Photo by Melody

Strawbale Gardening: Hypothesis/idea - Can you Help?

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #8955339

I've moved from a place with nicely worked soil to a place with a yard full of what looks like play sand. I'm thinking about doing a perimeter of straw bales with tomatoes and peppers in a square and planting inside the square those things that have in the past suffered during the miserable summers we have here in OK. I'm hoping that the taller plants on the bales will A.) shade the interior plants and B.) act as a barrier to deer. I suppose I could add fencing as well, and perhaps a gate to my little square garden haven. I've never straw baled before, but it fascinates me (because I hate stooping and I hate weeds). Tomatoes and peppers are my main loves, but I do grow okra, greens, root veggies, squash, etc. as well. I was also thinking I could have someone dump a truckload of compost and I could build the square around it so I could have decent interior soil to deal with. I just need some advice - the idea of not gardening this year is giving me an ulcer.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #8955345

Just make sure go back and read the threads on how to prep the bales if needed. I'd say it sounds like a good plan. Good luck and keep us posted.

Doug
lonejack
Longview, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #8973095

Hi mevnmart,
I have heard of people making a square of the bales and filling the space with manure. As you water, the manure decomposes into the bales and gives great food for the plants. On the other hand, I have noticed that after the initial cooking period, you don't really need to feed a lot with the bales. I guess you do need to add some fert at fruiting time.
Paul.
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #8973261

I've been doing some reading and my main concern now is watering. I understand that bales require more water than an average dirt garden, and since we've had two summers of drought, I'm not sure it's going to be a water-effective method. :(

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #8973886

Actually my experience with them has been just the opposite. For me they seem to need less or equal water than soil. I've checked several times in the heat of summer by running my hand down inside the bales and they were always moist and slimy.

Doug
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #8986434

I set drip hoses on top of my bales, and they seem to need less than I'd anticipated. We had a couple of years of drought, and I didn't seem use much water with the bale system. The plants in ground fared much worse than the dripped bales.

My first year, I planted the center of a bale square with potatoes. Stripped the grass out, amended the soil a bit, and laid the potato sections on top. Then covered with the bales that had broken, and continued thru the summer to add more hay. Worked great. Then, I had to stop eating 'taters, and never tried using the center again.

p.s. the bales were planted with Squash, cucumbers, and green beans.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9028998

Late reply, because I haven't followed the straw bale gardening threads for 2-3 years now.

mevnmart, it's hard to think of shading interior plants by plants on the edges during the summer when the sun is 75 to the horizon during the hottest part of the day. You'd have to have extremely tall plants at the edges!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America