Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale: Edibles vs. Ornamentals

Communities > Forums > Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale
bookmark
Forum: Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible KaleReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

January 5, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #8956171

I've not yet read all of the threads, but perhaps one subject needs consideration when deciding to eat or not eat a plant. What products have been used on the plants by the grower...to feed and to handle insects.
We have commercial greenhouses which supply garden centers, landscapers and organizations.
All of our sweet potato vines are sold as ornamentals but in reality all the tubers/sweet potatoes are edible...and I find them VERY tasty. However, what a grower uses as fertilizer and pesticides could have bearing on whether the plant should be eaten. We use a soy-based fertilizer so the residuals are safe.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #8957534

That's a good point Eleanor and presents an interesting question.

I would also think growers of ornamental plants would be prone to using more (and perhaps stronger) pesticides, as it is important for their plants to present well. However, I am not familiar with the actual legal restrictions that ornamental vs culinary growers face. Are distributors who grow plants for ornamental purposes allowed to use stronger pesticides, since the assumption is that their plants will not be eaten? Might be something worth investigating for a future article!

Thanks for writing and for your interest.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Eat More Kale - But Make Sure It's Edible Kale Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If one ate ornamental kale... vossner 3 Jan 3, 2012 6:54 PM
Kale is edible! ggardens 4 Jan 5, 2012 8:06 PM
Kale: Yes, it's all edible TexasTam 2 Jan 5, 2012 6:04 AM
Kale; making a new market. CountryGardens 2 Jan 3, 2012 2:07 PM
Good info! Sundownr 4 Jan 10, 2012 3:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America