-
AuthorContent
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #8956550

Well...I have to give the Greenhouse soil beds a break. Drench treat...solarize...etc... which means I cannot grow in the greenhouse soil this year.
The beds need to be covered and exposed to the sun heat which means I cannot grow in pots on covered beds either. So here I sit trying to decide what I will do for tomato production this year and when you start thinking about all the many ways to grow the tomatoes, the structures, the trellising, the caging, the variety, it can become frustrating when you can't make up your mind. Growing outdoors and after frost means no early produce. How sad is that.
I have a garden plot that has not been used in a couple of years except this past fall for cole crops. There are 3 3ft beds 70ft long. I already have about 40 re-inforcement wire cages... This would be a regular season crop..
The other idea was to start early crop in the greenhouse that needs a soil bed break===Growing Big Beef in hanging five gallon buckets and upright out the top of the bucket and not upside down (upside down is a sin)...no staking, no twining, no weeding. Buckets have a lid to help hold in the moisture...hole cut in center of lid for plant ...another hole in lid for watering and fertilizing. Just hanging there. Spaced every three feet apart on the overhead rails ...
To do or not to do?? Decisions Decisions and I need to make one so I can schedule the seed germination.

The greenhouse in Question= The plants do fairly well in the grow beds until the tomatoes start to ripen then the plant leaves start yellowing and browning up the plants like a wild fire. I assumed it was blight...no testing.
Was also wondering if I grew the tomatoes in the hanging buckets if it would cut down on heat scald since the fruit will be hanging lower out of the heat instead of towering upward into the heat. hmmm.

some opinions would be great==or advice==ideas==etc...your experience.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2012 9:34 AM

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Market Growers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sat., June 21 Markets CountryGardens 40 Oct 5, 2010 5:25 AM
Odor-free Bone Meal? Will wildlife still uproot plants? PlanterRik 8 Jun 24, 2009 2:31 PM
Question on growing food for sale (organic) hczone6 28 Oct 1, 2007 7:52 PM
water melons,cantaloupes CricketsGarden 8 Sep 1, 2007 8:39 PM
Backyard nursery TXSWETIE 183 Jul 2, 2007 9:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America