Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Qestion about how many babie under broody

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 1, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 6, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #8956335

My silkie broody has seven babies under her now and I have some hatching in the incubator now. was hoping for two to hatch and was going to put them under her but it looks like I could have five,is that to many for her keep warm, it would be 12
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #8956360

I had a silkie that managed several dozen but she had a heat lamp to assist her. It was amazing to see her try to shove all those babies around her body...lol. She hatched a clutch in the winter and I had eggs in the bator at the time. Probably close to 3 doz all about the same time. She took the new babies in and they all flocked to her as mama.

I had brought them inside to a cool mud room, not heated but not freezing...extended warmth from the house and again I used a heat lamp at one end of the large broody box so they all gathered where they felt comfy. Didn't lose any of the babies as I recall.

Best of luck!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America