Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: California Native Monterey Pine is a Southern Hemisphere Gold Strike: A Fond Memory

Communities > Forums > Article: California Native Monterey Pine is a Southern Hemisphere Gold Strike
bookmark
Forum: Article: California Native Monterey Pine is a Southern Hemisphere Gold StrikeReplies: 5, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 4, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #8954049

I haven't been in California for many years now, but one of my fondest memories is driving along the coast on hwy 101 near Monterey, watching the cormorants fishing below the rocky cliffs and the windswept picturesque Monterey pines growing out of the rock crevices along the beach-cliffs.

One time driving to the coast from Camp Roberts we ran across a filming crew. They were shooting an episode of Rawhide and the scene was being shot ov er and over for some reason. There was Rowdy Yates [Clint Eastwood] and horse patiently doing the scene again and again. I guess Clint Eastwood and Monterey Pines will always go together in my best memories of California.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2012 3:10 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 5, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #8955258

That's quite a combination - Clint Eastwood and Monterey pines.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 5, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #8955430

If you think about it they are two of a kind.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/montereycarmel/a/clintcarmel.htm

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 5, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #8955575

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Carmel.
gollambug
Williamstown, South
Australia

January 9, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #8961017

Hi, I live in Williamstown South Australia, in the Adelaide Hills amongst vines and pines. If you Google Earth my town you will see large dark areas south of an E-W line, they are Pinus radiata plantations, many on their 3rd rotation. North of that line is the Barossa Valley so the paler green areas are vineyards.
South Australia was not well endowed with native trees suitable for timber (Red Gum just about the only one) so the SA government set about looking throughout the world for fast growing suitable timber trees. Up until a tree was found houses were of local stone or in the cities red clay brick. Monterey Pine, Canary Island Pine and Alleppo Pine seemed most suitable and over time Monterey Pine has become the timber of choice for most building frames and even outside after being pressure treated against termite and fungal attack. Unfortunately the other two make poor timber but being well adapted have become woody weeds in places.
Thankyou Kelli for filling me in about this valuable tree in its native habitat.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 9, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #8961036

Thank you, gollambug. It is interesting to hear someone coming from radiata pine country. The Google map view was interesting, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: California Native Monterey Pine is a Southern Hemisphere Gold Strike Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very interesting read, Kelli Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 5, 2012 8:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America