Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #8958344

Last thread was getting rather long.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233846/

I made a couple of my local quilting friends these pillows for Christmas.
The center embroidery is one of Mittsy's designs.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #8958350

Love those stockings!

Barb, love that pattern, is it called pineapple?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #8958377

lol
Barb - saw that on something that Jaye got, or a Quilt charity block thread?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #8958528

Ladies it was Jean that posted the picture. Great job Jean - I'll bet your friends were thrilled with them.

I'm working on some paper-pieced blocks for the other room and finishing up last years BOM. Then I start on the project list. When I cleaned out the cupboard where I had been putting bags containing patterns and materials for things i wanted to make, I discovered that there were 18 different things there!!! So-one by one I will be starting on them...

An update on Elaine. I saw her today for a while and she still is having problems. She still is showing the Bells Palsy and still cannot close her right eye so it is continually under a patch. She can't drive or sew or paint so is slowly going crazy. Her speech is improving as she gets used to only being able to move one side of her face. We brought her over for dinner one night last week and we will do so again this week. At least it gets her out of the house for a while. Please say a prayer for her. She is truly a sweetheart of a gal...Thanks...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #8958631

So sorry, I need to pay closer attention to the names!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #8958665

I'm focusing most of my attention right now on "Learning and changing" besides dejunking so not getting much in the way of sewing done. I LOVE seeing everyone else's projects!!! BEAUTIFUL ladies! Guess I'll have to get my fix looking at YOUR work!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #8958676

sorry Jean - I got my peep's names mixed up too.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #8958680

Love the pillow Jean.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #8958690

Went to a favorite LQS today and bought some flannels from the clearance rack and went to several thrift shops to get a few unusual denims via long coats and dresses (I can get more fabric that way). I've been gathering different denims to have a variety of shades, weaving and textures. Going to make a rag Q for my nephew for his graduation this coming spring, and one for me.

Question--- He's going to college in upstate NY by the finger lakes. Want to make him the rag Q for the colder nights. I am going to use denim and flannel on the front and flannel on the back. For you notherners, would your recommend flannel for the center or will the weight be OK with homespun cotton? Have some homespun that I was thinking of using as it will fring nicely, but not sure if it'll be warm enough. It's going to be a generous twin size for his dorm. Also making him a dorm Q of cotton and natural and warm (batting), so he could use the rag Q over the other if he wants as well. Suggestions?

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #8958691

Stu, it does get cold up there. I went to college in that area.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #8958694

flannel center it is...

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #8958700

tell him to be ready for snow!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #8958716

Thanks Jumper. His folks already have gotten him a 4-wheel drive vehicle (not sure what type) that's in my folk's driveway up north while they winter here in FL. They're on Long Island, so they hear about the weather in northern NY. But hearing and living in it are two different things. I know that we got more snow and cold in Easton, PA, where I went to undergrad, than we had back home, but his will be more often and deeper and colder.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #8958800

Too late Jean!!! Gloria, I love those stockings !!! ♥♥♥
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #8958910

THe pillow is a "cheater" pineapple. The triangles aren't sewn down just held on with the outer seams.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #8958984

Stu, sounds like your nephew may be going to the snow belt!!! They get a lot of lake-effect snow (off the Great Lakes) and if he is near Syracuse, they get the snow storms off the finger lakes. So not only does it get cold, it stays cold for quite a while into Spring. I'd surely go with the flannel center.

Jean I never would have thought to fold and sew like that on the pillows. I love it!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #8959063

Barb, I had seen it done like that somewhere. Since I wasn't really exact with cutting the strips (was using scraps mostly), I just made larger than needed white squares. By not sewing htem down I could slide them around a bit and not be concerned if they weren't "exact".

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #8959094

I would have made the square the same as the strips - 2" strip=2" square. In any case, I really do like the look!!! I have some cross stitch pieces here that I did years ago and that would be a nice way to display them.. I just love getting new ideas from everyone here...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #8959100

Hum.m... Stuart, I have made a couple of rag quilts now and well over a dozen jean quilts. I would not have opted for a layer between your denim and flannel/homespun. It simply becomes very heavy!!! But that's me! On the other hand I have a niece and husband who want me to make them a KING size denim bedspread with the flannel back AND the batting because they LOVE the weight of a heavy blanket. So who knows?? LOL

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #8959163

4 wheel drive is a good idea!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 8, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #8959676

Jean - is that the "regular" flip and sew? I'm making 2 lap quilts for a friend & his new wife that way. Really quick & easy, isn't it?

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #8959698

Barb and Pat. Now I'm not sure which to use. I figure the top will be a combo of flannel and denim, the back flannel. I was going to use the homespun between the layers vs using a flannel center layer. I'm using 10" squares which will become 9" using a 1/2 " seam allowance. Figure going seven across for 64 inches (only 1/2 of each block is seamed on the two end blocks), and nine blocks long for 82 ". Didn't think that the homespun would add as much weight as the flannel and would be easier to dry. I know that some of y'all use three layers with cotton being one layer, but thought that some used three flannel layers. Not sure what the dorms are like heat/draft wise.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 8, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #8959756

In Canada we use a backing of cotton (or flannel) and a center batting,
I agree - homespun is much lighter and wouldn't add a lot of weight, nor be as long to dry.
I know that my g'ma used flannel as a center layer as she lived on a farm and cotton batting was expensive and going to town to get some didn't make sense to her.
She didn't have sheep, so using their uncarded wool as a center wasn't an option either.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #8959780

well just to add to the confusion...I made a rag quilt with denim, and flannels...and I put warm & natural batting in each square...it is thin and light weight, yet warm...it was "heavy" when completed, but not too heavy. I have an older quilt, that has poly cotton blend bating in it , with all cottons on both sides, and I would say it weighs more than the rag quilt...

It can get pretty cold, even in Florida!! and some houses here have no heat at all !!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 8, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #8960035

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2012
2:54 AM

Post #8960095

We got down to 24 F last week here...

Thunder. How did the rag 'fringe' with the W&N? I ws afraid that it would eventually pull off. Leaning back to the homespun. I'm makinga regular dorm quilt for him using warm and natural, so the flannel can be thrown over the other qilt if need be. Think I'm going to go with that as I'm concerned that if he washes the three layer flannel at school, it'll be too heavy for the dorm machines to properly spin and stay wet way too long. Here, I give it to the wash and fold to do the first couple of washes due to the threads and being on septic tank. Thanks everyone for yor input.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #8960346

Oh. ya... he will not want to wash that in school w&d!!! I'm on sewer but I alway killed one washing machine trying to do the first wash on a rag quilt!!! It was my first rag quilt and it was my sons washer!! Totally overwhelmed the machine and killed it. The repair man wrote it up as "customer abuse"!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #8960610

Stu - you would cut the batting 9" so it is only in the center of your block, not out in the fringe area. The goal is the stitching btwn the blocks will "just" catch the batting.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #8960611

"is that the "regular" flip and sew? I'm making 2 lap quilts for a friend & his new wife that way. Really quick & easy, isn't it?"

I'm not sure what flip & sew is.It's just a log cabin with the triangles "over" the corners. Sort-of a cheater Pineapple block
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #8960682

http://quiltwithdonna.com/foldystuffpageb.html

Could this be what everyone is thinking about when the mention "foldy" or "flip and sew"?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #8960918

My log cabin is "normal" just the corners are lose.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #8961482

Stu, I don't remember what size squares I did, but I cut the batting 1 inch smaller that the squares, centered it in between the fabrics, and sewed X across each block, to hold together, then sewed blocks together into rows, rows together...then clipped the whole thing...

Marion, that is interesting. Not how I do flip and sew...I will try to explain...for instance to do a log cabin flip and sew block, to finish at 12''. I would cut a piece of good quality muslin about 13 - 14 '' square. cut batting square same size...fold muslin in half both ways, to find center. pin on back side / wrong side...lay on table pin down, put batting on top of that, then take your center piece, and feel for your pin...place center in center...over where you felt the pin.right sides up, take next piece, log, and lay on top of center piece, so right sides face each other, and one edge is lined up...raw edges of center and log...stitch together with 1/4 '' seam, flip log over so right side shows, press lightly if you wish, I usually just finger press...turn piece , lay on next log, as before, lining up raw edges, stitch ...flip...stitch ...flip...all around the cabin.. at some point you can remove the pin from the back side, I have never found it to be in the way of possible sewing over, and I usually remove it after doing the first 2 or 3 logs...

I have done place mats, mug rugs, and pot holders this way. using a larger square in center of logs, or using smaller center (two small same size squares for first two pieces you put on) "clear as mud??"

that's how I did this mug rug.

Thumbnail by barefootT

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #8961558

Love the mug rug Thunder. The Poster item I posted is just the top, you add backings from what I understand after all the squares are together. I also think I read somewhere that you do not put batting between as it makes it to heavy.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #8961809

You are all so creative and I love to see what everyone does. i just finished a rag quilt to take to the chemo room at the Radiation Center I went to. They didn't have any for the people there. i do 9" blocks and make them 6 blocks across and 7 blocks down. That way they are big enough to cover legs and at least up to stomach, even for a tall man. I use cotton fabric and flannel in the middle. They are cozy but not too heavy. How big to any of the rest of you make your rag throw quilts?

Also, Thunder, Jean, some of the rest of you...I am making a quilt using a pattern that all of us at the sewing house have but using my own colors. It is an Irish Chain and done in batiks. I love the pattern but it is only a single and I need a queen. How do you enlarge a quilt when the blocks are intertwined? I would love to make this quilt but need it to be larger.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #8961839

Marion - I couldn't find a reference to Flip & Sew on the link, but here's what I do..

I put a piece face up in the center of a muslin square (muslin 3/4" bigger than the finished size I want my block so I have room for later trimming) and I "eyeball" it for center.
Then I put another piece upside down on top of it, matching the edges. It can be longer than the original piece, but not shorter. I stitch along the edge, then I flip it so both pieces are now facing up and iron it.
Then I take another piece and lay it face down on top of a face up piece, again matching the edges, and sew the raw edges. Then I flip the face down piece so it's face up too - and iron.
I keep building this way until the muslin is covered.
Then, I turn the whole thing upside down so I see the muslin and trim the entire piece to match the muslin square.

When I get home I can show you pics of finished, and "in progress" ones so you can see what I mean, if you wish.
btw - for the first piece, you don't even need to sew it down, because adding the 2nd piece and sewing it will stitch it down to the muslin.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #8961889

Janice, here's one site I found that may help.

http://www.how-to-quilt.com/articles/1106-irish-chain-quilt.php

Here is another:

http://www.antiquecityquilters.com/patterns/IrishChain.pdf

This message was edited Jan 10, 2012 12:58 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #8961900

Susan, I posted the link thinking people were thinking of the foldy method Donna Poster uses as the flip and sew method. No, there are no references on that site--entirely different process. I have a book on flip and sew, which I discovered going through boxes last night.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #8961906

ah - gotcha, Marion!
My sister Alice tried to describe how to do Flip And Sew, over the phone, but I Could Not "get" it until I saw an online pattern/directions. Sew easy!! Sure helps make use of small bits of material in your stash!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #8961908

That it does.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #8961950

Janice what size blocks are you making for your Irish Chain quilt?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #8962171

Janice - you should be able to "find where that right side block" is in the middle of the quilt then just takes the rows next to it and add to the far right.
Do the same for the bottom row.
Does tht make sense????
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #8963363

http://forums.about.com/n/docs/docDownload.ashx?webtag=ab-quilting&guid=67e36171-e2df-478d-864d-f8900adc4932

I had the name wrong on that quilt. it is Island Chain not Irish. Here is a picture and you can see my problem with making this quilt bigger. I love the use of batiks and the three dimensional look of the quilt so I may just have to make it the 53.5" x 64.75" that it is quoted. That is really just a large lap quilt.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #8963391

That link didn't work for me but I did Google it. I see what you mean about the design. It's pretty though. I guess you could use that as your centerpiece and add co-ordinating borders to the size you wanted. Or maybe a thin border and then a set of the pattern around, then the finish border to size? I'm not too creative though, maybe someone else has a better idea.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #8963458

could you just add another row all the way around??

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #8963517

Janice - I couldn't open the link either (asked me to log in...), but I googled a Batik version of Island Chain. Is that the one you are doing? Very pretty!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #8963544

Qwilter - What a pretty pillow ! Cute idea. Are those difficult to make ?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #8963573

Janice - you could all a row of 1/2 blocks all the way around. Just add rows like you did btwn the inner & outer rings...

Or, put more room btwn the inner & outer rings and make proportiontally larger.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #8963576

Country mom - it's just a log cabin with a square folded to a triangle over the corners. Very easy construction.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #8963672

Qwilter - "Just a log cabin". I've heard of that. I'll see if I can find some instructions somewhere and try using that Viking of mine :)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #8963693

C.M. Google Log Cabin quilt patterns. you'll be amazed at what you can do with them, easy and fun.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #8963815

siliolegma - Thanks ! I'll do that :)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #8963862

Log cabin is a fantastic block for a beginner.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #8963877

Log Cabin quilt blocks have been done since... well, forever! I think they started with the actual 1st log cabins that were built...
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #8963933

Wow! There are a zillion sites with log cabin patterns for free! Thanks...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #8964048

It's unbelievable how many different ways there are to put them together too.
Have fun and remember...we love show and tell.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #8964088

I've always like the Light & Shadow patterns of Log Cabin
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #8964130

Countrymom, please be sure to show what you do. We are all interested.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #8964410

The "true/original" log cabin blocks have a red center to represent the heart or hearth of the home.

For a beginner it is a good block because there are no points to match up. And it's easy to square the blocks to a standard size after you make a stack of them.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 12, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #8965122

I think it is one of those blocks that every quilter should do. Kind of a right of passage into the quilt world. LOL
Cher

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 5:05 PM

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #8965223

Log cabin was my first quilting after the pattern that I learned in my quilt class. I used Elanore Burns' book, which is a must-have for new quilters as it gives step-by-step pictures as well as an array of quilt sizing and layout for patterns for each size. Since then, I've made log cabins and variations (quarter log, etc) of various sizes by using the baics of the original. This is a variation that I did for my nephew's quilts.

Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #8965231

A look at the block.

Thumbnail by FLStu

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 12, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #8965248

ahhh that is great love it
Cher
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #8965292

Thanks for the advice and sorry the link didn't work. I traveled back to Lansing this weekend to visit with friends and went to my favorite quilt shop. Originally I thought I would only do 8 fabrics instead of the 40 they suggested. Picking out coordinating fabric is not one of my strengths but with a little help from one of the clerks I was able to find 13 more to go with the 8 I found at Shiloh and now I have 20. This means I will only have 2 blocks alike. I'm so excited to start but I have other things to do first.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #8965507

I'm still trying to finish the baby quilt that was supposed to be a gift at Christmas! My husband downloaded the pictures from the camera to his computer thru Easy Share and I CANNOT get the photos to transfer over. ARrrrrrrggg... I need to get my sons here to help me out! LOL

Stuart, that is beautiful!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #8965590

Pat you might need to use a photo program and reduce the size of the photos before they will load on here. I have to do that with all of mine.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #8965911

FLStu - Thanks for the book recommendation. I just don't know where to begin. Pretty quilt too!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 13, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #8966018

Pictures need to be about 800 pixels...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #8966047

Countrymom - Have you checked for quilt places/groups in your area. Isn't there an Amish population around you? They are by far the best quilt makers.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #8966283

Qwilter - You're right. There is a small Amish community about 35 miles north of us, and a large one in Sugar Creek, Ohio which is about 60 miles south of us. When I bought my Viking, the JoAnn's I went to offered classes - but you had to bring your own machine to the class. I could make a few excuses, but the truth is I didn't feel like carrying the machine back and forth.

I'm over whelmed with all the quilting magazines and books that are available. I need something super simple to teach me how to quilt. I found books by Elanore Burns, but I have no idea which one I should buy.

Any suggestions ?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #8966303

http://quilting.about.com/od/picturesofquilts/ig/Log-Cabin--Pineapple--More/Fall-Days-Quilt.htm

Try this website for some good information or Eleanor Burns "Make It in a Day" series of books. That is what I used when doing my first logcabin.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #8966376

abbisgranma - Thanks ! I bookmarked the page. I'm on my way to Amazon :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #8966505

You tube also has a bunch of good videos!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #8967215

Good morning all-from cold and frosty WA. I have a kinda sad story to tell- I wanted to make some Cathedral Window pillows of black & white prints for my new sofa , after my success with my black rag quilt throw. Have to backtrack a bit. Seven months ago I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder (my *main* arm) and I have recovered quite well from it with just a few limitations. Anyway, I got all my squares made and sewed together, got my 12 different prints cut and put on. I used a glue stick on each corner- it works great!. And I sewed the whole thing onto a back of cotton sateen. The windows measure 15" square (4 each way @ 3.25") So last night I got my Ott light set up by the sofa and settled in for an evenings hand sewing. After making it around the outside of one pillow I discovered that I just can't do it- the motion of squeezing the needle and pulling it out away from my body is making my newly healed shoulder hurt, and I can't afford th have that happen. So I am forced to abandon the pillows. It really disappoints me, but I just can't do it. I know someone out there would love to finish them, so I am selling them.
There are the 2 pillows and I will include the remaining sateen to back them. The pillow windows are of black flannel, and all the prints are first quality cottons- 12 different prints. The price is $25 plus priority shipping of $11. I hope someone will give them a good home! Thanks- There are 2 photos- each one is a different print layout.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #8967217

Here is the other pillow-

Thumbnail by JoParrott

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #8967222

Jo, those are beautiful and I'm so sorry to hear that you are forced to give up a hobby you love. Someone will surely step up with money and give them a new home.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #8967244

I am not giving up at all- I just will do a different type of piecing-I will have my 2 pillows! I have a huge collection of black/white prints-I just need to find a pattern I like for 16" pillows. Any suggestions?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #8967303

http://www.quilterscache.com/ free and any size you want! I'm not advanced enough to make it worth investing in patterns so I look at this site with free patterns. They neet my needs.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #8967306

Do you have a friend near by, that can stitch them for you?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #8967322

taters, that's way too much to ask! There are hours and hours of hand sewing in the 2 pillows.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #8967792

Jo - what exactly are you hand sewing? Can it be done by machine?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #8967848

No , the rolled edges in a Cathedral Window must be done by hand.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #8967853

Here's a photo of one I made years ago-

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 14, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #8968025

oh, now Jo - I've seen it done very quickly by machine. I'll see if I can find the directions... so easy and Quick!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 14, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #8968032

I couldn't find My directions, but googled this. Looks like it could be done on the machine...
http://www.recycle-crafts.com/cathedral-window-quilt.html

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #8968097

Oh dear, another"I want to do this someday".
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #8968134

I shouldn't have said it had to be done by hand, but I can't see how the intricate junctions could look good done by machine-it's pretty intricate. But I guess one could do it if desired-

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #8968544

Making some headway, finished a rag quilt, only wash and fluff needs to be done..knew all those leftover blocks would come in handy...

Also worked on using us 2010 and 2011 Christmas blocks..quilt coming together

Love the pillow ideas

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #8968836

Jo - I did 2 baby quilts, in polar fleece, and did the piecing by hand because I thought it would "gum up" the sewing machine. Turns out it may not, but I liked piecing them by hand anyway...
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #8968888

I have decided to work slowly on the Cathedral Windows- if I use a short thread and be careful how I extend my arm, it is OK- And I wanted a hand sew project anyway. It will just take a lot longer than I wanted. But winter is here so I'll just use the time I have .

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #8968909

sounds like a plan, Jo!! Just take it very easy, and you'll do fine :-)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #8968915

I understand your desire to have what you WANT!!! Doing it slow and taking in it in "little bites" will make it possible for you, just not speedy! I'm glad to hear you decided to finish it for yourself.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 15, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #8969004

me too they are beautiful, and so much time in them already.
Cher
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #8969170

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement- it's not like me to give up, but lately life has had too many downs and too few ups, and I was just not thinking positively. You all are such a supportive group--

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #8969207

Question for you - I got some sewing gadgets, and this was in the package (from a friend, who has No Idea what this is), and I was hoping someone would know what it was. Side view shows some pins inside, and the top view shows where you are to press it and the pins meet the bottom.
any ideas what it is?

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #8969208

Here's the view from the top.
It's about 7" long, and 2" wide, and the bottom is a little longer, but the same width.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #8969235

Hmmmm is that for shredding ribbon?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #8969239

Never seen anything like that Susan?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #8969249

are the "pins" sharp at the bottom only? or on the length of them? ribbon shredding sounds like a possibility, made me think of fringe...would it cut fabric? or leather??

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #8969254

http://www.amazon.com/Ribbon-Shredder-Paper-Cutter-Set/dp/B004D8QIEW

same thing...YAY! I win.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2012 10:38 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #8969376

omgoodness, Karen - how Right can you B?
Here's a ribbon I "shredded". No, it can't be used for anything heavier - not even fabric ribbon... but This looks beautiful!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
2:44 AM

Post #8969478

Sorry that I saw this late. Yes, a ribbon shredder... I have one. I would recommend curling the ribbon first, if you want it that way - before shredding. trying to curl after will rip off some threads. The threads will be curly after. I use the handle of a spoon to curl ribbon, running the ribbon between the spoon and my thumb, then bring it through the shredder and you have a curly 'tail' on the ribbon. It's made for the wrapping-type of ribbon.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #8969667

Yes, mentioned it on another thread..I have one as well..was at the Canadian Exhibition years ago and they had classes and supply bags which I bought and took a class, probably sitting in a cupboard somewhere.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #8969832

A good friend of mine, who has quilted for eons, is teaching me how by email ! Maybe even a visit now and then. So, here is the idea I have. Found the fabric at my favorite sellers on eBay. Dottie said to begin with a simple 9 patch. I want to make a twin size quilt. Here is the fabric I've chosen, but not ordered yet. Should I put white inbetween the patches ? What do you think of the color combination ?

Thumbnail by Countrymom

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #8969858

thinks it's adorable.. very country..
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #8969871

Bettypauze - Thanks. I went ahead and ordered all that was available - 12 yds altogether. I need to find a color to go inbetween. I am so excited !

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #8969894

CM since you are making a 9 patch, Google...Disappearing 9 patch. It's a pretty cool variation that you can do many different patterns with.. There will be several sites, check a bunch of them out. You will be amazed at all the different looks. So easy to do too.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #8969924

Here's my first pillow- I just had to stay with it last night until I finished it. I just put it together this morning. I don't think the effect could be gotten by maching stitching-

Thumbnail by JoParrott

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #8969926

I love my new sofa!

Thumbnail by JoParrott

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #8969944

Love the blue and white 9 patch, alternate the blue and white, make some white and blue. Do a google image search for D9P quilts, you will get many variations.

Love that grey sofa, and the lap quilt and pillow! Very nice!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #8969972

Your whole home is beautiful Jo, NOT just the couch, pillow and throw!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #8970009

siliolegma - Will do. Thanks for the Google.

JoParrott - Beautiful pillow. Beautiful sofa. Beautiful home. Even your coffee table looks like quilting !

taters55 - Thanks for the suggestions. I'm on my way to Google !

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #8970014

OMGosh! These websites and pictures should keep me occupied and out of trouble for DAYS !
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #8970093

Patchwork coffee table- I had never thought of it that way! I also have a round dining table that is the pieced stones. I like natural looking stuff!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #8970281

Fantastic job on the pillow Jo. I agree-it needed to be done by hand to look so soft. I like Cath windows but I only like them by hand too... The whole picture is so attractive. I too love the table!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #8970300

Jo - Pillow turned out WONDERFUL.

Country Mom - for "sashing" btwn the 9-patch blocks, what other color do you WANT to draw out? Blue & white lend themselves to so many options. Using a red/blue print would give a patriotic look; using a blue/yellow print would make it very "springy".

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #8970326

Jo... a Disappearing 9 Patch is easy and give you multiple options for repiecing. This is one that I did wit a before and after quartering then resewing of the block

Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #8970335

Using a second combo with dark corners and a red center, then alternating the blocks gave this

Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #8970343

Don't have a picture of it yet, but I'm working now on one using 9 ptach blocks that I bought on Ebay cause I loved the fabric. I quatered them, but instead of repositioning the opposing corners, I have all the quaters pointing trhe same way (they kind of look like an 'L'). Looks great so far. Two really easy uses of the 9 patch that result in a top that looks much more complicated than it really is.

Edited to add ... it was the ladies on this forum and a thread on how to make a D9P that got me started on these.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2012 6:11 PM
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #8970354

Stu- that is really stunning. I don't know if I could do that! I really don't like to be boxed in by patterns, and usually end up contriving something of my own.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #8970380

Jo, it's SO EASY. And you really can randomly reposition. Her is my irst D9P. I used several fabrics and randomly repositioned, giving a really scrappy look.

Thumbnail by FLStu

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #8970394

I LOVE IT! So I can pretty much do what I want with it? That's my kind of deal! These are the black/whites I want to use, and I have about 6 more I could use also.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #8970399

I am so glad you decided to finish your pillow by hand Jo. Beautiful!!! I, too, love your room---the table is fantastic and the rug underneath is something I would have selected. Love the colors!!!

CC, you can do the disappearing 9 patch--just remember to have fun!!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #8970427

Jo... I LOVE B&W. It'll work great and what's nice is that when you go random, if the corners don't match up, it's not noticable. I really like the grey, black and white pallete in your room. Don't know if I would tempt the cathedral pillow yet. But yours is stunning.

Countrymom... sorry for my senior moment, but it was you who brought the 9 patch into the conversation here. Ditto above for your 9 patchs.

I've been cutting left-over fabric pieces into 8", 6.5 " and 4.5" and storing them for future scrappy quilts. Probably will make some via D9P and others via pinwheels, the latter of which someone here shared with an easy way to make them via a You Tube video. I've started with the denims that I've been cutting for two rag quilts and am progressing as I go so that I don't have pieces here and there... gotta keep myself better organized. The remaining pieces that aren't big enough go into a bag for Thunder for her 1.5 square project.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #8970430

you tube video for the D9P. So easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjZOXxPazg
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #8970432

Stu, when do you sleep? LOL I need to get much better organized but then I am not sure I can at my age.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #8970451

Marion, discovered with the denim that if I do it there and then when I'm done with the day's work or with the front, I won;t get the boxes of odd pieces like I've been holding on to. I also have taken my left over strips and rolled them, put a rubber band around the roll and then put them in bins by strip width. I've actually been able to put strips to use in project by doing this. Lets see if I can wittle down my catch-all boxes of pieces.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #8970459

That is what I need to do with mine. I have been going through my scrap bag cutting thing into workable sizes and organizing them but then something happens and I get off track. Humm maybe my daughter is right----I have a ADS! LOL Or just to many irons in the fire right now. Can't wait to see what you have done with the denim.

BET, didn't I see where congrats are in order again from a recent show?

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #8970505

Yes ... we're in a two week cluster ofr dog shows in Brooksville. Merlin, who was invited and shown last month at Eukanuba, is just 4 points away from becomming a Grand Champion, a new AKC classification beyond champion, after this weekend. His brother, Murry, whom I'm showing, is half way to become a champion with four more points this past weekend. And Irving, one of the puppies, became a champion last month and will be invited to Eukanuba for 2012 and 2013. If he continues to mature the way he's going, he may be our first chance for Westminster eventually. Irving's brother Tommy is also on his way having gotten his second major this weeken, now being about 6 or so points away from becoming a champion (we co-own him with a friend who has him. Five out of the six from that litter are being shown currently, a great accomplishment out of a single litter, especially one that large The sixth, the runt of the litter - Sadie - is beautiful, but doesn't really show an interest yet. She's probably too small to really be competative and definitely too small to consider to breed. But she is a pistol and can get any of the others, even the biggest and alphas, on their backs in two seconds. She takes no prisoners.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #8970574

Qwilter - Sashing ! That's what it is called - Thanks ! And thanks for the lesson in colors. I think color and pattern combinations is where I have the biggest problem at this point.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #8970582

Stu- could we see photos of the dogs without being guilty of getting off topic too much? I would love to see them-
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #8970619

Well congratulations indeed. That is definitely something to boast about --I see you smiling from here! LOL Sadie sounds like my kind of dog!!!

This message was edited Jan 16, 2012 11:24 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #8970661

Wow, your doing very well at the shows! Congrats!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #8970723

I made two D9Ps in black & white. I used primaries in the centers of one for my son and bright pastels for my daughter. Both loved them. Hardest was finding enough B&Ws without flowers for my son.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #8970898

Countrymom - I rarely know what I'm using for sashings & borders until the blocks are done. I rarely use fabrics from a single "line/collection". I take the finished blocks to the fabric store and try them against the fabrics. At times it takes a couple trips to find what I want.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #8970927

I'm like that too Jean. I need to "audition" the fabrics to get just the right one. Sometimes though I wish had bought it all at the same time as certain colors are distinctive to a certain line of fabric. That being said - contrast colors always work well as well as neutrals... Another thing I like is that grays are coming back! I love how they frame a block...

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #8971015

Barb. Love Greys, not only as a primary, but also as background color. The first D9P uses white with grey flowers as a neutral to the reds and blacks. I recently bought sets of jellyrolls with yellow and grey as primaries and black and whites as highlights. One grouping I found at WM and am using those for the auctionQ for this year's nationals. The second is from Joanns and fell in love with the richness in the yellow and greys. Would like to do a future Q for someone in silver greys turquoise/aqua as main colors.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 17, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #8971023

just love dropping ad seeing all your projects..they are never ending..great ideas and color combinations

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 17, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #8971175

have some Japanese quilt material - mostly grays. Can't remember the artist...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #8971484

Stu this is the mystery quilt I just finished for my grandson. We must have some similar tastes eh????

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #8971535

"Takes no prisoners" ... LOL... my kind of girl!!! I had 2 brothers but I routinely dumped them on their backsides!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #8971571

Good job Barb. Definately not my colors but that turned out very nice.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #8971598

Barb... great quilt. Love the colors together.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #8971609

Thought you might Stu!!!! Thanks Jean. It was one of those mystery quilts where you bought your fabric only knowing values and one sharp contrast color. I am really pleased with how it came out. I still need to add one 2" dark border all around and then it goes to the quilter...

This message was edited Jan 17, 2012 4:39 PM

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 17, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #8971619

Omg I spent one night sewing and a day at work and I missed all this chatter...LOL. I just bought the new Moda line called Terrain. I am doing D9P with and embroidery and applique center. I Just love this new fabric it is bright and loud JUST LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/77001364/terrain-charm-pack-fabric-squares-moda?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=GPS

Anyhoo will post when I put together just thought I would share this pretty new line. Hope the link works it is hugh
Cher
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #8971642

I love the Terrain line you just posted Cher. Wait until Thunder see that group.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #8971654

Yep, keep Thunder away from those charms. I love the bright colors. Life is too short to not have color!!!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 17, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #8971668

I agree I love them too. Giving the quilt to an Aunt for her Birthday hope she appreciates it like I do.
Sorry Thunder to tempt you with such pretty colors but couldn't help raving about this Moda Fabric. I use alot of Moda and their brushed cottens are sooooo wonderful too.
Cher
Can not spell today !!!!!!!!!

This message was edited Jan 17, 2012 5:16 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 17, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #8971669

Oh Barb, how absolutely stunning..how pleased he will be!

Have to cheque the stonecottage quilt store and see if the have any such workshops.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 17, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #8971674

Barb I love how you quilt came out. Did you like doing a mystery quilt???
Cher

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #8971703

I loved doing mystery quilts. It always amazes me what I end up with. I have done four now and have so enjoyed all of them.

I just checked out that Moda line and it has Thunder written all over it and Pat (psychw2) as well.

I thought after I recuperate a bit I might try the Mondo bag Cher. I so loved yours and I'm so happy you sent the pattern to me...Thank you again!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #8971713

recuperate?????

Barb - how is the weather up there???/

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #8971835

The weather is freezing!!! But it did get up to the mid twenties today!
I'm having open gall bladder surgery on Friday. Can't do the laproscopic because of my breathing. SOoooo, 3-5 days in hosp and then recoup at home. All kinds of fun!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #8971842

Quilter5bdsr - very pretty ! I am sure your grandson will love it !

Qwilter - I think taking fabric to the store is a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #8971993

Barb, best of luck with your surgery. I have to have a Laryngeal polyp removed next week. I have had a really hoarse voice for a few years, and I hope this will bring my old voice back!
I just finished the 2nd Cath. window pillow and now I am going to make preparations to do a DNP-thanks to you, Stu! Wish me luck!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #8972096

Love that quilt Barb! It came out really nice!
Love those colors in the charm packs too!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #8972115

OK, everybody- give me some input. I think these are the prints I want to do in a DNP-I love the jewel tone pebble print for a WOW piece- is it OK? It does have a teeny bit of black in between the stones, and I love the colors. Now I am looking for lots of advice for my first try. Will I be able to use all those prints, just do random?

Thumbnail by JoParrott

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #8972153

Jo, I'd find a different jewel tone print. Something with fewer colors and a bit more black, that's IMHO. I'd probably use the white fabric with the words in mostly blocks that don't get cut so you don't lose the words, again IMHO.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #8972205

I agree on the piece with the words, you may want to be sure that those pieces go in a corner of the 9 patch, where they will not get too cut up...butttttt I think the pebbles would be fantastic for the center square !!!!

Jo, you may get a different opinion from each one of us ! and regret asking :)
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #8972215

I expect to get a lot of different opinions, and I want you to be honest- about the words, I already realize that it shouldn't be cut up. As for the WOW print, I don't want a red or other primary color- that's not me. The jewel tones speak loudly to me, and I am pretty sure it will be in there. Another question- There are 3 one way prints- the words, the cat faces, and the birdhouses. Can they be put in random directions since they will be turned anyway? I may have created a monster here!!! But I know it will be a lot of fun.Please post away- I need all the opinions I can get.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #8972238

I would put them in random directions, but that is me.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 17, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #8972244

Barb - will be thinking about you on your surgery date - keep warm with the "Arm Wraps" blankie!

Jo - I love/love/love jewel tones, and I love the white/black/grey tones too! (I plan on doing a mix with my black/white fabric - it's black bars of music on white - are you my quilt fabric twin????)

I agree that the pebbles are not the "right" jewel tone fabric though. You Have To Go With Jewel Tones, though. I think that's an Awesome idea!!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #8972252

You are right- The pebbles won't work- I have squares cut, and it just isn't right- back to my stash to shop some more!

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 17, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #8972262

I really love the idea of jewel tones with the black/white - it will take a certain pattern though...

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #8972380

Jo --- I really like the fabric hiding under the wine/word print in your first photo. There's nothing that says you can't use different center colors in different blocks. There's also nothing saying that you have to keep the entire block together for the final block. You can exchange pieces between the cut blocks, giving you a speckling of jewel colors throughout the quilt without any one beng too large or too distracting. Solids or blenders would work well with this. And, if you needed to shop outside of your stash, you could get fat quarters or charms... you don'thave to buy yardage. Or, maybe, some of us here have extra jewel tones that we can put a few pieces in an envelope and send you? Are you in the addy exchange? If not, D-mail me with your addy and I'll see what I have. Don't do a lot of bright colors here, but I may have something in my stash. How big are your squares making the patches?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #8972392

In my black & whites, I used 4 B on W and 4 W on B and alternated them so half the squares had B on W in the corners and half had W on B in the corners. Then alternated those blocks in my quilt. I am a pretty even-steven kind of person and like balance.I had 7 rows, so used 7 colors and placed them diagonally when assembling. I do like the jewel tone pebbles. Maybe you need to make a block or two and see how you like the effect with the jewels quartered and moved. In my minds eye, it looks great. I would like all the same accent fabric.

I'm not going to even tell you about my adventures in traveling. I've made this trip more times than I can count with absolutely no issues what so ever. Suffice it to say I did not make it to TN. I'm in Lexington, KY waiting on car repairs.

Of course, leave it to Stu..we do have an ongoing swap thread too.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2012 6:23 AM

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #8972397

Jo, also, FYI.. I don't pre-wash my fabrics, but if you do, having the non-washed pieces in the size and distributions that you will be ending up with shouldn't be an issue if they're mixed in.

Another thought for the wine name print. I, personally, would not mind using it for the outer blocks in the 9 patch that don't get cut, but you can also add rectangular pieces in your border, or having one layer of the border - if you hve enough.- being the wine names. If you cut with the names, it'll keep them better intact. You can also use one fabric as an inner border and then use an outer border of rectangular pieces of B&W prints. You can even add rectangular pieces (with the width of the piece going from in to out between the larger rectangles going perpendicular) or squares of the jewel tones between every B&W or every few B&W. I would use a : black/W - White/B - Black/W - color - white/B - Black/white - White/B - color : orientation. If you use it as an outer border, your inner border and binding can even be the same fabric. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Editted to add: Looking at the Wine name square in your example, I think it'll do just fine in the D9P blocks.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2012 6:35 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #8972421

Jo - remember, the "side" squares will be cut in half and the center in 1/4. With that cat face print, when it's cut smaller, you are going to lose the "face". Pieces will have face pieces.
I'd put the words, cat faces, and birdhouses in the corner pieces that won't get cut and use the swirls inthe cut pieces.
And I agree that although the stone fabric is lovely, it just doesn't "work" with the other fabrics. Something with COLOR and a bit of black would work better.

To see how the cut pieces will look, fold them in half, pull the 1/4 blocks apart, and and then look at the block. See if you like the prints cut into smaller pieces before you cut them.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #8972479

Make sure you cut your pieces larger, because when you sew your 12 inch block, then cut it into 1/4's, then sew it again, it will not be 12 & 1/2 inch's.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #8972491

I started with 5" squares and they ended up the right size. With this quilt,individual block size isn't vital as long as they are the same size. You can always adjust quilt size with borders. I put a solid border then one made up of left over 5" squares cut in half and sewed together end to end, then a final solid.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #8972627

Good morning all- woke up to 3" of wet snow which I have to shovel off my 2 decks and driveway later. It will be the first real test of my shoulder surgery 7 months ago. I'll have to take it real easy and do it since hubby is too disabled to do it.
Thanks so much for all your ideas- I will use them all. With 3 more days of snowy weather I'll have plenty of time to play with fabrics!
By the way- I don't want to use any green, brown/orange/yellow pieces. I am just gradually removing the earth tones from my home- done that for years! I'll check often for new posts. Stu- you have Dmail.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #8972655

Stu, my squares are 5". I cut a lot last night, and will do more today-after shoveling snow!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #8972724

In looking at your layout- the wine word fabric is the focal fabric were it should be the pebble. By replacing it with an equal value WB as the others it will change how you view the finished block. Pebble is good.
one jewel tone per block would work really well.

Just my thoughts.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #8972778

I still think the pebbles would work...remember it will only be 1/4 of the size, after the cutting...and the cats should move to a corner if you wish to actually see any cat faces... I would cut a few pieces, and turn them as you will for the quilt,to get a better "preview" ... seeing as you already have the squares cut, if you decide not to use them for this quilt, you can save them for something else...
JMHO
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #8972800

In digging deeper into my stash I found this pebble print- it is perfect! The colors look great with the rest of my living room (this will be a sofa quilt,probably).What do y'all think?

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 18, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #8972815

Nice, see a few prints of same that I have..I'll keep watching to see how your project goes and who knows just might start one myself..lol

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 18, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #8972865

Now that is it perfect!
Cher

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #8972877

Made these blocks this past weekend for a baby quilt, then decided the quilt would be too big for a newborn, so instead put them together as 2 smaller (36" x 36") baby quilts.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #8972878

This is one of the smaller quilts.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #8972883

This is the other. I still have more of the 9 patch blocks so I do believe there is a D9P in my near future.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #8972894

Catbird, those are adorable-

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 18, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #8972943

They are just too adorable!!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #8972944

OK- I am ready to get down to business- Here are my squares all cut -now the fun can begin after I wind about a dozen black bobbins and set up my Bernina. The snow is still piling up, so I'll make some cappuccino and settle in!

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 18, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #8972979

yaaaaaaaaaay Jo!! Love the combination of colours/patterns! So pretty!

Catbird - I really like your combination of colours, and the pattern is a sweet old-fashioned one that I really would like to make myself sometime

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #8973013

Jo - since you found the center fabric, do you still need Jewel Tones? I think that you solved your issue, so if you do, let us know. Otherwise, I can assume that you're set for now.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #8973042

No, Stu- I think I'm good. So sweet of you to offer- I am busily pinning and getting ready to stitch while the snowdrifts build up outside! If you want you could send me some photos of your jewel tones- maybe for the future? And I should have many squares to share when I finish, too.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #8973081

Hello Jo.

http://valentinequiltworks.blogspot.com/2009/02/disappearing-9-patch-quilt.html

This is similar to what you are starting.Quite nice
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #8973116

Jo, I love the combination--especially the pebble piece. Do you know who makes it?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #8973246

abbisgranma, I'm sorry but I had cut the selvedge off the pebble fabric a long time ago- I've probably had it 15 years or more- so no help.
Helene, that link doesn't go amywhere. would you try it again?

This message was edited Jan 18, 2012 2:44 PM

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #8973275

Jo... check your filter settings. I was able to get the link to work here.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #8973302

it worked for me - it is such a good site as to what you are making. I was looking for myself to try and do something traditional for a friend of the fam. heading to nursing home and not quite aware of it...life's passages.

Try "www.valentinequiltworks.com"
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #8973394

OK- I got it too-it was hiding behind another window! duh! I had seen it before and was surprised how similar the fabrics are to mine. I am having SO much fun- here are the beginning blocks- I think I will use the pebbles in other places too- they add a lot, I think.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8973402

Catbird423 - The baby quilts are so cute !

JoParrott - Your search for just the right combinations was a really great lesson in colors for me. I like the final picture. To me, the colors seem just right. I can't wait to see what you make with the jewels, though. Beautiful fabric.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #8973414

Yes, the jewel pebbles is a beautiful piece of fabric, and I will use it soon- it will take some special prints to fit with it. I have a stash from about 25 years of working in fabric shops, so I can usually find what I need right at home!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 18, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #8973437

Lucky you, to have worked in fabric shops!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #8973772

Very nice Jo. That will be so pretty and I like the way you are changing the center block too. That dark gray reads like a solid and is perfect for the block that gets cut twice. I think an occasional big square of the bubbles would look good as well. Now I can't wait to see how you place the blocks in your quilt...
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #8974064

Good mornin' all. We're frozen in here today-18 degrees and gray. I've cancelled a doctor appointment, and plan to sew all day! With all the great ideas from all of you I'm on a roll. Still haven't a clue what I am building- probably another lap throw or quilt. But that doesn't have to be determined now- just as long as I have fun and stay busy. The blocks will pile up until I decide what to do with them. I'll have more photos later- Have a great day-

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #8974081

Oh good - The pebbles you are using are just fine. But than that is my most fav. color in the world. Will be a handsome/beautiful quilt when done.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 19, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #8974106

-17F here today (-27celcius) and it's Quite Crisp and Brisk! brrrrrrrrr

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #8974109

Susan, to my way of thinking, -17F is beyond 'quite crisp and brisk' ! It is downright frigid!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #8974124

"-17"... I can't even imagine it being that COLD!!!!!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #8974136

I couldn't sleep last night so I went shopping in my fabric stash- here's what I found to go with the Jewel tone pebbles. There are pretty metallic specks in all the solid pieces.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #8974149

love the combination!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #8974166

Beautiful!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #8974197

I just had a call from my surgeonís office. It seems he is not happy with the results of my pulmonary function test done yesterday and he has cancelled my surgery. I meet with him next Wed to see where we go from here. Iím sooooo upsetÖ
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #8974230

Barb, I am so sorry- it is so frustrating to get yourself all psyched up to get something done then have that happen- it happens way too often.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 19, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #8974245

Darn and BLAST, Barb... sooooooooooo annoying, right?
I feel for you...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #8974273

Love those colors that are going with the stones but am not sure about the beige... I think it would need to be one of the smaller (cut) pieces as opposed to a corner piece.

So sorry Barb but better safe than sorry. Make a quilt & you'll feel better!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #8974318

Quoting:So sorry Barb but better safe than sorry. Make a quilt & you'll feel better!!!!

I feel the same way

This message was edited Jan 19, 2012 2:51 PM
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #8974372

Quilter, that piece isn't really beige-it is sorta gold and matches the pebbles very well. I don't even have a clue as to how I will use the pieces yet- It will get put away for some day when inspiration hits me!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #8974519

Barb... sounds like a good reason for some theraputic fabric shopping.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #8974546

Stu, the only thing I need (I've about 20 projects in bags to be done) is maybe some backings or batting. I'm going to pull one out and go to town!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #8974566

I do wish I were closer and we could put our heads together on some things - i mean I could learn a lot. Do love your quilt "Raspberries and Choc" on the other room - Was that a Design by Mojo quilter? I think it is the one I couldn't download when she was offering it to us.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #8974766

Very psyched.. I ordered 1/2 yard of 40 fabrics (really 39 half yard and one full yard) on clearance from Calico Cottage Quilt Shop via their web site and they arrived today. The majority are Civil War and Victorian era reproduction. They arrived today and are even better than on screen. Probably will consider doing a sampler quilt of vintage block patterns. But I love the quilt I made from Civil War - esque repro charms I got from a charm swap on another thread that I want to run and do another with the fabrics I just got and left-overs from the last. Will have to sit on them for a while till I decide. I have so many projects lined up, I have time to leave them for a bit. I also just bought 83 various sized blocks on an Ebay Auction for a ridiculous winning bid ($13.50). If half of them are worthwile for at least gift or charity quilts, it'll be a really great buy. This is the link for that auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230730240473&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #8974826

I have some novice questions - Do charm packs have any duplicates or is there just one of each print? Is 5" the common size charm square? And how many are in an average charm pack? Do you regulars here ever have charm sales, swaps, or whatever? I am ending up with hundreds of 5" squares, and will someday need ideas of how to dispose of them. For sure I will not live long enough to sew them !!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #8974835

Jo, I am by no means an expert on this but most of the charm packs I have purchased do have duplicates in them. Usually 40 per pack, however, some manufacturers can have other counts--seen some with 50. I believe all charm packs are 5"--quick someone come in and correct me if I am wrong. We did have 2 swaps last year and it was loads of fun.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #8974836

We have had a couple charm swaps and the were very well received. The first we request colors we wanted, I got blue & yellow and made a D9P with them. The next was a choice of fall or holiday. Look for those threads to get an idea of what was made with some of them.

LOL We cross posted, Marion.

This was one:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227331/

This is the first one:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1216966/
This message was edited Jan 19, 2012 9:01 PM

This message was edited Jan 19, 2012 9:04 PM

This message was edited Jan 19, 2012 9:08 PM

This message was edited Jan 19, 2012 9:09 PM
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #8974859

Thanks for the info. I will continue to make and stash them- will surely join a swap at some time!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #8974868

Jo, I found an easy pattern in a Fons and Porter mag. You take the charm, cut it in half and sew a 1" x 5" strip between the two halves, giving you a 5" block back. Really easy, really scrappy.

Thumbnail by FLStu

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #8975114

JoParrott - Beautiful colors !

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 20, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #8975520

You all are so busy that I decided to go online and purchase a pattern..called Feathered Friends - 67 1/2 x 67 1/2 hmmm maybe I can do like the rest of you and go hunting in my stash

hugs Barb
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #8975522

STU!!!!!!! You should have never have mentioned the Calico Quilt Shop!!! Can you say big time trouble for me? LOL

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #8975580

Thanks Betty...
I was going to sew today but I let myself get into a book so I wouldn't think too much. The day has not been a loss at any rate. My doctor had ordered a different oxygen system for me on Wed. that is much more portable. They came today and I'm all set up with a much different system which I hope will work a lot better for me.

I'm thinking I'll work on the sewing room tomorrow as it is supposed to snow here. Norm got me several under-the-bed storage containers so that I can get my fabrics back up here from the basement room I was using. It's been difficult for me to go up and down the stairs. I'm going to spend the day sorting colors and getting things put away. I also need to get another design wall put up. I have one but it doesn't hold that much. When I'm putting something together I want to be able to see quite a lot of it.

I have been kpaper piecing some blocks for the other building and they are almost done. Dont mail until Feb though... At least they are ready.

Sean just arrived. I'll check in later...
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #8975587

Progress report- Thanks to 3 days of lousy weather I now have 14 blocks all done and squared up-They may become a quilt for my bed! As I look at this photo I cen see there will be a lot of rearranging before any sewing is done. I wish I had space for a flannel board somewhere.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #8975607

I've got six of these done now - paper pieced. Kept busy between these and reading...

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 20, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #8975619

Those are gorgeous Barb love paper piecing.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #8975634

Oh am I glad I am in the other building Barb.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 20, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #8975644

Jo those are looking grrrreat! nice colorway Yayyyyy 14!. I just put some together for a quilt for my Aunt I did 16 but only needed 14 so may work the extras to the back hmmm we'll see.
I will post when I get the top together.
Cher
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #8975647

Jo...awesome job you did on those squares!! The quilt will look goregous!!

Loveeeeee the PP block Barb. I have not done PP yet but it is on my to-do list for this year. How about you come up here for a visit and teach me!!!lol

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #8975666

Jo and Barb - very nice work. On both, great colors.

Cher... how about the two extra blocks for a bulster or pillows for the couch?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #8975706

Head on over to a new page:http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1238680/
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #8975708

Here we go again- I just dug out all these flannel squares left over from the 2 rag quilts I just made. I don't want to do any more rags for awhile, so I guess it will be flannel D9P blocks! Should be interesting, anyway! If the weather doesn't break soon I will have the whole house covered with patches!

Thumbnail by JoParrott

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #8975741

New room e everyone...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1238680/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America