moving my inside wood burner to outside

Gentry, AR

greetings, newby here, i have purchased a large wood burner for heating my house. however, after looking at how to vent the stove, through the roof or through the wall is too expensive and permanent. out the window, though quick and easy, has its own set of hazards and expenses. so im wanting to build a small room outside and force the heat into my house. is this possible, practical with relative ease? im no strange to various building trades and planning is no problem. currently im thinking of building a cinder block building with metal roof joists and metal roof. (all non-flamable) then hooking a strong blower to the room to push the heat through duct work into my house at a central point. also im wanting to do this as a backup to power outages in the winter and because the gas company has whizzed me off. any imput would be great. thank you, twrh111

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Since you seem to have some masonry skills why don't you build a block chimney. They are relatively cheap.

Without insulation you'll go through a ton of wood and not really get that much heat in the house. You'll have to be careful with a strong blower that it doesn't interfere with the stoves draft. If you are going to try to do duct work then I'd build a metal shroud for it like a coal furnace had. Otherwise you can make it work. My neighbor has his stove on an enclosed front porch. One other thing if you do build an insulated cement block room for it remember flying sparks still can set fire to the rest of the house.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

More input here on your comment

Quoting:
then hooking a strong blower to the room to push the heat through duct work into my house at a central point. also im wanting to do this as a backup to power outages in the winter
made me wonder how the blower is going to work when the power is out. You would have virtually no heat in the house at that point.

Bent Mountain, VA

Look into an outdoor wood fired boiler. They will heat your hot water also. You can use your duct work or hot water base board. You can burn large pieces of wood so you don't have to split it as much. All the mess stays outside and there is no fire hazard. They run off a thermostadt so your house stays just right all the time and you add wood once or twice a day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.