay temp for awhile longer, As John said "it's stuck in Washington now". The decision is to be made by Feb 10th.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #8967072

Morning, brrrr. We are in deep freeze this morning, thinking if going to town but sitting herein Jammie's I'm not feeling that energetic, I could so just stay in Jammie's.

Worked from home yesterday, got on a cleaning frenzie..managed to do closets, drawers (purging) feels great to open a drawer and seeing everything ironed, folded and in order. With not feeling well over the holidays I did not finish Sil's afghan, managed to to that yesterday so could drop it off if I go to town. Then Santa quietly all evening and pinned rows of blocks for rag quilt so got much accomplished..should force myself to brave the cold as furries have to eat and I'll not be able to play with sewing unless I buy thread..drats to a kittie who oee'd in my sewing basket..not cheap to replace all the thread.

Alberta Ann, why must you wash your geraniums?? I keep mine but set them in the laundry room where it's cooler and dark?

"m" hope you are. Behaving yourself, could it be from the walk you did the other day?

Susan, I'm just sick thinking that someone who also has to work for a living could be so cruel as to have someone lose their job..here is hoping he finds a better job and you get full tme employment.

Carol,glad the procedure went off without a hitch. Got to tell you that is a reasonable price for the beds...my sister does rescue for American Eskimos, maybe I should tell her about how you make funds then perhaps I better not seeing as I'd likely be the one dong them. Lol

Well, must get a move on if I want to get to and back from town before the masses

Bit worried seeing as I did not notice gas gauge was at empty and the light came on..doubt I can warm her up before heading out..never do that..guess mind was somewhere else..should dress warm incase I have to walk. Lol
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 14, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #8967139

Betty
I soak them because I have just the plant and it's roots so to spark it back to growing I bring it into the light and soak the roots. I knock off the dried leaves and pot up the plants after 24 hrs of soaking. I do it this was so as not to bring in bugs that will drive me nuts. When I took all the soil off last fall I swished the greenery in a bucket of soapy water then let them dry in the sun before I brought them in.
They look fairly sad all dried up however the stems are firm so most of them will send out new leaves when brought out again.

Susan sorry to hear about Bob's Job! I did hear that lots of jobs are coming about soon for the spring so will look forward to hearing that Bob is back to work.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 14, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #8967228

Gawd, the 'ups and downs' of a Friday the 13th !! Bob's job loss almost smacks of 'nepotism' .. I know from experience that nepotism runs rampant in hospital settings, very distressing for people who are very qualified trying to get ahead but being past over for someones sister/brother et al ..
I sure hope Bob finds employment .. as Alb Ann says, Spring usually brings about many job opportunities.

Glad your procedure went well Carol ..

PURGING .. well Betty, that should be my MIDDLE name, but, as I have said in the forum before, MY middle name is PROCRASTINATION !! Glad you organized and I do hope you can replace all the thread, it'd be the colours I'd miss ..

Am about 30% better in the hip dept .. the walk was no doubt a catalyst that set me back a bit, but, wouldn't have missed it for the world !!

Family brunch at DSinL tomorrow, should get busy and go into town and pick up some sausage rolls from a local bakery. But, hydro has me entrenched in LAUNDRY WEEKENDS !! Have load 3 on now ..

COLD here, but, sunny ^_^

Enjoy your day

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 14, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #8967411

~M~ - glad you went on the walk for Lorna, anyway - also glad your hip is on the mend.

Bob's previous job was lost because of nepotism... on Friday 13th of May, so if that's what happened in this job, it seems appropriate that it was also Friday the 13th...
Anyway, he's going to apply to an industrial temp company (branch of the temp agency I'm at my job with) on Monday.
He may also apply at Lowe's or Home Depot (both in our neighbourhood). Who knows - a temp position can become a perm one, right?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #8967852

Evening all, almost time to call it a day..near finished a rag quilt, likely 2 hours left to that and short 8 blocks for a Christmas king size quilt top..it has been one of those days, sew/sew/sew and everything goes perfect..almost want to continue but noooo tomorrow is another day.. So funny, my sister called, my mom dropped n and Sharon is finishing putting rows together to her rag quilt..here we are gabbing and in the backgrou d she could hear me sew and I her..lol now that is a bit obsessive!

I'd be marking all the Friday the 13th Susan and staying n bed that day..still very. Fair.

"m" hoping tomorrow you will be more mobile and no pain for your outing. As for purging tomorrow I'd like to go through bedroom #2, just find that with making Christmas pressies since October I've left the dusting and corner cleaning , now it's catch up time before garden time.

Carol, didn't know you could wash roots, thought only requirement was to bring inside before freezing!

Think I'm due a treat. Then off to bed..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 14, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #8967901

Susan I understand there are two more Friday 13 this year - better mark them!

Most of the day out at the agility rescue trial, I think we probably sold about $ 400 or more worth of beds
( that's actually not many beds) and still tomorrow, lots of people check out the beds and prices on Saturday and come prepared to buy on Sunday. I have not been at a trial for over 2 years - could not go last year as I was not long out of the hospital - so it was nice to see a lot of old friends and aquaintences.

Weather supposed to start deteriorating tonight and winter arrives tomorrow - they are predicting day time highs of low -20's plus snow. I filled up with gas this morning before I went out to the trial and got milk on the way home so supplies are fine. Of course this week Tuesday I have to go to the cancer clinic and Wed is chemo! I will see if somebody other than my 89 year old neighbor can drive me up there - would rather she stayed off the road! I have a couple of other options.

Susan eating is no problem - the incision is rather high but it is very itchy I think from the tape and I am supposed to keep it covered for two more days!I just now took off the dressing and redid it with less tape since I am home in a relatively clean environment.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #8967928

Must. Have been a long day for you Carol, you'll sleep well tonight! Maybe you will break your previous record of $700 ..hope you do.

Bitter cold here today, don't think they are calling for much snow this week, maupybe it's going directly your way..let's hope clear weather for you're chemo

Yawning away..Dave iPad in bed, will do a few crosswords which will surely put me to sleep!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 14, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #8968017

**Marking the calendar**

Itchy means healing, Carol - so that's good!

After service tomorrow am will be filling up the car - too lazy today. Bob & I just took a "down" day. Don't feel like doing much. Started out with a terrible plugged sinus and Boy did it HURT. I don't think I've ever had such a painful plugged sinus. Took some ColdFx (look-alike version) and it sure worked! I feel "human" again.
hmmmmm Bob's vacuuming - one way to forget how he's feeling... well, it was only a month, so he didn't get TOO attached to the company...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 14, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #8968034

Yes but in this case it is almost certainly the tape ( because of the location. ) I just now took off the tape they gave me and put a couple of band aids there instead and it feels much better!

I'd like to go to bed but don[t dare since it is only 830 and I would sleep 2-3 hours and then be awake and take ages to go back to sleep! I took a sleeping pill last night, don't want to do it again!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #8968151

Carol, smart thinking .. I should have stayed up a bit later, here I am at 2 in the morning watching a movie, wide awake..drats, almost tempted to get up..doesn't take long to get days and nights mixed up..you could be allergic to the tape.

Susan, hope by morning you are feeling better..poor Bob, I'm sure he is in shock.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 15, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #8968405

Well in the end managed to stay awake until almost 11PM! Thanks to the old TV!

Using bandages instead of the tape and the itching disappeared. Odd because i have never been allergic to any tape, maybe the chemo has changed a few things!

Started to snow last evening, everything is white and still snowing. Glad I went to the agility trial yesterday and don't have to go today!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #8968429

Sometimes body chemistry changes, I was never allergic to penicillin until several years ago. Will the others man the booth for sale of beds?

No snow here, my boys sure are disappointed, especially Kyle who just bought a snowmobile and everything he got for Christmas pertained to snowballing..not a happy camper..back to sewing, 4 more rows to sew and rag quilt is done..it's what one would call, coat of many colors seeing as I used up scraps but warm it will be.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #8968787

Been busy playing concerts and managing the ticket sales. That's over now. If Fabricland calls me about anything, I tell them where to go. I do not like ANY business to call me unless I ask them to do so.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #8968831

Carol - I gather you're not going out today? We Just Got Winter, eh? lol
Do you have a snow angel to clear the driveway, etc? It's a windchill of -30c now... with the base of -18c.
not going to get warmer until Saturday Jan 21st... brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Good thing it will clear up then - it's the night of our Robbie Burns dinner - 6pm. Carol, are you interested in attending? Tickets are $18 each.
We'll have roast beef, turnips and potatoes, haggis, oat cakes, fruit cobbler, trifle, and for Entertainment we have 2 pipers, highland dancers, a harpist, and a celtic choir. Our own choir will also be having a sing-along of songs made popular by Robbie Burns.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #8968968

ViolaAnn, when you purchase a membership they ask if you would like their flyers /emails/calls when big sale is on..I so would have taken advantage of the 1 day sale but didn't want to drive all the way to Barrie!

You will be glad to have a rest, am sure a lot of energy is used up even for ticket sales..easy part might be playing?

Susan you make it sound good enough for me to buy a ticket.

Managed to burn supper..drats, glad no company is coming..I just had to go downstairs and finish sewing a block together...shaking my head here as I know better
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 15, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #8968980

I hired a company last year to do the front sidewalks - so at least it gets cleared once every 24 hours. Found a small company last year that was not too expensive.
I usually do some in the back since I park the car there and have a neighbor with a snowblower who also clears walks and driveways in the back lane for some of us who are getting on in years.

Thanks Susan - no thanks, I avoid large gatherings whenever possible.

Bandages over incision also started to itch this morning so I am just putting a small dressing on top of the polysporan which holds it in place. My nurse friend who clips the cats nails came over this morning and told me it was OK to do that - she was an infection control nurse for 25 years so I trust her judgement in things like that.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 15, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #8969019

To say i am 'sufficiently suffonsified' is saying the least !!
My sister in law put on a most wonderful spread for brunch/lunch/afternoon munch LoL
Was a great time, just always find it kind of stressy when there are young children under foot.

So Calgary got winter .. am wondering if it'll continue east .. keep hearing it will .. nice and mild here today .. wish I could have walked the dogs, but Gord did .. my hip is still grousing :-(

BUSY upcoming week ... bed early fer sure tonight, just hope I am not up at 2am AGAIN !!!!

Take care everyone

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #8969030

hahahaha Betty - rest assured, we don't burn the dinner on Burn's night LOL

Carol - I seem to recall last year that you said the same thing, and obviously I'd forgotten lol Ah well, my memory...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 15, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #8969060

It is as much a medical issue as anything else Susan - I avoid crowds where I might pick up an infection. I do go out shopping - Safeway etc but not to places where I have a lot of close contact with others -I even have signs on the doors that ask people not to visit if they have a cold or other infection. Last year I was not that long out of hospital and still too weak to tolerate visiting for more than 15-20 minutes even when they came to my house!

M I think we are going to keep winter here most of the week so it may not come your way soon!

A neighbor, whose husband does all the cooking, brought me a big slice of meatloaf with gravy for supper. Mmmmmm!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 16, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #8969592

Lorna is the same as far as going out in large groups , or, being around someone with a 'catchy' health issue. She has no spleen and that, paired with her blood disorder, makes getting 'something' a double whammie.
She takes vitamins and ALWAYS has hand sanitizer in her pocket, and she is a religious hand washer.

MEAT LOAF .. now there's something I haven't made in awhile!! I bet it was good ^_^
Am making a casserole I got a recipe for yesterday .. have to pick up the fixins today.

We have WIND today, from the west, but, mild temps .. haven't heard a forecast as of yet,

Kinda chuckled when I read about you burning your supper Betty .. with me, it's burning the tea towels !!! We have had this gas range for 2 years, and I STILL haven't given it the respect it deserves !!

Hobbling on !!

~M~

Last pic .. this is Lorna and myself and the wchair athlete I transferred Rick Hansen's silver medal to .. quite the wonderful young man.

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #8969658

So glad you were able to do the run "M" !

Just thinking this morning as I pulled out the yard, we are already mid January and really NO winter..before long we'll be thinking gardening. News this morning said this is blue MONDAY, saddest day of the year..ok, I was feeling fine before I heard what day it was.

Not sure what is going on with my body, not feeling the cold at all..must have different body chemicals warming me up

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 17, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #8971402

Well the weather reports say it was /is -30 with wind chill -40! And of course today I had to be up at the cancer clinic for blood work at 815 and see doc at 945. I left the car plugged in all night( no garage) - I dont have a timer for the block heater ( well I do but never set it up) as I had to leave about 845. Car started fine. I take a route against the rush hour traffic which was just as well this morning but people were driving carefully and slower than normal. So I was finished the blood work and waiting /reading - I always take a book - at the clinic by 845 and the nurse called me in at 9! Nobody else had shown up ! So I was on my way home before my appt time.

Chemo tomorrow,. a neighbor will drive me and I dont have to be there quite so early.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 17, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #8971413

it's really brrrrrrrrrrrrrr today, Carol
What time do you have to be at Chemo tomorrow? So good of your neighbour to drive you!
Driving this am was dicey - slippery even on the Deerfoot for a few blocks' distance...
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #8971414

Just a quick scan through to catch up.

Susan, and all the rest of you - read an article in an auto magazine saying how with new cars you cannot use booster cables any more. It fries the electronics in all sorts of ways and problems may not show up for weeks down the road, but they will be expensive when they do.
Unfortunately the article didn't state what you should do instead, and I haven't checked with my mechanic to find out what he might know about the situation. So do check it out with someone who is 'up' on the newest information, especially those of you who are in the colder parts of the country.

This is not the article I originally saw, but gives more information and also gives a solution: http://green.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/at-witz-end-throw-away-those-old-jumper-cables/

Keep warm,
~marilyn

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 17, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #8971417

Betty - I'd been hearing this same thing for 25+ years... and even then some mechanics agreed and others didn't .
At this time I don't know what to believe anymore...
As you say, "what should you do instead"? Maybe it's a ploy to sell new batteries... sounds cynical, I know, but in cases such as these, I am!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 17, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #8971465

Carol nice to have appointments go more quickly than anticipated. Super to have good neighbors.
Cyber, I boosted with my car a couple of years ago and it fried a $ 1500.00 computer so ...I believe that if you don't know what you are doing , give people a ride or let them wait in your car but boosting one ... ?? I won't do it again as it was an expensive lesson.

Have made a couple of orders from Hosta Choice's Sale flyer and also put in my Botanus order as I snoosed and missed the Colchucums(sp?) last fall.

It is bitterly cold here too.
But the sun is shining.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 17, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #8971574

Yikes, Ann - thanks for confirming re: boosting other's cars... guess sometimes it pays to be cautious, and I should remember that old information is just that... too old to be trusted.
Thanks for the "heads up". As you say - if in doubt DON'T!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #8971725

Absolutely, it doesn't pay to boost others cars anymore. They are so full of computers that lots of damage can be done. I used to carry jumpers cables with me all the time, but no more. I think my new car has SEVERAL computers in it. It's waaay too smart.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 17, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #8971760

Imagine, cars smarter than we lol but it is true, imagine some models are parking themselves! Wish it was cold here, truly do..left work early as the fog was rolling in , pouring rain and expecting flash freeze. So many are sick with that terrible flu and it hers with colds they cannot get rid of, am sure it is attributed to this crazy weather..

When I arrived home you could see the grass in many areas, almost unheard if at this time of year!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 17, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #8971762

lol they're smarter me, that's for sure.
I just want to know the silly things Work, and leave Their brand of computering to them... lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 18, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #8973568

Still pretty cold here but supposed to start warming up and above zero by the weekend! Of course I had to go to the hospital yesterday and today. My appt yesterday was early( blood) and then doc at 945. At 9Am they called me in because nobody else had showed up! So I was home before my appt time!
Driving was slow as roads tended to be rather slick but most people are being careful. Neighbor Marie took me today.

The dogs go out and come in again very quickly- they have not had a walk for about 2 weeks now -= tomorrow should be dog walker day but it is too cold and I know they will not want to go. Fortunately since they are senior dogs they are not complaining.

Tomorrow is a stay home day. My cleaner will be coming also and I have no appointments to keep!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 18, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #8973680

yaaaaay for an early app't, stay-home day, and your cleaner coming lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 19, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #8973750

Mornimg all, having a cold bitter day but you in the west know what that is all about!

I'm working from home today, not really what you can call work, maybe answer about 10 or so calls so will give me the opportunity to clean one more room (drawers/closet) and play in the craft room. Normally I take Fridays but we have signings Friday and I feel I should be there..

Wonderful Carol that your appts went well and you can just relax today..how did you make out at the dog show? We're they able to sell more beds on Sunday?

Susan, here's hoping you vehicle starts this morning and you have a sunshine day at work!!

"m" you feeling better?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 19, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #8973835

I'll have no trouble with my vehicle. Don't have to plug it in much, except for the bitterly cold days like we're having.
I just have to warm it up so it's comfortable for me to dive it lol I'm such a wuss! I'll be glad when it's brighter both going to and coming from work! So many accidents on the roadway, but yesterday it was "downed" cars sitting by the side of the road, with 4-way flashers on. SOMEBODY wasn't looking after their car!!

Sunshiny day possibly - only a few clouds...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 19, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #8973874

Meant in your life Susan. Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 19, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #8974105

I knew what you meant, Betty - time will tell, time will tell...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 19, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #8974315

All the work lunnies must be having bad day..was working from home..about 12:30 got an e-mail from niece who works in another office, seems she was expecting a VERY/VERY/VERY IMPORTANT document, e-mail went on and on..I sent her an e-mail saying if it was that important I'd rush to the office...waited 10 minutes, no response, so, snowing, wind blowing, few white outs drove the hour to the office..no sooner got in did she call apologizing for me coming in..said she called the courts to have documents sent to her...shaking my head here..

Said why not switch the phones to her and go home...AS IF, by now I was aggravated enough that I said now that I am here, here I will stay...

WHAT is wrong with people..does nobody know how to work as a team..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 19, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #8974411

team? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sometimes NOT, Betty...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 19, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #8974551

The official temp seems to be about 020 but my thermometer on the north side of the house is reading -16!
On our way here!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 19, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #8974555

Yep the thermostat was turned down at work this afternoon so it must be warming up.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 19, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #8974741

Stormy here, already for bed..taking hot chocolate with me..great loss to Canada shi team having Sarah Burke succumb to her injuries..believe originally a midland native!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 20, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #8975312

Writing from bed on the tablet,excuse any mistakes!!

Leg is still pitching a fit perhaps it doesn't like -40C either!!

Am hopinhg for a miraculous recovery soon!

Toodles

M

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 20, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #8975371

That is not good "M", don't you be rushing, get comfy, get that hubby of yours and Lorna to spoil you like you've been spoiling them, play the patient and enjoy .. I have netflix on my tablet/solitaire/scrabble and crosswords..should be enough if you've a few on yours to keep you busy..bet those furries are snuggled up and enjoying the comfort of your bed..wow that is cold..slight storm passed in my neck of the woods, not a tremendous amount of snow, maybe a few inches at most but it was the wind causing havoc with whiteouts..

Came to work today and have been looking at the clock, another 3 hrs. and homeward bound. A stop at the stained glass studio, pick up of some thread and in for the weekend..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 20, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #8975519

Still pretty col d here, better start warming up soon.Supposed to be above 0 on Sunday!

I was out this morning, had to have some stitches removed from a bit of facial surgery lastFriday, did a few errands and stopped at Safeway. Gentleman ahead of me moved away after paying but stood by the cashier with some bills in his hand and whispered to her, thought he wanted some change. After she totalled my bill I waited for the amount to come up for my debit card and in the mean time he handed her some money and some change came out. I said - you need to put it through for my card and she said no this gentleman just paid your bill! I was stunned! It was about $80!He was a total stranger. I had a hat on but probably it is fairly obvious I have no hair. What a nice thing to do!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 20, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #8975524

OMG, bless him..what a lovely thing for him to do!
There truly are some good people in this world..
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 20, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #8975656

Carol
How wonderful!! A small angel in that line up with you! All the kindness you have showed over time is coming back full circle , I'm so pleased to hear this, you have made my day!!!!!
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 21, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #8976565

Wow Carol - how nice is that!! I know there are some angels in Calgary, and so glad you got to "meet" one!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2012

Post #8977374

Good morning. haven't checked in for a few days and what a story to read! Gives one renewed faith in humanity.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 22, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #8977381

It is so ViolaAnn..don't come across them as often as we should..makes us want to go out and do something special as well.

How has Ottawa weather been? We'll soon have January behind us and I don't really find its been our good old Canadian winter

Oops furries want in

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 23, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #8979250

Checking in as well, and adding my 'WOW' re Carol's story.

Pretty much still unwell, and will hobble off to the oral surgeon tomorrow morning, an emergency booking as
my tooth has abcessed. Have drugs to take prior to appt, should be walking like a drunken seaman by ghe time we get there!!!

As always, fogive my spelling errors...using the new technology

M

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #8979326

"M" not good situation..you haven't been well since beginning of the year...drats, not good!

did you get an i-pad? so have to check my posts, wow it finds new sentences out of what I type and some not the nicest...always afraid I'll get booted from DG with it's wording.

Rain/rain/rain..even some freezing rain earlier..now calling for snow.
So mild out there, out without a heavy coat..imagine!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 23, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #8979394

2012 is not my year yet Betty ... but, lotsa days left :)

I have a Blackberry Playbook .. nice to uze while cofined to bed .. but oh my.. spelling suffers lol

15cm of snow here and still falling .. thank heavens we have snowblowers!!

ttfn

m
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 23, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #8979441

A couple of weeks ago a friend who was a nurse in the clinic I worked in at CHEO in Ottawa called me - we have always kept in touch and she just read my Xmas letter that my cancer was back. She called to say she was going to ask Victorias quilts to give me a quilt. So I went on line to check this out - it is a group started in USA, now chapters all over North America and they make lap quilts for people with cancer.
This morning one of the Calgary volunteers delivered my quilt- it comes in a lovely bag so you can fold it up and take it with you wherever you need it. Isn't it lovely?

http://www.victoriasquiltscanada.com/

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 3:04 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 23, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #8979472

Carol
Hi
It looks fabulous, I love the colors and that your head scarf matches! I can see all the detail on the back with the swirly stiching. I don't know what the real name for that is but It looks like it was a lot of work. Beautiful.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #8979525

Carol, omg how wonderful for you..you look so cozy..I believe they did random freehand quilting? So many organizations out there that do such much good..can't imagine how thrilled you must be. Looks a lot larger than a laptop, almost single size if not bigger!

Colors are also spectacular.. God bless them all!!

"m" spent many a night in bed or on the couch with iPad..so convenient . No snow here, actually it rained so much most of the snow in my yard is gone

Ann, you were sick, are you now back to your norm?

Waving to all
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 23, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #8979657

Betty the quilting is obviously done by machine and I suspect it is a machine that has quilting patterns programmed. Here is a look at the edge quilting. Dont think it is random freehand at all

There is a sort of wave pattern quilted across the patchwork squares. Everything is cotton so it can be washed. I am told they are all a specific size so even though bigger than a lap quilt they are big enough to cover if you are having chemo in a bed for instance.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 5:18 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #8979686

Beautiful, probably have someone with a large quilter..at christmasmi bought a series of different quilting templates to mark quilts for quilting..done with feed dogs down following the markings..just a treasure..you must be flying high with so many wonderful deeds coming your way..well deserved for all the good you do with rescue group..just know you are cuddled in, big smile, feeling all the love in each stitch.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 24, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #8980419

Carol - that is gorgeous! How wonderful that people are looking out for you! I'm sure it's giving you a "warm fuzzy", not to mention that you're cuddly in that quilt! Beautiful colours, too!!!!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 24, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #8981134

Beautiful quilt Carol, and the perfect seasonto receive it in :)

Survived the 2 extractions, but, it was surely NOT a walk i the park!! Seems nitrous oxide has NO effect on me,
they tried and tried and I eventually just took the freezing and prayed hard!!
Suffice to say i am a hurting unit, but have morphine to console me..

Night, night

M

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #8981230

"ouch M". Yikes, sure sounds painful to me..add that to everything else you have going on and...drats, nothing to smile about, even if you could!

Morphine, that is big time drugs...you will surely sleep tonight.

Darlene called me today..sold Mike's truck..difficult..know she's going on adrenaline and shock..I feel so badly for her!

Time for bed, here I'm praying for a snow day tomorrow..just don't want to go to work..it's been headache city.. Held my head most of the day..yuk

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #8981803

I agree - "ouch"!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 25, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #8982049

A tad better today ..rushing it i guess, but, i'm so not liking being in bed. I get up every hour or so and do something, albeit slowly ... very ligjtheaded. Noticed my blood pressure on the monitor yesterday never went off
112/60 !Lower than normal for me, and as i,m o blood pressure meds, I may have to sort that out!

Crisp cool day here .. sadly a young 9 year old girlpassed away from injuries sustained in a car crash on the weekend. Her 7 year old sister is still critical, Mom is ok, as is another sibling.

Life is never fair it seems

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #8982090

oooooooooh so sad, Marilyn...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 25, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #8982475

Hope you are feeling better soon Marilyn! Tooth work is never fun no matter what it is.

Chemo day for me, getting to be pretty routine. One more chemo in this cycle and it will e half way. CT scan next week to see what is happening inside!

Warm and windy here.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 26, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #8982597

Just a touch of snow overnight, cold, not so sure it's the dampness more than bitter cold that is getting to me!

"m". Here is hoping that you get a bit of relief today from the pain..

Carol, is the weather co operating for your neck of the woods for travelling for treatment? You will be glad to see these treatments behind you...are you going alone or will your neighbor drive you?

Looking at the time, must run
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #8982745

"M" is your mouth feeling any better today? Hard to eat when your mouth hurts.

Carol Warmish and windy here too. I hope the skiff of snow we have lasts through this weather as I think the plants will have a tough time otherwise. When you are at Chemo do you see some regulars and do you visit? Hope you are still getting rides so at least that stress of driving there and back is removed. I guess this will be Hump day for you.

Checked on my stored Canna's and the one I left in a pot,(in my neighbors cold room in the basement) has sprouted! Yikes that means I will have to haul it home and get the lights going. The other chunks seem to be nice and heavy yet so they can stay there for a bit. Have one saved Begonia started and are eagerly watching the others.

Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #8982778

Betty and Ann never drive myself to chemo- have a group of neighbors who share the transport and we arrange it all ahead of time. Have to think about a thank you for them when this is done ( probably end of April) Last year I took a group to brunch at Loughead House. When the weather was so bad last week we allowed lots of time. I drive my self the one day each cycle I go up for blood and a visit with the oncologist but as it is usually during rush hour I have a reverse route I use and it works nicely And even with the really cold weather people were driving sensibly ( mainly)-I don't have a garage so I just keep the car plugged in and allow extra time. I could of course drive myself to chemo but then would have of course to pay for 3-4 hours parking every time.

Ann yes I am wondering how the plants will do- there was not a lot of snow protection during that cold spell. My 'new; hosta bed I started 3 years ago lost all the snow and leaves I had careful put there Had no reasonable way to put more snow on it unless shifting from the one end of the yard to another!I always figure on losing on few plants with no snow cover . Am starting to thing about the indoor light garden/ Want to try begonias again but I started them too early last year and will order some plugs from Garden Retreat to use in the post as they are plants not available as seed yet ( mainly Calibochoa)
But I have to admit I am not yet feeling excited about it!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2012

Post #8982807

Carol - I've never heard of Garden Retreat - are they online only, or is there a store in Calgary/close by?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 26, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #8982889

Imagine, you are all thinking 'spring'..

Looked out at the gardens this morning and saw something I've not seen before...grass/gardens/garden art..yikes, no snow..great for me but not good for winter enthusiasts, including my boys!!!

Maybe one day next week I'll take a run to the Garden Gallery and walk during my lunch and get the feel of spring..it's so beautiful there!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #8982913

Thoughts of Spring ;) Automatically makes me feel better !!
,Still having lotsa down time, but, am pushing myself for more UP time!

Good to hear your organized re transport to your chemo Carol, puts a mind at ease.

Mild temps here, record setting!!

Off to shower

M

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 26, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #8982920

Nice seeing you post "M"..thrilled that we do not have to content with blizzard, that alone makes us smile

Had a busy/busy morning, now if the afternoon could go as well
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #8983087

Susan Garden Retreat is over near Chinook, they are on line also

Ann - dont much get to know people except some of the nurses are familiar after a while. Rarely ever see people twice - depends on the times/days/ lengths of appointments I guess. There are some support groups and I guess one could meet people regularly more that way but I am not involved in any of them.

I am off to AQsize this afternoon. I started going when I was previously having chemo and kept it up for 3-4 years but have not done it now for a long time. Figured to start again as it is good way to get me out. Go to a 50+ class two afternoons a week.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #8983089

Carol, you seem to have everything under control. Good . I must admitt I have moved some snow just to try and keep a few bits on a west edge of a raised garden but I'm not in the middle of Chemo either. Keeping your car plugged in is a good thing but just so you know if you are able you only need it plugged in for 2-3 hours before you use it. That is not always convienent though.
I decided that I was able to manage my Begonias well last year so I will use the same method this year. I think once they start I hate to not help them.
M good to see you here.
Betty, you are always busy not just in the mornings,LOL

Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #8983392

Remind me how you did your begonias.

I think what happened to mine was first I bought some rather early at Sunnyside just because I knew I wanted them and then I started them too early. At one point I had to move them because there were hitting the lights and the best place was out in the porch which was not nearly enough light compared to under the lights. So I need to start them much later I think. Wish I had kept track of the dates! They would have had better light out in the shed which gets very warm on sunny days but it was still getting cool at nights and I cannot put a heater out there. They might actually be better in the kitchen window- the SE corner on top o f the dog crate might work best.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #8983466

Carol - as I never purchase stuff online, I'll need to go see Garden Retreat. I'll check their website first, but sometimes places have different stuff online as opposed to their physical store.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 27, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #8983926

Betty, hope you are working from home tbis morning. Just spoke with Lornas folks, and, they say it's quite a mess!!
Lots of accidents due to the snow/rain.

Am going to try and venture out today, fingers crossed, won,t be alone.

tgif

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #8983976

~M~ - do take care while driving!!!
I think Betty's at home working this week?!?!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 27, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #8984010

Susan you would need to visit the store anyway - not so much on the website- they carry loads of good stuff. In summer they have plants.mainly veggie and annuals.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 27, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #8984134

Carol, I sit the corms out untill they sprout then use a big tray filled with peat or vermiculite lightly dampened. I push them in bulk into the tray and sit under lights that are about an inch from the corms, I keep the light very close as they start to grow and move it up slightly as needed. After they get a set of leaves I transplant into a pot each and move the corm to under the soil , I bottom water so as not get the top dish of the corm wet and grow on in a cooler location with the lights and a fan. I have found that once they are going cooler is better and the lights close to foliage ensures the leggyness is minimized.

Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #8984153

Morning, almost afternoon isn't it..yes working from home today..starting the 3rd I will be home. Til 14th as everyone will be in Jamaica..omg they just got back!! But I'll so enjoy just relaxing / taking calls and having girls over.

Yes "M" bad weather, clearing a tad here but just a bit south roads are horrific. I'm hoping by early morning(5am) it will have passed us on and I can spend the day in Buffalo..Joann's fabrics and Debbie from Dg are calling me. Lol

You are all so knowledgeable and committed to your plants/gardens..gee whiz, I throw something into the ground, kind of hap hazardly and if it lives it lives..ive tried many times to start from seed, not cheap either when the get leggy and die before p,acting time..envy you all
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 27, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #8984162

Ann thanks I will keep that this year! When do you start them? I have not bought any yet.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 27, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #8984303

Carol
I have 3 viable corms I have saved over winter. Let the frost get them a little bit and then dried out the soil, broke most of the soil off and put them in a bucket under the sink(next to the wall) in my basement. I checked on them and noticed a small bit of growth so brought them out and set them on damp vermiculite. If I see any mold I spray with regular Lysol. I will take a photo of them and you can see how big they are. I believe it's their 4th summer with me, coming up.
I have lost a few and will be adding some this year and they are on order with Botanus.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #8985450

Wasn't driving yesterday, good thing. Went into the dry cleaners to plck up some cleaning, ended up having to have a chair brought out as i was going into faint mode!!

Home i came and back to bed :(
Today ..so so.

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #8985486

Carol - thanks, will need to visit there. I like the "hands-on" approach to buying anyway. No waiting for the mails lol
Yesterday someone at work said "You're missing out on a lot by not buying stuff online". Maybe... but the only financial transactions I do online are banking, and paying bills. I also don't have to pay shipping, or wait for the product which may not be as it's picture portrays. I do get from Air Miles, however they always send same or better if they run out.
also, not as much impulse buying... what's out of my pocket is gone, and I'm not using a credit card! I'm just not a "fan" of credit cards...

btw - I'm growing an amarylis - and it's leaning. any suggestions on either propping it up, or repotting it? I'm afraid the shock of repotting will disturb it and kill the blooms, but I have another bud growing and don't want to do that.
This is what it looks like now. It's in the original pot.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #8985773

Just put a support stick in the pot and tie it up with a ribbon!

I like to grow mine in very tall clear vases and the sides support the flowers.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #8985804

Susan ...beauty flower!!
My Mom always 'propped' hers ..used knitting needles once as i recall. Guess you just have to be delicate about it.

Back to reading my book

M

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 28, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #8985876

Just back from buffalo..left 6:30 this mornimg and just got home...hey you gals, couldn't you wait to send me the Alberta Clipper my way along with hight winds..yikes was horrendous..talk about smiling and praying when I pulled into the yard!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #8986091

awwwwww Betty - our Calgary Chinooks bring warm weather!! Dunno about the Alberta Clipper - maybe that's the Northern version of the chinook?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #8986092

ooooh just checked Wikipedia - a Clipper brings the COLD weather... I prefer chinooks!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #8986135

And both bring winds!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 29, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #8986271

Morning all..

Beautiful out there, clipper moves quickly, sure wish I had known it was travelling my way before leaving for Buffalo but it all ended well!

Just don't be sending one my way again! Lol

So what will you all be doing this beautiful Sunday??

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #8986706

Hi folks,

We played a really special piece of music this morning for organ, piano, handbells and choir. If we'd had space and finances, we could also have added a brass quartet, but we didn't. 53rd anniversary Sunday of Emmanuel United Church in Ottawa and the piece is a version of A Mighty Fortress. I got to conduct it all. The entire service was based around testimonies from the music groups in the church and looked back on some of the earlier incarnations as well as the latest ones. The junior choir sang and we brought it all together with the postlude on this piece.

If you'd like to listen, the service is on line at:
http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/

Go to #5 of the slide show on the home page and click. You can download an mp3 file. It was a long service, but fast forward to 1:24 if you don't want to listen to all of it.

VERY enthusiastic response from the congregation and we were all so thrilled at how it came together that we almost wonder "What next".

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 30, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #8987910

Carol - yes, and STRONG winds!! Here I thought that Winnipeg was a windy city! Calgary beats Winnipeg "all hollow"!! LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 30, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #8988049

Tried to access the link ViAnn, but either this tablet won,t allow it,or, I did something incorrectly once the link opened. Once I get back on my laptop I'll try again, would love to hear the service.

You Westerners may haveBIG wind, but mt backyard is just chuck full of BIRDS !!!! All kinds,butmainly purple finches, redpolls, grossbeaks , chickadees and nuthatches ... the ground under the feeders is alive with activity, then, all of a sudden .. POOF .. off they fly only to come back in a second or two :)
AsI am STILL in bed, it'snice to watch them.
I did find enough energy to bake a pie, and have theingredients for beef stroganoff ready to go, so, maybe a better
day. Face is still uncomfortable, and bp is way too low.

Nap time

M

cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #8988167

I'm just cold, but it's a good time to curl up with all the books I made notes to read during the rest of the year.

And seed catalogues. Woo-hoo!

Going to start my tomatoes a little earlier this year I think and see if I can get some besides the cherry and grape tomatoes to eat before the end of August.

Oh, and someone talking about good deeds (Carol your lap blanket is lovely) I saw a video a couple days ago, started out with a camera at a McDonalds where a cop was buying lunch. A little black boy (this was in a US city) came up and asked the cop if he could have 10 cents, as he was short that much. the cop asked him what he wanted and bought it for him. Talked to the child about what he wanted to do when he grew up, how he had to work hard and practice. then he took his own lunch out to the cruiser, threw it in the back seat, drove a half a block and was killed by shotgun fire. Story brought tears to my eyes, and would love to find out more about it if anyone runs across it and finds out who shot the cop and why, or was he just in the wrong place/wrong time. they interviewed the little boy and he was quite affected knowing that the act of kindness to him was this cop's last action in life.

ttyl,
~marilyn

Thumbnail by cybercrone

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 30, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #8988354

VIOLAANN Lovely, the link worked for me and I enjoyed the solo at the beginning too! thanks for sharing you are a very talented lady.

"M" you need to get your BP back to a normal rate or you may have other trouble. I love watching the birdies at my feeder too and it's been so warm lately that they all chirp away by my window and it seems to me that it's happy little noises.

Cybercrone, I too have been going through all the seed catalouges and have chosen a few things but I over did it with an order for Botanus so I need to take it easy or I will run out of room.
What a story! So sad and yet so heartwarming all at the same time, I would have liked to meet this guy.

Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 30, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #8988522

Evening all, streamers off Georgian Bay still in my area,,can't see one minute, the next clear as can be. Now home, in my Jammie's being lazy..

ViolaAnn, hmm went on the site,msaw photo on left but couldn't find where to watch..will continue to search

"M" sorry to hear you are still under the weather..low blood pressure is not good! Have been seeing birds in great numbers as well in the fields, guess they are as confused about the weather as we are.

marilyn, the story was touching! Bet the conversation will have an everlasting effect on the young man..sad!

Need to go to GardenGallery just to walk and see their spring set up..we sure are getting the 'garden' bug again

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 30, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #8988642

Here you go...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026854/Pictured-Jeremy-Henwood-buys-child-McDonalds-meal-shot-dead.html

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #8989036

For any who had difficulty with the music link, there's now a direct link on the handbell page to a shorter clip with only the music - http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/worship_renewal/bells.php

Go to:
January 29, 2012, performance of "A Mighty Fortress" for organ (Faye), piano (Theresa), handbells and choir.

However it's still an mp3 file and you need something like iTunes to read it.

Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 31, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #8989496

Thanks Ann .. will try the link in a bit.

Just back from the oral surgeon .. had to call this morning .. Diagnosis .. dry socket along with an infection :(
Am required to irrigate the area with some vile tasting fluid, and, antibiotics for a week. Fingers crossed it all works!!!

Mild temps, and, sloppy roads are the order of the day here.

Take care

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #8989599

ewwww Marilyn. That would be very irritating - dry socket!
What's the name of the vile-tasting fluid? (Enquiring minds want to know!)
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #8989754

Marilyne You have my sympathy...a dry socket...horrible!!I'm recovering from pneumonia.I'd rather have pneumonia than a dry socket...also have a case of winter blues.I hate to admit it after reading of all the activities of you girls.I do have a bright spot ..my Christmas Amaryllis "Exotic Peacock".It lives up to its'name

Thumbnail by agedgardener

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #8990031

wow - that's Beautiful. Mine is all red, no white.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 31, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #8990122

Susan .. the stuff is called ' Oro Clens '
Seems to be working ... painful deal though.

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #8990279

Oh, I have that stuff. Maybe it's just awful to you because of the dry socket? It's got Chlorhexidine Gluconate in it, so I'm guessing that's chlorine - no wonder it's painful!!! Oh yeah, and alcohol!!!!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 1, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #8990739

Joy, Beautiful flower!
"M" hope you are on the mend now!
alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 1, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #8990751

Busy at work, back in a bit but boy do I love that Amaryllis!

Hope all who aren't well are feeling better today...

you'd think it's spring here

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 1, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #8990992

:) Happy to say I am on the mend!! Antibiotics have kicked in, and I have rejoined the land of the living!!!
Taking it slow though.

Cheers

M
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #8991096

I'm feeling better today too.I made Blue Berry Bran muffins and cleaned up my big Kitchen.Also cooked supper for me myself and I.I go for an Xray on feb6.Tomorrow I go to the plastic surgeon.He took a cancer off the side of my face.I went in last week and he removed the stitches but told me to come back this week for the report from the pathologist.I think a phone call would have been sufficient but then he wouldn't have been paid for an office call.No wonder the health system is having financial problems.

Thumbnail by agedgardener

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 1, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #8991446

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for "feeling-better-type- people"!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 2, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #8991697

Morning, clear day out there , oooh isn't it groundhog day?? He will have bit of trouble saying early spring when we have not had winter yet

Now look at you cooking for so many people, ambitious..one thing about cooking for "me, myself and I" is you can't go wrong! Lol
I'm with you, there should be a lessor billing amount for them to give results over telephone..perhaps he wants a better look at his work..sure hooe you've a good report.

"M" here is hoping you keep well, been a long time coming

Waving to all..
Got to run, gab later

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #8991996

Wiarton Willie, Billie Balzac, and Manitoba Merv all say "Early Spring", NOT 6 more weeks of winter!!
The Weatherman said "because they haven't had winter in the Great Lakes area - will they even notice?" LOL
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #8992020

Had my last chemo of 3rd cycle yesterday. 3 more cycles to go assuming no changes. Just heading out to have a CT scan to see how things are going but probably wont know results until next visit with oncologist on 14th.
Started going to aquasize last week - I can really tell I have not exercised much - am quite tired and stiff that evening and next day.

Nanny of a couple of neighbors children brought them over yesterday to deliver something to me. The older girl was at the door, the nanny and younger were down on the lawn - she read my note about not visiting if you have a cold!
So I answered the door and Mia stood there with something in her hands and never spoke to me just nodded her head yes or n to questions. . She had a get well card and a big container of hamburger soup and then she pulled a little stone out of her pocket for me! And off they went. The dogs stood behind the gate barking their heads off. Mia is very allergic so she cant go near them. After I shut the door I realized why she was so speechless( normally you cant shut her up). Of course I was bald ( don't wear a hat in the house) and didn't have my teeth in. Wonder what she told her mom!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 2, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #8992024

just spit up my coughing at your description lol
I'm sure by their kindness they are aware of chemo process
Hope great reports come back for you..

Soup sounds yummy!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #8992103

Awwwwww ... keep little Mia's stone close Carol, am thinking it's a gift given from the heart . .. nothing better than that.
As for your appearance, like Betty, I had a chuckle too .. how many of us have answered the door looking, shall we say, LESS than dressed to impress LoL, I have a meter reader story I could share but am not up to writing lots today.

Still draggin my butt here .. feel good for a couple of hours, then, BLAH !! AND, I haven't said much to y'all, but, I am still grousing with the right hip :-(
My best friend Jo, has me wearing something called an 'ACTI PATCH' http://www.actipatch.ca/
The one I wear is cinched around my middle and the 'magnetic field' sits over my trochanter (hip ball and socket joint area) .. she says hers has been a godsend to her and her unrelenting back pain and shoulder pain, and, honestly, I am in awe of the way she moves SO easily these days !
Any port in a storm I guess ^_^

As for the dental issue .. PERFECTO :-)

Sun is shining and I do think I am going to do a brief driveway walk .. long driveway .. Lorna is wanting fresh air as well ..

Take care all

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #8992157

Carol, thanks for the chuckle I too would have lost my coffee with that description. I think she has given you a worry stone, very sweet. Aquasize is a super way to get exercise and get in shape for gardening. Was thinking that would be a good thing to do however I am much better at procrastination so most likely won't start till the spring and then the garening will take over my life for a bit.
Decided yesterday that my Weeping Tolofsons juniper needed so protection so sprayed it with that stuff , wilt proof. The weather is so wacky that I'm worried about winter kill with it. Sounds funny but I do miss the snow.

Sounds like the rest of you are on the mend or at least getting around. It's very nice here for Feb so if the "comes in like a lamb" thing is true we are in for some trouble at the end of Feb.
Bye for now
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 2, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #8992175

Went out for chinese, boss's treat, had the chills, bit of a sore throad, mini heater on..sure hope I'm not catching something..

"M" you can't say you haven't tried everything to rid yourself of aches/pains..lordy girl things just got to get better.

Ohhh AlbertaAnn, forgot about that old addage, was just like a spring day yesterday which means we're in for a storm at the end of the month..leap year isn't it..maybe it will miss us all.

Normally I don't work on Fridays but boss (BIL) gave me a few things to do seeing they are all off to jamaica Sunday and I'll be working from home until the 14th so couldn't very well say I want Friday off right? lol

Put this on another thread Susan, while out for lunch Jeff (my youngest) called, checked e-mails and he e-mailed the following:

Just wanted to let you know I sent back that USB key to Susan in Calgary today (just got the USB on Tuesday from Paul)

Will go out in the mail from the office today and would expect her to get over the next few days or early next week. Has full instructions and 2700+ books.

X0X0

Off to a meeting at 1:30, will call later when I get a chance.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #8992272

Well Mia's parents would be aware-they saw me at a Xmas party with my wig on but I don't know if the kids would have known - Mia is about 5 1/2 years old, Emma is just 3 so even if she was told it must have been a bit of a shock. I am going to call her Mom this evening to thank her and ask!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #8992287

LOL Carol - good thing I hadn't had my coffee - I was just about to take a sip when I read your post LOL
What a sweet gesture on their part - and thoughtful of them to not be near you when one has a cold!
Enjoy the soup!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 4, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #8994385

Well yesterday I finally did something I have planned since before Xmas- went clothes shopping! Good thing I waited too because much better sales. I like to shop at Laura - started in their plus size section years ago, now in regular and occasionally petit - and there is a shop near me with all 3 sections. I usually just roam around and find a couple of things I like then I chat with the sales lady and let her bring me things she thinks will work. Makes clothes shopping a bit more bearable. Anyway I ended up with 2 pair of pants- something to wear instead of jeans and 2 blouses and 2 sweater tops. Seem to have a lot of blue.There was a nice blue cardigan with that blue/brown print blouse but I did not like the fit. The striped top has some subtle purple and so does one of the pants so looks good together The pants are being shortened. Incredible how sizes vary. The plain blue blouse is a 14 - I tried on a slightly different style/color and we went up to XXL and it was still too small! Some of the sweaters are much longer than I really like but that seems to be the style this year!

My nose is still a bit stuffy and drippy and this morning my throat is a bit sore. Hope this is not developing into a full blown cold - this is my 'week off' !

Dog groomer coming this morning to do Bailey and Abby - she sets up in my back porch. Need to get her to trim Sassy's nails too.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 4, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #8994607

Love the brighter of the blues..nothing like getting new clothes to make you feel better!

Wonderful that you have someone coming in to do the dogs..maybe this week I'll take Sailor for her nails..she gets hers done far more often than I do! Maybe if you baby the coal with meds and rest you will beat it before its full blown.

Seems I get just enough of sneezing etc not to be bedridden but just enough to make me miserable!

Gee whizz was going to have a quiet day at home,

Called Cathy and went to town..picked a granite countertop and zinc for my washroom,
Got back into town and out to Anglican Church for soup and hot rolls..home but 10 minutes and Ann dropped in, tea and butter tarts. Lol. Then off to another church for Valentines day tea (which included games)

Was to go with Ann to town but I was later than expected and she wasn't home when I went to pick her up sooo home I am till about 5 then off to the legion for fish fry..winterfest in town..by the time 7 comes am sure I'll be ready for bed.. It's late March weather here, barely any snow..mild..snowmobile went in the lake last night..even ice fishing being considered iffy..keeps this up and I'll be gardening in April..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 4, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #8994691

Lovely purchases Carol, like all the tops .. enjoy wearing them :)

Minimally busy day herre. Thanks to hydro it seems my weekends are filled with laundry!!!

Bright and sunny day, many warnings re going out on local lakes to ice fish ..

Still not 100%. I,d say about 70%

TTFN

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 5, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #8995891

Lovely collection of clothes, Carol! The sizes would depend on which country made 'em, of course.
Not a lot of countries understand the "Canada Standard Size" concept... YOU? an XXL? LOL Don't make me laugh!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 6, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #8996334

Morning all, feels great working from home today

Bit on the windy side, no snow, actually looking out the window here I see more grass than snow..imagine being concerned o snow when normally fed up by now..know we'll pay for it in another season!

Don't,imagine the telephones will be too busy today but I've been wrong before...

Playing with stained glass and just mellowing out..

Girls come tomorrow for a belated Christmas luncheon and painting day..that will keep me out of mischief.

How about you all, anything special going on?? Other than of course those of you who are ailing and should be resting!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 6, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #8996684

Carol
You look great in Blue so I bet that purple will complement your eyes as well. Yes it's a good time to shop for clothes. Tons of sales out there , if you like to shop. From that perspective we are in the same boat as I really dislike shopping too.

Another nice day here and now I'm really worried about the non blanketed plants as I think they will be really struggleing and then they won't have any moisture at all for the summer.
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 6, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #8996773

A skiff of snow this morning but most of it disappearing.,

Have not had any snow on the flower beds for weeks, even a lot of the leaf cover has blown off. Not sure what is going to happen!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 6, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #8996806

Hate to think how may plants/shrubs will not survive the winter..imagine,mthe prosper under snow and -40 but so not fare well in this weather.

Been playing all day with a SG window done in random pattern with globs and leftover glass, thought as there is no matching I'd be done the insert..nope, takes longer than one would think..could be that I got busy with the telephones..Pity I have to answer them lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 7, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #8997645

Good morning ..

Back to the frigid temps here .. knew it wouldn't last, but, it was nice while it did.

Teeth situation is way under control, hip situation is EXTREMELY slow in resloving itself. See the doc tomorrow and am requesting physio therapy for a bit .

Off to find an ice pack .. then onward HO to Toyota to have an oil change

TTFN

~M~

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 7, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #8997822

I stepped out to get the paper off the step this morning and glanced around - still dark - and spotted this fellow sitting on one of the rocks in the flower bed. He did not move and I went back in and got the camera and got this shot - he took off right after the camera flashed. Not uncommon to see them around ,, especially noticeable in the dark.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2012 8:39 AM

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 7, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #8997840

awwwwwwwwww fuzzy bunny! We see those all the time at our church - lots of grassed areas, so they look for tender shoots to eat...
When we leave the church and it's pitch dark, it's not unusual to see 2-3 of them trying to figure out which way my car is going and playing "Dodge the headlights" with us. I always drive very slowly, but there are 2 turns, so they get confused. It's funny (only because we Don't hit any...)
Carol - I guess you get a lot of the fuzzy bunnies? They're staying white...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 7, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #8997846

Yes lots around here - they are always white.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 7, 2012

Post #8997848

always? I thought they got brown ears, etc...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 7, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #8997905

Well they are usually moving pretty fast when I seem them but my impression is these particular ones rare always white

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 7, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #8998099

Ours, by the church, are not skittish - they sit inside the chain-link fence and look out at everyone. No one bothers them there. It's only when they're at the side of the building, by the lane, that they go zipping around lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 7, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #8998198

You have WABBITS, and I have MICE!!! And I am attaching a pic of what the mechanic brought out to show me what he found when he was changing my oil. today !!
Seems we have some busy wee beasties in our garage who are hiding their winter STASH in my heater fan motor, and a few other places as well !!!
Thank heaven for extended warranties because the corn in the pic was only the 'tip of the iceberg' !!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 7, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #8998204

Omg "m" what damage those little suckers can do! Yikes, lucky you caught it before more damage was done.. I know I have a mouse and the 2 kitties know I have a mouse but neither seem to hunt it.

Girls were talking this morning that a baby bear was found all huddled and frozen on the ice...guess Midland OSPCA took it, fed it, doctored it and made a place for it to hibernate..guess poor darling thought it was spring.

Started yesterday with super duper headache..today all the girls came over for painting/sewing and pizza..I was so freezing, can't get warm..imagine I'm coming down with something!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 7, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #8998253

I usually have mice in the house in the winter but it has been so mild this year no sign of them. I do put mice poison out in the back of the shed ( a couple of times I have mistakenly left containers of grass seed on the shelves - what a mess!) but can never get in there to check until spring as it is full of stored summer stuff.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 7, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #8998262

omgoodness, Marilyn!! Those little "suckers" can chew through cables and such, too!

Carol - I'm so glad we haven't had mice since we moved to Calgary... had a Horrible winter with them in 2005, in Winnipeg though. They used to run all over the house, and loved to climb up the back of our fridge and in our cubbyhole under the stairs by our kitchen ewwwwwwwwwww!!!! filthy little &^%$$))!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #8998476

Oh my, Marilynne. Amazing what those little beasts have done.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 10, 2012

Post #9001469

Have concluded that it was both mice AND chipmunks .. sprayed the engine with
diluted peppermint oil yesterday .. we'll see if that works.

Not so nice news at my docs yesterday :(
He 'welcomed me' to the 'Busted nurses club' !! Seems I am looking at a hip replacement (down the road) and, my back is pretty much affected by osteoarthritis as well.
I will try physio first though.

A balmy -35C here this morning!!
Lilly's 5th birthday :)

TTFN

M

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 10, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9001501

Morning all, temps have dropped here as well, calling for snow and blowing sometimes tonight and through the weekend..didn't pay a whole lot of attention seeing they haven't been accurate all winter!

Ok gals, which of you sent me the head cold..drats, sniveling and headache not good..today I'll play with my stained glass piece, nap a bit..glad am working from home! Lordy this week went quickly, sure wish they would have booked 2 weeks rather than one..getting to like being home.

"M". Sorry to hear the news wasn't better..think you were expecting much the same news were you not?

Happy birthday Lilly..oh my seems like yesterday you were picking her up

Susan, "d" day, hope good news is in the offing!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 10, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9002253

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr -36c?????? YIKES!!
so, I now know a "busted nurse" - well, at least it wasn't a cop that "busted" you LOL

Well, last day at Alstom, and left on Very Good terms. One of the new guys gave me a lead on a job, and that company is very interested - I just sent them my resume & cover letter for an Executive Ass't position.
AND more good news - Bob sent his resume to a co last night, and they called him in for an interview Mon @ 10am! They like that he's forklift certified!
It's an employment "boom" in Calgary right now...
Keep us in your T&P, please

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 11, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9002539

Morning all, coffee and fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookies..hope the taste as good as they smell, have a few...

Susan, sure hooe both the lead and the interview pan out..doubtful I could work on at a temp service, going from place to place for several months, meeting people then moving on!

About 2" of light snow fell yesterday, lordy was shovellingmand it was like feathers.

All my housework is done for the day, dusting, floors washed and now play time until 10 when I of to the community center for a craft show..want some homemade soap that my Dil's girlfriend makes and sells, a new scarf with bobbles then have to wait until noon when the stained glass studio opens..she made an error in bevels needed, need 8 more so I can finish the project I started on the weekend..that ought to take care of today..tomorrow it will be sew/sew /sew..trying to finish a lot of unfinished projects before my returning to work Tuesday...

Hoping to work from home Friday seeing its a long weekend..family day on Monday..few short weeks then already into March and we will be talking spring and gardening..bet some of you are already there??.

Was talking with Sharon my sister, she is off to NYC for Westminster Dog show..Inuk won 3 years running, she says it's highly unlikely she can get a 4th year..here is hoping..believe Inuk is competing at 10-10:30 monday morning..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 11, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9002750

Moved us over

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242119/

This message was edited Feb 11, 2012 11:25 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America