AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #8955590

Although, it isn't in the prime of a breeding season for birds in my area. I've watched the birds that come and go in the garden. Most notably is this sweet pair of White-breasted Nuthatches-- who had called this red nest box their home this past year. I've twice seen them "beak-touch" French kissing. The first time I saw this sweet interaction between the two. I though hmmmm, maybe they were just displaying courtship behavior. It's more than a french kiss kinda thing, lol. They were feeding one another. For the second time I saw them repeated the behavior after one was just newly returned to their nest box from the feeder (presumably) with a nut on its beak.

We came from here should you like to go back to the previous threads. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8951978

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #8955597

The Eastern Blue Birds too occassionally will return and check out this nearby nest box. Though, the Nuthatches are seen more often at theirs. BBs only come and go as they please during the winter. Here is the pair. I saw the male Blue Bird chased away another male earlier during the day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #8955955

Daddy Blue Bird decided to explore the inside ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #8955962

A befuddled look on the female BB as if to say "What took him so long in there?" lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #8955966

Oooops this was the intended pix in place of the last one.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #8964681

An exciting development, I've a Downy Woodpecker that explores the nest box!!! It's a first time ever for me. Although a frequent visitor(s) at the backyard's feeder. Woodpeckers were rarely seen near by nest boxes. Woohoooo!!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #8964889

Oh, congrats. that would be awesome!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #8964951

Not so fast, however. Soon after the woodpecker was seen at the nest box ...

Thanks Marna, I was so excited when I saw the little bird this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #8964960

... soon the Eastern Blue Bird mama came back to nest box as if to say "This is mine" "Get your own house!". lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #8965917

The temp. outdoor is quite chilly this morning. The birds are very active outdoor, however. Especially the Eastern Blues.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #8965924

I saw several BBs outdoor, some perhaps are checking out berries in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #8965930

Finches too, not sure which species this little one is.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #8965936

But here goes... once again, Momma Blue bird is checking the WBNHs' home. While another BB at the other nest box;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #8977137

Wow LL, that is really a fun shot with the two birds at the house at the same time! What are the chances! Glad to see so much house hunting activity there as I'm already anxious for spring.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #8977334

Yes, Mrs. Ed. I am too can't wait for spring. Believe it or not, Tulips-- some are already poking their noses through the ground. A few Forsythias are bloomimng down here too. I hope we're truly experiencing a 'warm winter' and not one that is postponed to a later time.

As far as judging when the bird's are ready to build their nest? I watch these birds' interaction to 'guestimate' when it's the right time. For example, Pekin and Mallard ducks will become teritorial and hostile to one another during nesting season as I've witnessed them in person last year. For the time being they're coexisting and hunting together just as well. Pic. was taken several days ago.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ginger749

January 26, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #8983624

Hi Kim,

Just wanted to share this feathered friends with you.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #8983811

Awww, Kell. That's a cute duckling. Thank you. Have you more pix of the same bird?
ginger749

January 27, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #8984300

This is a bit of a mixed bag.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #8984494

How neat is that? I love them ducks! The biggest grayish one, I've seen one locally, had no idea they perhaps originate from down under? Thanks Kell for sharing the pix.
ginger749

January 27, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #8984544

Lily_love wrote:The biggest grayish one, I've seen one locally, had no idea they perhaps originate from down under?

They big grey one is a Goose.
And the white one much like him is the Gander.

They are not originally from Auss.
I think they are British, or at least Europe.

They make a great 'TurDucken'. :-)

Thumbnail by ginger749

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #8985938

Thanks Kell for some of the pix. Back to the topic at hand; birds activity in the garden. This early morning when temp. drops that seemed to have prompted the Eastern Blur Birds to scout for nesting box.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #8986330

"Not so fast buddy!" came the White-Breasted Nuthatch defended its domain. lol I got a clip of the WBNH on video fluffing its wings and drove off the Eastern Blue. This is the first time I've ever witness such act.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #8996621

All through the months of winter, this year. The couple regularly frequent their own nest box ... some day, I'll see them bringing tree bark 'home'. Things are warming up! Hopefully I'll get to see the chicks this year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #8999112

The Blue Birds pair are back, here the male is standing guard while his mate is in side.
The Nuthatches too are seen bring tree barks back into theirs, they're actively building their nest.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9001578

Nuthatch is seen actively building her nest;

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9001810

Eastern Blue are seen at theirs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 11, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9003422

Nice, Kim. Winter really is on the way out for you, isn't it?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9003518

Margaret, it's hard to tell when winter is gone for good from our region. We've had weeks of nice mild weather, until today. It was too cold, I don't remember seeing many of my birds around.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9011086

Well folks, all through Jan. the Nuthatches obliviously roosted in their house. Feb. they begun to build their nest as evidence by bringing tree barks into their nest box. The Eastern Blue Birds come and go to the nest box next door. My chickadees and Wrens are not seen finding their own place. So, besides other nest boxes that I've put up else where. I just hung this one out hopefully to entice Carolina Wrens since they are likely to nest in any odds places.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 19, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9012327

That's a really lovely little birdhouse, Kim.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9012345

Thanks Burn. So far no takers yet. Please keep your fingers crossed with me for the house to attract some curious tenants soon.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9015029

Woohoooo!!! I've a prospect! Maybe two. Could you see the nesting material that I 'baited' the birds? Guess what has taken place? Just now I noticed the overhang material wasn't there. I thought the wind must have blown it away. But, not so. I took a closer look and all those straws were neatly tucked inside the nest box. Co-incidentally, I was also awaken by these pair singing not too far from where the nest box is early this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9015564

awwww, little wren babies!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9015662

Mrs_Ed wrote:awwww, little wren babies!!!

I sure do hope so Mrs. Ed. They (the Wrens) decided to sleep in really late this morning. One just now arrived at the feed station, looked at the seeds but appeared to be begging for suet (except the suet is empty). Hah, they've trained me well. Gotta head out there and refill the suet and give them some meallies. lol.

Oh I saw something this morning, a Blue Birds chased off a Dove who happens to be in the close proximity of the nest box. And Moma and Papa Blue couple were in a staring contest with an American Robin perching nearby. Several days ago, I saw moma Blue chased a squirrel. Yes, a squirrel of all things. lol When comes to defending their babies, there no greater moma than the birds species. Amazing!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9018003

Meet my new tenants of the lovely house-- above. I saw them feeding each other, that's such sweet thing to see. I also noticed House Finches travel in pair and male finch is bringing his mate food as well. And Cardinal males are chasing one another, spring is in the air!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9018063

Aw...those Wrens are so sweet. Hope they have lots of little babies!! Good luck on the others too...so far all looks good!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9018097

Thank you Rose, my Blue birds too are also very busy outdoor. Welcome to the thread. I bet your garden's activity is picking up as well?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9018146

That bird house is so danged cute and so is the new tenant! I haven't noticed any activity around our bird houses yet, but the blues have been very vocal recently. DH wants to put
more bird houses around the farm so we will see how it goes. He is also moving the Purple Martin gourds to an area recommended by a friend who has hosted them for years. Last year we had many Purple Martins but no one stayed to nest. Our friend assured him that the move would make the difference.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9018167

Please share your experience with Purple Martin nests. I've half a dozen gourd birdhouses awaiting to be put up. DH is planning putting the nests up this weekend, it's gonna be our 1st try with Martins.

At the meantime, I think I've "sealed the deal" as Reddirtretiree has said...my Blue birds have finally found the meallies that I've put out for them. And they actively defending their home. Yeah!!!

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9019007

Hey, soon you'll hear chitty chatters, from that neat little nest box of your. Congrat on the new tenants!!!
Spring has certainly sprung for you.

Rose, what did your friend recommend? Where did you have them up? Was it close to a building? I read somewhere, they like open area. I don't think I have that kind of setting, for them here, but was interested to put one up. I did see some in the yard a few years back, but I think it was the pond that interested them most. Looking forward to see the result of your new setup. And your too Kim.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9019235

LL, last year I had a house wren defending the nest by chasing the squirrels. It looked like a Willy Wagtail incident!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9019367

Thanks Burn, I'm excited about the 'housing project' and will keep the project posted as we come along. Temp. is kinda cool yet out there and I'm one not to keen on enjoying our Northern wind. Mrs. Ed. It has to be fun watching those little teeny wrens trying to take on the "big guys" lol Yes, Willy Wagtails incident is one good way of describing their behavior. lol

#1. There isn't much more activity that I could capture on camera on the new bird house that I put up for the Wrens, except to report more straw was added onto the entrance opening, and more straw were neatly tucked inside the nest box. :-)

#2. Last spring I had a couple of Ferrel ducks the Mallards nesting in my flower pot, this year. They perhaps, came back to survey the area. Pekin ducks will harrass the Mallard during nesting season, here they are getting along--still, perhaps because it isn't quite nesting time for them yet?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9019396

Papa Blue discovers new meallies feeder;

Moma Blue's checking out neighboring nest box;

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9020347

Looks like things are starting to pop at your place Lily...it's fun to watch your place this time of the year and know that spring is coming soon!

Lily and Burn...regaring the placement of our Purple Martin gourds: I originally had them set too close to an old barn. I had read the houses should be the same distance away from a structure as it is tall. In this case the barn is about 60 ft tall but the houses were only 30 feet from the building. We are moving the set up to another field farther away from the structures. The friend also said they will like the single electric wire that is fairly close. Here is a link that may be helpful for you http://purplemartin.org/forumarchives/archive/FAQ.htm . The scouts are due in our area in less than a week so I had better get busy and get everything set up. Good luck to all of us!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9020405

Rose, many thanks for the FAQ website on PMs. Wow, I've a lot to learn before I jump head first into the paramount- a project.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9020422

Here is the location we dry-run try out, DH and I, however, didn't proceed with the project yesterday for the wind was terrible. Everything happens for a purpose indeed. I need to do more study on the gourd bird houses placement.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9020463

Other nesting activity, when I was out in the garden putting out meallies for the Blues. Chickadees came by to explore the Blues' nest box. But the designated couple promptly returned and defended their home. As far as the meallies treat? Gues who found them first? LOL

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9021017

Carolina Chickadee explores BB's nest box.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9021565

Hey Kim, I wonder if now that the blues have found the mealies, you might want to move them farther away. I would think that it might stress the blues out to have other diners that close to their nestů Just a thought.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9021658

Ah, that's a good thought. Mrs. Ed. How come I didn't think of that? Thank you. I'll see about gradually move the feeder away from the nesting site, so that they can still see where "dinners" is being served. :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9023009

So I've moved the feeder a little further away from the BB's nest box. Things seem to work out just fine. Thanks Marna for the idea.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9023052

Spring is in the air! Although, I haven't yet seen the Blue Birds actively building their nest. But, the White-breasted Nuthatch pair are busy- bees building theirs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9023995

Boys, I let's me tell you. Even though the Blue Birds aren't actively building their nest yet. They have been seen doing the 'Willie Wagtail' things to the squirrels. Their attack come fast and furious which left me no time for photo op. lol What I saw was the couple joined effort. They both came to confront the squirrel together as a team.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9023999

I so hope they will nest here this year;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 28, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9024075

Lily_love wrote:Boys, I let's me tell you. Even though the Blue Birds aren't actively building their nest yet. They have been seen doing the 'Willie Wagtail' things to the squirrels. Their attack come fast and furious which left me no time for photo op. lol What I saw was the couple joined effort. They both came to confront the squirrel together as a team.

How funny. Birds are such courageous creatures.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 29, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9024385

Indeed they're courageous creatures. Margaret. Here is Moma Blue this morning awaiting for mealies. I also noticed White-breasted Nuthatch Papa bringing food and fed it to his mate? Or could that be the chicks inside? I didn't want to disturb the nest. So I'll be on the look out (from a distance) to find out what's actually taking place. If indeed it's Moma that was being fed. She must be sitting on eggs?

Other possible nesting in the garden. Carolina wrens continue to bring in more nesting material to the new nest box. Brown Thrashers are seen frequenting an evergreen shrub to the side yard. Eastern Towhees are often seen in the area. The garden is such a busy place this time of year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9025490

I think it's looking good for the bluebirds .

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9025578

Marna, things really look good for the couple bluebirds. Bright and shine this morning! They return and appear to be busy at the nest box site. It's time for me to get some mealies out there. :) Oh papa Blue already got some breakfast ready here. Look!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9025697

Leisurely enjoying their quality time at the homestead;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9025751

And finally I was able to catch the Carolina Chickadee at their 'Hot Peppers' house.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9025758

Everyone seems to be pretty "settled" on their very own home. As it's seen here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9025764

The Brown Thrasher is seen near by, they're too busy with their own nest within the Japanese Cleyera shrub. Here is one seen foraging below the neighboring birdhouses.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9027549

Just an update note;
1. The Nuthatches apparently are feeding each other, as I've seen House Finches and Chickadees doing this mating ritual.
2. The BBs are seen at their nest box frequently all through the day.
3. And, last but not least. I saw one of the Brown Thrashers with straw in its beak. Yeah!
4. More Eastern Towhees and Northern Flickers are seen in the vicinity.
5. Eastern Phoebes songs can be heard all through the day.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9029389

Our weekend's project; A row bird houses set up. I'll keep watch and trouble shoot as we go.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9031019

The last two days, these lovely pair whose names are going to be Alabama Ricky and Lucie were very busy going in and out of their hot peppers house .

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9031066

Wow Lily...so much activity at your place I would be in 7th heaven with excitement!! Can't wait to see all the little ones you are going to have.

Your gourds look great and the Purple Martins have hit the US so keep your eyes open!! They are wonderful singers especially first thing in the morning.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9031093

Rose, I'm glad you've enjoyed the set up. I've neighbors with various birdhouses for Martins in the area... so I'm excited that they might just find us here the 1st try. I've this question. Will Tree Swallows nest in gourd houses like Purple Martins do? I think we've both Tree Swallows and Barn Swallows here. Though, I know the Barn Swallows make nesting out out of mud and such.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9031196

From what I've read any cavity nester could potentially nest in a gourd including Starlings and House Sparrows. Your nesters will certainly have a wonderful view!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9031879

House sparrows loved my big gourd. And it was so soft of material that they were able to peck a bigger entrance hole. grrrrr.

I hope your Lucy and Ricky do better than my sterile pair!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9032357

Rose, and Mrs. Ed. Thanks for sharing your experience. Thus far, I haven't had much problem with Starlings, perhaps partially due to foot traffic, and pets that patrol the area? I didn't see House Sparrows very often but an occassional visit. The Nuthatches seemed to be quite cable of defending their home against Hosp. occassional visit of their nest box last year. This year, I've seen Mockingbird pestering the Blues now and then, but they're (BBs) found near by the house more frequent all through the day.

I'm delighted to announce that I'm harvesting the first crop of mealies. Well, they're small yet. Hopefully with this success, encouraging my BBs nesting in the garden won't eat through our pocket book. lol. Oh, just a little while ago, a Myrtle Warbler visited the Blues. Just a friendly visit without incidence/accidence. lol

Oh, Mrs. Ed, last year Ricky and Lucy apparently nested in that house. I wasn't paying close attention. For I've seen residual nesting materials left behind afterward. I may have to pull out the bird cam. and put it into good use this year.

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9032459

Evidently the Blues know that the warbler is no threat. It looks like they have claimed that box...lucky you and us!! Still no nesting activity around our nestbox but I am hopeful.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9033088

Good gracious! Rose apparently so. The lovely Warbler was no threat. But this is a menacing problem to come... Well at least the one directly on the Gourd, and not the other one on the Willows. Tisk tisk tisk!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9039172

Well, after more reading on the subject of hosting Martins. Both BBs and Starlings will surely ruins the chances of hosting for Martins. I was thinking to myself, perhaps. I'd be better a hostess, if I just plug those gourds' entrances and kept that as a display bird houses. I'm trying to do the right things here. By far, a Mockingbird has visited, then the lone Starling. No one has shown real interest in the vacant houses just yet.

This morning, I saw many a "swallows" flying around our area. I think those are swallows, but can't be sure.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9039201

Although, spring hasn't officially arrived. But by the look in the garden. I feel that it's. So I opened a new thread on the many activity of birds building their nest in the garden. I wished you will join in and share your photos from your homes to ours. We moved here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246446/

Thumbnail by Lily_love

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America