Birds Nesting & Activities in the Garden, vol. 6

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Although, it isn't in the prime of a breeding season for birds in my area. I've watched the birds that come and go in the garden. Most notably is this sweet pair of White-breasted Nuthatches-- who had called this red nest box their home this past year. I've twice seen them "beak-touch" French kissing. The first time I saw this sweet interaction between the two. I though hmmmm, maybe they were just displaying courtship behavior. It's more than a french kiss kinda thing, lol. They were feeding one another. For the second time I saw them repeated the behavior after one was just newly returned to their nest box from the feeder (presumably) with a nut on its beak.

We came from here should you like to go back to the previous threads. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8951978

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Eastern Blue Birds too occassionally will return and check out this nearby nest box. Though, the Nuthatches are seen more often at theirs. BBs only come and go as they please during the winter. Here is the pair. I saw the male Blue Bird chased away another male earlier during the day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Daddy Blue Bird decided to explore the inside ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A befuddled look on the female BB as if to say "What took him so long in there?" lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oooops this was the intended pix in place of the last one.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

An exciting development, I've a Downy Woodpecker that explores the nest box!!! It's a first time ever for me. Although a frequent visitor(s) at the backyard's feeder. Woodpeckers were rarely seen near by nest boxes. Woohoooo!!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, congrats. that would be awesome!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Not so fast, however. Soon after the woodpecker was seen at the nest box ....

Thanks Marna, I was so excited when I saw the little bird this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

... soon the Eastern Blue Bird mama came back to nest box as if to say "This is mine" "Get your own house!". lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The temp. outdoor is quite chilly this morning. The birds are very active outdoor, however. Especially the Eastern Blues.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I saw several BBs outdoor, some perhaps are checking out berries in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Finches too, not sure which species this little one is.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

But here goes... once again, Momma Blue bird is checking the WBNHs' home. While another BB at the other nest box;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Wow LL, that is really a fun shot with the two birds at the house at the same time! What are the chances! Glad to see so much house hunting activity there as I'm already anxious for spring.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, Mrs. Ed. I am too can't wait for spring. Believe it or not, Tulips-- some are already poking their noses through the ground. A few Forsythias are bloomimng down here too. I hope we're truly experiencing a 'warm winter' and not one that is postponed to a later time.

As far as judging when the bird's are ready to build their nest? I watch these birds' interaction to 'guestimate' when it's the right time. For example, Pekin and Mallard ducks will become teritorial and hostile to one another during nesting season as I've witnessed them in person last year. For the time being they're coexisting and hunting together just as well. Pic. was taken several days ago.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Hi Kim,

Just wanted to share this feathered friends with you.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, Kell. That's a cute duckling. Thank you. Have you more pix of the same bird?

This is a bit of a mixed bag.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How neat is that? I love them ducks! The biggest grayish one, I've seen one locally, had no idea they perhaps originate from down under? Thanks Kell for sharing the pix.

Quote from Lily_love :
The biggest grayish one, I've seen one locally, had no idea they perhaps originate from down under?

They big grey one is a Goose.
And the white one much like him is the Gander.

They are not originally from Auss.
I think they are British, or at least Europe.

They make a great 'TurDucken'. ^_^

Thumbnail by ginger749
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kell for some of the pix. Back to the topic at hand; birds activity in the garden. This early morning when temp. drops that seemed to have prompted the Eastern Blur Birds to scout for nesting box.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

"Not so fast buddy!" came the White-Breasted Nuthatch defended its domain. lol I got a clip of the WBNH on video fluffing its wings and drove off the Eastern Blue. This is the first time I've ever witness such act.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

All through the months of winter, this year. The couple regularly frequent their own nest box .... some day, I'll see them bringing tree bark 'home'. Things are warming up! Hopefully I'll get to see the chicks this year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Blue Birds pair are back, here the male is standing guard while his mate is in side.
The Nuthatches too are seen bring tree barks back into theirs, they're actively building their nest.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nuthatch is seen actively building her nest;

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Eastern Blue are seen at theirs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
PERTH, Australia

Nice, Kim. Winter really is on the way out for you, isn't it?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Margaret, it's hard to tell when winter is gone for good from our region. We've had weeks of nice mild weather, until today. It was too cold, I don't remember seeing many of my birds around.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Well folks, all through Jan. the Nuthatches obliviously roosted in their house. Feb. they begun to build their nest as evidence by bringing tree barks into their nest box. The Eastern Blue Birds come and go to the nest box next door. My chickadees and Wrens are not seen finding their own place. So, besides other nest boxes that I've put up else where. I just hung this one out hopefully to entice Carolina Wrens since they are likely to nest in any odds places.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

That's a really lovely little birdhouse, Kim.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Burn. So far no takers yet. Please keep your fingers crossed with me for the house to attract some curious tenants soon.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Woohoooo!!! I've a prospect! Maybe two. Could you see the nesting material that I 'baited' the birds? Guess what has taken place? Just now I noticed the overhang material wasn't there. I thought the wind must have blown it away. But, not so. I took a closer look and all those straws were neatly tucked inside the nest box. Co-incidentally, I was also awaken by these pair singing not too far from where the nest box is early this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

awwww, little wren babies!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from Mrs_Ed :
awwww, little wren babies!!!

I sure do hope so Mrs. Ed. They (the Wrens) decided to sleep in really late this morning. One just now arrived at the feed station, looked at the seeds but appeared to be begging for suet (except the suet is empty). Hah, they've trained me well. Gotta head out there and refill the suet and give them some meallies. lol.

Oh I saw something this morning, a Blue Birds chased off a Dove who happens to be in the close proximity of the nest box. And Moma and Papa Blue couple were in a staring contest with an American Robin perching nearby. Several days ago, I saw moma Blue chased a squirrel. Yes, a squirrel of all things. lol When comes to defending their babies, there no greater moma than the birds species. Amazing!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Meet my new tenants of the lovely house-- above. I saw them feeding each other, that's such sweet thing to see. I also noticed House Finches travel in pair and male finch is bringing his mate food as well. And Cardinal males are chasing one another, spring is in the air!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Aw...those Wrens are so sweet. Hope they have lots of little babies!! Good luck on the others too...so far all looks good!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Rose, my Blue birds too are also very busy outdoor. Welcome to the thread. I bet your garden's activity is picking up as well?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

That bird house is so danged cute and so is the new tenant! I haven't noticed any activity around our bird houses yet, but the blues have been very vocal recently. DH wants to put
more bird houses around the farm so we will see how it goes. He is also moving the Purple Martin gourds to an area recommended by a friend who has hosted them for years. Last year we had many Purple Martins but no one stayed to nest. Our friend assured him that the move would make the difference.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Please share your experience with Purple Martin nests. I've half a dozen gourd birdhouses awaiting to be put up. DH is planning putting the nests up this weekend, it's gonna be our 1st try with Martins.

At the meantime, I think I've "sealed the deal" as Reddirtretiree has said...my Blue birds have finally found the meallies that I've put out for them. And they actively defending their home. Yeah!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Hey, soon you'll hear chitty chatters, from that neat little nest box of your. Congrat on the new tenants!!!
Spring has certainly sprung for you.

Rose, what did your friend recommend? Where did you have them up? Was it close to a building? I read somewhere, they like open area. I don't think I have that kind of setting, for them here, but was interested to put one up. I did see some in the yard a few years back, but I think it was the pond that interested them most. Looking forward to see the result of your new setup. And your too Kim.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.