Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What are you making - Winter 2012

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Last thread was getting rather long.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233846/

I made a couple of my local quilting friends these pillows for Christmas.
The center embroidery is one of Mittsy's designs.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Love those stockings!

Barb, love that pattern, is it called pineapple?

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

lol
Barb - saw that on something that Jaye got, or a Quilt charity block thread?

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Ladies it was Jean that posted the picture. Great job Jean - I'll bet your friends were thrilled with them.

I'm working on some paper-pieced blocks for the other room and finishing up last years BOM. Then I start on the project list. When I cleaned out the cupboard where I had been putting bags containing patterns and materials for things i wanted to make, I discovered that there were 18 different things there!!! So-one by one I will be starting on them....

An update on Elaine. I saw her today for a while and she still is having problems. She still is showing the Bells Palsy and still cannot close her right eye so it is continually under a patch. She can't drive or sew or paint so is slowly going crazy. Her speech is improving as she gets used to only being able to move one side of her face. We brought her over for dinner one night last week and we will do so again this week. At least it gets her out of the house for a while. Please say a prayer for her. She is truly a sweetheart of a gal...Thanks......

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

So sorry, I need to pay closer attention to the names!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm focusing most of my attention right now on "Learning and changing" besides dejunking so not getting much in the way of sewing done. I LOVE seeing everyone else's projects!!! BEAUTIFUL ladies! Guess I'll have to get my fix looking at YOUR work!

sorry Jean - I got my peep's names mixed up too.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Love the pillow Jean.

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Went to a favorite LQS today and bought some flannels from the clearance rack and went to several thrift shops to get a few unusual denims via long coats and dresses (I can get more fabric that way). I've been gathering different denims to have a variety of shades, weaving and textures. Going to make a rag Q for my nephew for his graduation this coming spring, and one for me.

Question--- He's going to college in upstate NY by the finger lakes. Want to make him the rag Q for the colder nights. I am going to use denim and flannel on the front and flannel on the back. For you notherners, would your recommend flannel for the center or will the weight be OK with homespun cotton? Have some homespun that I was thinking of using as it will fring nicely, but not sure if it'll be warm enough. It's going to be a generous twin size for his dorm. Also making him a dorm Q of cotton and natural and warm (batting), so he could use the rag Q over the other if he wants as well. Suggestions?

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Stu, it does get cold up there. I went to college in that area.

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

flannel center it is.......

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

tell him to be ready for snow!

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jumper. His folks already have gotten him a 4-wheel drive vehicle (not sure what type) that's in my folk's driveway up north while they winter here in FL. They're on Long Island, so they hear about the weather in northern NY. But hearing and living in it are two different things. I know that we got more snow and cold in Easton, PA, where I went to undergrad, than we had back home, but his will be more often and deeper and colder.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Too late Jean!!! Gloria, I love those stockings !!! ♥♥♥

THe pillow is a "cheater" pineapple. The triangles aren't sewn down just held on with the outer seams.

Stu, sounds like your nephew may be going to the snow belt!!! They get a lot of lake-effect snow (off the Great Lakes) and if he is near Syracuse, they get the snow storms off the finger lakes. So not only does it get cold, it stays cold for quite a while into Spring. I'd surely go with the flannel center.

Jean I never would have thought to fold and sew like that on the pillows. I love it!!!!

Barb, I had seen it done like that somewhere. Since I wasn't really exact with cutting the strips (was using scraps mostly), I just made larger than needed white squares. By not sewing htem down I could slide them around a bit and not be concerned if they weren't "exact".

I would have made the square the same as the strips - 2" strip=2" square. In any case, I really do like the look!!! I have some cross stitch pieces here that I did years ago and that would be a nice way to display them.. I just love getting new ideas from everyone here......

Hum.m... Stuart, I have made a couple of rag quilts now and well over a dozen jean quilts. I would not have opted for a layer between your denim and flannel/homespun. It simply becomes very heavy!!! But that's me! On the other hand I have a niece and husband who want me to make them a KING size denim bedspread with the flannel back AND the batting because they LOVE the weight of a heavy blanket. So who knows?? LOL

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

4 wheel drive is a good idea!

Jean - is that the "regular" flip and sew? I'm making 2 lap quilts for a friend & his new wife that way. Really quick & easy, isn't it?

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Barb and Pat. Now I'm not sure which to use. I figure the top will be a combo of flannel and denim, the back flannel. I was going to use the homespun between the layers vs using a flannel center layer. I'm using 10" squares which will become 9" using a 1/2 " seam allowance. Figure going seven across for 64 inches (only 1/2 of each block is seamed on the two end blocks), and nine blocks long for 82 ". Didn't think that the homespun would add as much weight as the flannel and would be easier to dry. I know that some of y'all use three layers with cotton being one layer, but thought that some used three flannel layers. Not sure what the dorms are like heat/draft wise.

In Canada we use a backing of cotton (or flannel) and a center batting,
I agree - homespun is much lighter and wouldn't add a lot of weight, nor be as long to dry.
I know that my g'ma used flannel as a center layer as she lived on a farm and cotton batting was expensive and going to town to get some didn't make sense to her.
She didn't have sheep, so using their uncarded wool as a center wasn't an option either.

well just to add to the confusion......I made a rag quilt with denim, and flannels............and I put warm & natural batting in each square......it is thin and light weight, yet warm.....it was "heavy" when completed, but not too heavy. I have an older quilt, that has poly cotton blend bating in it , with all cottons on both sides, and I would say it weighs more than the rag quilt.....

It can get pretty cold, even in Florida!! and some houses here have no heat at all !!!

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

We got down to 24 F last week here.........

Thunder. How did the rag 'fringe' with the W&N? I ws afraid that it would eventually pull off. Leaning back to the homespun. I'm makinga regular dorm quilt for him using warm and natural, so the flannel can be thrown over the other qilt if need be. Think I'm going to go with that as I'm concerned that if he washes the three layer flannel at school, it'll be too heavy for the dorm machines to properly spin and stay wet way too long. Here, I give it to the wash and fold to do the first couple of washes due to the threads and being on septic tank. Thanks everyone for yor input.

Oh. ya... he will not want to wash that in school w&d!!! I'm on sewer but I alway killed one washing machine trying to do the first wash on a rag quilt!!! It was my first rag quilt and it was my sons washer!! Totally overwhelmed the machine and killed it. The repair man wrote it up as "customer abuse"!

Stu - you would cut the batting 9" so it is only in the center of your block, not out in the fringe area. The goal is the stitching btwn the blocks will "just" catch the batting.

"is that the "regular" flip and sew? I'm making 2 lap quilts for a friend & his new wife that way. Really quick & easy, isn't it?"

I'm not sure what flip & sew is.It's just a log cabin with the triangles "over" the corners. Sort-of a cheater Pineapple block

http://quiltwithdonna.com/foldystuffpageb.html

Could this be what everyone is thinking about when the mention "foldy" or "flip and sew"?

My log cabin is "normal" just the corners are lose.

Stu, I don't remember what size squares I did, but I cut the batting 1 inch smaller that the squares, centered it in between the fabrics, and sewed X across each block, to hold together, then sewed blocks together into rows, rows together...then clipped the whole thing....

Marion, that is interesting. Not how I do flip and sew.....I will try to explain......for instance to do a log cabin flip and sew block, to finish at 12''. I would cut a piece of good quality muslin about 13 - 14 '' square. cut batting square same size....fold muslin in half both ways, to find center. pin on back side / wrong side.....lay on table pin down, put batting on top of that, then take your center piece, and feel for your pin...place center in center...over where you felt the pin.right sides up, take next piece, log, and lay on top of center piece, so right sides face each other, and one edge is lined up...raw edges of center and log......stitch together with 1/4 '' seam, flip log over so right side shows, press lightly if you wish, I usually just finger press....turn piece , lay on next log, as before, lining up raw edges, stitch ....flip.....stitch ....flip....all around the cabin.. at some point you can remove the pin from the back side, I have never found it to be in the way of possible sewing over, and I usually remove it after doing the first 2 or 3 logs.....

I have done place mats, mug rugs, and pot holders this way. using a larger square in center of logs, or using smaller center (two small same size squares for first two pieces you put on) "clear as mud??"

that's how I did this mug rug.

Thumbnail by barefootT

Love the mug rug Thunder. The Poster item I posted is just the top, you add backings from what I understand after all the squares are together. I also think I read somewhere that you do not put batting between as it makes it to heavy.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

You are all so creative and I love to see what everyone does. i just finished a rag quilt to take to the chemo room at the Radiation Center I went to. They didn't have any for the people there. i do 9" blocks and make them 6 blocks across and 7 blocks down. That way they are big enough to cover legs and at least up to stomach, even for a tall man. I use cotton fabric and flannel in the middle. They are cozy but not too heavy. How big to any of the rest of you make your rag throw quilts?

Also, Thunder, Jean, some of the rest of you...I am making a quilt using a pattern that all of us at the sewing house have but using my own colors. It is an Irish Chain and done in batiks. I love the pattern but it is only a single and I need a queen. How do you enlarge a quilt when the blocks are intertwined? I would love to make this quilt but need it to be larger.

Marion - I couldn't find a reference to Flip & Sew on the link, but here's what I do..

I put a piece face up in the center of a muslin square (muslin 3/4" bigger than the finished size I want my block so I have room for later trimming) and I "eyeball" it for center.
Then I put another piece upside down on top of it, matching the edges. It can be longer than the original piece, but not shorter. I stitch along the edge, then I flip it so both pieces are now facing up and iron it.
Then I take another piece and lay it face down on top of a face up piece, again matching the edges, and sew the raw edges. Then I flip the face down piece so it's face up too - and iron.
I keep building this way until the muslin is covered.
Then, I turn the whole thing upside down so I see the muslin and trim the entire piece to match the muslin square.

When I get home I can show you pics of finished, and "in progress" ones so you can see what I mean, if you wish.
btw - for the first piece, you don't even need to sew it down, because adding the 2nd piece and sewing it will stitch it down to the muslin.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Janice, here's one site I found that may help.

http://www.how-to-quilt.com/articles/1106-irish-chain-quilt.php

Here is another:

http://www.antiquecityquilters.com/patterns/IrishChain.pdf

This message was edited Jan 10, 2012 12:58 PM

Susan, I posted the link thinking people were thinking of the foldy method Donna Poster uses as the flip and sew method. No, there are no references on that site--entirely different process. I have a book on flip and sew, which I discovered going through boxes last night.

ah - gotcha, Marion!
My sister Alice tried to describe how to do Flip And Sew, over the phone, but I Could Not "get" it until I saw an online pattern/directions. Sew easy!! Sure helps make use of small bits of material in your stash!

That it does.

Janice what size blocks are you making for your Irish Chain quilt?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.